Macross Ultimate Frontier for the Sony PSP.

UN Spacy

For the guy asking how to get the game from the PSN store:

I took a look at the PSP game section in the Japanese store and there is no available copy of Ultimate Frontier. You're out of luck.

Sorry, man.

Still, getting a normal PSP should be relatively easy, I think.

I'd keep the Go, since it could be useful. That enormous storage capacity (for a handheld) is pretty good.

Keep something in mind, though: Sony said (said, get it?) that they will upload the games to the PSN, so it SHOULD be a matter of time until they do so. Still, for buying games on the japanese PSN store, you need to LIVE in Japan and pay with a Japanese credit card OR buy a JAPANESE PSN prepaid card online. If my memory serves me right, National Console Support has or had some. You could also look somewhere else, I don't think they're that hard to obtain...

That said, I haven't done it myself! So I can't help you more than this.

I occasionally take a look at what the Japanese PSN has, so if I see MUF, I can post it here.

I don't think you necessarily have to LIVE in Japan to buy things off the Japanese PS Store. It should be enough to have a PSN account set to Japan with a Japanese address, even if you live in the US or Hong Kong (you may have to create a new one if you're already using one from another country). You can get around credit card issues by using Japanese PSN cards but you'll need to buy them from somewhere.

You'll also have to either have a PS3 with a secondary Japanese PSN account (easiest way), or register your PSP Go "only" for a Japanese PSN account (not too tricky). Unlike the PS3, the PSP (currently at least) can only have one active profile, so if it's set to the U.S. or other, you won't be able to get to the Japanese PSN store without deleting that U.S. profile. Also, anything you download is registered to a specific profile, so by no means should you be careless with that information, make the password something easy to remember, and the log in an E-Mail address you intend on keeping for a while. And worse yet, if you plan on downloading anything from the U.S. playstation store, DLC is region coded. So you will have to delete & re-enter your profile each time you want to switch betwen the two countries PSN accounts. Bottom line, you can't play Japanese DLC unless your PSP is currently registered to the Japanese PSN, and vice versa with U.S./E.U. stuff.

Like I said, this is all much easier to do with a PS3, since you can just attach via USB, log in to which ever countries PSN, and register/unregister quite quickly.

Back to the game though, just about done unlocking stuff, mostly just the odds & ends in the Nyan Nyan shop, and levelling up stuff to get it ready for Chronicle mode (thank you for letting us use current tune points for these levels!). Also need to go through with the little EX versions of the regular era stages, but damn this game is cool. On the Gundam Battle scale, I'd say if Ace Frontier was at a Battle Royale state of polish, then Ultimate is at a Universe level of polish. Better yet, this engine finally screams Macross. If any given MS from the GB series were to step foot into this game, even the Hi-Nu would get owned like a Zentradi soldier. I think the goal this time around was literally how to mix all the dynamic missile fun of VFX-2 with a modenr version of the GBU engine, and a resounding success it was.

Hell, they fullfilled by biggest wish for this game with an awesome rendition of FP-KK, and teased at what might be in the next game by showing off Sivil & Giant Ranka. The only thing that I felt should have been here but wasn't was the VF-11D Kai,, which I fully expect to see along with the Jamming Birds, Docker, Physica & Kinyru, Liza, Support Character Mao, Kim, Shammy, Vanessa, Sally, Miho, & the Frontier girls, Pixie team, Fairy team, Emilia, Chlore, Negative effect support character Exedore TV (singing so bad that it lowers your sides moral), Giant tentacle Exedor (acting something like DYRL Bodolza), Gilliam, Ages (and the rest of the VFX-2 Gang), Battle 13, Valgo, PD Gigil, Zomd & Goram, Hibiki, Dennis, Silvie, Feff, generic Zentradi soldier, playable MII Battle Pod, MiI Destroids, MII Macross Gunship, Nexx, a full VFX2 campaign, a full Macross II campaign. Frontier Moive campaign, a more detailed custom song selection option (i.e. make it easier to customize songs for Sound Force styled attacks), some other random odds & ends that I can't think of right now, and we will truly have the perfect Macross game.

Don't get me wrong, I'm incredibly happy with what's there now. But just enough tease was left for the next game to leave me wanting it already :).

So is the Armored VF-11C in the game or not?

Graham

There is an armor for a VF-11... But I don't remember which Thunderbolt it is... Never liked it...

Edit: I took a look. The available VF-11s are the B and C. The armor pack is for either of them.

Hey. I have an idea. What do you think of making a replay collection? We could save replays of missions that have been difficult or different approaches to a certain type of mission for others to see. It could be an extra fun. What do you think?

