What Current Anime Are You Watching Version v4.0

wolfx

But where's the fun in that?.

So far I'm having an absolute ball! Also just started Gargantia, and I'm up to ep 7. Like where it's going so far, though it reminds me a lot of Eureka Seven.

I just started watching Lucky Star last night. it's odd, I like the show and find it funny, but I can't for the life of me explain what about it I like/find funny.

What's not to like about Lucky Star? It's fast paced otaku oriented slice of life.

Dunno about you but I like how it pokes fun at anime cliches and the otaku lifestyle, as well as Kagami's reaction to it all.

The viewers outside of Japan may not understand easily how amusing Lucky Star is.

It was filled with many anime parodies. I loled at the Initial D parody scene.

There are some other animes like that nowadays i.e. Gintama and Nyaruko-san, but in 2007, Lucky Star was the forerunner.

The fact that "Only anime fans can understand it" is a very interesting thing.

And there is the other element. I sometimes go to Gamers, Toranoana, Animate in Akiba; those shops appeared in the anime and Konata and the others go to actually exist.

Gamers Akihabara, Kagami bought "Lelouch's novel" at this shop, you remember?

post-14942-0-57664400-1372119548_thumb.jpg

Oh, I actually went to Washinomiya Shrine last April and took some pictures. You know where the place is.

post-14942-0-56659200-1372119593_thumb.jpeg

There are Steins;Gate and Oreimo, too, but in 2007, it was also a forerunner.

Because of them, we have come to have friendly feeling towards the anime characters. That's why the Japanese anime fans love Lucky Star.

Edited by antibiotictab

The viewers outside of Japan may not understand easily how amusing Lucky Star is.

It was filled with many anime parodies. I loled at the Initial D parody scene.

There are some other animes like that nowadays i.e. Gintama and Nyaruko-san, but in 2007, Lucky Star was the forerunner.

They've been doing anime parodies and in-jokes long before Lucky Star. Such as Gainax's Gunbuster and Otaku no Video.

What was unique about Lucky Star was that it was based on a 4-koma manga which ran in a popular computer game magazine (Comptiq). It already had a built in fanbase and with the anime being produced by Kyoto Animation (which was still hot from the megahit Suzumiya Haruhi), anime fans were ready to hop on board.

Ofcourse it did help that it was filled with anime and game references.

I personally felt that Lucky Star was decent when it just about Konata and gang. However, I never understood or enjoyed all of those Lucky Channel segments and horribly sung endings with Minoru Shiraishi.

They've been doing anime parodies and in-jokes long before Lucky Star. Such as Gainax's Gunbuster and Otaku no Video.

Those were long ago and old. About 20 years before Lucky Star and the main fans of it were not born at the time. The experience of watching it for them was something new, and they didn't care about the old animes at all.

On the other hand, as for parody things, Daitarn III was 10 years older than them. It means Gainax did not do that first. Tomino and Nihon Sunrise had ever done such kinds of things before.

Every time I feel that the foreign people tend to ignore the chronological order. I wonder if they are picking up what they want to watch at random doing piracy...

However, I never understood or enjoyed all of those Lucky Channel segments and horribly sung endings with Minoru Shiraishi.

Me neither. I did, however, laugh at the Akira character lampooning the hell out of Japan's female idol culture, putting on a Kawaii demeanor like a second skin, and then all gruff and mean when discussing her earnings and screen time.

The Minoru Shiraishi ending song thing, though, I couldn't stomach.

What, I thought Project A-Ko was the new hotness! ^_^

But how about something like Excel Saga then? Thats no-where near as old as some of the other titles here and parodied a LOT of stuff, Matsumoto Leiji in particular.

