Macross Ultimate Frontier for the Sony PSP.

UN Spacy

I fail at waiting! I just ordered the LE version this afternoon! Hopefully, I'll see it around Monday or so.

There's no major differences that I know of between the US and Japanese PSPs, at least for the older version. The slim version may have more, but nothing major.

You'll still be able to play US games on the Japanese machine, you just won't be able to play non-Japanese video UMDs.

The one difference that's immediately noticeable is that the X and O buttons are reversed for the PSP's menu and Japanese games. American games will still use the X and O buttons as normal.

I'm struggling to wait until pay day here, guys. I blew my money on the PSP to play the game, and have nothing left for the game!

I'm thinking about selling my iPod touch. It's a cool little device, but for games I'd rather go with my PSP or DS, and for a media player my phone works just as well.

Wha? No-one's posted in 8 hours?? I guess you're all busy playing the game!

Well, guess what, I came back home tonight to find a package with the LE on my table.

I can confirm you need FIRMWARE 5.55 to play this game. So I'm not allowed to touch this thing.

However, I've seen a bit of the material on the UMD-Video and although the OP and ED collection is kind of pointless, the Kawamori interviews are good and insightful, especially when he's talking with Miyatake about the old days. Also, we see the full transformation of the Lego VF-25. In many ways, it's better than the DX Chogokin.

Anyway, the only other thing I had time to watch was the Fire Bomber "comment" which is basically just Fukuyama (with Chie Kajiura beside him) incredibly obviously reading off cue cards saying "Yeah, PSP Macross Ultimate... Er.. Frontier!! Er... Burning Fire! Anyway, come watch our show later this year. Screw this, I'm outta here." :p

There's supposed to be two hours worth of stuff on this disc, but I suspect a large part of that is the OPs and stuff. What's intriguing is the "over 15" rating this has been awarded -- for sexual content, no less, judging by the symbol on the back of the package. If Klan or Alto have anything to do with this, I swear I'm going to destroy the UMD, 'cause ain't that sheet be havin' no place in my house. Ishtar, I can forgive. B))

Wha? No-one's posted in 8 hours?? I guess you're all busy playing the game!

Well, guess what, I came back home tonight to find a package with the LE on my table.

I can confirm you need FIRMWARE 5.55 to play this game. So I'm not allowed to touch this thing.

However, I've seen a bit of the material on the UMD-Video and although the OP and ED collection is kind of pointless, the Kawamori interviews are good and insightful, especially when he's talking with Miyatake about the old days. Also, we see the full transformation of the Lego VF-25. In many ways, it's better than the DX Chogokin.

Anyway, the only other thing I had time to watch was the Fire Bomber "comment" which is basically just Fukuyama (with Chie Kajiura beside him) incredibly obviously reading off cue cards saying "Yeah, PSP Macross Ultimate... Er.. Frontier!! Er... Burning Fire! Anyway, come watch our show later this year. Screw this, I'm outta here." :p

There's supposed to be two hours worth of stuff on this disc, but I suspect a large part of that is the OPs and stuff. What's intriguing is the "over 15" rating this has been awarded -- for sexual content, no less, judging by the symbol on the back of the package. If Klan or Alto have anything to do with this, I swear I'm going to destroy the UMD, 'cause ain't that sheet be havin' no place in my house. Ishtar, I can forgive. B))

Are you using CFW? if so there is a method to play the game, my friend is playing this game right now but i can´t say more, just use google.

Can you tell me where did you see the material of the UMD video? or did you see it directly form the UMD?

Thanks in advance.

Are you using CFW? if so there is a method to play the game, my friend is playing this game right now but i can´t say more, just use google.

Can you tell me where did you see the material of the UMD video? or did you see it directly form the UMD?

Thanks in advance.

Ummm... Mind sending a link or how-to via PM? I'm still waiting for my copy to arrive, and I don't want to abandon the CF in order to play this game. My PSP is necessary as a calculator with function plotting for me. The need for the CF is for more than just playing.

And your health. Sorry about what happened, but at least you're OK.

Oh. Thanks. That's true. I guess I'll have to wait some time to grab another PS3...

And I was just waiting for Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2 to come out. I was passing by the store I was

hoping to buy it at while walking home. There it is, but eh...

