10 Iconic Anime Mecha

EXO

Let me guess, the paintjob on that VF-1A a custom job, or is it from DYRL?

"Let me guess"? WHY?? This is the information age, for God's sake! I think we're way beyond "Google is your friend" at this stage. Have you ever even been on the main MW site?

OK, you know what, why not go ahead and call it Jetfire. In fact, it's just "PlaneBot". This entire site should just reopen as planebot.com tomorrow, and you can be the admin.

if that article is correct, kawamori co-designed optimus prime?

I remember reading an interview in which he said he "fixed" the design somehow, as they were having problems with the transformation. Then he got to work with a few of the other Diaclone toys, but doesn't remember specifically which ones, other than the Robot Base X thing. My memory is vague, but the text can be found in one of the Japanese trasnformer books, like Transformers Generations or something. I think it's the one that is in landscape format.

Let me guess, the paintjob on that VF-1A a custom job, or is it from DYRL?

TV schemes suck, get over it.

So much emotion in this thread already, I love it.

I disagree with the Evangelion being on the list.

Wasn't the eva a bug that was remote controlled or something? I know some of you guys are going to come out of your chairs with that comment, but I never really could figure out what was going on in that show.

Why did you use inverted commas there? And are you saying they are not mechanical?

I'm saying by definition, the're robots, not mecha. For exapmle, Kikaider is a machine (Kika), but not mecha (otherwise he'd be mechaider). Now if the list had been "Anime's top 10 robots" that'd be a whole different deal.

Edited by Keith

I'm saying by definition, the're robots, not mecha. For exapmle, Kikaider is a machine (Kika), but not mecha (otherwise he'd be mechaider). Now if the list had been "Anime's top 10 robots" that'd be a whole different deal.

you're just arguing semantics.

Mecha can and is used as an all encompassing term to describe piloted vehicles. Every square is a rectangle but not every rectangle is a square.

anyways, yeah, transformers aren't mecha... and eva's are iffy... since they're big cloned angel/human thingies with armor.

Edited by eugimon

if that article is correct, kawamori co-designed optimus prime?

The story is a bit vague, but the question was asked again at this year's BotCon where the special guest was Hideaki Yoke.

From OTCA.com.au round-up:

'He also talked about the Origin of the Optimus Prime/Convoy toy. It was intended as the leader of the Diaclone series, so had to be something special, but the first designer appointed to the task, didn't finish it due to his obsession with Sports Cars. A team was then put together to finish the design, which means the classic, iconic toy can't be creditted to just one person.'

He also commented about it at the 2005 BotCon.

From transformers.wikia.com:

'At BotCon 2005, Hideaki Yoke revealed that Optimus Prime (or more accurately, Diaclone Battle Convoy) was not designed by a single person, but rather a team of Takara designers as the one who was originally assigned the job had fallen behind. It is said that a young Shoji Kawamori was also a member of this team at some point, who would design THS-02 Convoy over 20 years later. The patent for the toy, however, lists Hiroyuki Obara as the designer.'

Everyone's definitions of "mecha" here seem rather, um...personalized.

Mecha are machines, plain and simple. Macross is mecha, Star Wars is mecha, Transformers are mecha. Eva, IMHO, scrapes by on the fact that they don't reveal that the Evas are completely organic until near the end of the series.

http://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/メカ

Also cf. the Studio Nue Mecha Design Entertainment Bible, which contain space ships, drivable robots, androids, bases...pretty much anything mechanical.

It's horribly written, their definition of mecha is random and the criteria is rather arbitrary but I suppose it's not the worst list as far as "favorite lists" go. At least they remembered to include the venerable VF-1 Valkyrie, thus denying us our opportunity to scream bloody murder ;)

The Gundam and the Evangelion definitely deserve their iconic status, though why the Zaku somehow deserves it's own rank on a list that grouped all the Transformers in one go is rather silly. To me, one clown-colored robot is pretty much the same as the next, so I can't really condemn/condone any of the super robot choices. I will say it's good to see Gunbuster on the list, which always deserves some mention.

From my own personal bias, I feel the list definitely needs more Five Star Stories and Patlabor :)

Edited by Mr March

The problem with this list is that the writer used the term "mecha" and then just listed robots. Granted, when most westerner anime fans use the term "mecha", they're mainly referring to just robots - and mainly piloted combat fighting robots. But since the writer included sentient Transformers, you have to wonder if androids and cyborgs should be included as well (Doraemon, Cutey Honey, Astro Boy, etc.).

And if one is taking the Japanese use of the term "mecha", it usually doesn't only mean robots (so cars, ships, airplanes, and other vehicles/machinery also apply). Among which one can include such things like the Mach 5 from Speed Racer, the Space Battleship Yamato ship, the wave motion gun, etc)

With regards to the Evangelion, yeah it's technically not a robot. But, the show is considered/placed in the genre of "robot anime" in Japan.

Edited by Vifam7

The problem with this list is that the writer used the term "mecha" and then just listed robots. Granted, when most westerner anime fans use the term "mecha", they're mainly referring to just robots - and mainly piloted combat fighting robots. But since the writer included sentient Transformers, you have to wonder if androids and cyborgs should be included as well (Doraemon, Cutey Honey, Astro Boy, etc.).

And if one is taking the Japanese use of the term "mecha", it usually doesn't only mean robots (so cars, ships, airplanes, and other vehicles/machinery also apply). Among which one can include such things like the Mach 5 from Speed Racer, the Space Battleship Yamato ship, the wave motion gun, etc)

With regards to the Evangelion, yeah it's technically not a robot. But, the show is considered/placed in the genre of "robot anime" in Japan.

I totally agree, but I can see why Doraemon's not there...not because he's not "mecha" (he pretty much is), but because the article is done from a mostly western viewpoint...else why would Golion be there?

I'm just thankful it's not SO westernized that Gundam Wing was represented instead of the original Gundam... :D

Let me add my 2 cent:

of those 10, how many were designed by or helped the design in some way by the holy froatin' Kawamori-San?

It kinda makes you think

And here are some un-respected who don't get to make the list:

1) Ingram, Patlabor. Designed to have an intimidating effect on the local chav, the Ingram is the Rozzer robot of choice.

2) Scopedog, Armoured Trooper VOTOMS: the ultimate disposable powered armour, animes hardest man Chirico Cuvie goes through about a dozen of these every episode. Before the ad break.

3) Mazinger Z, Mazinger Z: ROCKET PUNCH! That is all.

4) GM series, Mobile SUIT Gundam: the ultimate cannon fodder mecha, except for that one time in 8th MS Team.

And finally:

5) Ideon, Space Runaway Ideon. Its the combining mecha fire truck that can slice planets in two. And piloted by animes biggest ginger afro.

Edited by F-ZeroOne