Rise of the Planet of the Apes - Opens August 5.

Clicked the link thinking "This Again?!" -- but it looks pretty awesome. Explains how it all started...

My thoughts exactly. It looks very promising. (love the shot of the apes swinging through the trees.)

It *really* surprised me though because I thought it was still in development hell and years away, not about to be released in 4 months.

The Weta effects look great too. I wonder which ape Andy Serkis will play?

I don't know. Visually, it looks great, but I'm so sick and tired of the science is evil drivel that Hollywood is stuck on. Also, unless those apes literally breed like rabits, there's no way they're taking over the world.

Yes, we all know where true evil resides......

demotivational_posters_evil_chair_VERY_Demotivational_Pics-s492x454-79971-580.jpg

I don't know. Visually, it looks great, but I'm so sick and tired of the science is evil drivel that Hollywood is stuck on. Also, unless those apes literally breed like rabits, there's no way they're taking over the world.

All the more as serious scientists would simply sterilize such subjects, precisely to avoid getting any troubles in case the experiment goes wrong.

The original prequel was more interesting IMO, and more believable...

Ditto, one of the things I liked from "28 Days Later" is the fact that the do-gooder animal rights people caused the release of the epidemic.

Back to Apes - the Ape Jumping at the helicopter reminds me of another movie about a Megashark...

All the more as serious scientists would simply sterilize such subjects, precisely to avoid getting any troubles in case the experiment goes wrong.

It's been years since I read the book, but I seem to recall that the original premise was that uplifted apes had become a widespread slave labor force before they took over.

That was the synopsis of one of the prequel movies, yes, but the original book by Pierre Boule doesn't say anything on this point because the story of the novel actually happens onto another planet.

When I first saw the thread title I thought it would be the second part of the Tim Burton remake. IMO that film finished right when it got interesting.

Looks like it could be good especially if it follows the book more closely.

I have never read the original novel but plan to do so as everyone I know who has says I should.

Yeah, it s a neat play on the fear of gmos, but I cant see how a handful of escaped super monkeys would take over the world. Looks like Resident Monkey, to me.

Anyone else think the title is kind of weird?? They should have just named it Rise of the Apes.

Going by what I've heard, "Rise of the Apes" was the original title but it was changed to "Rise of the Planet of the Apes" fairly recently. (The new, longer title was announced on April 7.)

I think its all simply to do with brand recognition.

That was the synopsis of one of the prequel movies, yes, but the original book by Pierre Boule doesn't say anything on this point because the story of the novel actually happens onto another planet.

Now I'm going to drive myself crazy trying to figure out where I picked up that bit of information since I've never seen those films and I've known it since pre-internet time.

Now I'm going to drive myself crazy trying to figure out where I picked up that bit of information since I've never seen those films and I've known it since pre-internet time.

Maybe it's in a novelization of the movie... :)

• 3 months later...

This was surprisingly good. Just the right amount of new & nods to the old. Definately way better than Burton's Apes. I also liked how they threw in a bit of

12 Monkeys

for good measure. The subtle

inclusion of backgorund events, such as the lost astronauts

left them enough wiggle room to continue this series, or leave it as a potential beginning for the original. Ceasar for the win.

I really enjoyed this, I saw it last night. It was very restrained when it needed to the be and the final minute or so what a real 'wow' for me.

Looks like it's doing well at the box-office too, so we'll probably see a follow up in a couple of years. I was not a fan at all of the original movies, so this was a pleasant surprise.

The trailer that gets me is the one that calls Ceaser "Hero." To WHO? Ha! Hollywood and its bass-ackwards heart on their sleeve sentimentalities...

What, so we're supposed to be impressed with 90 minutes of some CGI ape mean-muggin? making angy faces? **oooooooohhh** My ass... <_<

It's a damn good thing I'm not a film critic: "You want to know what I think? You really want to know what I think of this film?!"

**stands, craps in hand, throws it at movie screen**

"ooh! ah! oo oo aah ah! graaahhhh!"

The trailer that gets me is the one that calls Ceaser "Hero." To WHO? Ha! Hollywood and its bass-ackwards heart on their sleeve sentimentalities...

