What Current Anime Are You Watching Version v4.0

wolfx

How the FRICK did A) This junk get popular and more importantly B) Why did this get Anime Grand Prix's Anime of The Year Award? WHY? Stuff like

Mobile Suit Gundam, SEED, and Destiny, Ideon, Evangelion, God Mars, Nadesico: Prince of Darkness, Nausicaa, Laputa, the first Full Metal Alchemist, Nadia, and both halves of Code Geass. While I have issues with the last three on the list, I can somewhat understand WHY they'd win that, they are somewhat entertaining when they try to be. THIS?....... I............ Don't even........... Just...... Someone

either really liked girly junk at the time or someone associated with the series bribed them! Just.... GAH! Before anyone asks yes I've been watching it subbed because I saw the first episode dubbed and upon comparison (because I heard how badly edited episodes were) all I am going to say is "WHY THE HELL WOULD YOU OUT FIVE MINUTES OF AN

EPISODE!?" That is just plain ridonkulous.

A) A well animated kids show based on a popular manga for girls involving card games (which were popular at the time) and it appealed to both genders.

B) It's a popularity contest, not an award for critically acclaimed works. You may have noticed that all winners are TV-series for younger audiences that were broadcast during normal hours or (Ghibli) movies. No obscure late anime/otaku stuff (before anyone comments, K-on was also broadcast on the Disney channel).

it appealed to both genders.

Given how girly it is I find that difficult to swallow. Why would any normal boy want to watch junk like this?

all winners are TV-series for younger audiences that were broadcast during normal hours

I would not have a clue given that I don't know when any anime I watched aired during the day nor do I really care.

Given how girly it is I find that difficult to swallow. Why would any normal boy want to watch junk like this?

Sayoran was a popular character and I'm sure the card game element helped. Gundam Seed works the reverse, girls loved the male characters. That show still has a massive fujoshi following

I would not have a clue given that I don't know when any anime I watched aired during the day nor do I really care.

Don't complain then if you don't understand why some anime can win the anime grand prix.

Don't complain then if you don't understand why some anime can win the anime grand prix.

I didn't even know how they won.

Sayoran was a popular character and I'm sure the card game element helped.

I haven't seen a card game so far, just hunting them like a knockoff of Pokemon. I also don't see how Li being popular would have helped, that's like saying boys would watch Sailor Moon because it has a male character in it. I honestly don't get the logic in that.

That show still has a massive fujoshi following

I thought we were talking about general popularity, not the otaku crowd.

I've bought the ADV discs years ago. It's quite different, combination of very realistic mechanical design, supernatural elements and a political thriller, bit of a GITS feel. Definitely benefits from marathons or watching it in chunks as the plot is rather convoluted.

I thought it was quite alright though not great as characters were a bit bland.

I liked Gasaraki, but it can be a bit slow and the characters are definitely bland. The ending is a bit out there too. The mech designs were pretty neat and I really liked the soundtrack (early 90s techno-ish). Maybe I'm just nostalgic because I watched it before turning into a jaded anime watcher and still thought every show was cool.

Thanks guys. I'll give it a go.

If there is a manga thread then I apologies and you can feel free to move this post. I was wondering, has anyone hear ever read or heard of Red Prowling Devil? About a female pilot and her Mig-29 trying to avoid a life sentence for downing a civilian aircraft. It really flew under the radar and I only discovered its existence after finding an old Newtype magazine and paging through it.

o04f1v.jpg

Edited by Shadow

If there is a manga thread then I apologies and you can feel free to move this post. I was wondering, has anyone hear ever read or heard of Red Prowling Devil? About a female pilot and her Mig-29 trying to avoid a life sentence for downing a civilian aircraft. It really flew under the radar and I only discovered its existence after finding an old Newtype magazine and paging through it.

o04f1v.jpg

I vaguely remember flipping through it. IIRC, it was more about shower scenes than about the plane.

I just finished some anime called Vandread and needless to say it was very stupid. On one hand the music was awful, every character save for the old lady, that doctor guy, and Meia was unlikeable (Jura and Deta especially), the final battle was disappointing, and the idea of gender wars was vastly under played. On the other hand, the pacing was surprisingly good, I did like the mechs and the Nirava, the Harvest in and of itself was cool, and the mascot was amusing. Also, how is this a harem series? It looks like a more bad love triangle between two selfish snobs with one of them being a ufologist. This series might have been awesome if they actually made a gender war, you know, LEGIT. Like actual fighting between the two outside of the first episode. For some reason this series reminds me of Nadesico except without the pointless otaku and bureaucrat jokes; speaking of which I finally grew a heart with their aestivalises and other mecha. Sorry Nadesico, your mechs were not bad at all, it just took me a while to accept you.

