What Current Anime Are You Watching Version v4.0

wolfx

Currently up to ep 10 of Trigun.......... Kind of boring. I thought I was getting a sci-fi western with action, but all I am getting is badly executed comedy set in the old west with a sci-fi element here and there and the occasional gun battle just to remind the audience that it wants their attention. I liked the sci-fi western anime when it was called Xabungle, I liked the refined version when it was called Ryu Knight, and I liked the modern CGI enhanced version when it was called Gun X Sword.

Currently up to ep 10 of Trigun.......... Kind of boring. I thought I was getting a sci-fi western with action, but all I am getting is badly executed comedy set in the old west with a sci-fi element here and there and the occasional gun battle just to remind the audience that it wants their attention. I liked the sci-fi western anime when it was called Xabungle, I liked the refined version when it was called Ryu Knight, and I liked the modern CGI enhanced version when it was called Gun X Sword.

It's called characterization. Keep watching; it pays off.

You may not like 'em all so much by the end... just sayin'. ;)

Yeah, I've heard a little - but no real specifics. Don't spoil me, bro!

Going in, I'm taking the approach that, in a story - you want the characters to do the right thing. However IRL, people sometimes do the right thing, but seem to do the wrong/dumb/selfish/weak thing just as often. One of the reasons I'm giving this series a chance (aside from being a nifty concept & design) is that it seems like the director is willing to let his characters take the latter approach.

I am not a troll though, these are my real opinions.

Okay, you're just bizarre then. DuelGundam2099... you should meet CoryHolmes. Everything that everyone else likes, he hates. Everything that everyone else hates, he likes. You two should get along fine.

I don't want to be an impediment, but I actually didn't like Trigun as much as I thought I would. Maybe it's because I read a little bit of the manga beforehand, but it was rather....boring (if that's a fair word?).

At the same time, I wouldn't say it's a terrible series, and I would encourage you to stick it out till the end DuelGundam, as it does pick up a lot more near the end :)

Let's all be friends guys :D

I don't want to be an impediment, but I actually didn't like Trigun as much as I thought I would. Maybe it's because I read a little bit of the manga beforehand, but it was rather....boring (if that's a fair word?).

At the same time, I wouldn't say it's a terrible series, and I would encourage you to stick it out till the end DuelGundam, as it does pick up a lot more near the end :)

Let's all be friends guys :D

We can be friends with CoryHolmes. Totally. :D

I will stick to the end as I have never dropped an anime in my life; albeit I came really close with the first Nanoha series and Goldran. *shrivels* I will give Trigun credit of not having anything "bad" about it and I'll admit Vash is a neat character. I simply wouldn't say "Top 5 of all time forever etcetra". ;)

And lets get this out of the way: I am not a troll, I am not retarded, I do not have any mental disorders, I am not stupid, and I am not a hipster. I actually sit down, watch whatever it is I am watching in it's entirety, look at it from the intended paradigm for what it is trying to accomplish, judge it by it's own merits and see how it stacks up to other entities of the genre within peers of similar budget class, target audience, and time of creation. My judgment boils down to A) Does it find a proper primary audience, be it the intended primary audience or a solid substitute B) Are the techniques executed well enough to convey whatever it is it is trying to do and C) Does it click with me.

Edited by DuelGundam2099

Right now I'm watching Brain Powered which is a sci-fi series by Gundam's original creator Yoshiyuki Tomino. I find it to pretty good so far. After that I plan on getting into finding the original Macross as a starting point.

I didn't really like Trigun either. Vash was too goofy to take seriously. I probably shouldn't have watched it dubbed. Felt the same thing with Trinity Blood.

When I checked out the trailer, there was another youtube video that mashed up PR & Eva. That whole "To fight monsters, we created monsters" bit. Thanks for the advice, I'll stick with streaming the original series (1 episode during breakfast), then see where it goes from there. Like I said, I'm not far in - but I'm liking that the characters are all flawed.

At least wait after dinner for Eva. Yes, that sounds ridiculous, but trust me.

I recently watched the X-Men Anime on Crackle, the story and the art were damn good. Emma Frost was extremely sexy.

I also watched Clannad and Clannad After Story, and I have to admit it made me cry and I've never cried watching anything ever. Seriously I cried like a pussy LOL!

Damn, the rate at which some people here manage to consume this stuff amazes me. Don't y'all have work/school to go to?

As for me, batched Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood on blu between Nov-Jan. Was very impressed by its tight storytelling (probably due to Ohnogi's involvement) and thought that the fight scenes were exceptionally well done.

Since then I've been doing mostly theatrical features - Evangelion 3.0, Berserk 3, DBZ Battle of Gods.

Am keeping up with Yamato 2199 as it comes out (I see each chapter twice at the cinema and then follow up with the blurays) but that goes without saying since imo it may well be the best SF anime series of the decade.