What, so we're supposed to be impressed with 90 minutes of some CGI ape mean-muggin? making angy faces? **oooooooohhh** My ass... <_<

It's a damn good thing I'm not a film critic: "You want to know what I think? You really want to know what I think of this film?!"

**stands, craps in hand, throws it at movie screen**

"ooh! ah! oo oo aah ah! graaahhhh!"

I agree completely.

"...not the fastest...not the strongest..."

I've heard before that apes are something on the order of 6-7 times stronger than humans. I've often wondered what the reason for this would be? Is it that they have more muscle fibers in a given group [bicep, tricep, etc.]? Are their muscle tissues "more dense" or something? Just how is it that they possess so much more physical strength?

One need only remember Connecticut woman Carla Nash, who had her face literally torn apart by a chimp, to realize such estimates of strength are certainly not far off the mark.

ed: to the esteemed Mr. Serkis - you sir, are NO Roddy McDowall...

"Where there is fire, there is smoke. And in that smoke, from this day forward, my people will crouch, and conspire, and plot, and plan for the inevitable day of Man's downfall. The day when he finally and self-destructively turns his weapons against his own kind. The day of the writing in the sky, when your cities lie buried under radioactive rubble! When the sea is a dead sea, and the land is a wasteland out of which I will lead my people from their captivity! And we will build our own cities, in which there will be no place for humans except to serve our ends! And we shall found our own armies, our own religion, our own dynasty! And that day is upon you NOW!"

Edited by reddsun1

I've heard before that apes are something on the order of 6-7 times stronger than humans. I've often wondered what the reason for this would be?

This is not about Apes, but chimps - and recent studies find them to be roughly twice as strong as humans. Interesting info about more recent studies and a couple DNA differences are pointed out as well. Mostly it boils down to differences in muscle layout.

http://www.slate.com/id/2212232/

This is not about Apes, but chimps - and recent studies find them to be roughly twice as strong as humans. Interesting info about more recent studies and a couple DNA differences are pointed out as well. Mostly it boils down to differences in muscle layout.

http://www.slate.com/id/2212232/

Hmm, interesting. Longer muscle fibers, eh? This is what I should like medical science to crack the secret to. That, and syhthesizing or producing [preferably stimulating natural production] of this ACTN3....I should want to "stretch" my muscle fibers--so that I can rip the faces from my adversaries!

--Crush your enemies [faces], see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of their women! **mwa ha ha ha ha ha ha hah!!**

Hmm, interesting. Longer muscle fibers, eh? This is what I should like medical science to crack the secret to. That, and syhthesizing or producing [preferably stimulating natural production] of this ACTN3....I should want to "stretch" my muscle fibers--so that I can rip the faces from my adversaries!

--Crush your enemies [faces], see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of their women! **mwa ha ha ha ha ha ha hah!!**

Reddsun1's sanity has left the building.......

I liked it!!

I,m just sooo thankfull that CGI,FX,things blowing up, wasn,t shoved down my throat,or up my ass.

I liked the story building for 90mins before it,s climax,and hopeful sequal.

Not enough violence at the end(considering that when ape,s&chimps fight amongst themselves they bite each others fingers off,and rip genitals off) I was wondering how they were gonna handle that in an M rating once they confront humans,but I liked how ceaser handled that,but would have prefered a bit of ape on human body destruction..but maybe later.

All in all I,m glad it wasn,t a mind dumbing FX, in your face, headache inducing BS superhero/transformers approach

Edited by troyness

I liked it!!

I,m just sooo thankfull that CGI,FX,things blowing up, wasn,t shoved down my throat,or up my ass.

I liked the story building for 90mins before it,s climax,and hopeful sequal.

Not enough violence at the end(considering that when ape,s&chimps fight amongst themselves they bite each others fingers off,and rip genitals off) I was wondering how they were gonna handle that in an M rating once they confront humans,but I liked how ceaser handled that,but would have prefered a bit of ape on human body destruction..but maybe later.

All in all I,m glad it wasn,t a mind dumbing FX, in your face, headache inducing BS superhero/transformers approach

I think that is because Caesar decided to take the higher ground in his rebellion. There's still that evil looking Ape still and you know he's going to de-throne Caesar and turn humans in to their slaves under threat biting off their genitals.