Lost and Found Toys now flightpose.com

logos

I had these stands back in the day when they were cast acrylic with black tips, and the current models. Luckily, I have only used them on non-painted valks so no paint issues for me.

Paint issues aside, these stands are great for the money but it always seemed you got the best poses out of using a mix of long and short rods. Right now, the only way to do that would be to buy a variety, of stands and just use the rods. It would be great if they sold the rods separately.

yeah, the cover plate should seriously have been made of a solid acrylic piece and not hollow. I've had at least 3 of them crack like that.

I have cracks on the base plates, top cover plates, and ball base of the legs. Bascially just about every clear part of the stand cracks to some degree. The old solid acrylic stands were like tank compare to the newer ones.

• 3 weeks later...

In case folks here are still interested, Flightpose has a new set of preorders going up.

Despite fears after seeing what happened here, I decided to take the plunge and pick up 1 set of 3 sizes to use for taking pics ..

Probably will avoid long term posing as I'd wanna avoid the problems you guys faced (I would really love me some proper stands for long term posing).

Shipment is expected to be in April apparently.

ive had these (12 sets) for about a year now..ive been checking once a month to see if they are eating the paint off my valks and ive had no issue...however they do crack if you crank down on the screws..there is a fine line between cracking and it being tight..but over all these are awesome...

In case folks here are still interested, Flightpose has a new set of preorders going up.

Despite fears after seeing what happened here, I decided to take the plunge and pick up 1 set of 3 sizes to use for taking pics ..

Probably will avoid long term posing as I'd wanna avoid the problems you guys faced (I would really love me some proper stands for long term posing).

Shipment is expected to be in April apparently.

I think the problem is that the owner (or whoever was affiliated with Flighhtpose) used to post here, then when people brought up the issue of paint damage he just disappeared. I think he tried to look into it at first but when more reports surfaced he started to ignore us and basically said nothing was wrong and left. That was what I remembered anyway, someone can correct me if I'm wrong.

I think the problem is that the owner (or whoever was affiliated with Flighhtpose) used to post here, then when people brought up the issue of paint damage he just disappeared. I think he tried to look into it at first but when more reports surfaced he started to ignore us and basically said nothing was wrong and left. That was what I remembered anyway, someone can correct me if I'm wrong.

This was the last post from the owner on the topic.

It sounds like the manufacturer didn't acknowledge the problem, so there was nothing they could do about it. Although I thought his response of "taking action" was rather weak -- basically, don't display anything on the stands long-term. I think the website should at least acknowledge this issue and be updated accordingly. Nothing up there about it, from what I've seen.

Edited by SuperSenpai

• 4 weeks later...

im really surprised no ones replicated these on shapeways. it seems easy enough to model in 3d. I personally dont care if its clear acrylic. Id be perfectly ok with white

I think the problem lies in the tips, not the actual structure of the base and supports. In order to properly grip whatever is being displayed, the tips need to have some friction on them. The most logical choice would be some kind of rubber or flexible plastic, as it provides friction while also being flexible and not damaging the toy by scratching it. As far as I know, Shapeways only offers printing in rigid materials, not rubber-like ones. Besides, even if it were possible to 3D print using a rubber-like material, there's no guarantee that we wouldn't get the same paint-damaging affect.

I just don't put the nubs on a painted surface. Kinda avoids the problem completely at that point. I even pick up my valks and check, they've been on those stands for over a year and nothing.

I just don't put the nubs on a painted surface. Kinda avoids the problem completely at that point. I even pick up my valks and check, they've been on those stands for over a year and nothing.

Seems easy enough. I don't have any crazy weathered editions haha

I hate to bring another issue to the table because I love the Flightpose stands, and have met their seller in person and he's a great guy. However, this is probably something you'd like to be aware of.

The silicone tips seem to affect certain unpainted areas on toys, if you happen to rest a part of the toy on them that is made of clear plastic. See below, where it left a small smudge (looks like a fingerprint) in the middle of the red crystal of my VF-19 Sound Booster. I'd say it was on the stand maybe for a couple of weeks.

post-5048-0-61330500-1365342645_thumb.jpg

post-5048-0-39329800-1365342627_thumb.jpg

I hate to bring another issue to the table because I love the Flightpose stands, and have met their seller in person and he's a great guy. However, this is probably something you'd like to be aware of.

The silicone tips seem to affect certain unpainted areas on toys, if you happen to rest a part of the toy on them that is made of clear plastic. See below, where it left a small smudge (looks like a fingerprint) in the middle of the red crystal of my VF-19 Sound Booster. I'd say it was on the stand maybe for a couple of weeks.

attachicon.gifFlightpose Sound Booster.JPG

attachicon.gifFlightpose Tip.JPG

The clear plastic is actually also painted. It's just painted with a clear red paint. The plastic itself is not colored. So bare plastic still seems to be safe. Just have to watch out for the painted surfaces.