But as you said, yep. Still in one piece. :)

Unlike Ace Frontier, units with FAST or Armored packs aren't separate units anymore. Now they're optional equipment. So if you spend a lot of time building up, say, a VF-0J, you're not starting over on tuning when you unlock the Ghost-pack.

AFOS is really hard, by the way.

Unlike Ace Frontier, units with FAST or Armored packs aren't separate units anymore. Now they're optional equipment. So if you spend a lot of time building up, say, a VF-0J, you're not starting over on tuning when you unlock the Ghost-pack.

AFOS is really hard, by the way.

That's awesome! The more I hear about this game, the more I can't wait to get it!

Cool, I just checked my e-mail to find a message from UPS saying that the game is coming tomorrow! :)

Edited by Beltane70

Anybody know if some of the mistakes with the VF models in MAF have been corrected in MUF? Specifically, mistakes I spotted in MAF were: -

1) VF-25 fighter mode, hands incorrectly visible from the rear. They should not be visible, as they are tucked into the shield.

2) VF-171EX had the canopy from the VF-171, which is incorrect. Canopy should be different.

3) VF-11C with Super Packs, tail fins in up poistion, instead of down.

Graham

Also: the top of the intakes and the placement of the tailfins on the VF-19kai appear to be identical to that of the YF-19, when in fact they should be different. In fact, apart from the head and shoulders, the models for both 19's seem identical, which they should not be. From the screenshots I saw in magazines, this hasn't been fixed in Ultimate Frontier.

Anybody know if some of the mistakes with the VF models in MAF have been corrected in MUF? Specifically, mistakes I spotted in MAF were: -

1) VF-25 fighter mode, hands incorrectly visible from the rear. They should not be visible, as they are tucked into the shield.

2) VF-171EX had the canopy from the VF-171, which is incorrect. Canopy should be different.

3) VF-11C with Super Packs, tail fins in up poistion, instead of down.

Graham

Sorry, Graham. I just finished Macross Zero and I'm working my way through SDF Macross. I'll keep an eye out when I get that far.

-Custom music/soundtrack from MP3's, myth or reality?

-Do character/mecha tune points/stats carry over?

-How well do "real" controls work for battroid & gerwalk??

-Does any of the Macross era stuff seem like retread from the first game?

Can't even think right now I have so many questions. I was glad to see FP-KK in one of the still pictures during that playthrough linked above. That gives me high hopes she'll be unlockable.

Edited by Keith

Can't even think right now I have so many questions. I was glad to see FP-KK in one of the still pictures during that playthrough linked above. That gives me high hopes she'll be unlockable.

Okay, in the light that I'm not about to abandon the Custom Firmware and that my copy was mailed to me yesterday from NCSX, I decided to indulge in the ISO, as most likely I won't be able to play the actual UMD with my 5.50 version of the firmware.

For those who want the experience of discovering the feel of the game, stop reading as I will comment on mechanics and observations regarding the game.

Custom Soundtrack is real. Still, I don't know yet how to activate the music I stuck it in the memory stick. Upon running the game for the first time, the game creates a folder called MUF and other subfolders inside (I didn't count) for you to put music in them.

Tune Points, I dunno. I'm stuck using the VF-0D which was not present in the last game. Perhaps someone who is playing a more advanced game can tell?

Real controls are actually very nice for me. Fighter plays very similar to the VF-X2 game, only this time the camera sticks to the rear part of the VF. Battroid and Gerwalk don't differ from the normal control.

I dunno yet about other portions of the story since I picked Zero. I'll comment more later. I don't plan on sleeping...

Little edit: The AI seems better as enemies don't just move like ducks and shoot at you. Focker was especially annoying in a "training session" Remember? When Shin got all painted up.

Misa is available from the start

Tried the Nyan Nyan Shop... Ranka and Sheryl appear one at a time. Ranka's "Kira!" is starting to grate on my friggin' nerves.

The AI is certainly ferocious. I got killed by a small squad of Octos...

Something I didn't mention before is that this time around, the custom colors for you and your partner are separate. My character has a dark blue VF-0A and my partner has a dark purple of the same machine. You can also cycle between your three characters of which I got Señor Luis Fernando, Miyuki and Yui, the green haired girl who is more than happy most of the time... I like her. She's fun to use. I'd like to know who her VA is.