Also, I finally unlocked Klan with her fast pack. She's basically a new skin for a Queadluun, only with two weird "attacks", her gunpod, missiles and melee combat that I will leave for you to see and low stats. Graphic wise, the model is more or less done. Her face could have used a few more polygons.

Fortunately, since I just took off the stat limiter, I can develop hers and make her a good contender in a decent fight. Woo!

Edited by CrazyMartian

Ill try to scan the illustarations when I get my scanner cleaned up a bit. Also a tip for the shop, Sheryl appears most often after you earn a SS and items in the shop are cheaper with her than Ranka. So afr I have beat Zero, Frontier, Dynamite 7 and Macross working on DYRL now. Game is tough at times but easier than the first, I have mostly all ss ranks and about 4 s ranks.

EDIT

Here you go let me know if you need bigger resolutions, note I dont have a account so these can only be downloaded 10 times let me know if the link dies and you want them.

http://rapidshare.com/files/288360368/photo0001.jpg.html

http://rapidshare.com/files/288361048/photo0002.jpg.html

http://rapidshare.com/files/288361721/photo0003.jpg.html

Hi, I noticed the links very late and they're very, very dead. How can I download them?

For you guys that ordered from Play-Asia, about how long did it take from the time they emailed that they shipped it until you got it? I got my email Friday 10-2, and I was really thinking that it should have been here by now.

I got my ship notice on 9/30 from play-asia, but its still not here yet (using regular air mail). located in california.

I guess if you didn't get yours, I shouldn't be too worried yet. Mine shipped two days later, and I'm on the other coast.

On an unrelated note, I updated the spoiler-ish list of units on the previous page. Just two to go until the list is complete, and I'm reasonably sure what they are.

From braddock76 of Gamespot forums:

"Can now confirm 2 working passwords to unlock addition Extra missions.

SPATA and TUSRJ

For those not sure how to enter the passwords, select the 3rd Option from the top of the menu when you press the Start button. That opens settings where you can scroll across to the Auto save/ password input."

I have tried it myself. It works.

This game is orgasmic. Tons of great surprises and far more accurate to the storylines than the original. Being able to play SDFM in it's entirety is great. Anyone else having a blast flying in the rings of saturn? Also the grapple for certain valks have been adjusted. Let's say when i trained with the VF-25 seeing the knife being pulled gave me wood lol. I love this game!!!

Back to the game though, just about done unlocking stuff, mostly just the odds & ends in the Nyan Nyan shop, and levelling up stuff to get it ready for Chronicle mode (thank you for letting us use current tune points for these levels!).

How do you carry them over? I'v got alot of tune points from MAF I'd like to carry over. Also how do I buy the limiter from the nyan nayan shop, so I can max out my stats?

How do you carry them over? I'v got alot of tune points from MAF I'd like to carry over. Also how do I buy the limiter from the nyan nayan shop, so I can max out my stats?

Tune points don't seem to carry over.

To unlock the limiter, you need a good level of shopping. Buy modes, characters and machines. Just don't bother with titles and illustrations. You'll get them anyway.

No, they don't carry over from MAF, but in MAF, you were limited to base stats for all the EX missions. In MUF, you can use your levelled up mecha in the retitled "Chronicle" missions.

Got MUF in the mail today but haven't had time to start playing yet. I was trying to figure out a work around to record the extra video play through remote joy for people that didn't get it. So for I have failed but I did manage to rip it and get it to play with the UMD not in the unit. I think there's some kind of memory problem with streaming movies via remote joy? The audio works fine just not the video for some reason.

Anyway someone mentioned saving replays to share. You can one up that by using remote joy and posting them on youtube or something. Maybe even give pointers for S and SSing.

I hope the VF-25 is actually better in MUF. They were actually pretty mediocre in MAF compared with a lot of the older Valks.

Graham

Yes, especially the with the Armored packs. The only older valks that are on par with it are the YF-21 and the VF-22S (and even then, really just the Max and Millia versions). Due mostly to lame special attacks and no FAST packs, the VF-27 doesn't even hang with the VF-25.

I'm down to just needing FAST pack Klan Klan. Anyone know for sure how to unlock her? The only Frontier mission I don't have an S or SS on is Aimo (or Mother's Lullaby, if you prefer the katakana).

I hope the VF-25 is actually better in MUF. They were actually pretty mediocre in MAF compared with a lot of the older Valks.

Graham

For one thing, the 2 different type of gunpod attacks have been done away with. This time, all Valkyries (save the VF-17's & VF-171's) can have their gunpods unloaded without a care (no more tap tap tap for heavier gunpods).

But yes, the VF-25's are full of at least 10 kinds of awesome.

