I just love the part int he original series...

Vinny

I can't remember the episode it was, but it was after the whole war thing ended. Hikaru had a date with Misa, and Hikaru instead went and saw Minmei, and then he had to put down a Zentran uprising, and what not. Then, he goes to see Misa and before Hikaru can even say his lie about what happened, Misa doesn't even care. Hikaru is like hours late, and Misa just wants to go on the date still, not caring what kept Hikaru. And then Hikaru goes and screws it all up (well, technically Minmei did, but she gets her just desserts in the end, and Hikaru was stupid in the first play to ditch Misa). There should've been a dream episode after that where for the whole episode Roy just brutally beats Hikaru for doing that to Misa. Misa is one of the coolest women ever ^_^

Yeah, Hikaru is pretty dense.

Why he would ever want to date that worthless insipid GIT Minmay is beyond me. She's an absolute moron in the series.

IMO, I don't think Minmay is portrayed as a moron in Macross, a little immature maybe, but not stupid. Of course if we are talking RT, then that's another story altogether ;)

Personally, I would have chosen Minmay. Misa is not at all physically attractive in the TV series.

Graham

hmmm...uptight soldier girl...or popstar idol?  Which one would you choose if you were a teenage boy? ;)

Personally, I think J A Dare nails it with the fact that Hikaru is a teenager when he starts out in the series. Whether the orginal Macross series or the RT tweek, viewers see him thrown into combat situations. Along with growing and learning to deal with war and conflict (hospitalized after getting shot down, losing his mentor, dealing with the death of comrades, etc), he eventually realizes that he wants someone a little more grounded in life by the end of the series, which turns out to be Misa.

They definately improved Misa's character design in DYRL. In the tv show Minmei was certainly the more attractive target, especially with Misa's huge stick up her @$$ in the beginning. Minmei was justa little naive. But then Hikaru blew it and allowed Kaifun to come back to the ship, who immediately proceded to interfere and stick his nose in everywhere, and blew Hikaru's potential alone time with Minmei. Robotech minmei was just stupid.

Misa was a very forgiving woman in the show. How many do we know that would wait like that for hours and not kill us after we showed up, or even wait 1 hour for that matter, and not kill us.

I don't really understand why you guys beat up in Minmay so much. Untill my current girlfriend, I dated whinny, bitchy, shallow girls exclusively. They were great. Chicks like Minmay can be so much fun.

Hikaru did it just perfect, except he should have spent the a few years nailing Minmay (instead of JUST hanging out with her), then gone to Misa.

I don't really understand why you guys beat up in Minmay so much. Untill my current girlfriend, I dated whinny, bitchy, shallow girls exclusively. They were great. Chicks like Minmay can be so much fun.

Hikaru did it just perfect, except he should have spent the a few years nailing Minmay (instead of JUST hanging out with her), then gone to Misa.

I have to fully agree with agent on this one, come on guys! How many times have you "hung out" with that one chick cause the tail was good. In the end, experience and matureness pays off. Did for me anyway,,,,but I allways have that thought, shouldve nailed that chick a few more times <_<

Yeah I'd to see that dream sequence with Fokker beating up on Hikaru for standing Misa up. A drunken Fokker.

You mean Focker, and as DYRL suggested I think you are right. Roy wanted Hikaru to be with Misa early on.

I don't really understand why you guys beat up in Minmay so much.  Untill my current girlfriend, I dated whinny, bitchy, shallow girls exclusively.  They were great.  Chicks like Minmay can be so much fun.

fwiw, in the TV-series, Hikaru pretty much nailed Minmay after the x'mas dinner.

in DYRL, Hikaru nailed Misa in the ruins.

Hikaru's THE MAN!

And Misa's the ice-queen. ^_^

:lol::lol::lol:

---

Anyway, just some comments about it.

Hikaru loves Minmay in the TV-series. Alot. He courted/chased her for a long time. But then he grew up and matured and realized even tho he loves Minmay so much and that they're already shacking up, it was just not gonna work and he won't be able to make Minmay happy the way he wants before as his priorities and responsibilities as a Skull leader directly in charge of protecting Earth comes first now above all else. He just can't juggle these two equally important jobs. Misa was just there and does not conflict with his responsibilities as much as Minmay's. Convenience won over.

