HG and Robotech Debates

azrael

I heard understood how English dubbed VA or Producers get so much attention/credit.

Is there any real creativity or talent involved? Sure they might work hard and do a good job but didn't someone already do all the work for them?

I heard understood how English dubbed VA or Producers get so much attention/credit.

Is there any real creativity or talent involved? Sure they might work hard and do a good job but didn't someone already do all the work for them?

Well outside of Japan the English dubbing VA and Producers have a much more obvious presence to the fans of English dubs and they are also much more accessible then their Japanese counterparts. And its the case with any entertainment venue that the performers that are seen and/or heard get all the attention and credit.

There is also a lot of real creativity and talent involved. Voice Acting and rewriting the scripts for re-dubbing anime into another language are by far the hardest and most tedious jobs audio wise in the animation business.

Japanese can't literally be translated into English or any other language word for word and then be magically spoken to exactly match the original Japanese lip movements. Hence countless creative decisions have to be made on how to rewrite dub scripts that matches the lip movements in the new language while trying to keep the original intent as close to the original as possible. All while fans complain that the sub and dub tracks don't match word for word.

For the performers this also means that have to deliver their lines in sync with the original animation on top of acting in character. Its no mere coincidence that a number of English and Japanese VAs have musical talent as before audio software made syncing and re-timing audio convenient it was vital to have a great sense of rhythm in order to deliver lines to the timed animation.

On top of that the Anime dubbing industry in America also get paid the least and have the fewest job offers. By comparison in Japan the dubbing industry flourishs not only on all the anime titles that need dubbing, but all the big Hollywood films that get localized for Japan. Take Akira Kamiya for instance, he has no doubt made much more money as the Japanese voice of James Bond for the last 15 years, then he has as the voice of Roy Rocker for the last 28 years.

On top of that the Anime dubbing industry in America also get paid the least and have the fewest job offers. By comparison in Japan the dubbing industry flourishs not only on all the anime titles that need dubbing, but all the big Hollywood films that get localized for Japan. Take Akira Kamiya for instance, he has no doubt made much more money as the Japanese voice of James Bond for the last 15 years, then he has as the voice of Roy Rocker for the last 28 years.

I've heard that the Japanese dub for Star Trek: The Next Generation was very good quality.

http://www.robotech.com/community/forum/re...genumber=1#post

You rage you lose?

Many have established that Macross and Robotech are not one in the same. However, there is a lot more to it then that.

There is a big legal drama going on in Japan. Much of it resolved, some of it not. However, the basic break down at this point is this:

In the legal issues in Japan, Tatsunoko (the animation company that did all the art work for SDF: Macross) got legal possession of the art work for SDF: Macross and all the merchandice rights.

Big West AKA Studio Nue got the rights to the story of Macross.

HG, though not a party to the legal issues, has gained, through it's contracts with Tats and through some trademarking legalities, all the distribution rights to ANYTHING Macross that comes OUT of Japan.

Big West AKA Studio Nue owns the distribution rights WITHIN Japan.

Due to some poorly worded contracts, and HG standing on their legal rights, Big West is mad at HG. In order to get any Macross stuff out of Japan, Big West (legally) HAS TO talk to HG. However, Big West is mad at HG and so they refuse to deal with HG. The result is that NOTHING (besides SDF: Macross, which is pretty much already legally HG's) can come out of Japan and, until Big West is willing to sit at the table with HG, nothing will ever come out of Japan.

You rage you lose?

Another ignorant Robotech fan spews bullshit about a subject he doesn't understand... business as usual.

I e-mailed the poor chap being misled by Rhade with the facts of the matter in simple, easy-to-understand terms, and also fired an e-mail off to Rhade pointing out where he went wrong and why. The fewer people misled by tripe like that, the better...

Edited by Seto Kaiba

Until Harmony Gold stops acting like a lame duck with Robotech while Macross is coming out with quality material, in fact, just any new material besides merchandise on a regular basis, the legal argument for their defense really doesn't help them. That just makes them trademark holders for something they really do not have control over and can't effectively respond to. That's what I think at least, since everything that is said and done by HG is supposed to turn into REAL results somewhere down the line if they were true.

Although I had my disagreements with fan projects in the past, I would like to offer my condolences to the people at UEG Productions who recently reported getting the shaft from Harmony Gold for promoting their Robotech Genesis fanfilm.

http://www.robotechx.com/forums/25-robotec...p;start=20#9775

Although I had my disagreements with fan projects in the past, I would like to offer my condolences to the people at UEG Productions who recently reported getting the shaft from Harmony Gold for promoting their Robotech Genesis fanfilm.