^^^ Yeah, that is clear white plastic painted with clear red paint. Personally I would not buy these stands because I can't risk one day forgetting to position them so they don't touch painted surfaces. They're nice and all but I can forget these little details to watch out for and accidents happen. These things are either fully safe with my collectibles or no sale. Sorry :(

Edited by xrentonx

Does anyone know if the tips will also eat into protective clearcoats?

I own about 10 of these stands that I've picked up over time that I'll try to continue using, but I wouldn't buy any more, and I won't recommend them to anyone. In addition to the paint-eating issue, straight out of the box a few of mine were missing a rubber nub in the base, making the entire stand rickety like a table at a faux French cafe.

I'm very careful about making sure the tips only contact unpainted surfaces, but for some reason the tips leave a greasy residue on my VF-1D. It doesn't happen with any other valkyrie. No idea why.

Does anyone know if the tips will also eat into protective clearcoats?

I own about 10 of these stands that I've picked up over time that I'll try to continue using, but I wouldn't buy any more, and I won't recommend them to anyone. In addition to the paint-eating issue, straight out of the box a few of mine were missing a rubber nub in the base, making the entire stand rickety like a table at a faux French cafe.

I'm very careful about making sure the tips only contact unpainted surfaces, but for some reason the tips leave a greasy residue on my VF-1D. It doesn't happen with any other valkyrie. No idea why.

Yes, they will absolutely ruin your clearcoats as well. It has happened to me with both lacquer and acrylic clearcoats.

means its better to buy yamato might block #1??

In my own personal experience with those, they are pretty rubbish also. The non-ratcheted joint is pretty loose and no matter how well I balanced even a VF-1 on them, I'd eventually find that the stand had dumped it from the shelf onto the floor a day or so later. I got so frustrated, I smashed one of them. After being less pissed, I super glued the joint on the other permanently into one fixed position.

Depending on what you want to put on a stand, I would probably recommend getting one of those Bandai action base 1 stands and get some adapters from Exo's Shapeways store or search around for the original flexidisplay stands with the black rubber tips. I've had clear coated valks sitting on them for months without the slightest hint of a blemish. I wish they still made them like they used to. Aside from the superior tips, the base was a solid piece of acrylic and heavier and thus more stable and not so prone to cracking like the newer versions do.

I had my 19s on flight pose stands for a long time without problems. the yamato stand adapter for fighter mode never seated secure enough to use safely... Now I am starting to lean towards acrylic risers small enough to fit in a detolf...

(null)

• 1 month later...

So after my last post I tried an experiment... I had several of these little 3/8" foam rubber pads lying around the house from when I padded all my drawers & cabinet doors, and it seems like the foam rubber is what I've been looking for.

It isn't sticky/tacky on the upper side like the silicone rubber caps, but if you can balance a Valk on the 3 legs of a flightpose stand, they stay in place nicely on the ends of the rods (they have an adhesive sticky back). The shape conforms to whatever you balance on it, doesn't take off paint, and leaves no residue on the stand's leg if you switch it back off to the silicone rubber cap. Right now I've got the same Sound Booster sitting on 3 legs in the same arrangement as before, but replaced the one tip with a foam rubber pad, and it has contoured quite nicely.

As a bonus, they're available at most local home improvement stores, in the same section as the felt pads you put under furniture to keep from scuffing wood floors. Unfortunately, tan seems to be the only color available, but they're small in profile and pretty much disappear under whatever you stand on them. Trimming them down may also be an option.

074523011416lg.jpg

For my experiment, I pinched one against the painted tail fin of a 1/100 Toynami Veritech (expendable) with a clothes pin for a month, undisturbed in a naturally-lit room, and absolutely nothing happened to the paint.

Anyone tried saranwrap around the tip? Just trying to think outside the box for a cheap and effective fix. My first FP stands are on order but I'm already thinking about solutions to this problem.

I have some and have never had issues with them but I used them only for my YF-19/21 and VF-22's.

For those people that have issues, could the silicone tips be taken off and replaced with a pencil eraser? A small slice from one with some super glue or epoxy to hold it to the tip of the acrylic rods?

Deadeye and idontknow:

Both of these were tried a couple pages back, and don't seem to be recommended fixes. The saran wrap doesn't work as an effective shield, and certain types of erasers can actually react in worse ways than the silicone rubber caps.