V remake - new TV series coming to ABC

damn the original was awesome

It was good, don't know if I would quite go as far as awesome. If anything, the original V was unique, at least, at the time. It seemed to be a fairly good attempt at producing an "adult" SF production (even though heaps of us watched it as kids). It was very, very dark. The TV series wasn't as great, but given the demands of network TV at the time its a wonder that it was produced at all.

Taksraven

I was a kid when I watched this, but if I remember correctly there was a scene where there was this baby and his "fake" skin fell of and he looked like a baby lizard???, I remember something like that and I remember scaring the crap out of me.

When Diana wore her hair straight she was stunning. Even with her typical 80's over-acting I still found her to be venomous, intimidating yet hot all at the same time..

It was good, don't know if I would quite go as far as awesome. If anything, the original V was unique, at least, at the time. It seemed to be a fairly good attempt at producing an "adult" SF production (even though heaps of us watched it as kids). It was very, very dark. The TV series wasn't as great, but given the demands of network TV at the time its a wonder that it was produced at all.

Taksraven

It was awesome for it's time, but I doubt it would carry over well now. Hell, I can't even watch Independence day.

The girl with the Machine gun is the resistance leader, which I think is probably going to be closest to Elizabeth's Mitchell's character. It seems like they changed the characters but kept the roles similar to the original. There's a TV reporter played by Scott Wolf, which in no way would be similar to Marc "The Beastmaster" Singer's rogue field reporter. The camera he uses is not that much bigger than the ones reporters carry now. But probably a lot heavier. I'm sure he'd be a lot more comfortable with a camera hidden in his baseball cap, a la 20/20 though....lol.

• 3 months later...
"V" Remake Hits Big Delay

Maybe they should have just save this show for summer.

Oi!!!! Linking to Dark Horizons is MY gig!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Seriously though, thanks a lot for that. Its an interesting read even if details are sketchly.

Sounds like, once again as it was back in the 80's, the network has no idea what to do with this show. AND, the mistake of trying to make this show a long-term prospect is probably what will stuff things up. Personally I believe that V works in a mini-series format but I have never seen it as having the sort of potential that will make it last for multiple seasons on TV. They are probably hoping for BSG remake success but i don't think that they have a chance in hell of getting it.

Taksraven

Shows can surprise you... Usually a show would be radically changed when the actual show starts. But the way people reacted in SDCC you would think it was the best show they have ever seen. Not a really good place to measure actual quality.

Taksraven

The original was incredibly creepy. I dont think I ever saw the end of it either. I dont remember how it ended at any rate!

What happened is in the mid-1930s someone wrote a book called "It Can't Happen Here", which detailed the rise of a fascist state in America, complete with secret police, concentration camps, political assassination. A few years later someone read it and decided to make a miniseries out of it, but the network rejected it as being too "cerebral" and "anti-American". So the badguys were changed from fascists and replaced with aliens and thus V was born.

Kinda makes sense when you think about the Resistance groups and rebel heroes, eh?

• 1 month later...
scifi was running an original V marathon today. lol lizard baby.

I remember when I was a kid, that scene gave me nightmares.

Many years later, as an adult, I got the DVD's when they came out, and that scene made me laugh. So cheesy.

Ah. Gotta love the 80's.

But, despite some of the cheese, V had some rather extraordinary moments too.

I caught this this weekend. It held up a lot better than I thought it would. Enjoyed the heck out of it.

Nah, I'm finding that most programs like that from the era don't stand up too well. Just a matter of opinion I suppose.

Taksraven

It's interesting how fast they moved into the thick of it. With the older series there was alot more buildup and subtlety but this one got them out there got them as bad guys and had them getting loyalists. And the Visitors know how to fight instead of being bulle-I mean laser-sponges like the original. I think I'll be watching this.

And thank God they didn't have the hs band playing that godawful rendition of the Star Wars theme. :rolleyes:

Nah, I'm finding that most programs like that from the era don't stand up too well. Just a matter of opinion I suppose.

Taksraven

I didn't say it was the best thing since sliced bread. I just thought it was gonna be as bad as the original BSG or Buck Rogers. It just wasn't campy... they played it straight and that made it bearable to sit thru.

Unfortunately, most of them were ripped off from other science fiction works, like Childhood's End.

Most modern Sci-Fi is ripped off from previous endeavors. Look, it's simple. The entertainment industry will NOT take a chance on ANYTHING unless it is a sequel. Or remake. Or a rip off of something else. It sucks. It does. But that's the way it is.

It was alright. Kinda hokey though. That Firefly actress seems pretty dull like she always been. I guess it makes her more creepy. That hairdo and neutral suit make her look like a total lesbian. Not the trendy MTV or the old butch ones but the boyish looking ones who you find is wearing the same exact tie you are but they can't find the humor in it. Like come on lighten up. I'm not interested in you either sister. You're as attractive as 16 year old boy.

It's interesting how fast they moved into the thick of it. With the older series there was alot more buildup and subtlety but this one got them out there got them as bad guys and had them getting loyalists. And the Visitors know how to fight instead of being bulle-I mean laser-sponges like the original. I think I'll be watching this.

And thank God they didn't have the hs band playing that godawful rendition of the Star Wars theme. :rolleyes:

Time has change... I think the storyline moving much faster than it should be. I guess it also depends on how much new storylines the writers put into this new remake. So far, the first ep is ok, not impress by the special effect/design much, but I like most of the cast, and they are doing some fine job.

I hope it will have some surprise storyline later on.

I watched most of the Original V marathon on Syfy this weekend, so fun to watch most of the city sets all filmed on the Universal Studios back lot, And special effects that were cool for the day. I was looking forward to this new version...... Not bad, not as impressive neither, although that F-16 falling & crashing into the Streets was pretty cool!! I'll still give this series a chance and see where it goes. B))

Edited by 505thAirborne