When they were told they couldn't get authorization for a ?commercial fanfilm?, did they just assume they would be allowed to make and distribute a non-commercial one?

If so, they should have seen this coming.

Edited by hulagu

Kinda weird. I have a little bit of sympathy for them, having put in so much work into a project that they clearly enjoyed. But, on the other hand, they were foolish to tie themselves to HG and RT since HG has such a terrible track record...

Taksraven

I think that is just utter complete BS :wacko:

but then again, it's something you can expect

from that Sh!t hole

They didn't say the project has ended, only they've been banned from RT.com and their posts have been deleted.

They also mentioned they might cut the robotech ties with it

They didn't say the project has ended, only they've been banned from RT.com and their posts have been deleted.

Yeah, I know that, but they probably still face the possibililty of HG lawyers coming after them to stop them working on it. Would any of us here be surprised if that happened? Really??

I think that is just utter complete BS :wacko:

but then again, it's something you can expect

from that Sh!t hole

Don't worry about the edits to your post, the mods do that for profanity and etc.

What's really ironic about it is that I heard about this near the same time I stopped by The Protoculture Times' blog to hear this quote:

Isabel, aka Robotech/Scifi artist AMEBAN introduced me to something that for me...(I don't speak nor represent anybody else!)...sums it all up about Robotech fandom...

"Copyright laws say Harmony Gold is the series owner, but we, the fans, can enjoy the series as we want without complications..."

To those who want to "control" that.....the circuses are in winter retreat...you should apply!

Unfortunately Zen, that's HG in this case.

It'd be interesting to have HG lawyers try to go after them with a C&D order. They're not making their fan show for profit, so, what are they gonna do? If they're gonna go after them, they might as well go after everyone who does fanfics, fan art, so on, etc, etc. HG would really have no stance as far as going after them, from what it seems. It just looks like they're pissed that they're getting screwed over by the franchise they are so wanting to support. There comes a point when the UEG guys will need to decide just how much attention they'll want to give to "Robotech". I can always appreciate fan work, and I know these guys have done a terrific job on what they've done so far. Such a shame that boys at HG are gonna do the whole "sour grapes", and get butt hurt over someone doing something. I'm kinda curious as to what sparked the deleting of all their posts and account?

The redone Maia Sterling Alpha has apparently started making the rounds...to less-than-stellar reviews:

http://www.robotechx.com/forums/38-robotec...ling-alpha.html

Did He-Who-Cannot-Spell-in-Small-Caps just close the thread for a bad review?

I'm reading "The administrator has disabled public write access." .

If the quality sucks the quality sucks.

Edited by RedWolf

When they were told they couldn't get authorization for a ?commercial fanfilm?, did they just assume they would be allowed to make and distribute a non-commercial one?

Presumably yes... of course they're not even close to being the first fan project to have that happen. Even back in the 80s Harmony Gold was stomping all over fan projects at every opportunity. That they even thought Harmony Gold wouldn't is enough to rob me of any sympathy I might otherwise feel towards their plight.

Sigh... Not to mention Big West and Studio Nue are two different entities. One is an advertisement company the other is a animation studio.

Know-it-alls that didn't do a shred of research.

Oh its gets better... I e-mailed Rhade about his error expecting to hear it was an honest goof and he'd misremembered. Somehow, I guess I shouldn't be surprised that he actually believes the provably-wrong tripe he wrote is factual, and started telling me that I was completely wrong.

Among other things, he insisted that Studio Nue was "bought and absorbed" by Big West, that the "legal briefs" available on the web say that Tatsunoko was given the rights to the intellectual property of the series and that Big West only owns the rights to the story. He also repeated his claim that Macross is being kept out of the states because Harmony Gold owns the distribution rights to the entire franchise, rather than that it's being kept out by a trademark Harmony Gold filed for after the legal dispute started.

He then fired back with this amusing little number:

I will say this once..

