Whats Lying on your Workbench MK IV

Urashiman

1 hour ago, nightmareB4macross said:

Still have tons of fun with this build.image.jpeg.b6ee6b4a277baf928e47c82748fd5210.jpeg

Nice! That answers the question of whether or not a 1/60 pilot can fit in a 1/55. 

Your custom work is topnotch on these vintage Valk's. 

1 hour ago, 505thAirborne said:

Nice! That answers the question of whether or not a 1/60 pilot can fit in a 1/55. 

Your custom work is topnotch on these vintage Valk's. 

Thank you. I have always wanted a really nice 1/55.

Now is the time. ;) 

FYI - The pilot is 1/48.

Edited by nightmareB4macross

Ok, confession time.... I'm sure you've heard the old saying "don't marry the girl until you lived with her for a while"....LOL.. Well... same rule applies with small portable air compressors. The little silver rechargeable one just wasn't cutting the mustard. It was great at first BUT the EXTREMELY odd sized attachment was a royal PITA honestly. I ordered adaptors on top of adaptors and nothing worked. The only thing I could get to work was my Iwata and now it's airvalve is DOA for some reason, 🫣 and more than that I wanted a hose and the battery just wasn't lasting as long as I wanted or I'd forget to charge it.. So long story short I upgraded to this for $65.00 off Amazon. Plug in to wall power? Check. NORMAL sized air hose connection? Check!!! Free half way decent airbrush with 3 needles AND a moisture trap? Check!  Holder for airbrush on side of mini compressor? Check. GSI Creos. 03 working like a champ. Noise level? Maybe a couple of db louder than the little silver one but still very quiet. I'm happy now. 😁

20230827_093224.jpg

Edited by derex3592

Got my quick project done that I used to test out the Kaizo Waterfall Spray booth which I give a 80% passing grade. Put it through the ringer spraying enamel, laquer, acrylic laquers, acrylic clear, and 2k polyurethane clear. Build was fun and opposite of the matte finish I tend to do on everything. Now to get everything put away and cleaned up in time for next week's holiday festivities!

Wing Gundam EW, a kitbash of the HiRM, MG Ver.Ka and MG Proto Zero with some light remodeling and cleanup to make it all work together. The Drei Zwerg was from a Club G kit and wasn't the best quality. I also feel like it is slightly oversized for 1/100 but, it kinda works with HiRM's oversized and stylized wings.

This year I've officially built 3 kits. 1 IRL Aircraft, 1 Macross, and 1 Gundam. Maybe I should keep it rolling with a figure kit next?!? Stay tuned!

wingewsample.jpg

wingew360.jpg

20230826_083746.jpg

2 hours ago, derex3592 said:

The 1/350 Texas got a primer coat this morning.... 

20230827_103106.jpg

20230827_123917.jpg

That looks like a fun kit.  

I think the only large water vessel I ever built was the Titanic. And I found the kit on my way to school one morning. Picked up the mangled box and sprues and was surprised that most of the kit was there. It was a fun build. To this day I have no idea why anyone would throw away a model kit.

8 hours ago, derex3592 said:

Ok, confession time.... I'm sure you've heard the old saying "don't marry the girl until you lived with her for a while"....LOL.. Well... same rule applies with small portable air compressors. The little silver rechargeable one just wasn't cutting the mustard. It was great at first BUT the EXTREMELY odd sized attachment was a royal PITA honestly. I ordered adaptors on top of adaptors and nothing worked. The only thing I could get to work was my Iwata and now it's airvalve is DOA for some reason, 🫣 and more than that I wanted a hose and the battery just wasn't lasting as long as I wanted or I'd forget to charge it.. So long story short I upgraded to this for $65.00 off Amazon. Plug in to wall power? Check. NORMAL sized air hose connection? Check!!! Free half way decent airbrush with 3 needles AND a moisture trap? Check!  Holder for airbrush on side of mini compressor? Check. GSI Creos. 03 working like a champ. Noise level? Maybe a couple of db louder than the little silver one but still very quiet. I'm happy now. 😁

20230827_093224.jpg

Too bad about the little guy. I haven’t had the chance to use it yet. 
let us know how the new one works out 

@nightmareB4macross - it is a fun kit so far...however....there's looooooots of fiddly very small PE to deal with on this one, and I'm not the best roller, bender of microscopic PE, we'll see how it all goes.

@Big s - Ohh man, I hope you didn't buy the silver one on my recommendation....I'm gonna feel really bad if that's the case! :( 

13 hours ago, derex3592 said:

@nightmareB4macross - it is a fun kit so far...however....there's looooooots of fiddly very small PE to deal with on this one, and I'm not the best roller, bender of microscopic PE, we'll see how it all goes.