Anyway, I will watch Second Stage soon, but recently I found spots to watch some really beloved cult anime called MD Geist which seems to be up my ally, I wonder if it'll be death metal and violence? It seems actiony enough.

Edited by DuelGundam2099

So duel.... according to you M.D. Geist is awesome and Vandread is stupid....

What's the weather like on bizarro world right now?

Also given your abject disgust of anything of a sexual nature versus taking extreme pleasure in ultra violence tells me you might have some issues you might need to see a psycologist for.

o04f1v.jpg

I've read it. The main problem I had with the manga was that the lead heroine wasn't very likeable due to her being a former IRA terrorist guilty of shooting down airliners. Also, IIRC, the series was cancelled without finishing. The author, Toshimitsu Shimizu does decent air combat manga but this series just didn't work for me.

If you're looking for a really good air combat manga, check out Toshio Kasahara's "Reds in Blue" series. (if you can read Japanese)

Edited by Vifam7

So duel.... according to you M.D. Geist is awesome and Vandread is stupid....

How are they not?

What's the weather like on bizarro world right now?

Could not tell you since I never been.

you might have some issues you might need to see a psycologist for

I can assure you no psychologist will help me get over this.

strawlast_zps3de91f29.png~original

Here DG, let me save you some time by writing everypozt you'll ever write for you.

"Good anime: It was stupid, and the music was terrible.

Bad anime: I really loved it, but the sex scene should be cut."

There you go, every review you'll ever write has been written. Now you can just sit back quietly.

Now if only that had any truth to it.

Anyway, I watched MD Geist 2 earlier, this easily made my top 20 anime of all time with it upping the action scenes, including the final battle, and reduced the sex junk. I also started watching Vandread: The Second Stage and like before it is still stupid except the effects and action have somewhat improved, real shame the new character is also annoying. I did like the back story of the Harvest though.

Edited by DuelGundam2099

I'm not going to say MD Geist is the worst thing ever, but it's really f*ck bad, and the only reason anyone even remembers it is because the guy who runs central park media is completely obsessed with it.

Just watched up through Oreimo Season 2 ep 5, sh!t is about to get real! Also, OMFG, Kuroneko's outfit in this episode!!

Yeah, Shironeko (White Cat).

No one might have noticed, but Haruka Chisuga acted in the ep. 5. Here's the picture.

post-14942-0-30040600-1368532957_thumb.jpg

I wonder if she wants to be both a VA and a singer.

I watched Code Geass: Akito the Exiled. Better than I had expected. Maaya Sakamoto's new character is good and she may be the key person of the story. During the first 5 minutes or so, my chest pained and I devoted to the story easily. I am looking forward to the sequel because both C.C. and Suzaku appear in the preview of the ep. 2.

My favorite animes now on airing are Yamato2199, Gargantia, Red Data Girl, and Oreimo.

RDG is a good one, but when you watch it, you need the knowledge about Buddhism (especially Esoteric Buddhism), Shugendo, and Onmyodo (The Way of Yin and Yang). It's no easy for westerners to understand them.

I didn't like Madoka Magica, but Gargantia is good. This time, Urobuchi's story is detailed, and I love it.

Edited by antibiotictab

You know RaptorMesh, both MD Geist movies are on Hulu so it is not like they are not available.

I tried watching Guilty Crown but the villains were so over-the-top bad that I couldn't watch it anymore. Its like someone watched Code Geass and missed the point about the villains.

The GHQ seemed like awesome villains to me.

Even if I did I would still be considered as irredeemable as colon cancer, so really there is no point in changing at all. Besides, I don't fake ignorance or even know what "feign" means. (sounds like Finnish flan if you ask me)

"Irredeemable as colon cancer," eh? Yeah, that's pretty much it.

So...where you goin' next? Robotech.com? RobotechX.com? AnimeSuki?

Why would you ask?

Err... no reason. Just wondering.

EDIT: interesting reason, re: DualGundam2099... "There is no way to get rid of him short of banning. Even after he pulled a ZOMG LEAVING AND NEVER COMING BACK, he was back in a few days and returned to all his bitching and whining. The only way to get rid of him is to ban him, and then he'll move on to the next forum and constantly whine about being banned from MW."

Edited by Gubaba

"Irredeemable as colon cancer," eh? Yeah, that's pretty much it.

So...where you goin' next? Robotech.com? RobotechX.com? AnimeSuki?

A troubadour?

Getting back on topic before people start derailing it for no logical reason, still going through the other half of Vandread and not much changes outside of samurai hair woman dying (which causes the gun freak to change outfits for some reason) and a new Vandread showing up. I was expecting a little more, but I guess that is too much to ask for.

Edited by DuelGundam2099