Every time I feel that the foreign people tend to ignore the chronological order. I wonder if they are picking up what they want to watch at random doing piracy...[/size]

Not necessarily. You forget, DVD print runs are not as limited or expensive outside of japan. I can walk into a DVD store (JB hi-fi) in Australia and pick up Madoka on bluray. On the same shelf they have Mahoromatic amd (until recently) Mospeada. The next section will have Nana next to Nausica. And these are usually available at a decent price. The project A-Ko boxset has been available for $30 or so for a decade.

Also, theres been a surge in classic titles released outside of Japan. Lupin the 3rd FINALLY JUST got a DVD release. As did the Rose or versaille. My last dvd order included Rose of Versaille, Mad Bull, and Kids on the Slope. Just because something is an old production doesnt mean fans today cant get their hands on it legally.

What, I thought Project A-Ko was the new hotness! ^_^

But how about something like Excel Saga then? Thats no-where near as old as some of the other titles here and parodied a LOT of stuff, Matsumoto Leiji in particular.

Not necessarily. You forget, DVD print runs are not as limited or expensive outside of japan. I can walk into a DVD store (JB hi-fi) in Australia and pick up Madoka on bluray. On the same shelf they have Mahoromatic amd (until recently) Mospeada. The next section will have Nana next to Nausica. And these are usually available at a decent price. The project A-Ko boxset has been available for $30 or so for a decade.

Also, theres been a surge in classic titles released outside of Japan. Lupin the 3rd FINALLY JUST got a DVD release. As did the Rose or versaille. My last dvd order included Rose of Versaille, Mad Bull, and Kids on the Slope. Just because something is an old production doesnt mean fans today cant get their hands on it legally.

And let's not forget that there is a lot of stuff released in other languages too. My last trip to Paris I was amazed at the amount of classic anime that could be had (with french subtitles of course). I'd never seen so many Matsumoto series together in one place. Series that have been sold out for years in english (like Maison Ikkoku) could be had relatively cheap too. I've been told that in Italy you can get a lot of older anime as well. I suppose that in those markets, the cost of licensing is significantly cheaper.

Let's not be so mean guys, I think your flaming the poor guy (DuelGundam) too much, and for no good reason beyond mismatched tastes.

Everyone can be happy if everyone is considerate :)

Sorry, my initial response to anyone flouncing (http://gothic-charm-school.com/charm/?p=82) is to give them hell when they come back (as they always do).

It's not the mismatched tastes, it's the "I'm never posting here again... until I do, because you don't miss me enough" mentality.

Anyway, not current, but I've been rewatching Orguss, and finding it pretty great.

Quick question about Gundam SEED: what the hell is going on with the character animation in the first episode? I mean it get's slightly better in the second but the first it look likes everyone's faces are made of melting piles of flesh tone butter.

Not necessarily.

I know. I often read Anime News Network and find some new release advertisements of Anime BDs/ DVDs. I even bought some issues of Otaku USA. There was also much release information.
But I know couple of facts.
In MyAnimeList, the "Fansubbing Groups" information is still written on each titles.
Bandai Entertainment quitted its business in America, even though they had some great titles like Gungam, Haruhi Suzumiya, and K-on season 1.
I sometimes see the requests of VideoRips here in MW.
I wonder why such facts are existing.
The words "not necessarily" have quite high versatility.
Would you please answer the questions I have clearly?
No offense. Because I know you also hate such piracy things.

I know. I often read Anime News Network and find some new release advertisements of Anime BDs/ DVDs. I even bought some issues of Otaku USA. There was also much release information.
But I know couple of facts.
In MyAnimeList, the "Fansubbing Groups" information is still written on each titles.
Bandai Entertainment quitted its business in America, even though they had some great titles like Gungam, Haruhi Suzumiya, and K-on season 1.

The big problem is that DVDs (and Blu-Rays...and CDs) are MUCH cheaper in the US than in Japan. If you ask US fans to pay Japanese prices, they won't. Because it's three times more than the usual US price.

So Bandai closed because they tried to impose Japanese pricing on American product, and nobody bought it. And Bandai got angry about that.