@Big s - Ohh man, I hope you didn't buy the silver one on my recommendation....I'm gonna feel really bad if that's the case! :( 

Nah, it was on Barbatos Rex’s recommendation.

Frustration & aggravation is something I normally do not associate with model kits, then again after years of modern Bandai, Hasegawa, WAVE, Revell & Moebius BSG kits I've clearly been spoiled rotten before encountering this Ride Armor kit. 

While I appreciate Aoshima reissuing these, this kit was designed in the early 1980's & this Ride-Armor Desperately needs to be fully re-engineered & designed in how the parts lock or tab together not to mention transforming. (Bandai, WAVE, Hasegawa feel free to take a swing at it!) 

So with all that in mind I'm going to strictly keep this VR-052 in "Armo-Bike" and then build the other strictly in "Ride-Armor" mode, the idea of transforming this makes my blood pressure rise. 

Now minus my mini rant here, I do applaud this kit for offering the Saddle bags that actually open & close, the helmet & gun are nicely detailed, quality plastic and those rubber tires plus clear parts... nicely done. 

Maybe after this one is completed the next kit won't be so aggravating. 

IMG_0009.JPG

IMG_0002 - Copy.JPG

IMG_0012.JPG

On 8/27/2023 at 3:11 PM, Rock said:

Got my quick project done that I used to test out the Kaizo Waterfall Spray booth which I give a 80% passing grade. Put it through the ringer spraying enamel, laquer, acrylic laquers, acrylic clear, and 2k polyurethane clear. Build was fun and opposite of the matte finish I tend to do on everything. Now to get everything put away and cleaned up in time for next week's holiday festivities!

Wing Gundam EW, a kitbash of the HiRM, MG Ver.Ka and MG Proto Zero with some light remodeling and cleanup to make it all work together. The Drei Zwerg was from a Club G kit and wasn't the best quality. I also feel like it is slightly oversized for 1/100 but, it kinda works with HiRM's oversized and stylized wings.

This year I've officially built 3 kits. 1 IRL Aircraft, 1 Macross, and 1 Gundam. Maybe I should keep it rolling with a figure kit next?!? Stay tuned!

wingewsample.jpg

wingew360.jpg

20230826_083746.jpg

Admittedly not a Gundam fan, but that is some really nice bashing. Well worth the time and effort.

1 hour ago, jenius said:

I never realized how heavily CM's leaned on these old kits. 

In CM's defense, at the very least the wheels appear secured on the Swing-bar/shocks section with their toys, this Kit isn't even relying on Gravity for the forward section. I kept thinking there was a part missing that would hold it properly but nope, that's how they designed it. 

IMG_0002 - Copy.JPG

11 hours ago, 505thAirborne said:

Frustration & aggravation is something I normally do not associate with model kits, then again after years of modern Bandai, Hasegawa, WAVE, Revell & Moebius BSG kits I've clearly been spoiled rotten before encountering this Ride Armor kit. 

While I appreciate Aoshima reissuing these, this kit was designed in the early 1980's & this Ride-Armor Desperately needs to be fully re-engineered & designed in how the parts lock or tab together not to mention transforming. (Bandai, WAVE, Hasegawa feel free to take a swing at it!) 

So with all that in mind I'm going to strictly keep this VR-052 in "Armo-Bike" and then build the other strictly in "Ride-Armor" mode, the idea of transforming this makes my blood pressure rise. 

Now minus my mini rant here, I do applaud this kit for offering the Saddle bags that actually open & close, the helmet & gun are nicely detailed, quality plastic and those rubber tires plus clear parts... nicely done. 

Maybe after this one is completed the next kit won't be so aggravating. 

IMG_0009.JPG

IMG_0002 - Copy.JPG

IMG_0012.JPG

I usually see this kit built as rider on the bike and then the non transforming armored up kit built next to it. Transforming kits have come a long way, but I still find them frustrating and prefer transforming toys over transforming kits. 

On 8/28/2023 at 3:03 AM, electric indigo said:

@Rock is that the Wing you've been working at for 10+ years? Looks like your effort paind off, and it must feel great to put this on the shelf finally.

Pretty much? I may have 2 or 3 more Wings 1/2 finished somewhere. Lol.

I think your thinking of my 1/72 B-Club resculpt which was also finished and still need a base (and display case big enough) to show it off. Happy to kit bash! I got 4 model kits out of the back log basememt pile in one quick swoop! Unless I decided to remodel the old 1/60 MISA DX figure I can say I am 100% Wing'd-out! I'm not even looking to see what new resin kits exist this year.

