HG and Robotech Debates

azrael

You would have to hate yourself, and life, pretty badly if you were going to focus too much on that character, make him your favourite and then be unable to accept any criticisms of him.

Only realworld counterpart I can think of for Leonard is Neville Chamberlain, and he has no fans amongst historians. Nobody is that much of a sucker for punishment.

I think that this website is a pisstake on the Leonard thing, but its one of the weirdest RT sites I have ever seen..... (some NSFW language for everybody under the age of ten who hangs around here....) Actually they look like some sort of RT dissenters, maybe Seto can shed some light on this sort of weirdness??

Taksraven

Sometimes...Robotech fandom reminds me of a bunch of people who are forced to live in close proximity to each other for years and end up hating each other for it...

Who da new cutie in avatar, Gubaba??

Taksraven

Check the link in my sig. ^_^ Although in your neck of the woods, it's probably not her birthday anymore.

That better be Robotech Frontier and Mac+: The Sentinels you're talking about...your credibility as a hardcore Robotech fan is evaporating quickly. :lol:

While I've never claimed to be a hardcore RT fan, there are some who think, because I'm writing a fanfic, I should be... It's a real pain in the a$$ to have a functioning brain...

Check the link in my sig. Although in your neck of the woods, it's probably not her birthday anymore.

Damn you, for getting that song stuck in my head. I'll be going to sleep thinking of cheerleaders, golf, and bowling balls.

While I've never claimed to be a hardcore RT fan, there are some who think, because I'm writing a fanfic, I should be... It's a real pain in the a$$ to have a functioning brain...

That's probably why they will constantly hate you. Because they feel you should be a hardcore RT fan. I'm sure it burns them. I got an email from someone of non importance recently, criticizing me for my stance. His idea was that I need to stay true to what I was originally a fan of. Well, my response was, "If I'm gonna stay true to what I was originally a fan of, I would've never got into Robotech. I'd have stayed a Macross fan, being that first." Lil dougie, I'm pretty sure, hates the fact that people like you, Seto, and any "smart" people aren't on their elitist gospel of Robotech. And people wonder why people refer to them as "drinking the cool-aid". Seems like they'd be the ones to easily follow the strange cults.

That's probably why they will constantly hate you. Because they feel you should be a hardcore RT fan. I'm sure it burns them. I got an email from someone of non importance recently, criticizing me for my stance. His idea was that I need to stay true to what I was originally a fan of. Well, my response was, "If I'm gonna stay true to what I was originally a fan of, I would've never got into Robotech. I'd have stayed a Macross fan, being that first." Lil dougie, I'm pretty sure, hates the fact that people like you, Seto, and any "smart" people aren't on their elitist gospel of Robotech. And people wonder why people refer to them as "drinking the cool-aid". Seems like they'd be the ones to easily follow the strange cults.

You know, this might not come as a surprise to anyone, but I'm still gonna say it...

The strange, awful truth of the situation has become clear to me.

Roughly a week ago, I made the decision to withdraw myself from the RT-fandom politics. Now, while the primary reason for this will remain unspoken by me, I will say that the result has been like a great weight lifted off my shoulders.

The staggering truth is that RT-fandom only survives thorugh the completely hardcore, unbending stance of its fans. If you call yourself a fan, you must adhere to a stringent code of violent opposition to all things Macross, the blind acceptance and belief in every utterance that comes out of HG, and unquestioning loyalty to the 'Mods' (I use the term loosely, for obvious reasons) that do everything in their power to silence the nay-sayers.

Now, on the other side of the coin, we have MW, and by extension, the fans of Macross in general. I've walked into this as a serious NOOB, and not only have I gotten a lot of quesitons asked (Testing the breaking point of some folks' patience, I'm sure) and even respect from said-same people.

A rather interesting study in polar opposites, to be sure.

Like I said, I'm sure this comes as a surprise to no one, but in my recently newfound clamness and serenity, I find myself compelled toi comment, and even offer my thanks to those who have given me help. You know who you are.