I am a member of Macross World. However, I know it for what it is; a home for people who's ONLY goal to to trash HG and they don't let little things, like the facts, get in their way. Their so entrenched in their idea that the OSM is perfect, and Robotech is such blasphemy, that they go out of their way to make things up, spread rumors, and trash Robotech. All in the name of their distorted view of the truth (which is, more often then not, a deliberate distortion of the truth in their attempts to discredit Robotech). Hence my choice to no longer post there or take ANY information they give as ANYTHING accurate. Frankly, I am sick of BOTH the robotech defends and the macross purists. As such, I have done my own research, independent of BOTH sides. If you don't like what I have found, oh well. However, I was accurate in my postings. Big West did by control of Studio Nue. And everything else I posted was fairly on the money. I left out so details (such as defining merchandising - IE Comics are one element, toys lines, are another and the Japanese rulings actually divided things THAT specifically. Hence why HG is able to use some Macross stuff in comics, but not in Animation et al.), but I was trying to be BRIEF. Explaining the totality of all the rulings and what all means would take pages and days. Sadly, it is evident that not ALL the rulings have been read, even by your fan friends on MacrossWorld, and therefor have little understanding of what all these rulings mean. Further, it's apparent that the choices of which rulings to read were selected to paint Big West in a glowing light and, once again, place HG is this horrible position. Sadly the facts do not bear that out.

I'll point out ONE common sense item, that everyone should have picked up on, but is often ignored by those on Macross World...

Look in the trademark and how it is done. Yes, HG trademarked Macross out side of Japan. However, they could not do so if they were not granted those rights in the contracts. In order to trademark the Macross name, HG would have had to prove legal ownership of it. Were it not for the contracts, that grant HG those rights, the Japanese rulings would have forced the trademark to be dropped.

Amazing, however, that no one at MacrossWorld has even noticed this. So, do not use ANYTHING from MacrossWorld to try and defend your position with me. It insults us both to have anything to do with them.

MacrossWorld is not about loving Macross. It's about hating Robotech.

Nothing more and any info gleaned from them is decidedly slanted to accomplish that goal.

Now there's a butthurt Robotech fan who wants to keep living in a fairy-tale world. Of course, this is by the same guy who spent about six pages in the Robotech.com Lounge spinning an increasingly ridiculous yarn rather than admit that he'd made a mistake when he claimed that there was a dangerous new computer virus in circulation, which, when researched, turned out to be a five year old low-threat trojan horse. When confronted with this fact, he told everyone that it was a new variant, that the reason he knew about it before even Symantec and McAfee did was because he'd gotten the information through inside channels from back before he quit his job as a highly-paid security expert for Microsoft to become a hotel manager. (If your bullshit detector isn't redlining yet, wait a sec) When several people called "Bullshit" on that, he also claimed to be working a side job (or jobs) as a freelance viral code analyst for Microsoft, Symantec, and McAfee (all at the same time), and that they sent him viral code for analysis so he could develop countermeasures for it.

Compared to that, this latest line from him really doesn't seem that bad by comparison.

EDIT: I looked up Rhade's user account here. It looks like he's telling the truth when he claims he does have an account here, though he only used it for about a month after registering back in August '04. No posts, no profile views.

Edited by Seto Kaiba

Once again, the only people HG hate more than Macross fans, are Robotech fans :) Perhaps a lesson to both HG & Robotech fans, MAKE YOUR OWN FREAKIN' SHOW!!

Edited by Keith

MacrossWorld is not about loving Macross. It's about hating Robotech.

Nothing more and any info gleaned from them is decidedly slanted to accomplish that goal.

Cripes.

Again, WHY DO ROBOTECH FANS LOOK AT THIS THREAD AND THIS THREAD ONLY???

Captain Donovan said he looked in the "Movies and TV Series" forum, but couldn't understand what anyone was talking about (so he promptly ignored it). Dougbendo acts on his podcast like this thread is the only thread on the whole site (which is, apparently, why he thinks VFTF1 is the highest VIP here).

So, to any Robotech fans who might be reading this, and think we're all harping on your favorite series too much, take a look around the place. Look at the toy forums, the model forums, the fanworks forums, the series forums...LOOK AT ALL THE STUFF WE TALK ABOUT THAT HAS EVERYTHING TO DO WITH MACROSS, AND NOTHING TO DO WITH ROBOTECH.

You'll be glad you did. ;)

Again, WHY DO ROBOTECH FANS LOOK AT THIS THREAD AND THIS THREAD ONLY???

Logically... because they come here with the preconceived notion that we are THE ENEMY and that anything we do must ultimately involve hating on Robotech. I'd say the majority of them aren't coming here with an open mind, they're coming here looking for a reason to dislike the place so they can go back to hating on it as the ultimate source of the anti-Robotech sentiment they encounter all over the web.

