Valk Buyer's Remorse

Roy Focker

Love my YF-19's, guess I'm a YF-19 nut. Got the anniversary edition, 2 x YF-19 (one with fold booster), and the two prototypes. :wacko:

If I have any remorse, it's for my wallet when I splurged over the holidays and got the Roy, Hikaru, Max and Kakizaki v2 1/60 valks + super/strike packs. What the hell was I thinking.... <_<

Edited by Phalanix

my regret is buying the 1/60 VF-25F Super Alto Movie Edition... when I saw the Tornado messiah released, I knew I should've waited! Alto's valk is white, not white-blue-tinge!! Crap...I got the Tornado Messiah anyways tongue.gif

I'm not sure if I regret getting my DX Alto and Michael or not.. Bandai just got really sloppy with them. And actually, I'm half expecting that blue tinted Alto to turn into a collectors item due to the lukewarm reception it got. I don't know how sales went in Japan, but I don't think that one's ever been sold out when I looked.

YF-21 from Yamato, 1/60 scale.

Transforming it back to back after the SV-51 I have just cemented it. Too much time is spent on getting the damn legs angled and pushed in just right on that ridiculous hip joint, aligning the arms to the backplate [battroid > fighter here] only to have the belly plates not lock flush because you missed a mm somewhere and have to start over. Just gave up and hurled the entire thing back to the box.

Not so much remorse as an unintended buy.

I used to shop for Macross figs at my local brick and mortar hobby shop, and being a latecomer to Macross collecting, Yamato's 1/60 YF-21 was long since sold out by the time I decided to buy one. I settled for the Gamlin VF-22S Sturmvogel II, instead. A few months pass, and I saw the -21 on clearance sale at HLJ. Took my first leap into the digital age and bought it online.

Ironically, I've grown to like my Gamlin VF-22S even more than the -21.

1/60 Yamato VF-1A Hikaru. I think I spent $85 on this when it came out. One of the wings is yellowed and also one of the landing gear openings. Yamato uses cheap plastic. I did acquire another one from ebay for $25 I think it had free shipping brand new so I'm good on that.

Thus ended my Yamato collecting.

edit: also had remorse over buying Yamato 1/60 VF-1J Fokker non strike edition. I sold it to my friend and haven't seen it since. I'm guessing he has it tucked away in his bedroom somewhere. I wanted to strike version but never purchased it which is actually lucky too because Yamato literally flooded the market with reissues of that one. Yamato collector value is - (negative) imho.

NO remorse at all over Bandai 1/55 reissues. They are better than Yamato and even hold nostalgia value which all Yamato toys plainly lack.

Edited by amptor

Not so much remorse as an unintended buy.

I used to shop for Macross figs at my local brick and mortar hobby shop, and being a latecomer to Macross collecting, Yamato's 1/60 YF-21 was long since sold out by the time I decided to buy one. I settled for the Gamlin VF-22S Sturmvogel II, instead. A few months pass, and I saw the -21 on clearance sale at HLJ. Took my first leap into the digital age and bought it online.

Ironically, I've grown to like my Gamlin VF-22S even more than the -21.

i only hv the YF-21, but i still think gamlin's vf-22s is way cooler with the black scheme and headsculpt!

I'm not sure if I regret getting my DX Alto and Michael or not.. Bandai just got really sloppy with them. And actually, I'm half expecting that blue tinted Alto to turn into a collectors item due to the lukewarm reception it got. I don't know how sales went in Japan, but I don't think that one's ever been sold out when I looked.

unless it appeared in the movie, it's hard to see it being a sought after item.. i mean, it just seemed to me that bandai originally intended to release the VF-25F super (white) but then thought that it might eat into the sales of the tornado messiah, so they gave it a blue tint to differentiate these two. i hope i'm wrong but everytime i look at the two sitting side by side, i just get the feeling the money spent on blue alto, should've been elsewhere :(

unless it appeared in the movie, it's hard to see it being a sought after item.. i mean, it just seemed to me that bandai originally intended to release the VF-25F super (white) but then thought that it might eat into the sales of the tornado messiah, so they gave it a blue tint to differentiate these two. i hope i'm wrong but everytime i look at the two sitting side by side, i just get the feeling the money spent on blue alto, should've been elsewhere :(

I personally like the blue tint rather than the super bright white. The original scheme is much whiter than the Yamato TV Valks.

i only hv the YF-21, but i still think gamlin's vf-22s is way cooler with the black scheme and headsculpt!

Yeah, the dark gray/cyan color scheme really does justice to the VF-22S. My favorite part of the craft is the "frame-style" canopy, which reminds me of a Soviet era Mil Mi-24, another of my favorite aircraft.