Quick question about Gundam SEED: what the hell is going on with the character animation in the first episode? I mean it get's slightly better in the second but the first it look likes everyone's faces are made of melting piles of flesh tone butter.

You really went and watch HD didn't you? I don't know because I only watched the regular version, but the anime is old so eh.

Those were long ago and old. About 20 years before Lucky Star and the main fans of it were not born at the time. The experience of watching it for them was something new, and they didn't care about the old animes at all.

On the other hand, as for parody things, Daitarn III was 10 years older than them. It means Gainax did not do that first. Tomino and Nihon Sunrise had ever done such kinds of things before.

Every time I feel that the foreign people tend to ignore the chronological order. I wonder if they are picking up what they want to watch at random doing piracy...

I doubt many fans have a clear view on the history of anime before the arrival of widespread broadband internet. Information before that time was hard to come by and, while generalizing, most fans are not particularly interested in older material. This board is a bit of an exception given the preference for mecha.

Fansubs help fans with one of the major problems: Fans have limited money, they can spend it only once. So many fans want to try before they buy. In absence of Japanese TV networks that broadcast anime, fansubs were the only way to sample material (before streaming services like crunchy roll). Western fans on average do spend money but rather on merchandise and collectors editions of material they like. Licensed anime on physical media like DVD has become a ultra niche market for fans that want dubs, especially outside of the major markets like the US and France.

If you ask US fans to pay Japanese prices, they won't. Because it's three times more than the usual US price.

But Japanese fans buy them...
They know the revenue for anime companies mainly depends on the BD/ DVD sales, not on the toys and the others recently.
The business model now is so different from that of 70s and 80s.
That's why the fans hate the pirates.
---
Gai*in?!?!
They are doing piracy just because they think anime is a kind of entertainment which is watchable free of charge, huh?
We never think of such ga*jin bastards as "anime fans." Just thieves, not our fellows.
---
Before Crunchyroll, I had often read such an opinion over and over again on the personal blogs in Japan.
I welcome the official online broadcast, but hate the piracy.

The big problem is that DVDs (and Blu-Rays...and CDs) are MUCH cheaper in the US than in Japan. If you ask US fans to pay Japanese prices, they won't. Because it's three times more than the usual US price.

So Bandai closed because they tried to impose Japanese pricing on American product, and nobody bought it. And Bandai got angry about that.

No, Bandai Visual closed it's U.S. branch because of the higher Japanese price structure. Bandai Entertainment closed because of the shinking market.

What is piracy in your opinion?

Literally. Check the dictionary before asking me.
Officially, good, but unauthorized, bad. So easy to understand?

You really went and watch HD didn't you? I don't know because I only watched the regular version, but the anime is old so eh.

Yeah it's old but I watched it back to back with the first episode of Gundam Wing for a comparison and Wing looks a hundred times better and it's six years older.

Literally. Check the dictionary before asking me.
Officially, good, but unauthorized, bad. So easy to understand?

I didn't ask for a textbook definition, but an opinion on the topic given the grey areas. I'll be nice and assume it's a lack of English comprehension, not a case of shitty attitude, but thanks for answering anyway. I'll leave it at that.

But Japanese fans buy them...
They know the revenue for anime companies mainly depends on the BD/ DVD sales, not on the toys and the others recently.
The business model now is so different from that of 70s and 80s.
That's why the fans hate the pirates.
---
Gai*in?!?!
They are doing piracy just because they think anime is a kind of entertainment which is watchable free of charge, huh?
We never think of such ga*jin bastards as "anime fans." Just thieves, not our fellows.
---
Before Crunchyroll, I had often read such an opinion over and over again on the personal blogs in Japan.
I welcome the official online broadcast, but hate the piracy.

You're, I think, missing my point. Yes, Japanese fans will pay Japanese prices for DVDs and Blu-Rays, but for Americans, It's MUCH more than they're used to. Japanese albums (on CD) are also ¥3000, but US albums are about $18.00. Asking anything more than $20.00 for an album will result in American fans not buying them.

