And now for another flashback. This is the 1/144 RGZ-91 Re-GZ, originally released in 1987 as a preview kit for Mobile Suit Gundam: Char's Counterattack. It has a box price of 800 yen, but I managed to score it on Amazon.jp for 300 yen. And that's a good thing, because this kit does not hold very well due to its loose joints. Furthermore, it doesn't include the Back Weapon System. So if you want an Re-GZ kit, save up and get the HGUC version instead.

oldregz01_zpsigcl5ai8.jpg

oldregz02_zpsmmobyy3d.jpg

oldregz03_zpss5vgcpq5.jpg

oldregz04_zpsd2mjwpby.jpg

oldregz05_zpsbxjygftx.jpg

Gotta rant for a second about MG Zeta Plus A1: ban905569_0.jpg

Are the leading edges of the wings, the biggest piece to ever NOT be molded separately, in color, on an MG?

They made the little side-vents on the head a separate piece, yet these much larger, more important parts aren't? (also, the molding on the wings isn't very crisp---I cannot get the panel lines done crisply, nor has masking the orange/beige separation line worked well---these are the only 2 parts I need/plan to paint, but it's been much tougher than I planned----and frankly, I shouldn't have to paint them at all, they SHOULD be molded separately---I honestly feel most HGUC's would have molded these separately in 2 colors. Sure, it's an older MG---but it's not ancient)

It's way early 2000s; such things as this aren't uncommon. Even modern MGs are fine with leaving some small details for stickers/masking and painting. Also, because it's an early 2000s MG, the mold is hardly in pristine condition anymore. Obviously the lines won't be as clean as if you'd gotten an early-release kit. Bandai could create new molds, but why bother when the demand isn't exactly there? (That being said, I've been itching to get the A1/C1 for a while now...) And to be fair, it's not like masking and painting it will be an arduous process; it's hardly a complicated edge.

Modern HGUCs might mold them separately (I doubt so), and for sure modern MGs would do so, but it's illogical to expect 2016-level engineering in 2001.

Anyway, I was snapping together a Tryon 3 that I had purchased a few weeks ago on a whim, and while fiddling with trying to recreate as much of the original ZZ as possible (about the only things missing are the knees and the majority of the backpack), I managed to jerry-rig a ZZ Gerwalk:

post-30901-0-33436100-1465178369_thumb.jpg

post-30901-0-87733300-1465178372_thumb.jpg

EDIT:

Dang it, David Hingtgen, now you've got me looking up those two on HLJ. :D And they're in stock, too. I'll see if they go on sale during this just-started summer sale first, but either way I'll be sure to bite before they go away again. (Might pick me up an 08MST Ball, too... god, that's such a great kit...)

Link to the Summer Sale that just started (again, no Gundam yet, but there are some nice aircraft kits on sale): http://hlj.com/summer-sale-2016

Edited by kajnrig

My least favorite kit out of the old CCA series was the Sazabi, but if anyone finds it dirt cheap it's worth it for the boxart and artwork in the instructions. The Jagd Dogas are my favorites and have waist armor that looks more like the line art than the hguc even though I still like the overall hguc better. Gears Doga was also good for its time.

To prepare myself for my first PG kit, I dusted off my collection of the RX-78GP01 Gundam GP01 "Zephyranthes". From left: Original 1/144 kit (1991), HGUC 1/144 kit (2000), RG 1/144 kit (2013), SD Gundam BB Senshi kit (1999). I also picked up a Mobile Suit Gundam 0083 display base from a local hobby shop.

gp01family01_zpsj313quud.jpg

gp01family02_zpsooixfxmo.jpg

gp01family03_zpssf1g8xtg.jpg

gp01family04_zpstykv9whi.jpg

gp01family05_zpscsjuv0mm.jpg

gp01family06_zps7nzmzcqo.jpg

GP01Fb Family coming soon.

My least favorite kit out of the old CCA series was the Sazabi, but if anyone finds it dirt cheap it's worth it for the boxart and artwork in the instructions. The Jagd Dogas are my favorites and have waist armor that looks more like the line art than the hguc even though I still like the overall hguc better. Gears Doga was also good for its time.

They really do need to release MG kits for the Jagd Doga. It's the last of the CCA Neo Zeon MSs to get the MG treatment.

An mg Jagd Doga would be great, but I hope the cables get a better treatment than rubbery parts with a near impossible mold line to sand like the mg Geara Doga. Also I hope it doesn't get one of those weird what if it was unicorn armor panel gimmic.