Yeah, the dark gray/cyan color scheme really does justice to the VF-22S. My favorite part of the craft is the "frame-style" canopy, which reminds me of a Soviet era Mil Mi-24, another of my favorite aircraft.

I'd buy another in an instant the moment Yamato releases one in low-vis with a bubble canopy ala Raptor.

Bandai DX, VF-25 Alto, I bought this...and then the super parts...biggest mistake(s) I have ever made.

It's the only MacrossF VF I own, but it has completely turned me off on the whole Bandai bandwagon. While I have seen the capabilities of what was done with the VF-27 it's not enough to warrant future VF purchases from Bandai.

<_<

Nostalgia is for the weak. Embrace the future, buy a toy that isn't an ugly brick. :p

speak for yourself. I have always liked the looks of the 1/55ths ever since I started seeing them in hobby stores back in the 1980s.

Yamatos have little value to me. I'd actually consider selling them and holding on to the 1/55ths. Plus the yamatos are so mass produced that they are most definitely not worth the money that we pay for them. Best value I got was on that spare 1/60th Hikaru I bought. Yamatos are flimsy.

speak for yourself. I have always liked the looks of the 1/55ths ever since I started seeing them in hobby stores back in the 1980s.

Yamatos have little value to me. I'd actually consider selling them and holding on to the 1/55ths. Plus the yamatos are so mass produced that they are most definitely not worth the money that we pay for them. Best value I got was on that spare 1/60th Hikaru I bought. Yamatos are flimsy.

The best VF-1 Valk toys I ever played with are the 1/55 and Yamato V2 1/60. I enjoy both and the 1/55 is still great to me, even today. It's weird though, a lot of my fellow Transformers fans love G1 but for me, I don't really collect the vintage G1 toys but love me some vintage Macross toys and the new stuff too.

IMHO 1/55 is the best of vintage, V2 1/60 VF-1 is the best of now(shoulder issues aside).

I had buyers remorse with my DX VF-25S. Hell if it was SIMPLER like the 1/55, as in less leg articulation but ratcheted joints all over the damn place, the irony is that I would actually like it more. What does the 1/55 have over the DX VF-25? Shoulders and upper leg joints that are not prone to looseness due to ratchets, hands with no ball wrist which results with no limping; hell it even has longer landing gear and more resistance to paint scratch!

See the 1/55 still trumps modern valk toys in certain categories.

Chances I think are slim, but if Bandai were to make a "retro" VF-25 made like the 1/55 VF-1, I would be happy.

Edited by Shin Densetsu Kai 7.0

So is it younger generations that have this weird crusade against nostalgia? I see it more on other boards, like TFW2005, but there seems to be a lot of people who try to argue that nostalgia is a bad thing and commonly throw insults at people who have nostalgic tendencies. It's a silly concept considering none of these toy forums and most modern toys would even exist if it weren't for nostalgia. It's even sillier considering that one can have nostalgia, enjoy the present and look toward the future.

That said, while I love a lot of modern valk toys, the old 1/55 and Joke Machines are still my favorite VF-1 toys.

On the flip side, my favorite VF-11 toy is the 1/60 Yamato. No nostalgia at all for the 1/72 version, which could almost be considered "vintage" these days. :D

Keeping on topic, the most valk remorse I've felt is with the 1/60 YF-19. The price was remorseful, the problematic ordeal I had obtaining it from a fellow collector was remorseful and the toy itself was the most remorseful of all.

Edited by eriku

So is it younger generations that have this weird crusade against nostalgia? I see it more on other boards, like TFW2005, but there seems to be a lot of people who try to argue that nostalgia is a bad thing and commonly throw insults at people who have nostalgic tendencies. It's a silly concept considering none of these toy forums and most modern toys would even exist if it weren't for nostalgia. It's even sillier considering that one can have nostalgia, enjoy the present and look toward the future.

That said, while I love a lot of modern valk toys, the old 1/55 and Joke Machines are still my favorite VF-1 toys.

On the flip side, my favorite VF-11 toy is the 1/60 Yamato. No nostalgia at all for the 1/72 version, which could almost be considered "vintage" these days. :D

Keeping on topic, the most valk remorse I've felt is with the 1/60 YF-19. The price was remorseful, the problematic ordeal I had obtaining it from a fellow collector was remorseful and the toy itself was the most remorseful of all.

Well for me, I appreciate nostalgia but articulation is a big thing for me, like the 1/55 has a lot, but G1 Optimus Prime and Megatron don't, for example.

I think it's just kind of annoying when people go on and on about how awesome the old 1/55's are and how they're so much better than new toys and how it would be great if they made new toys more like the old ones. When really, the old 1/55's blocky, have awkward proportions and are lacking in detail or any kind of useful articulation.