-Fast Packs

-Armored Packs

-Super Death kill Armored packs with reaction weapons & Michials rifle

-Sound Boosters

But damn those armored packs are just as awesome as you'd expect them to be, if not more so. And yes, the VF-171 EX(s) now have the proper canopy.

Edited by Keith

got mine in the mail yesterday, im loving it, but can anyone translate whats in the store, or tell me what im suppose to buy, i wasted points on clicking on the type 14 thinking i had to buy it, and later found out they just were tune points. and what the deal with support characters? they were not in MAF what do they do? i am digging the LE artwork but sad that i cant play the UMD.

Couple of things:

The unit list on the previous page is complete, as I finally unlocked the last one.

I've got S or SS ranks on most of the missions now (excluding Chronicle... I gotta beef up some units first). Tips for the last few would be appreciated! They are:

SDF Macross Campaign: Let's Play Game (Battroid Attack), A Sad Doll (Satan Doll)

Macross Frontier: Aimo (Mother's Lullaby)

Extra: Ishtar, The Super Dimension Fortress Famitsu

Enemy: Aimo (Koi no Uta)

To elaborate on Graham's question and what Keith and I were saying, none of the units have an overwhelmingly effective-against-everything special like the YF-21 did in MAF. This means that beating a lot of bosses and star units really comes down to spamming Missile RS or whatever special you do have. Units with melee specials are great against star units, but useless against big bosses, so that drops them down a notch. Units with Missile RS tend to be slightly more useful than units with Missle MS or Missile C, and units that have both Missile RS and either Missile MS or Missile C tend to be even better. Units with some kind of FAST packs tend to be the most useful because of elevated stats and an extra layer of health.

The VF-0, SV-51, VF-1, VF-11, and VF-2SS don't have the base stats to really hang with the VF-25, even though they have FAST packs. The YF-19, VF-19A, YF-21, and VF-22 are close, but only three particular units offer any real incentive to go with them over a VF-25: The VF-22S(MFJ), the VF-22S(MJ), and the YF-21, because they have Pin-Point Barriers (the VF-22S(GK) and VF-22S(WG) don't). The YF-21 and VF-22(MJ) lack multi-lock missiles, and the VF-22S(MFJ) lacks Missile RS, but their FAST packs make up for it (and the fact that the YF-21 and VF-22S(MJ)'s specials are useless against big bosses), plus they still allow fighter mode to be use in atmosphere. Especially after you unlock the stat de-limiter and max the PPB's stats, careful use of it can get you through a lot of levels with zero actual damage.

To answer Murphy's question, it's hard to say for sure, because new stuff keeps appearing based on your shop level (so buying tune points for the Type-14 wasn't a total waste, because it'll contribute to your shop level). Here's what I can tell you, though. From top to bottom the shop categories are:

Character: you can buy more pilots and support characters here.

Unit: Unlock units and FAST packs, or buy tune points for unlocked units.

Mode: buy game modes and modifiers

BGM: unlock more music

Movie: unlocks the prologue and closing movies for the different eras. Don't waste your money.

Wallpaper: Not 100% sure, but I think you can buy more loading screens.

Title: When you play online, you can buy titles for your player card.

Icon: When you play online, you can buy portraits for your player card.

Since I was focusing on the characters you make at the beginning, I'd say just worry about Unit and Mode. Unit's pretty easy to follow. If it's grey, you can't buy it because you already unlocked it. If it's blue, you're buying tune points for a unit you have. If it's black, you're actually unlocking the unit. I think you should be able to unlock most units through regular play, but it can be useful to buy a better one sooner.

As for Mode, that's a little trickier, unless you can at least read katakana. I'll try to highlight a few anyway. Depending on your shop level, you may see one or two options where the third character is a dash. The first and cheaper option will let you tune a unit below it's base stats. The second and more expensive will remove the tune point limit for all units.

One option, beginning with the good ol' Latin letters EX will allow for EX mode. Basically, after you buy it, you'll see a picture of a unit for every mission description. Use that unit for triple tune points.

Lastly (and this is for everyone who can't read Japanese), learn this character. It's usually read as "ji" or "toki", and it means time. One of the more expensive mode options starts with this character. Buying this option will allow you to use units from any era on any mission (for example, the VF-25G in Macross Zero missions, or the YF-21 on Frontier missions).

Couple of things:

The unit list on the previous page is complete, as I finally unlocked the last one.