To them, we are the legions of the evil empire struggling to crush the last bastions of resistance in the world, and they, the Robotech fans, are the valiant rebellion struggling to free the world from our oppressive domination.

It's an amusing fantasy, but fantasy is all it is.

Edited by Seto Kaiba

To them, we are the legions of the evil empire struggling to crush the last bastions of resistance in the world, and they, the Robotech fans, are the valiant rebellion struggling to free the world from our oppressive domination.

...I CALL EMPEROR PALPATINE! :lol:^_^:D:p

Thats right...I keep pointing Kaiba in the direction of RT and saying "Kill"...

Oh, wait...does that make me the Force then?

...damn, i should use an analogy im more familiar with! :blink:

Logically... because they come here with the preconceived notion that we are THE ENEMY and that anything we do must ultimately involve hating on Robotech. I'd say the majority of them aren't coming here with an open mind, they're coming here looking for a reason to dislike the place so they can go back to hating on it as the ultimate source of the anti-Robotech sentiment they encounter all over the web.

It's an amusing fantasy, but fantasy is all it is.

Wait 4chan's /m/ is the ultimate source of the anti-Robotech sentiment.

Rhade appears to know squat about Trademarks. You don't necessarily need a copyright for a trademark. That is why Hasbro was lucky Saban didn't trademark Cybertron which he almost named VR Troopers. For that matter Cartoon Network didn't get any flak from Hasbro when Tobikage was dubbed as Ninja Robots. With the titular ninja robot called in the dub as Cybertron. This was a time before Hasbro trademarked the name Cybertron.

The only one absorbed is Tatsunoko. Takara, now Takara-Tomy, bought it.

Thats right...I keep pointing Kaiba in the direction of RT and saying "Kill"...

Oh, wait...does that make me the Force then?

And you never listen when I tell you I have better things to do with my time than deliver verbal thrashings to the deluded masses on Robotech.com. Right now, forcing the ignorant inhabitants of that den of bullshit and lies to see sense ranks a little below teaching myself to play the banjo and listening to paint dry on my list of priorities.

Wait 4chan's /m/ is the ultimate source of the anti-Robotech sentiment.

One could argue that... but we're a much easier target to lay the blame on because we don't post our scathing criticisms of Robotech and Harmony Gold from behind the convenient veil of relative anonymity. It's a lot harder for them to ignore what we say because they can associate our remarks with an actual person. We also stand out because we don't just say "Robotech sucks", we offer a rationale to go with it. It's easy to ignore hate without context... but once an explanation for the dislike emerges it's a lot harder to discount it as irrational or petty.

Rhade appears to know squat about Trademarks. You don't necessarily need a copyright for a trademark.

So... a Robotech fan who doesn't understand a situation is trying to speak about it as though he/she is an expert on every aspect of it. Business as usual. No wonder I still get at least two e-mails a week from people telling me they can't get straight answers to their questions on Robotech.com.

And you never listen when I tell you I have better things to do with my time than deliver verbal thrashings to the deluded masses on Robotech.com. Right now, forcing the ignorant inhabitants of that den of bullshit and lies to see sense ranks a little below teaching myself to play the banjo and listening to paint dry on my list of priorities.

^_^ And yet, you do it anyway? :lol:

I read that thread and apparently someone is trying to undermine their project. Somebody is telling HG about how UEG is gonna commercialize their Genesis animation, despite the fact that they (UEG) have made it clear already that they won't.

I read that thread and apparently someone is trying to undermine their project. Somebody is telling HG about how UEG is gonna commercialize their Genesis animation, despite the fact that they (UEG) have made it clear already that they won't.

In the Robotech fandom, who needs enemies when you have your fellow fans?

When confronted with this fact, he told everyone that it was a new variant, that the reason he knew about it before even Symantec and McAfee did was because he'd gotten the information through inside channels from back before he quit his job as a highly-paid security expert for Microsoft to become a hotel manager.

Oh I remember that virus. You have it all wrong Seto.

The virus Rhade was talking about was developed by me, when I still worked for Chinese Secret Services. It was co-developed with the aid of former Soviet nuclear scientists and my amazingly one-of-a-kind chimpanze, Herman, who can make fart sounds when cusping hands against his mouth.

Sorry Seto - but you're not always right.

Pete