The stages are bigger this time around. Or it might be that the VF-0 (D and A so far) are slow as hell so it takes forever to go up and down. Still, they don't suck as much as the VF-0S from the last game. They feel like an introductory machine, which is nice.

The exhaust on the back of the Valkyrie has a nice "heat effect".

I started another file with Macross Frontier to try the VFs of that era. It seems that tune points don't carry over... Note the "seems" please.

The dialogue in the missions has more character interaction this time around to reflect the story. We even get Ranka getting scared to death.

I have to add that the first mission is sort of similar to the first Frontier mission in MAF. Still, this time it continues onto the city.

Regarding the custom soundtrack, I dunno if it's random or what, but the music that played as I chose characters was one of the ones I stuck in the memory stick. Maybe, just maybe putting a song in X folder takes over X song in the game? (This is speculation on my part.)

I.HATE.PINON!!! Everything about her is annoying. But hey, I'm just a loli hater. I can't stand them. You may react otherwise.

The antimissile function with the 100 is a sort of timer. You activate it and keep the gunpod button pressed and the timer will go down. Once you release the button, it will go back to its initial state. This is only in Battroid and Gerwalk. If you are in Fighter mode, you use chaff instead, which is nice, as it keeps one from wasting time transforming to shoot down the missiles.

Once you finish a mission, you can check how your progress in the trust/love aspect develops by pressing right on the pad.

Finally got the VF-25... and in the first mission it appears ready for use, the Macross Quarter shows up too piloted by none other than Jeffry "Assgrab" Wilder! YEAH!

Okay, I went to the Nyan Nyan Shop (The next time I hear "Kira!", I'll pop a blood vessel...) and bought the music selection mode. The list is incomplete since you have to buy the music at said shop. Still, when selecting "My Boyfriend is a Pilot" and testing the song, I got "Northern Cross", which is the one I stuck at the folder (you can preview too, so you know which song you're getting). The custom soundtrack works by putting the songs in the folders in the MUF folder in MUSIC. Then the songs replace the in-game songs, so if you want a certain songs, you have to choose which to leave and which to replace. The folders are numbered and the song list inside the game is too, so there is less confusion.

I hadn't noticed. Your selected character doesn't have his/her own skills. This time you choose a support character which in my case can be Miyuki, Yui, Hilda, Klan or Sheryl. It's not bringing a singer like it seemed to me. It's bringing a copilot with you. That character has certain skills which just seem to be the same for all, only unlocked in different orders for each.

Still, Sheryl comes with an already unlocked command skill which is HER (even with an icon that seems taken straight from the 16 bit era, heheh). Maybe Ranka comes with a "Ranka" skill, Ishtar with an "Ishtar" skill and so on... More will be learnt as we play along.

Geh... That's it from me. I'm sleepy and my reaction time is down on the ground. I keep getting pummeled.

Oh. You don't get a set player character you PLAY AS. Instead, you get three characters and can choose whichever. They all have their own relationships with the other characters.

The graphics seem way better. The textures slightly embellished and there are some new, nice effects like the glare of the sun, etc.

Oh, just a small addition: The Super Pack equipment acts as an armor. I took a direct hit of a Vajra beam attack and when I was damning my stinking luck for getting caught in it (they are aggressive!), I noticed my "life" bar going down and then the equipment was purged. My VF-25 was mostly unharmed and unleashed the effing fury on the Vajra.

I suppose some of the questions you had and didn't post could be answered with this, Keith.

Edited by CrazyMartian

-Haven't figured it out yet.

-I actually wanted to start from scratch, so I actually moved my MAF save off my memory stick. In other words, don't know.

-I used the MAF-style controls, so I don't know. Lucky for us, CrazyMartian answered that one.

-This one I do know. The answer is sort of yes. I say sort of, because the memorable moments in SDF Macross are going to be the same, so you're going to have to chase Kamjin off Mars and shoot down Q-Rau's until Milia kills Roy. But the missions themselves aren't carbon copies of MAF's (like GBU's were cut and pasted from GBC). For a simple example, on the Miss Macross mission, you still have to shoot down the Quel-Quallie, but instead of the mission being over when you're done, you'll actually have three Zentradi soldiers to shoot down.