I think the Nu ver ka came out after bandai stopped making new decal sets, but maybe the decals for the old mg CCA kits mixed with other decals from the mg Unicorn may work.

Bandai really should stop treating gunpla builders as kids and give waterslides instead of just stickers with their kits, it can't cost that much to just make a waterslide copy of their existing marking patterns.

Though I'm only just now building it, I've owned it for decent number of years---it's certainly not a first-release, but also not "the latest pressing". Based on how non-existent most panel lines are, and how crisp many other areas are, the panel lines couldn't have been very sharp to begin with IMHO, unless Zeta Plus A1 is way more popular than I'm lead to believe, and there were many thousands made each time.

It's like "sharp molding on the parts themselves, but dull shallow panel lines".

And to be fair, it's not like masking and painting it will be an arduous process; it's hardly a complicated edge.

That was my point--it *should* have been "masking 101" and quick and easy. But it just "went wrong". On every edge of both surfaces of both parts... I kinda want to blame the plastic itself---I gave them one extra scrubbing in soapy water before hand, but am still having adhesion problems.

Though I'm only just now building it, I've owned it for decent number of years---it's certainly not a first-release, but also not "the latest pressing". Based on how non-existent most panel lines are, and how crisp many other areas are, the panel lines couldn't have been very sharp to begin with IMHO, unless Zeta Plus A1 is way more popular than I'm lead to believe, and there were many thousands made each time.

It's like "sharp molding on the parts themselves, but dull shallow panel lines".

That was my point--it *should* have been "masking 101" and quick and easy. But it just "went wrong". On every edge of both surfaces of both parts... I kinda want to blame the plastic itself---I gave them one extra scrubbing in soapy water before hand, but am still having adhesion problems.

Ah, I see. Well... all I have left to say is that that sucks. That certainly puts a damper on my enthusiasm for getting my own A1/C1 combo...

BTW, is there a Bandai decal set for the Nu gundam ver ka?

The kit came with waterslide markings. Or do you need an extra sheet of markings of a different style? I think the only stickers are the eye sensors and a set of decals for adding more color diversion to the legs.

The kit came with waterslide markings. Or do you need an extra sheet of markings of a different style? I think the only stickers are the eye sensors and a set of decals for adding more color diversion to the legs.

sweet. I just like using waterslide decals whenever I paint a kit and I always like to paint MG's. I had a spontaneous itch to buy the Nu gundam today and completely forgot that it comes with decals.

Though I'm only just now building it, I've owned it for decent number of years---it's certainly not a first-release, but also not "the latest pressing". Based on how non-existent most panel lines are, and how crisp many other areas are, the panel lines couldn't have been very sharp to begin with IMHO, unless Zeta Plus A1 is way more popular than I'm lead to believe, and there were many thousands made each time.It's like "sharp molding on the parts themselves, but dull shallow panel lines".That was my point--it *should* have been "masking 101" and quick and easy. But it just "went wrong". On every edge of both surfaces of both parts... I kinda want to blame the plastic itself---I gave them one extra scrubbing in soapy water before hand, but am still having adhesion problems.

Would scribing to deepen the lines help? at times i just went the lazy route and used permanent marker, which may be more work than its worth but only for simple lines...

sweet. I just like using waterslide decals whenever I paint a kit and I always like to paint MG's. I had a spontaneous itch to buy the Nu gundam today and completely forgot that it comes with decals.

Here are the waterslide decals that come with the kit (courtesy of Gaijin Gunpla) :

IMG_4292.jpg

Those are the additional stickers that come with the set:

IMG_4272.jpg

The silver stickers are the backdrop for the green Psycho Frame bits. You probably want to paint them by yourself. When I was building the kit I made the observation that I prefer the silver stickers because painting the back of the bits with silver paint would result in less light being reflected from the frame parts. I guess the best result would be achieved with some liquid chrome paint.

As said before the blue and gray stickers you see in the background are for additional color separation. If you paint the kit you probably have no need for those.

Edited by Scyla

I don't have the kit yet but I'm already planing mods and build decisions. I've got a few Idea about how to do the green frame. I also need to decide how I'm gonna fix the fin funnels, what to do with the legs, what color to paint the dark blue bits, how many whites to use, whether I should go with yellow or gold, whether I should keep the red parts red... oh this is gonna be a lot of work. :rolleyes:

:edit:

anyone have fun ideas for a color schemes?