I've got S or SS ranks on most of the missions now (excluding Chronicle... I gotta beef up some units first). Tips for the last few would be appreciated! They are:

SDF Macross Campaign: Let's Play Game (Battroid Attack), A Sad Doll (Satan Doll)

Macross Frontier: Aimo (Mother's Lullaby)

Extra: Ishtar, The Super Dimension Fortress Famitsu

Enemy: Aimo (Koi no Uta)

To elaborate on Graham's question and what Keith and I were saying, none of the units have an overwhelmingly effective-against-everything special like the YF-21 did in MAF. This means that beating a lot of bosses and star units really comes down to spamming Missile RS or whatever special you do have. Units with melee specials are great against star units, but useless against big bosses, so that drops them down a notch. Units with Missile RS tend to be slightly more useful than units with Missle MS or Missile C, and units that have both Missile RS and either Missile MS or Missile C tend to be even better. Units with some kind of FAST packs tend to be the most useful because of elevated stats and an extra layer of health.

The VF-0, SV-51, VF-1, VF-11, and VF-2SS don't have the base stats to really hang with the VF-25, even though they have FAST packs. The YF-19, VF-19A, YF-21, and VF-22 are close, but only three particular units offer any real incentive to go with them over a VF-25: The VF-22S(MFJ), the VF-22S(MJ), and the YF-21, because they have Pin-Point Barriers (the VF-22S(GK) and VF-22S(WG) don't). The YF-21 and VF-22(MJ) lack multi-lock missiles, and the VF-22S(MFJ) lacks Missile RS, but their FAST packs make up for it (and the fact that the YF-21 and VF-22S(MJ)'s specials are useless against big bosses), plus they still allow fighter mode to be use in atmosphere. Especially after you unlock the stat de-limiter and max the PPB's stats, careful use of it can get you through a lot of levels with zero actual damage.

To answer Murphy's question, it's hard to say for sure, because new stuff keeps appearing based on your shop level (so buying tune points for the Type-14 wasn't a total waste, because it'll contribute to your shop level). Here's what I can tell you, though. From top to bottom the shop categories are:

Character: you can buy more pilots and support characters here.

Unit: Unlock units and FAST packs, or buy tune points for unlocked units.

Mode: buy game modes and modifiers

BGM: unlock more music

Movie: unlocks the prologue and closing movies for the different eras. Don't waste your money.

Wallpaper: Not 100% sure, but I think you can buy more loading screens.

Title: When you play online, you can buy titles for your player card.

Icon: When you play online, you can buy portraits for your player card.

Since I was focusing on the characters you make at the beginning, I'd say just worry about Unit and Mode. Unit's pretty easy to follow. If it's grey, you can't buy it because you already unlocked it. If it's blue, you're buying tune points for a unit you have. If it's black, you're actually unlocking the unit. I think you should be able to unlock most units through regular play, but it can be useful to buy a better one sooner.

As for Mode, that's a little trickier, unless you can at least read katakana. I'll try to highlight a few anyway. Depending on your shop level, you may see one or two options where the third character is a dash. The first and cheaper option will let you tune a unit below it's base stats. The second and more expensive will remove the tune point limit for all units.

One option, beginning with the good ol' Latin letters EX will allow for EX mode. Basically, after you buy it, you'll see a picture of a unit for every mission description. Use that unit for triple tune points.

Lastly (and this is for everyone who can't read Japanese), learn this character. It's usually read as "ji" or "toki", and it means time. One of the more expensive mode options starts with this character. Buying this option will allow you to use units from any era on any mission (for example, the VF-25G in Macross Zero missions, or the YF-21 on Frontier missions).

wait wait, you can play online!?? please teach me how, i never knew.

Thankfully, I ordered MUF from a company that's only a state away from me. I ordered it on a Wed. afternoon and had it by the time I got home from work on that Friday evening.

I'm so jealous of all of you guys that are getting S and SS ranks. The other night, I was actually happy with a D rank for one of the missions! I envoy those that are good at action-oriented video games.

Haha, some nice little details I noticed...

When you get 5 hearts towards Minmei, she sings "My Boyfriend is a Pilot" when the mission ends sometimes.

The voice "weapon" on the VT-1 is awesome, too.

Still though, the game had me hooked when I realized that yes, I beat Bodolzaa, but it sent me to the Aftermath missions.

Took me almost the full time to beat Milia in Pineapple Salad.

Also,

why is Hikaru the one taking Minmei out on a date, when I was the one that saved her?

Edited by D.D. Ivanov

Im getting a bit annoyed with something, and I cant read what it is thats stopping me, but hopefully someone knows.

I just chose to play mac 7 levels, after completling most series before it, and when i try to select either of the first missions, which have exclamation marks beside them it comes up "Attention" with some writing underneath and wont let me start the mission. It then boots me back to the mission select screen.

Its happening on some previous missions as well, and i have no idea why its stopping me?

I chose to play Frontier and its letting me play those fine though.

Any help or ideas are appreciated!

Sam.