Picked up the recent re-release of Madbull 34 and am loving how terrible it is. Will be rewatching Crying Freeman next.

Apart from that, I picked up the R4 DVD boxset of Denno Coil - am only 7 eps in and probably wont be able to return to watching it until Golden Week at the end of the month but so far the show is a delight. It seems to have come from this parallel universe where ghibli not only did tv, they did stories that were topical and that people gave a damn about. Similar feeling to the one I had back when Summer Wars came out.

Up to episode 21 in Trigun. I will admit, it did get better, but still nowhere to the point of "best anime ever" level status. I also just watched some weird three episode OVA called Kigurumikku V3, a magical girl parody of old toku shows and WOW was it bad. Aside from a few jokes I kind of thought were funny there was nothing good about it, just bad fight scenes with random dialogue, too much fanservice (some of it being loli related, ewe), horrendous execution, and constantly dropped plot lines. Second worst anime I have ever seen, I would say first but Nanoha still clings to that title and still does so many things worse. *shrivels* At least this did not have bad music.

Edited by DuelGundam2099

I just finished Trigun.... Not much payoff even if the final battle was kind of good. They could have also explained what exactly the plants were and why Vash and Knives had free will. Not only that, but why is the series called Trigun anyway? Nobody had three guns or anything.

On that note, because the other 3/4ths of SD Gundam Force won't be available for a while, I am going to let YOU GUYS decide what I should see next! Here are the choices and with brief descriptions of what I think I know:

-Another (some anime released last year about a girl with an eye patch and paranormal stuff)

-Blood + (some anime that has vampires; I did not enjoy The Last Vampire but I thought the live action adaption was good)

-Black Lagoon (some anime about mercenaries that do not pertain to the Universal Horror classic starring Gillman)

-Death Note (some anime about shinigamis and killer notebooks starring a guy named after a letter)

-Cowboy Bebop (some anime about a Keanu Reeves guy featuring jazz and a toxic blob in one episode; many call it the best anime ever for some reason)

-Berserk (some anime set in the medieval ages starring manly men and monsters; abridged by the same guy that abridged Escaflowne)

-Guilty Crown (some anime from two years ago about something or other starring some chick in a wheelchair that gets kidnapped a lot; also has a Christmas special)

-Hellsing (some anime about vampires starring the son of Dracula and nazis)

-Inukami! (some anime about fairies and sex jokes or something)

-Cybuster (the infamous adaption of the Banpresto original featuring name changes and supposedly a whiny blonde taking the place of Valsione's pilot.... Crap I forgot her name. Granzon and Shu are in it too)

-Miami Guns (some cop anime about rollerblade girls set in Chris Guanche's backyard)

-Night Head Genesis (some psychological anime with horror and crime about possessed criminals)

-Outlaw Star (some anime that was on Toonami about a guy with an X scar going through space)

-Haruhi Suzumiya (some anime about middle schoolers fighting an alien cricket and the main character having god powers or something)

-Girls und Panzer (some anime released late last year about tanks with none of the pilots having Y chromosomes, probably 'cause the club is sexist)

-Great Teacher Onizuka (some anime about a teacher being funny)

-VS Knight and Fire 40 Fresh (some anime that is a sequel to VS Lamune and 40 and the only anime to appear in the Another Century Episode games I have not seen)

Now I'm off to be morbidly depressed 'cause nobody wants a kicked puppy. :(

Edited by DuelGundam2099

Agent Aika was mediocre and the sequels were detestable. I have also never seen Robotech so I'm not watching a sequel movie. Puni Puni won't happen until I see Excel Saga. As for E.Y.E.S., which I am not going to lie does remind me of Ultraman Cosmos, lets see. *searches* *finds it* Yeah, that can work.

I just finished Trigun.... Not much payoff even if the final battle was kind of good. They could have also explained what exactly the plants were and why Vash and Knives had free will. Not only that, but why is the series called Trigun anyway? Nobody had three guns or anything.

:edit:

For someone who claims to not be a troll, you sure come off as one. just saying. :mellow:

Edited by anime52k8

I suggest you watch Death Note. I might come off as a fanboy, but it really was a fun and keep you involved series :)

Also, as for how I consume anime while balancing everything out, I tend to watch an episode of my favorite anime during breakfast, lunch, and dinner, with maybe 1 more in between. Classes and studying take up the rest of my time, so I get 4 episodes a day worth of free time (unless it's a lax week).

You can get through a lot of anime when anime is really the only fun thing you do everyday :ph34r:

For someone who claims to not be a troll, you sure come off as one.

Why? All I did was ask a question as to why something was titled something irrelevant.

Astro Plan

I can't find it at MAL or AniDB so I guess I can't see it. As for Archer's suggestion, if nobody else makes one, sure I'll take on the note of death.