Edited by anime52k8

Another blast from the past. I picked up this old 1/144 Gundam GP01Fb for 560 yen - that's almost half the box price, considering it has parts for both GP01 variants. This is one of the better kits in the old Gundam 0083 Gunpla line, which is actually one of the weakest Gunpla lines in the franchise's history. Unlike the GP01, the GP01Fb's parts are mostly molded in the right colors instead of just white and blue, but there's still a fair amount of painting required, notably the GP01's hands, blue beam rifle and shield, as well as the GP01's blue parts that should be gray.

Unless you're a GP01 completist like me or you simply prefer Kawamori's original design, skip this kit and go HGUC or RG instead.

oldgp01fb01_zpsuiyhxyuo.jpg

oldgp01fb02_zpsssw5bwx7.jpg

oldgp01fb03_zpso4ziqfam.jpg

oldgp01fb04_zpsnfnjbpdr.jpg

oldgp01fb05_zpsws5nomlq.jpg

oldgp01fb06_zpstddb7h6i.jpg

And here's the GP01Fb family. Note that I only have the HGUC Core Fighter Fb on display, as the NG and RG kits require parts removal and are simply out of proportion.

gp01fbfamily01_zpscczj6eqi.jpg

gp01fbfamily02_zpsbyepcjrf.jpg

gp01fbfamily03_zps941mqklz.jpg

gp01fbfamily04_zps1anwowei.jpg

gp01fbfamily05_zpsc0xknigg.jpg

Picked up the MG Zeta Plus A1 over the weekend for roughly US$28. For a kit that's 15 years old, it's a very solid build. Joints are very tight, but that means there's less worry about parts falling off. Also the easiest Zeta to transform.

Now if only the C1 went on sale...

mgzetaplusa101_zpsddn8hxyp.jpg

mgzetaplusa102_zpslnxphpp0.jpg

mgzetaplusa103_zpsprml9gup.jpg

mgzetaplusa104_zpstrfxpmd3.jpg

mgzetaplusa105_zpskadnlkuw.jpg

mgzetaplusa106_zpsw1nffois.jpg

mgzetaplusa107_zpsvtimj2ct.jpg

mgzetaplusa108_zpsl6oe5yyh.jpg

mgzetaplusa109_zpsbwkvhdvk.jpg

mgzetaplusa110_zpsthnyld61.jpg

mgzetaplusa111_zpskradlkr8.jpg

mgzetaplusa112_zps2slmsgrk.jpg

mgzetaplusa113_zpshu3wxqyj.jpg

mgzetaplusa114_zpsgnlzctd4.jpg

mgzetaplusa115_zps3cmocl69.jpg

mgzetaplusa116_zpsi5ddmoqj.jpg

I was just at a Hobby Town, (or was it Hobby People, I always get the two confused) and they had some of the new hg IBO kits for $11. They may be a little higher than ordering from Japan if you don't count shipping, so if you live near one in here in the U.S. It may be an alright alternative for buying.

They also had various mg, sd, rg and hg kits. And for those looking for paints there's also a new type of model master paint that comes in small bottles that are lacquer based for those having a hard time getting a hold of mr color, like me.

No pictures, currently building Zeta unit 3 RG ver GFT.

I just want to say something about the package, I was able to get the P-bandai before (but I sold it because I badly need money that time to meet some toy purchase) and notice that the p-bandai has duplicates or even triplicate some runner, this one looks like it only has the right runner like a normal release would. Only changed in color and added sticker.

Building experience: It is really different experience for me. Lots of engineering and I was really quite please with it. It is my first ever Zeta to ever build. It looks like it is more fragile than a normal RG though so for this one, I wont transform it.

Are those markings the usual hg sticker? I don't see an outline, so I was wondering how those markings are handled. I really love the box art on these. The web exclusive box art is usuall very dull, but these look fantastic. I may get them just as a display for the boxes alone.

Are those markings the usual hg sticker? I don't see an outline, so I was wondering how those markings are handled. I really love the box art on these. The web exclusive box art is usuall very dull, but these look fantastic. I may get them just as a display for the boxes alone.

they're made exclusive to the figures. HG's usually don't have so many stickers.

A7--oh come on, you can't just knock out a Zeta Plus A1 over the weekend, when I've spent a week on the wing leading edges alone! :p

What can I say? I work fast. Though I need to replace some of the dry transfers with waterslide decals and topcoat it later this month.