I think it's just kind of annoying when people go on and on about how awesome the old 1/55's are and how they're so much better than new toys and how it would be great if they made new toys more like the old ones. When really, the old 1/55's blocky, have awkward proportions and are lacking in detail or any kind of useful articulation.

That's just their opinion based on personal taste though, I don't know if it should be taken as an argument. You're argument seems to be that the 1/55 cannot be better than newer toys because it is blocky, has akward proportions, lacks detail and lacks articulation. But obviously those things don't have the same relevance to everyone. We've all got different tastes. So while the 1/55 can't be better than newer stuff to you, it can be better to others...which should go without saying, really. And yes, it does get annoying when people think that their opinion is correct and should be shared by everyone. ;)

Regrets

Yamato All new 1/60 Macross Plus. My 1/72 have stood the test of time and are great and the monster is another regret

No Regrets for the 1/48, the ingram, the motorcycle i forgot its name but related to macross and the Votoms and v1 1/60 although it has some discoloration

Just wondering, no regrets on buying the transforming Revoltechs?

Good question. For that one... I put it away on Day 2 and forgot about it altogether.

I don't know where is it now...

I mourn for raw materials used in making it and my hard-earned money.

The Revoltechs are at least very inexpensive. $20-$30 each is a drop in the bucket compared to a Yamato purchase.

I regret paying $120 for my 1/72 YF-19, but I sold it a year later for $100. The 1/72 YF-21 however, I held on to until the plastic actually degraded to the point where parts were falling off of it while it was on the shelf. I guess 6 years is the life expectancy of a Yamato. Had a VF-11b for about 3 months before the legs just fell right off.

Bought 2 1/60 VF-1s, a Toys R Us Cannon fodder for $30 and a Skull Leader for $60, and I enjoy them both, no regrets. Beside the head being a bit small, I have no issues with them.

After hurricane Katrina, I bought a 1/48 Skull Leader w/ Fast packs. Love it. Hands are a bit floppy, but its HUGE.

Also bought a VB-6 Monster and 1/60 VF-0. The Monster is alright, I'm mainly in love with the design. The VF-0 has the usual shoulder problem, but looks amazing in fighter mode.

Overall, I'm pretty happy with my Macross mecha purchases (except the VF-11). It may just be because I don't buy very many of them.

Edited by one_klump

VF-1JYAMATO1-60John4.jpg

no remorse here, more like a personal dream of mine coming true.

i've had both the 1/60 v.1 and the 1/48 of the VF-1.

i've retired them both after getting a 1/60 v.2 VF-1J Hikaru T.V.

it is EXACTLY what i have been dreaming of in a Valk replica

since i first got onto MACROSS fifteen years ago.

it all started for me with the 1/100 ARII GERWALK mode VF-1J Hikaru T.V.

my very first Valk. i'd like to say that this 1/60 v.2 will be my last,

but i just can't seem to be satisfied without a Fokker VF-1S.

and then there are the MACROSS PLUS Valks, as well.

always wanted a perfect transformation YF-19...

damn. got a LOT of catching up to do...

Edited by Shaorin

No remorse here. Sold my 1/60 v1 and 1/48 for the v2.

Only a bit of frustration in the sub-par quality of my Vf-1 V2 Max and Miriya.

I don't get it. What is sub-par about the Max and Miriyas?

(I have these babies in boxes and have yet to open them)

Anyone?

I don't get it. What is sub-par about the Max and Miriyas?

(I have these babies in boxes and have yet to open them)

Anyone?

That's what I want to know. Mine are just fine, maybe the paint coming off a little(collar mounted lights?) if you're rough on the transformation? They are just fine to me.

That's what I want to know. Mine are just fine, maybe the paint coming off a little(collar mounted lights?) if you're rough on the transformation? They are just fine to me.

I own both Max and Milia's -1J's too, and I can't find any inherent flaws in them either. Just have to be careful around the shoulder searchlights(?) during transformation. In fact, there's an illustrated note included in the box that tells you to be careful--apparently, the VF-1D Virgin Road also has the same "fragile searchlight paintjob" thing as well.

If I remember right, my M&Ms were a bit of an oddity for me too. Nothing horrific, but they did have a few oddball problems I haven't seen on any other v2 VF-1. Things like wheels falling off, loose leg fins, canopys coated too thickly to see through, etc. They are also the hardest ones I have to transform just due to their joints being extremely tight. Millia's tail section almost wouldn't fold properly.

I kind of got the impression that the M&Ms were cast from brand new molds when they were released. They were the only 1/60 VF-1s I got right after release too, so later ones might have been not as tricky to transform.

As for the shoulder light scratching, I found sanding down the little nubs on the inside of the chest piece helped quite a bit to prevent that.

Edited by Chronocidal