Robotech and HG License Debates

With all the writers they've gone through, what's a good estimate on how much they've spent just to come up with an acceptable script for the film? Combined, it's probably not much compared to what they'll likely spend in the future, but so far it's the first expenses made by the WB for the project which will only get higher.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Film_production

If this guy's screenplay/script doesn't work out, they find a new guy to write a new one. They could make dozens of screenplays and not go anywhere. They could commission artists and make thousands of designs and still not go anywhere. It's wash-rise-repeat until they go with a certain writer's screenplay and then get that green-lighted.

*Sigh* Now you're making me feel bad for the failed Evangelion and Halo movie...

Last year for AX, HG had some stupid saying (when Kasdan was writing at the time), look who we got writing the story!!! He's known for (then they listed on a powerpoint the list of Kasdan's work). The truth was, HG didn't even do that, it was WB.

Well, this time they could inform the roomful of Robotech fan hopefuls at AX/CC panels that WB cares about story because they hired a horror novelist. Damn, it seems that even typing that sounds like they're scraping at the bottom. Maybe this guy is just that good.

I am curious what is his "very clear vision for the material that seemed to fit the collective group's vision for the property" is though.

I get it, no Minmay.

Apparently you don't know much about how filmmaking works. There is almost never a "definitive version of the script". There are almost always rewrites going on until principal photography, and even then often until the very end of shooting. Animation is a bit more locked down, but we are talking about a Hollywood movie.

True, but "some version of the script" has to be ready before they can even move on to preproduction and casting. Its annoying that all we hear about are new writers every few months telling us that its going to take even longer for the film to actually be produced. Though new writers mean a longer wait, its actually a great sign for the movie in the long run. Multiple writers are often brought on for big budget films to write scripts for different aspects of a film such as a "screenplay," "charaters," "dialogue", etc. Its the low buget adaptions like Dragonball Evolution that settle for one or two writers to quickly pen everything.

From hints from the article and the wikis, it looks like Tom Rob Smith is an author of suspense thriller books. Child 44 is like a Soviet Russia version of Jack the Ripper. He hasn't touched anything remotely sci-fi in his career so far. My guess is that they want to turn the LAMR a mind screw film because of the Protoculture.

Have you forgotten how much thrill and suspense Macross/Robotech had in general?

Edited by Freiflug88

I get it, no Minmay.

More likely they'll kill Minmei (Robotech name) in the cruelest way possible to prove they're different from Macross. It's a good way to create tension and drama. HG made her useless after the first generation anyway.

Edited by Einherjar

More likely they'll kill Minmei (Robotech name) in the cruelest way possible to prove they're different from Macross. It's a good way to create tension and drama. HG made her useless after the first generation anyway.

Hell, they made her pretty useless IN the first generation (and annoying as all git-out). <_<

I think that writing this film would be the WORST possible job. Especially if HG has much input into what goes into the film. Then it has to get past the lawyers, etc. Do we know how much, if any input HG is going to have into this? I still wonder if the studio is aware of the complex legal situation surrounding this franchise. Probably not.

It will probably blow up in their faces when the movie is a few months away from being released (remember what happened to Watchmen), if the project gets that far, which I doubt.

Is anybody here familiar with the process that films go through when they are in scripting/development hell stages of production? How many people could have been assigned to this project already or would it just be the writer? When would the design work happen?

Sometimes I think that, as Macross fans, maybe we should be making more internet "noise" in other places such as youtube, to promote Macross and the fact that RT is a fake.

Taksraven

For the past year on Youtube, two guys called 009FGH and JamesBond77 are doing what they can to inform people about the ripoff that is robotech.

Here JamesBond77 in action guys :

Edited by Macross007

This new guy may not be the final writer. In many cases, they write out a variation of what they envision, and what the production company likes, they'll keep, and keep building until they have what they're looking for. This whole project is gonna take awhile, and while I do feel for the fans that want at least a little something, news of it being made, or tanking can take several years. Let's see, they've switched writers about 3 or 4 times, the director they originally had bailed out, and that's where it's all been stuck at...staff changes. Haha, yeah, there's a lot going on.

I'm still hoping that if it does well, that WB decides to buy the franchise and do their own thing with it. WB would be smart to do that and then work out a deal for bringing Macross over. Not expected to happen, but here's to wishful thinking.

For the past year on Youtube, two guys called 009FGH and JamesBond77 are doing what they can to inform people about the ripoff that is robotech.

Here JamesBond77 in action guys :

Calling RT fans a bunch of vulgar names does nothing to help the cause. <_<

Calling RT fans a bunch of vulgar names does nothing to help the cause. <_<

Well, if you read closely JamesBond77 did not insult Robotech fans but only Harmony Gold. 009FGH is another story ...

