Official Yamato 1/60 Scale GBP

ff95gj

I think the should have just left the knurling out. I would rather have a pin that might work itself out over time to a pin that breaks the hinge.

got my GBP tonight. nothing broken so far and i moved the shoulder really really really sssssllllloooowwwlllyyyy and ccccaaaarrrreeeeffffuullllyyyy

during transformation. shoulder feels very tight and i think it can snap if i were to turn it faster!

what's wrong with yamato man!

this is a great piece of GBP and i love it!

Just got mine.. everything is fine. Took no special care transforming the vf-1j, arms did not fall off, no cracks in the shoulder.

Impressed with the build overall and it's sooo much nicer than the 1/48 GBP set just in terms of how well things snap together and stay together and the posability.

I wish the vf-1j had more tampo though like what they were showing on the early publicity shots or at least as much as the CF vf-1j.

Also, like I thought, the chest armor will not fit the vf-1d body.

Edited by eugimon

got my GBP tonight. nothing broken so far and i moved the shoulder really really really sssssllllloooowwwlllyyyy and ccccaaaarrrreeeeffffuullllyyyy

during transformation. shoulder feels very tight and i think it can snap if i were to turn it faster!

what's wrong with yamato man!

this is a great piece of GBP and i love it!

I got mine too. I just loosen the shoulder screw and it's perfect now. ^_^

Eugimon,

It's up to you, but I would recommend doing preventive maintenance now. You might wake up one day to find that the shoulder has stress marks or has cracked. From what I've read, the pins are pretty easy to remove and sand down.

My fear is that my GBP will arrive with the shoulder already cracked, so I'll have no chance to fix the problem. :huh:

Sincerely,

Christopher B))

I only have 2 VF-1's. I stopped buying after seeing the cracks on my 1A.

As much as I like the new releases, I WILL NEVER BUY ANOTHER VF-1

as long as there are no significant changes done to that shoulder. HEAR

that yamato? NEVER!!! :angry::angry::angry:

They did fix the shoulder problems, now its just up to YOU to choose the right figure that doesn't have a problem.

Eugimon,

It's up to you, but I would recommend doing preventive maintenance now. You might wake up one day to find that the shoulder has stress marks or has cracked. From what I've read, the pins are pretty easy to remove and sand down.

My fear is that my GBP will arrive with the shoulder already cracked, so I'll have no chance to fix the problem. :huh:

Sincerely,

Christopher B))

Honestly, I'm not worried. I'm not convinced that the knurling alone will cause the hinge to crack. I think a lot has to do with how it was put together. And even if it does fail, it's not a big deal for me to make another little metal insert to replace the damaged plastic joint.

I got mine in the mail today, and it's a shame that the first thing I have to check out is the VF-1J itself instead of the armors. Well guess what, the shoulder hinge are intact and it's knurled pins I guess because it doen't rotate when I swivel the shoulder hinge:

DSC01645.jpg

DSC01646.jpg

DSC01647.jpg

Pros:

Now the extra side covers and neck cover are some really nice add on that cover up the majority hollow spots of the valkyrie, and I demand Yamato should include these covers in future release OR sold as option parts to service existing customer who already have previous release. The way how the side covers work is there are bump on one tip that click into the metal hinge on chest plate that connect the T swing bar in fighter mode. The side covers cover up nicely and stay in place firmly. The neck cover works its magic as well to cover up the hollow spot behind the head and it simply click on firmly.

The gray visor is a nice touch and eventually I might paint my previous VF-1J as well with gray visor.

DSC01674.jpg

DSC01675.jpg

DSC01671.jpg

The armors are basically well designed and snapped together fairly easily and locked in place without filmsy parts. There are lots of details at the inner parts of the armors as always:

DSC01649.jpg

DSC01650.jpg

DSC01654.jpg

DSC01656.jpg

DSC01658.jpg

DSC01662.jpg

DSC01665.jpg

DSC01666.jpg

DSC01667.jpg

DSC01677.jpg

Edited by Vi-RS

Cons:

Now here are the drawback, I realize that there are several discoloration on my VF-1J. The hands is much more yellowish than the rest of the valkyrie, the intake area on one thigh has slightly discoloration. The entire valkyrie has more yellowish tint effect compare with my previous VF-1J. However, the VF-1J head is as white as the white plastic on the armors.

So I guess I can assume that the valkyrie is from previous left over stock while the head is newly built, that explains the discoloration. The visor is a separate piece which has been prepainted before they put it together with the head. There is no sign that there are gray paint bleeding on the head, with the color discoloration I strongly believe that the head itself is newly built.

My pictures may not show the discoloration but it does look very obvious with naked eyes.

DSC01676.jpg

DSC01672.jpg

DSC01673.jpg

Finally, why even bother to put the optional missiles effects in the manual as gimmick when you don't get it?

DSC01685.jpg

DSC01686.jpg

Why the detail CAD drawing of the toy shows DYRL hands while we get tv bubble hands at the end?