In DYRL, Hikaru was really gunning for Minmay and Minmay was reciprocating his feelings. She wants him and wants him bad. Same for him about her. She doesn't care about with Misa's feelings for Hikaru. Just that circumstances prevented them from being and establishing their love firmly. Again, Misa was just there and Hikaru had made up his mind that Minmay was dead and his feelings for her also was dead. Great conflict when she turned up alive. The best triangle-scene in all of anime took place in Hikaru's room.

It was just a beautiful part of the Macross story (tv and dyrl) that sets it apart from other mecha and non-mecha anime. I think that's why most of us love Macross coz it not only had kewl mechas, but it also had a rather beautiful and excellent love-story, as well as overall great sci-fi story.

----

And Robotech just completely messed up their portrayal of Minmei. I firmly believe that's the reason why some or alot of people don't like (and even hate) Minmei because they'd seen Robotech first (or almost exclusively). Some are just now only recently appreciating Minmay coz of Animeigo and DYRL dvd availabilities.

--treatment--

Why he would ever want to date that worthless insipid GIT Minmay is beyond me.  She's an absolute moron in the series.

IMO, I don't think Minmay is portrayed as a moron in Macross, a little immature maybe, but not stupid. Of course if we are talking RT, then that's another story altogether ;)

Personally, I would have chosen Minmay. Misa is not at all physically attractive in the TV series.

Graham

It all depends on the episode.

An Anime Feind episode Misa looks horrible.

A Studio Nue episode however.

She is hot.

For a cartoon anyway lol.

:lol:

It was just a beautiful part of the Macross story (tv and dyrl) that sets it apart from other mecha and non-mecha anime. I think that's why most of us love Macross coz it not only had kewl mechas, but it also had a rather beautiful and excellent love-story, as well as overall great sci-fi story.

aw man, your making it sound like a chick flick,,,ya at least have to say he NAILED her ya know :)

If you ask me, he was pretty mature for a 19 year old...well...at least more than me when I was his age. ;)

we would be too if we fought and survived an intergalactic war at his age

And we all know why Hikaru cose Misa...:

...she was the one with the steady paycheck

edit woops... wrong place to type

Edited by Nightbat®

aw man, your making it sound like a chick flick,,,ya at least have to say he NAILED her ya know :)

hehehe. I did say he nailed minmay and misa.

I just didnt say say hikaru punked misa in the tv-episode. ^_^

Why he would ever want to date that worthless insipid GIT Minmay is beyond me.  She's an absolute moron in the series.

Graham

It all depends on the episode.

I think that is one huge discrepency that is cleaned up in DYRL... It was just too much of a strech to see Hikaru go after such a blah chick, so they made her much hotter.

i recently watched the last robotech episode and man minmay was so stupid. shouting and crying like the kid she is. Irritating. In DYRL she is much more mature but at the same time, in DYRL, Misa is less strong than in Robotech (havent seen the Macross tv series yet). She cries all the time. So why?? She just wants to give up all the time. The personalities are really different in the film.

So I think "Rick" made the good choice, but "Hikaru" was wrong!

Although I'd prefer Misa over Minmay

I do agree that in DYRL it was a pretty hard choice between her and Minmay

...in the series Minmay 's putting everything aside for her career, in DYRL she's risking everything for Hikaru

but in SDF-TV it was a lose/win situation, in DYRL it would've been Win/Win :D

I always thought of Minmay as being rather shallow and self-absorbed, sort of the typical teenage girl who becomes a pop star. She certainly isn't stupid, she just is usually with her head in the clouds.

What are you smoking? I always though of the two, I would have been more attracted to Misa if she were real. In the "good" episodes (Artland/Studio Nue), I always thought she looked better than Minmay.

There's Nothing like nailing a superior officer I say  :D

You know it just hit me. She outranks you, Danny.

I want to tell you something Danny and listen up 'cause I mean this: You're the luckiest man in the world. There is, believe me gentlemen, nothing sexier on earth than a woman you have to salute in the morning. Promote 'em all I say. If you haven't gotten a *radio edit* from a superior officer, you're just letting an opportunity pass you by.

Edited by Mechamaniac

I remember when I saw that episode of Robotech, I was like, "NO!  DON'T GO YOU JACK ASS!!!!!"  And I was surprised that Misa still wanted to go on the date afterwards, but he made the mistake of letting Misa use his scarf.  What a dumb ass. :rolleyes:

well he was a moron, there are ways to get out on top:

"It wasn't me"

Or

"Yes I [insert action here] her,... But I make love to you"

Courtesy of Eddie Murphy

Edited by Nightbat®