Edited by Macross007

Well, if you read closely JamesBond77 did not insult Robotech fans but only Harmony Gold. 009FGH is another story ...

From JamesBond77 on ROBOTECHFANPLUS's Youtube page:

Sorry again ROBOSHITFANPLUS, but back up your claims with EVIDENCES and not OPINIONS before making a fool of yourself next time.

And no real insults to RTfanPlus himself here, but:

Homotech is everything but original. Have you seen Homotech : The Shadow Crapnicles ? It was like watching a Star Trek episode. Robocrap ripped Macross now Homotech is ripping Star Trek. Just to tell you how the guys at Harmony Gay are dealing poorly with Robocrap, a dying franchise going nowhere. At the other end, Macross has a future. Macross Frontier has been a success. An animated movie is on its way proving how Macross is successful.

fart Harmony GAY and HOMOtech !!!

VIVA MACROSS !!!

Yee-haw. That JamesBond77, what a superior intellect. Really makes his points with logic and reason, and makes Macross sound so inviting and wonderful. Calling everything that one dislikes "gay" or "homo" makes him sound NOTHING AT ALL like an irate 10-year-old, does it? <_<

If he's trying to speak for Macross fans, I wish he'd stop.

... the director they originally had bailed out, and that's where it's all been stuck at...staff changes. Haha, yeah, there's a lot going on.

They had a director? :blink::lol: Chuck Roven was one of the producers before he bailed on the project.

They had a director? :blink::lol: Chuck Roven was one of the producers before he bailed on the project.

Did Roven actually bail from the project? Harmony Gold's official position is that he was reassigned.

Did Roven actually bail from the project? Harmony Gold's official position is that he was reassigned.

I have heard rumors that Roven left because of creative differences with Tobey and Akiva Goldsmith, but I do know that Roven is now concentrating solely on the Flash movie as currently there are no solid plans for a Batman 3. I think HG's position that he was reassigned could be the truth though. Three producers working on single film with no completed script is a bit much and some creative differences are bound to happen on such collaborative projects so it only makes sense to reassign Roven to the Flash movie which appears to be even further behind the RLAM in terms of progress made.

http://geektyrant.com/2009/01/the-flash-movie-gets-a-writer/

They had a director? blink.gif laugh.gif Chuck Roven was one of the producers before he bailed on the project.

They never had a director. Thats actually a misunderstanding that I am to blame for. I thought Roven stated "Nolan would like to shoot in IMAX" when he was talking about Robotech at the 2008 Scream awards. Upon rewatching the clips of Roven at the 2008 Scream awards today I realized I had made a terrible mistake. In one video he was discussing about Chris Nolan not wanting to shoot Batman 3 at the moment, then in a later video he is asked if Robotech will be in IMAX which Rovan repied "We don't have a script yet! And if we are going to do 3D which I am a big fan of we are going to need more 3d screens." I got the two statements mixed up in my memory and believed that Roven was talking about Nolan wanting to shoot Robotech.

I get it, no Minmay.

Minmay will no doubt be a tough issue. Its anyone's quess how the mainstream audiences would react to an anti-climatic ending of a massive alien armada defeated in one fell swoop by a love song instead of massive explosions. On the other hand the complete and utter removal of the singing idol and Love triangle drama that made the Macross Saga so unique and memorialble would likely reduce the film to a generic sci-fi flick.

Edited by Freiflug88

Minmay will no doubt be a tough issue. Its anyone's quess how the mainstream audiences would react to an anti-climatic ending of a massive alien armada defeated in one fell swoop by a love song instead of massive explosions. On the other hand the complete and utter removal of the singing idol and Love triangle drama that made the Macross Saga so unique and memorialble would likely reduce the film to a generic sci-fi flick.

Don't confuse this as a live action DYRL?, they can derail Minmei's character to not make her a big part of the plot. The focus was always on the military and how brave and resilient they were against the odds. Minmei's just a footnote in history most people want forget in Robotech.

Don't confuse this as a live action DYRL?, they can derail Minmei's character to not make her a big part of the plot. The focus was always on the military and how brave and resilient they were against the odds. Minmei's just a footnote in history most people want forget in Robotech.

That's why I can picture the U.S. military using the movie as a propaganda tool since the only main character who did not kill a single person during the whole series will be cast aside like a piece of poo. <_<

Edited by Macross007

The guys at Harmony Gold said the the same thing about fans hating Minmei blah blach blach, but look at the obvious Minmei tributes they did in Shadow Chronicles! Things are really up to the movie makers' interpretation of Robotech and of course the copyright issues, not what Robotech fans want in the end. Of course they could just derail Minmei's charater, but then it just turns the movie into Independance Day with giant transforming mecha.