As far as the Kaizo booth. Cleanup sucked, but was swift. I imagine less work had I not left the booth full of dirty water for the better part of the month! Need to figure out a better backing for the waterfall. It gets hung up and stops flowing o. The tinies particles. Does no good without a stream to take away the paint!

20230826_093402.jpg

20230826_093409.jpg

20230826_092232.jpg

So in love with your painting and finishing skills. Always so clean and perfect.

I've put the scratch/bash SBY carrier away for a bit. That's what comes from making it up as I go - I tend to take long breaks while I mull over where to go with it.

In the mean while I had a go at finishing up this 1:100 Wave VF-1J battroid. As usual I think I went a little too far with the weathering, particularly the 'chipping', but it's  too late now. :unknw:

Just a few minor touch-ups and off the bench it goes.

20230830_131456.jpg.0562a40b306e2f023ed64e0626c72a43.jpg

I'm filling in some gaps & lightly sanding those rough edges down, thankfully those rubber tires come off & on super easy, the one thing of ease on this kit. 

Does anyone here have a recommendation of what color to use for the Green? Is there a Tamiya or Mr. Hobby color that would come close in Spray can form? 

I also have some spare 1/12 motorcycle parts I can use for the handle bars/throttle & clutch. 

IMG_0020.JPG

IMG_0024.JPG

1 hour ago, 505thAirborne said:

. . .Does anyone here have a recommendation of what color to use for the Green? Is there a Tamiya or Mr. Hobby color that would come close in Spray can form?

The closest Tamiya Spay can I can think of would have to be AS-29 Gray Green.

It's the colour recommendation in the instructions for Tamiya's 1:32 Type 21 Mitsubishi Zero kits, so if you want to see what it looks like sprayed on just do an image search for those and you'll get a good idea.

It may be a little light, but with weathering that should work out fine I'd think.

(Just realized Stig's ride armour is numbered 21 and is really close to the colour the type 21 Zero . . . Hmmmm🤔 Anyone else think that is more than a coincidence?)

Edited by Chas

6 hours ago, Chas said:

So in love with your painting and finishing skills. Always so clean and perfect.

I've put the scratch/bash SBY carrier away for a bit. That's what comes from making it up as I go - I tend to take long breaks while I mull over where to go with it.

In the mean while I had a go at finishing up this 1:100 Wave VF-1J battroid. As usual I think I went a little too far with the weathering, particularly the 'chipping', but it's  too late now. :unknw:

Just a few minor touch-ups and off the bench it goes.

20230830_131456.jpg.0562a40b306e2f023ed64e0626c72a43.jpg

Honestly, for all the crap Hikaru put that thing through, it might be light on the weathering. 
It does look heavy, but this guy crashed a few times, got into hand to hand combat, had armor blown off, 80’s rolling in fire fights and practically nuked just to name some of the things that poor 1J had to go through 

Digital workbench ... in KSP2 ...

Kid wanted to see a YF-19 fly.

20230831030534_1.jpg.55c19e563e829c2389bc63003b84218a.jpg

20230831030528_1.jpg.783eaf1b38e1e37269efdb72c08df98c.jpg

edit: quick Update from the real world workbench. My kid is obsessed with my Master Grade 1/100 RX-78-2 and he always wants to play with it. So I got him a HG 1/144 RX-78-2 for around ~10€ off ebay.

IMG_2196.jpeg.38f5e5c55feffbc805223eaf149a686a.jpeg

IMG_2188.jpeg.c66884851213f65064782336b38806b2.jpeg

IMG_2191.jpeg.897c2a3b102155bffd10267ca28c85e9.jpeg

IMG_2192.jpeg.e5982ba9ef1dc13b8b4efecd5c9d7a5f.jpegIMG_2195.jpeg.eb8a62d1a6836b3535521ac515d7d9f8.jpeg

the build took roughly one hour. Articulation of the joints is really impressive for this scale. Nothing to compare to MG or PG, but still impressive. I’d recommend it.

Edited by Urashiman

On 8/28/2023 at 9:48 PM, 505thAirborne said:

In CM's defense, at the very least the wheels appear secured on the Swing-bar/shocks section with their toys, this Kit isn't even relying on Gravity for the forward section. I kept thinking there was a part missing that would hold it properly but nope, that's how they designed it. 

IMG_0002 - Copy.JPG

Now you know why I had to develop such extensive scratchbuilding skills: because the kits from my youth were horrible junk!! :lol:

As for your paint call question, your best bet is to mix. This is what I came up with for my 1/6 MOSPEADA soldier.

37.jpg