Okay, I'm done for now... B))

Edited by Robelwell202

Check the link in my sig. ^_^ Although in your neck of the woods, it's probably not her birthday anymore.

Thanks for that. At the moment I love redhead chicks singing 80's sounding

Taksraven

It's all your fault!!!

And that, children, is why I'm STILL Public Enemy No.1 in the eyes of the Robotech lunatic fringe. I corrupt good, wholesome, ignorant Robotech fans into godless, evil Macross fans with my insidious knowledge and diabolical use of logic and facts. MWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Now if anyone needs me, I'll be supervising my witless minions while they dig a moat around my doom castle to store the excess magma that we were left with after boring a hole into the Earth's core to cause the earthquakes in Haiti.

You would have to hate yourself, and life, pretty badly if you were going to focus too much on that character, make him your favourite and then be unable to accept any criticisms of him. Only realworld counterpart I can think of for Leonard is Neville Chamberlain, and he has no fans amongst historians. Nobody is that much of a sucker for punishment.

Wishing no ill to the few members of the Disciples of Leonard I do have regular contact with and respect, there are a fair few members of that group who do fit your description pretty well. I'm reminded all too vividly of how one of them, who works as a hotel manager, once tried to convince me he was a freelance programmer working on antivirus solutions for Microsoft, Symantec, and McAfee all at the same time while attempting to warn everyone about a new virus he claimed he'd been warned about via insider connections that turned out to be a four-year old low-threat trojan that didn't have any of the behaviors he identified.

Just from what I've seen personally, the fan-group known as the Disciples of Leonard seems to be a catch-all group for those Robotech fans who, for whatever reason (masochism), though that the Masters Saga was pretty good and that the criticisms leveled at the Army of the Southern Cross are generally unwarranted or unduly harsh. They like to deflect the blame for the ASC's failures to fan-favorite Rick Hunter by citing a scene from the Sentinels "movie" wherein Commander Leonard shouts at Dr. Lang and Rick Hunter in the middle of a press conference, claiming that the Earth's defenses were being stripped bare to supply the REF. The comics kind of take the piss out of him on this note, having him launch into hyperbole about how he couldn't defend the Earth against an army of ducks and bunnies with the forces he had left. As it stands, I don't think any of the DOL people have taken the time to comment on the way their hero is portrayed as both an obstructive military bureaucrat and an Anti-UN operative working to bring down the United Earth Government from within in Tommy Yune's From the Stars miniseries. It seems a safe bet that they probably consider it somewhere between insulting and HERESY!

One of the areas wherein our favorite problem child Pizza the Hutt was pretty much spot on is that, at least while I was still active on RT.com, the Disciples of Leonard had a REALLY bad reputation among the fans. In my experience, they were easily enough to get along with, and actually numbered among the more reasonable members of the active fandom, provided you didn't criticize anything related to the Masters Saga. If someone criticized Leonard or the ASC, it was pretty much a given that the handful of active DOL members would be all over the thread like a starving kid at an all-you-can-eat buffet. Their usual MO is to mob the thread with an organized campaign to defend their favorite saga, which more often than not derailed the thread entirely, and if the OP didn't quickly recant his position to shut them up, could quickly descend into little more than premeditated harassment. It certainly doesn't help that a few of their most vocal members are the sort of BBS user that desperately wants to be a moderator and can't comprehend why nobody listens to them when they try to scold other members for perceived Terms of Use violations.

I think that this website is a pisstake on the Leonard thing, but its one of the weirdest RT sites I have ever seen..... (some NSFW language for everybody under the age of ten who hangs around here....) Actually they look like some sort of RT dissenters, maybe Seto can shed some light on this sort of weirdness??

Oh, you're entirely right about that. It looks like they pissed off someone enough to take a Khyron_Prime style cheap shot at them on his private website that nobody visits or gives a poo about. Dunno the guy responsible for the site, but I'd wager he's probably someone who's been banned from Robotech.com since posting it. See the above for my take on the whole Disciples of Leonard business.