That's why I can picture the U.S. military using the movie as a propaganda tool since the only main character who did not kill a single person during the whole series will be cast aside like a piece of poo. dry.gif

Your absolutely right, I am sure the military would love to promote images of soldiers breaking up with their celebrity ex-girlfriends with a hard slap in the face after banging their sexy superior officers.

Edited by Freiflug88

The guys at Harmony Gold said the the same thing about fans hating Minmei blah blach blach, but look at the obvious Minmei tributes they did in Shadow Chronicles!

Because if they didn't put "subtle" references to the other parts of the Robotech saga, pandering, fans wouldn't know if Shadow Chronicles was really a continuous sequel to the rest of it. This is especially true if the copyright really forced elements coming back to look completely different from what they were before. Others were retcons to justify unfortunate implications while on a strict time limit.

[Janice singing "It's You" at a lounge out of nowhere] "Hmm, that's familiar. She's pretty."

[shows the retcon Rick Hunter on screen] "This is Admiral Rick Hunter testing out the Neutron-S missiles before we use them for Earth (seriously)."

"Don't worry Janice, We Will Win."

Meanwhile, everyone else would wonder, among other things, why is a cyborg horribly singing amid all this craziness.

Your absolutely right, I am sure the military would love to promote images of soldiers breaking up with their celebrity ex-girlfriends with a hard slap in the face after banging their sexy superior officers.

then hopping in there jet that turns into a robot to go bitch slap a 40 foot giant?

I just realized how important a role slapping people in the face plays in macross.

[shows the retcon Rick Hunter on screen] "This is Admiral Rick Hunter testing out the Neutron-S missiles before we use them for Earth (seriously)."

"I love the new scar." was one of my reactions...

There's something I don't get though... Why are many "casual" Robotech fans insisting that Miley Cyrus or Vanessa Hudgens play Minmei??!

There's something I don't get though... Why are many "casual" Robotech fans insisting that Miley Cyrus or Vanessa Hudgens play Minmei??!

I can understand the choice for Miley Cyrus, her real life is a similar train wreck as Robtech Minmei's. She's a singer, actor (Hannah Montana), has family and relationship problems, and about the same age as Minmei. Guess they want to emulate the character derailment Carl Macek planned for her years ago with tweeners.

Here's some examples I've been following on thanks to E! The Soup:

Georgia Rule spoof (the last quote really happened)

It's Miley!

It's a felony!

Vanessa Hudgens is the same deal, an actor, singer and probably a screwed up personal life just like most people get for working with Disney at an early age (High School Musicals).

EDIT: Damn tweeners, stop confusing me.

Edited by Einherjar

"I love the new scar." was one of my reactions...

Arcadia of Hunter's youth...

then hopping in there jet that turns into a robot to go bitch slap a 40 foot giant?

I just realized how important a role slapping people in the face plays in macross.

Good point. Why use the power of song when you can just use the unstoppable...

DAEDALUS BITCH SLAP ATTACK!!!!!

Probably because they want the role filled by a familiar Disney star that they know can actually sing. Also Vanessa Hudgens is half chinese like Minmei was, but if your going to have Minmei date her cousin in the movie then their probably going to use a southern girl like Miley Cyrus.

Maybe they should just follow Macross Frontier's example and have two voices for one singing idol! Vanessa Hudgens will act and sing as Minmey while Miley Cyrus provides the southern accent for Minmai's regular voice!

Vanessa Hudgens is the same deal, an actor, singer and probably a screwed up personal life just like most people get for working with Disney at an early age (High School Musicals).

She screwed up her personal life when she send nude photos of herself to her boyfriend via cellphone only to get them leaked everyone on the net.

Come to think of it is Disney still doing a Live action adaption of Star Blazers? IMDB has Star Blazers listd as in development for a 2010 release: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0800218/. If thats the case I think there could be a conflict of interest having a Disney star casted as a star in a competing space opera flim,

Edited by Freiflug88

Because if they didn't put "subtle" references to the other parts of the Robotech saga, pandering, fans wouldn't know if Shadow Chronicles was really a continuous sequel to the rest of it. This is especially true if the copyright really forced elements coming back to look completely different from what they were before.

Considering the entire movie revolves around the only unresolved plot point that the majority of the fans still give a damn about... the whereabouts of a Macross character Harmony Gold can't legally use... is it any surprise they had to load the movie down with useless references to previous Robotech sagas to present viewers with the illusion of continuity with the rest of Robotech? If they hadn't, the only way you'd be able to tell it was a Robotech sequel and not just a generic-looking direct-to-DVD sci-fi movie with dodgy animation, substandard writing, lackluster editing, shoddy voice acting, piss-poor music, and boring, dated mecha designs would be the title on the box.