DSC01687.jpg

DSC01688.jpg

Edited by Vi-RS

I took a closer look and yes, there's a noticeable difference between the head, body and GBP hands

It's very obvious if you look at it under day light.

I think the hands is made from different materials so I can understand the difference.

I wish the whole line is made from light gray like the dyrl but I don't know why Yamato decided to go for pure white for tv schemes, another bummer.

I took a closer look and yes, there's a noticeable difference between the head, body and GBP hands

so wait, not only are do these have the breakage prone shoulders, they're also old enough to have noticable yellowing...

wow

glad I cancelled my order. more money for a not-crappy VF-11 :lol:

Edited by anime52k8

So I guess I can assume that the valkyrie is from previous left over stock while the head is newly built, that explains the discoloration. The visor is a separate piece which has been prepainted before they put it together with the head. There is no sign that there are gray paint bleeding on the head, with the color discoloration I strongly believe that the head itself is newly built.

very keen observation/s... i guess they figured a new head constituted a new valk and that people would just snap on the GBP armor on the 1J and wouldn't notice the discoloration. :mellow:

i wonder where they stored these overstocks for the past year since you said that the 1J w/ the GBP has more yellowing happening to it than the one you previously bought... :huh:

EDIT - looking on the bright side... it'll eventually even out, since the whiter parts are now the only ones exposed... ;)

Edited by m0n5t3r

so wait, not only are do these have the breakage prone shoulders, they're also old enough to have noticable yellowing...

wow

glad I cancelled my order. more money for a not-crappy VF-11 :lol:

It's worse than that because not all the parts yellow at the same rate... so the little elbow hinge parts yellow faster than the biceps, etc. It's all very amusing. <_<

It's worse than that because not all the parts yellow at the same rate... so the little elbow hinge parts yellow faster than the biceps, etc. It's all very amusing. <_<

Agreed, the vf-1j I got have slightly yellowish color on lower arm, hands and half valve of the intake. Then the overall valkyrie is much milky color while the head is pure white.

emm guys it doesn't seem that bad right ?

this thread is more like a complaint thread nowadays instead of discussing about 1/60 GBP.

The valkyrie is not that bad, but I do have anal eyes so the discoloration may not bother most people. It's still a nice toy and the armors is spectacular. However, the armors will be much better if they use BLACK COLOR SCREWS.

It doesn't bother me. I think the armor is great. I'm just bummed they recycled old stock.

It happens in automobile industry as well when you buy new model from the first bacth of the year.... and it gets better when it comes to facelift models at the end of years when most bugs were taken off.... lol

Edited by Vi-RS

I got mine in the mail today, and it's a shame that the first thing I have to check out is the VF-1J itself instead of the armors. Well guess what, the shoulder hinge are intact and it's knurled pins I guess because it doen't rotate when I swivel the shoulder hinge:

What I know is that smooth pins are the ones that don't rotate, I checked those with my VF-1S Max and they don't rotate.

Thanks for posting the pictures, very nice! ^_^

Eugimon,

Sounds like a good plan. Would you please post some pictures of your "little metal insert" or a link to the thread if it already exists? I'm interested to see your remedy.

ChristopherB B))

Thanks for posting the pictures, very nice! ^_^

Eugimon,

Sounds like a good plan. Would you please post some pictures of your "little metal insert" or a link to the thread if it already exists? I'm interested to see your remedy.

ChristopherB B))

_DSC6101copy.jpg

basically I cut out a small piece of metal from .008 in tin. I cut the wall (arrow) and bent a little hook to hold the metal insert in place and glued it all in with crazy glue. The I used a small nail to punch a hole, ta-da, now there's a metal reinforced hinge.

you have to file down the other side of the hinge to make sure it will all fold down properly for fighter mode.

Just got this armored 1/60 GBP today and modified it. ^_^:):lol:

How about an Armored Strike VF-1D with twin gunpods for the hell of it? Unit VF-00 with a little weathering of course. (hehe...)

You should make a dedicated thread... that's too sweet to be stuck in this thread with all the observations on the stock stuff.

Edited by jenius

eugimon, does your vf-1j has slightly overall yellowing appearance while the head is pristinely white like the armor? Mine does. bummer.

just my 2 cents worth, I noted the discolorations in my earlier post as well. And I have a similar whiter head than the rest of the 1J

Just got this armored 1/60 GBP today and modified it. ^_^:):lol:

How about an Armored Strike VF-1D with twin gunpods for the hell of it? Unit VF-00 with a little weathering of course. (hehe...)

so what did you do to get the chest armor to work with the 1d chest plate?

Eugimon,

Wow, I like the repair you made. Excellent idea! ^_^ You could make some money offering repair kits, especially since the left/right shoulders are the same.

Ron5864,

Cool custom. The symmetry is great and the weathering makes it look more realistic. B))