Now, on the other side of the coin, we have MW, and by extension, the fans of Macross in general. I've walked into this as a serious NOOB, and not only have I gotten a lot of quesitons asked (Testing the breaking point of some folks' patience, I'm sure) and even respect from said-same people.

A rather interesting study in polar opposites, to be sure.

Like I said, I'm sure this comes as a surprise to no one, but in my recently newfound clamness and serenity, I find myself compelled toi comment, and even offer my thanks to those who have given me help. You know who you are.

Okay, I'm done for now... B))

Much as I'm sure we'd all love to bask in the adoration, I think more of it has to do with YOU than it does with US. As an example, look at Captain Christopher Donovan, who arrived and almost immediately began blasting us for our disdain of Robotech, ludicrously comparing it to the Civil Rights Movement, and throwing verbal daggers at Einherjar and Seto.

Let's just say the reception he got was...less welcoming than the one you got. :unsure:

And, to be sure, there ARE people here who can be total dicks sometimes...but in general I think we're pretty nice. I mean, look at HappyPenguins. She's not even a Macross fan, and yet she's quite welcome here. Ditto JT (of course, that's because we all know that secretly, Jazznik is trying to raise a private Macross army to storm the Harmony Gold office, right? Right).

So yeah, I think even if someone is not the slightest bit interested in Macross, they're get a fair shake here as long as they're reasonable. :)

I do not see the rationale for something like the Disciples of Leonard, Zor, or whatnot. It's taking something a person really likes to an extreme where it just gets really strange and uncomfortable. This is the Internet and all, but it's still just a cartoon edited from another cartoon, no matter how much filler people put to make it more alive.

I do not see the rationale for something like the Disciples of Leonard, Zor, or whatnot. It's taking something a person really likes to an extreme where it just gets really strange and uncomfortable. This is the Internet and all, but it's still just a cartoon edited from another cartoon, no matter how much filler people put to make it more alive.

To be honest, if you were expecting a group like the Disciples of Leonard to have a logical rationale for their behavior, I'd say you're probably expecting too much from them. On "paper", the Disciples of Leonard are a character fan club for the handful of mutants who thought the Masters Saga was good television. In practice, their behavior is more in line with that of the Robotech lunatic fringe, in that they actively seek to "defend" the Masters Saga from perfectly legitimate criticism and other people's opinions.

But Nanase makes sense, unlike Leonard. What's so appealing about a big, bald bureaucrat/fascist, the extreme patriotism?

Don't forget Leonard's other merits... like his rabid xenophobia, his weak grasp of tactics, and his frequent attempts to get everyone on his staff who isn't a "yes man" killed by assigning them to command suicide missions.

Much as I'm sure we'd all love to bask in the adoration, I think more of it has to do with YOU than it does with US. As an example, look at Captain Christopher Donovan, who arrived and almost immediately began blasting us for our disdain of Robotech, ludicrously comparing it to the Civil Rights Movement, and throwing verbal daggers at Einherjar and Seto.

Let's just say the reception he got was...less welcoming than the one you got. :unsure:

And, to be sure, there ARE people here who can be total dicks sometimes...but in general I think we're pretty nice. I mean, look at HappyPenguins. She's not even a Macross fan, and yet she's quite welcome here. Ditto JT (of course, that's because we all know that secretly, Jazznik is trying to raise a private Macross army to storm the Harmony Gold office, right? Right).

So yeah, I think even if someone is not the slightest bit interested in Macross, they're get a fair shake here as long as they're reasonable. :)

I'm a fan of the original SDF macross artwork, does that count? :wub:

Only realworld counterpart I can think of for Leonard is Neville Chamberlain, and he has no fans amongst historians. Nobody is that much of a sucker for punishment.

Taksraven

Interesting choice since the DoL obviously seem to worship Leonard like Hitler. I have to disagree completely though, Leonard strikes me much more as a losing Churchill, with no allied enforcements to help him repel against the overwhelming invaders who wouldn't take appeasement as an answer.

