Official Yamato 1/60 Scale GBP

ff95gj

Any word on the VF-1D have smooth or knurled pins ?

Also since this hasn't happened to any of mine yet, if it cracks or breaks, is it impossible to have the arm stay on even if its loose ? Or is it just that it will come off if you handle it or transform it ?

So if it happens and i want to display it in battroid mode, will the arm still stay on if i don't touch it ?

Edited by thankheaven

My VF-1D does not have knurled pins.

It has smooth ones.

According to the G-man dated 4th May, and Max 1S wsa about 1-2 months after the 1D.

OK, got a reply back from Yamato regarding the running changes to the 1/60 V2 shoulders starting from the DYRL Max VF-1S type and the only thing that has been changed is that the knurling has been removed from the ends of the shoulder pins.

I was hoping as I'd discussed with Yamato and the Chinese factory owner a few months ago, that the pin diameter would be made smaller, thus allowing the plastic around the pin to be made thicker.

Hopefully, removal of the knurling will lessen pressure on the plastic and eliminate the cracking issue, but I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Honestly, I was hoping for more, but hopefully Yamato and the factory have done their homework and this change is all that is required.

Graham

Of course, it might be possible that some of the 1Ds in the later batch of production had received the knurl-free treatment ahead, in which case, I would congratulate you for having such a fixed copy. However, it might be also possible that the knurling is hidden from view, so maybe you might want to just take a closer look to ascertain.

Just checked my VT-1 better and it does have knurled pins, but no stress marks or damage yet.

I noticed that the pins do move along with the shoulders moving out so it doesn't look like it scratches the plastic.

The way i understand for those that have demaged shoulders is that the pins remain static while you move the shoulder/arm out so that it "eats" into the plastic everytime and eventually it breaks.

So if it moves along with the shoulder, this is better right ?

Just checked my VT-1 better and it does have knurled pins, but no stress marks or damage yet.

I noticed that the pins do move along with the shoulders moving out so it doesn't look like it scratches the plastic.

The way i understand for those that have demaged shoulders is that the pins remain static while you move the shoulder/arm out so that it "eats" into the plastic everytime and eventually it breaks.

I was confused when people was talking about swivel pin or static pin.

Since the knurled part is at the end and bites the shoulder's hinge, the pin should rotates in the same direction with shoulder when the shoulder is rotating so it appears "static" with the shoulder when shoulder swivel, and in fact it's rotating.

On the smooth pin, the pin shall not move and remain static when shoulder hinge rotates since it doesn't bite the plastic hinge on shoulder hinge, but it really depending on the variation of diameter on pin.

Please let me know if I get this all wrong?

post-611-1263584445_thumb.jpg

Not really when you consider that many with the knurled pins have broken straight out of the box prior to being transformed.

no, what's happening is the ridges are pressing into the plastic. by doing that it's putting excess stress on the part which is made from thin enough pieces of plastic that eventually it will crack/break.

Both my VT-1 and VF-1D turned out to have knurled pins. The VF-1D may not look like it from the outside but once you push the pin out it it does have a knurled side though alittle smaller. So i ended up with filing the knurled ends completely smooth and a little thinner so that i know for sure they won't scratch anything. This made the hinges alittle more loose but nothing that hurts posability or transformation and atleast now it works 100% without fear of breaking.

An easy fix, but it should not have been needed in the first place.

Edited by thankheaven

Both my VT-1 and VF-1D turned out to have knurled pins. The VF-1D may not look like it from the outside but once you push the pin out it it does have a knurled side though alittle smaller. So i ended up with filing the knurled ends completely smooth and a little thinner so that i know for sure they won't scratch anything. This made the hinges alittle more loose but nothing that hurts posability or transformation and atleast now it works 100% without fear of breaking.

An easy fix, but it should not have been needed in the first place.

What exactly are you guys using to file the pins down with, AND how are you going about it??? That is a VERY small part. I'm going to have to attempt this at some point in the near future.

What exactly are you guys using to file the pins down with, AND how are you going about it??? That is a VERY small part. I'm going to have to attempt this at some point in the near future.

I hold it with a small pliar and use a small file at a slight angle to smooth it out and make it alittle thinner. Then i turn the pin slightly and go at it again until its completely smooth all around.

I hold it with a small pliar and use a small file at a slight angle to smooth it out and make it alittle thinner. Then i turn the pin slightly and go at it again until its completely smooth all around.

i used to file it when i first did this preemptive mod for the pins, but i realized that after some time the filed part of the pin becomes prone to corrosion... so what i do now is just to flatten the knurled part w/ some jawless pliers since the metal is pretty soft. just flatten it enough until it doesn't turn w/ the outer part of the hinge anymore. ;)

on topic... still waiting to hear news about a regular release standalone GBP armor... :unsure:

i used to file it when i first did this preemptive mod for the pins, but i realized that after some time the filed part of the pin becomes prone to corrosion... so what i do now is just to flatten the knurled part w/ some jawless pliers since the metal is pretty soft. just flatten it enough until it doesn't turn w/ the outer part of the hinge anymore. ;)

on topic... still waiting to hear news about a regular release standalone GBP armor... :unsure:

How bad is the corrosion and did it happen fairly quick ?

I have already filed down the pins on two of my VF-1's that have knurled ones but i don't want anything to get damaged because the pins corrode.

Evolution?:

post-322-1263804466_thumb.jpg

There's probably no way to say that the original is FAR better than the Frontier version without sounding like an ol' fuddy-duddy right?

I would say to the new fans that the MF design is cluttered and amateur by comparison - and they would tell me the original is dated and totally 80's I suppose . . .

There's probably no way to say that the original is FAR better than the Frontier version without sounding like an ol' fuddy-duddy right?

I would say to the new fans that the MF design is cluttered and amateur by comparison - and they would tell me the original is dated and totally 80's I suppose . . .

I would say the problem is in the toy, but in the mech design.

The VF-25 armor has captured the armored essence pretty well IMHO.

I've always loved the GBP. It was one of my 1/55 holy grail.

But as far as being biased to 80's design, I've always hated the Stampede valk and I think that the Frontier version (which is highly stylized after the Stampede) is a lot more elegant. I don't think it has to do with old school preference but I think that the GBP, Thunderhammer and the Messiah armor are all designed pretty well. But Bandai 1/60 representation of the Messiah doesn't capture that at all.

The 1/60 version 2 GBP is the best of all GBPs though... hands down! Gotta love that they got it right. I was hoping that the 1/48 version would be the one.