That said, the toys and merchandise for anime is MUCH more expensive in the US. When the first edition of Macross Chronicle came out, the Los Angeles branch of Kinokuniya was charging $15.00 per issue. And I bought them. So did many others. Would Japanese fans pay such a price...?

On the topic of buying anime...

I do not know about the actual statistics; however, my own habits have changed with the advent of anime on Blu-ray. For instance, streaming content is great for keeping up with the current, popular shows, but I find more value in the remastered physical HD releases when buying stuff such as Miyazaki. Actually, I think the price for Gundam Unicorn is a wash and so I try to support the local US distributor when I buy that series.

I do wish the bottom hadn't fallen out of the US anime market because I miss how the packaging used to resemble Japanese releases somewhat. Personally, I find value in good packaging and extra content. Even UK imports have extras like bloopers or then-and-now history reels to go along with commentaries and the actual show. It seems that more and more US releases are becoming lean, unless they are collector's editions, and then they are priced accordingly.

But, back on topic, I am currently watching the following:

Kiki's Delivery Service on Blu (my latest Miyazaki import to arrive)

Yamato 2199 (waiting, impatiently, for the next release; I like making comparisons with the original; both are fantastic)

Gargantia on the Verdurous Planet (fun, if predictable)

Attack on Titan (I wasn't sure about this at first, but then it got curiouser and curiouser; I am ignoring the manga to avoid spoilers)

You're, I think, missing my point. Yes, Japanese fans will pay Japanese prices for DVDs and Blu-Rays, but for Americans, It's MUCH more than they're used to. Japanese albums (on CD) are also ¥3000, but US albums are about $18.00. Asking anything more than $20.00 for an album will result in American fans not buying them.

American fans do get better prices on domestic release anime DVDs and Blu-rays. Yet, the perception is that many still do not buy them. Considering that a number of domestic anime companies fell off the screen in recent times, it's hard not have that perception. And too often I've heard American anime fans asking where they can download (for free) such and such anime title when there is a perfectly legitimate DVD/Blu-ray release out there.

That said, the toys and merchandise for anime is MUCH more expensive in the US. When the first edition of Macross Chronicle came out, the Los Angeles branch of Kinokuniya was charging $15.00 per issue. And I bought them. So did many others. Would Japanese fans pay such a price...?

Ah, I see. Actually expensive, and some DVDs/ BDs for America are sold in Akiba much cheaper than those for Japan.

I bought many imported CDs from Amazon.co.jp.

But I want to say, Japan-made CDs/ DVDs/ BDs are actually expensive, because "that's how it is" and you should be adapted.

Well, it's gonna be controversial again.

Would Japanese fans pay such a price...?

They will definitely buy them even though they were so expensive, because Japanese anime fans are incredibly enthusiastic. Even though a slump, only the otaku market was booming.

For instance, after K-on the movie, the London tours of JAL were easily sold out. 250,000 yen for each, not cheap, but many fans went to the places where HTT members went to in the movie, you know.

"That's how they are."

But I want to say, Japan-made CDs/ DVDs/ BDs are actually expensive, because "that's how it is" and you should be adapted.

And that's the problem. The Japanese companies make American fans wait a year or more before releasing the DVDs in the US...and then expect them to pay THREE TIMES more than they're expecting... THREE TIMES more than whatever Hollywood movie just came out.

"That's how it is" doesn't work. Bandai's solution of "Let's just forget about the US market and close our US office" also doesn't work.

Me, I bought each volume of Macross Plus on VHS for $19.99. I bought 13 volumes of Evangelion TV for $29.99 each. That seemed expensive at the time. Suddenly upping that price makes people rebel. What if Japanese CDs suddenly jumped to ¥9000? No one would buy them.