But Nanase makes sense, unlike Leonard. What's so appealing about a big, bald bureaucrat/fascist, the extreme patriotism?

Its not about being rational its just that as a big jerk/@$$hole Leonard is just so much more appealing then the "nice guy" Rolf Emerson. Just ask Takaraven why Joe was so much cooler then Ken in Gatchaman or ask any women why they dated a jerk.

Consider taking a break from Doug Bendo's and Collection DX's nerdy Podcasts and listen to reruns of Tom Leksy, a big fat Leonard look-alike, for a change.

To be honest, if you were expecting a group like the Disciples of Leonard to have a logical rationale for their behavior, I'd say you're probably expecting too much from them. On "paper", the Disciples of Leonard are a character fan club for the handful of mutants who thought the Masters Saga was good television.

I always thought they were a group that took a joke too far... Sort of like the guy there that "likes" the Lynn Kyle character so much.

If they are not just joking, well then I'm happy to be staying well away from them.

Its not about being rational its just that as a big jerk/@$$hole Leonard is just so much more appealing then the "nice guy" Rolf Emerson. Just ask Takaraven why Joe was so much cooler then Ken in Gatchaman or ask any women why they dated a jerk.

Who is Takaraven?

I know why people like Condor Joe in Gatchaman as opposed to Ken, but personally I never was in the "Cult of Joe" that seems to exist in Gatchaman fandom. I will admit that he is a pretty cool character in a lot of ways, but at times his "rebelliousness" gets rather tedious. I think that Fokker was supposed to fulfill a similar sort of role in the original SDF:M but i don't think that his character ever really worked out the way it was supposed to have. As a result, Fokker is bumped off. I think that Ozma in Frontier was a more successful character in this regard, and it was nice to see him make it to the end of the series.

When people choose a favorite character in a book, film or TV series it does end up saying something about their personality and who they are, whether it be the sort of person they want to be, or the sort of person that they already think they are.

Taksraven

Who is Takaraven?

He is this demon from Australia, like a Tasmanian devil :lol:, that takes the form of a giant grinning teddy bear. To summon him I had to do this long tedious sacrificial ritual and then press that little "A" key to the left of "S" on my keyboard.

Edited by Freiflug88

Don't forget Leonard's other merits... like his rabid xenophobia, his weak grasp of tactics, and his frequent attempts to get everyone on his staff who isn't a "yes man" killed by assigning them to command suicide missions.

Also S&M, but yeah, he's was never supposed to be that appealing at all.

He is this demon from Australia, like a Tasmanian devil :lol:, that takes the form of a giant grinning teddy bear. To summon him I had to do this long tedious sacrificial ritual and then press that little "A" key to the left of "S" on my keyboard.

I saw that in 'Akira'...

You're almost right, Jazznik is trying to build his own Robotech fanbase based on his gospel of Robotech, where the beer is endless, and the boobs flow out like a spring of mountain spring Protoculture. Down with all you pedophiles!!! Lesson to my song!

You're almost right, Jazznik is trying to build his own Robotech fanbase based on his gospel of Robotech, where the beer is endless, and the boobs flow out like a spring of mountain spring Protoculture. Down with all you pedophiles!!! Lesson to my song!

YOU FIEND!!!

I always thought they were a group that took a joke too far... Sort of like the guy there that "likes" the Lynn Kyle character so much.

No such luck, I'm afraid... though Hermann2 (the guy who "likes" Lynn Kyle too much) is a swell guy and a very helpful fellow... I'm astonished he hasn't been banned for being a closet Macross II fan.

Also S&M, but yeah, he's was never supposed to be that appealing at all.

Indeed, the funny part is that the Robotech version (Eli Anatole Leonard) is actually a much toned-down version of the borderline caricature that was Southern Cross's Claude Leon.

No such luck, I'm afraid... though Hermann2 (the guy who "likes" Lynn Kyle too much) is a swell guy and a very helpful fellow... I'm astonished he hasn't been banned for being a closet Macross II fan.