Another difference from MAF: You'll notice, sort of under and to the left of your weapon info, "ANTI" in big weapons with "100" underneath it. Now, in the default controls, if you hold Square+X you'll go into Missile Defense Mode. In Battroid or Gerwalk mode that means shooting down incoming missiles, and in fighter mode that means deploying flares. When you're in missile defense mode, that 100 will count down, and when you exit it'll slowly go back up. You can still take damage in Missile Defense mode from any attack that's not a missile (or those missiles that leave the big ball explosions, if they're shot too close).

In campaign mode, when you're at the hanger, you have five tabs that you can scroll through by tapping the L and R buttons. From left to right, they're Mission, Player, Partner, and Record, which are all self-explanatory. The last tab is Shop. I have no idea what it's for. You apparently collect point during missions that can be spent on unlocks, but I'm not sure what they are or what they're for. Perhaps the Gallery? One of the choices does say BGM, and another Movie. In the movie section, I can read stuff like "Zero Prologue", "Zero Epilogue", "7 Prologue" etc.

Finally, after lurking on this forum for years now... I figure I'll register and talk Ultimate Frontier. Picked it up yesterday so I can play it when I go back out to sea.

In regards to the "real" controls: Battroid and Gerwalk aren't changed in Real Flight control mode, only piloting in fighter mode.

Has anyone figured out what exactly the Support Character does? I can't read Japanese so I haven't the foggiest idea. It seems like most of the customization aspects otherwise are pretty darn similar to Ace Frontier.

(And seriously... the mission where you have to carry the head of AFOS... annoying as hell.)

Thought i'd quit playing just long enough to send you pics of the limited edition. Sorry my good camera isnt here at the moment. I may later after a play session go put it on my scanner. And yes FP Klan is in the game in some form saw her on the loading screens.

P1040206.jpg

P1040202.jpg

P1040205.jpg

P1040207.jpg

P1040208.jpg

P1040209.jpg

P1040210.jpg

P1040211.jpg

P1040212.jpg

Edited by Sorata

I finished the Frontier missions. They are REALLY great, which was a huge relief because in MAF, they pretty much sucked. Fast Pack Klan IS there, much to my enormous joy. I did not expect her to be included, but hey! I was proven wrong, and I'm happy it happened.

Anyone got the VF-2SS?

My wishlist for the next one is to have Kanaria, Liza Hoyly, Raramia and Nene. A Macross II campaign would be really cool and an original campaign would make it legendary.

Oh, oh... I was forgetting. Can I bother a Limited Edition owner with a request? Could any of you make a high quality scan of the Mikimoto illustration with the Macross heroines? I'd like to make a big wallpaper when I have the time.

Edited by CrazyMartian

I picked real flight controls just to test it out and it makes boss fights alot harder! i can't read japanese so if anyone can tell me how to change it to normal without creating a new save file that'd be awesome thanks.

I'll help you.

At the main menu, before loading file and whatnot, go to Option>Control.

At the upper left corner, you'll see FLIGHT TYPE highlited. Select it with Circle and and press up for normal. Exit with X, then select your file and enjoy.

I personally prefer the Real controls, but I'm not about to bash the normal ones because they were very comfortable for me too.

Hooray for being given options!

I finished the Frontier missions. They are REALLY great, which was a huge relief because in MAF, they pretty much sucked. Fast Pack Klan IS there, much to my enormous joy. I did not expect her to be included, but hey! I was proven wrong, and I'm happy it happened.

Anyone got the VF-2SS?

My wishlist for the next one is to have Kanaria, Liza Hoyly, Raramia and Nene. A Macross II campaign would be really cool and an original campaign would make it legendary.

Oh, oh... I was forgetting. Can I bother a Limited Edition owner with a request? Could any of you make a high quality scan of the Mikimoto illustration with the Macross heroines? I'd like to make a big wallpaper when I have the time.

Can we get some FP-KK action pic's?!

As for Kanaria, Nene, Raramia, & Liza, I'm actually surprised they're not there. Any sign of Emilia? I wouldn't count any of them out yet though, at least until everything is S ranked, and all the extra mission passwords have been released. Any sign of a custom pain scheme "Monster Girl," VB-6?