All I know is that I've got a Gurren Lagann bluray box waiting for me at home today, and it's gonna blow away the DVD's that were released domestically. Totally worgh the import price with all of the extra's.

And that's the problem. The Japanese companies make American fans wait a year or more before releasing the DVDs in the US...and then expect them to pay THREE TIMES more than they're expecting... THREE TIMES more than whatever Hollywood movie just came out.

"That's how it is" doesn't work. Bandai's solution of "Let's just forget about the US market and close our US office" also doesn't work.

Me, I bought each volume of Macross Plus on VHS for $19.99. I bought 13 volumes of Evangelion TV for $29.99 each. That seemed expensive at the time. Suddenly upping that price makes people rebel. What if Japanese CDs suddenly jumped to ¥9000? No one would buy them.

There was a time when one 40 minute episode of Bubblegum Crisis on VHS tape from AnimEigo cost US$40. :)

The market tends to dictate the cost. Even though there are more American anime fans today than there were back in the 90's, it appears that many today simply don't buy the DVDs. You can partly blame the pirates for why the prices have jumped up.

There was a time when one 40 minute episode of Bubblegum Crisis on VHS tape from AnimEigo cost US$40. :)

The market tends to dictate the cost. Even though there are more American anime fans today than there were back in the 90's, it appears that many today simply don't buy the DVDs. You can partly blame the pirates for why the prices have jumped up.

That was around the time when you paid $40 to $80 for a regular movie on VHS. On-demand technology has driven down prices of media content to the point physical media can hardly compete, except through large internet retailers. Media brick and mortar stores are dropping like flies.

The only thing that seems to get more and more expensive is the bloody footy <_<. Broadcasters are charging me a fortune to see the big 4 leagues and the CL...

Ah, controversial and off-topic it becomes again, and I will be scolded soon.
Gubaba, I don't know it clearly, but "the middlemen" exist many and the prices become so expensive for the consumers in the end, someone says.
If it were true, I wonder if the distribution system could be more simple or not...

Back to the topic.
The summer season will soon start. I will watch these animes below.
FREE
Tamayura More Aggressive
Symphogear G
Servant Service
Genshiken Nidaime
Uchoten Kazoku
Watasi ga Motenai noha Dou Kangaetemo Omaera ga Warui
Kimi no Iru Machi (A town where you live)
Gatchaman Crowds
Anohana (re-brodcast)

Back to the topic.

The summer season will soon start. I will watch these animes below.

Servant Service

Watasi ga Motenai noha Dou Kangaetemo Omaera ga Warui

I love the manga for these two. Very excited in watching the anime version.

Earlier I finished the second Cardcaptor Sakura movie and I can safely say this is the worst anime movie I have ever seen, even worse than Tales From Earthsea. It was basically the boring parts of the series and was completely useless. I probably might have given this movie a break if they had foreshadowed the Hope card in the series, but when the movie itself is more about nonsensical slice of life junk than actual plot then that is a serious issue. Plus the music is bleh. Kero's antics barely saved this, in fact the franchise as a whole would be collectively horrific without him doing something funny. I.... GAH! Why can't CLAMP make something fun? The saddest part is that the ten minute Leave it to Kero bit for this movie was better than the rest of the franchise. Maybe CLAMP should be doing anime similar to Looney Toons or something.

Also started watching the infamous Cybuster anime yesterday and despite being only two episodes in and it being clear adaption rape, music aside there is nothing bad about this. It really seems like a typical real robot series so far and it is set up nicely with.... WHAT!? A GOOD FIRST EPISODE!? NO WAY! I will definitely have to keep an eye on this one!

Edited by DuelGundam2099

I love the manga for these two. Very excited in watching the anime version.

I'm thinking of checking out those 2 as well if Crunchyroll has them on their roster. Both look pretty fun. I'm also gonna catch Monogatari 2nd season which will be streamed by Daisuki/Aniplex.