Herman is actually a good friend of mine, and we talk regularly. I know his parents, and he is a great guy. I can assure you that the whole Kyle thing is really more of a spoof thing. We have this "tradition" where whenever we have group hangouts, we pop in Macross II, and after a good buzz, we mimic the english voice actors. It's a great time, especially since each one of us can do the specific voices so damn exact.

There's about 8 or 9 of us that meet up from time to time for things, and it's a good group. Some are just Robotech fans, some are fans of both, while some are just Macross fans. Yet we all get along, and despite most of us decided to actively leave the RT forums and the offshoots of it, we've been able to remain friends. It's one of those things I don't get. Other people used to be part of the group like Memo, but decided to abandon the friends all because of some notariety of a cartoon. Now, that's their perogative, but it really shows you how much priority people place on a cartoon. I may like Macross a whole lot, but I'm not gonna abandon my friends over it. Maybe that's the kind of blind, isolated dedication it takes to be a RT fan? If that's what it takes by lil dougie's definition, they can have it. While not much of a RT fan, I still am one to some extent, and it's good to know that the people like Herman and others I do hang out with still know the importance of friends.

I saw that in 'Akira'...

That is hiliarous. Cause honest to God, I have yet to see that movie. I was just making a joke about how I accidently typed "A" instead of the "S" in "Taksraven", but now I must see this movie.

Such is the beauty of sexual dreaming. :lol:

<<< IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT >>>

Well, according to this, I'm not a Robotech fan, any more.

http://www.talkshoe.com/talkshoe/web/talkC...0695&cmd=tc

It seems that, according to the world's Number One Robtech Fan, I don't meet the minimum requirements to be in the elite clique that all of us aspire to.

I've been kicked out!

One thing I love...along with everything else, he talks about Shadow Chronicles selling 100,000 copies and how NO ONE EVER talks about Macross Frontier selling anything CLOSE to 100,000 copies.

Except... there's this: http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2008-...0-blu-ray-discs

"The Japanese anime distributor Bandai Visual has announced that it shipped 45,000 Blu-ray Discs and 55,000 DVDs for the first volume of the Macross Frontier science-fiction anime series on Friday."

Anyone care to guess what 45,000 + 55,000 equals...? ^_^

"The Japanese anime distributor Bandai Visual has announced that it shipped 45,000 Blu-ray Discs and 55,000 DVDs for the first volume of the Macross Frontier science-fiction anime series on Friday."

And that's just "the first volume"

Score another one for Macross!!

But how does it compare to, as Tommy puts it, Shadow Chronicles alone selling "hundreds of thousands"?? ^_^

One thing I love...along with everything else, he talks about Shadow Chronicles selling 100,000 copies and how NO ONE EVER talks about Macross Frontier selling anything CLOSE to 100,000 copies.

Well duh, look who's talking. It's Doug Bendo. Unsubstantiated claims and ignorance aren't new additions to his repertoire, they're his stock in trade. I've listened to a few of his podcasts, and there's no doubt in my mind that if we stopped to comment every time he said something stupid that didn't make sense or obviously wasn't true, this thread would be one long discussion about how Doug Bendo doesn't have a goddamn clue and lives in a fantasy world. We'd probably have to rename the thread from "HG and Robotech Debates" to "The Doug Bendo Idiocy Hour". It's not like anybody with a functioning brain would take that idiot seriously. Even on a good day he's almost unintelligable. Better to just ignore him and wait for him to look up and drown himself the next time it rains.

This below is mor Macross purist Bs cause of corse in Japan where Cowamoree is they cant get robotech cuz of legal blocade of HG's proparty. Fact spiks lowder then wurds! Only pedofiles buy blu-rays, and the dvds salz not acowting for much so go back to watching your kiddie porn macross purists fact is Shadow Chronciles is having better salz.

pete

Except... there's this: http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2008-...0-blu-ray-discs

Anyone care to guess what 45,000 + 55,000 equals...? ^_^