I guess Bright Noa got bored after the One Year War and started teaching at the U.N. Spacy's Officer Candidate School.

Maybe they're hoping that, if nothing else, having a reasonably attractive woman on the cast will keep the fans coming to conventions. Or maybe they're hoping for a Zentradi style lolicon attraction with Miley?

Edited by Seto Kaiba

Remember when people thought Tobey Maguire was going to be Rick, and now people want Miley Cyrus to be Minmei?

I've learned too much about fan preferences.

("It's still a felony!")

Tobey joked with Howard Stern years ago that he would like to bang the Olsen twins, but that he would wait until they were 18 or go to Brazil...

People want Miley as Minmei not because she might hook up with Tobey, but because she is attractive, she can actually sing, and its stereotypical to have a southern girl date her cousin.

I guess Bright Noa got bored after the One Year War and started teaching at the U.N. Spacy's Officer Candidate School.

Gatchaman slapping Professor Nambu taught the art of pimp slapping at candidate school until he was killed by Kamjin-wannabe Ecobosular.

http://www.anime-cel.com/gatchamaniac/pict...ar_headshot.jpg

Edited by Freiflug88

She can't sing, but that might be an improvement. In fact, what does she do again? Eye candy? laugh.gif

While we are at it lets ask WB to make a Live Action adaption of the Robotech Sentinels Winter Wonderland Comic :lol:

00frontcoverb.th.jpg

Edited by Freiflug88

While we are at it lets ask WB to make a Live Action adaption of the Robotech Sentinels Winter Wonderland Comic :lol:

00frontcoverb.th.jpg

oh god no... ugh... nightmares. I need to go throw up now...

Edited by anime52k8

Here's something that's bugged me recently; what's the fandom's impression on characters with mixed genetic ancestries like Dana and Maia Stirling or good aliens in general? On general and RPG discussions it's kind of weird to see people use "half-caste" or "half-breed" to describe half human and Zentradi characters and possibly others with similar backgrounds. Even for a fictional show aren't those terms kind of offensive these days, especially with what's happened in Macross up to this point? I thought hybrid was a more polite and scientific word to use instead.

00frontcoverb.th.jpg

My eyes! THEY BURN!

Here's something that's bugged me recently; what's the fandom's impression on characters with mixed genetic ancestries like Dana and Maia Stirling or good aliens in general?

Honestly, it's hard to say exactly what the Robotech fanbase thinks of characters of mixed ancestry. The problem is that, aside from the Sterlings, there really aren't any mixed-species couples who have produced children. The Zentradi are nearly wiped out, the survivors pack up and leave with the Expeditionary Forces and suffer heavy losses, leaving the species all but extinct by 2044. The Tirolans who attacked Earth are apparently wiped out at the end of the war, so they never mate with humans, and all but two of the human-form Invid are dead by the end of their war with humanity, and they haven't been around long enough to mate with anyone. Unless Scott and Ariel or Lancer and Sera pop out a kid in the near future, the only mixed-ancestry characters around are Dana Sterling, who is almost universally loathed, and Maia Sterling, who is too new and unestablished for the fans to give a hoot about.

For now, it doesn't look like the Robotech fanbase gives a toss about mixed-ancestry characters. The show and expanded universe material have always been kind of anthropocentric, pitting the all-human forces against the evil, cardboard cutout alien villains.

The subject of "good aliens" in Robotech is a particularly odious one, because there's no way to approach it without bringing up the monumental stupidity that is Robotech II: the Sentinels. Really, there are no "good" aliens in the original Robotech series. There are always one or two "good" characters among the evil alien hordes, but other than them, the aliens are essentially all malevolent, and bent on humanity's destruction. Robotech II: the Sentinels tried to introduce the subject of friendly alien races by having the Expeditionary Forces of the Pioneer Mission liberating worlds that had been invaded and occupied by the Invid Regent's forces. Unfortunately, the friendly aliens who appear in Robotech II: the Sentinels are a pack of sci-fi cliches... anthropomorphic animals, sentient robots, coneheads, rock people, and space amazons. Even hardcore Robotech fans have a hard time taking the Sentinels aliens seriously, and the general consensus is that the whole lot of them were a stupid idea to begin with. Robotech fans don't do friendly aliens... it's always humanity versus the alien menace.

00frontcoverb.th.jpg

How dare you.

Remember when people thought Tobey Maguire was going to be Rick, and now people want Miley Cyrus to be Minmei?

Some fans seem to be speculating that Minmei could turn Korean... I wonder if that would be a problem...

On general and RPG discussions it's kind of weird to see people use "half-caste" or "half-breed" to describe half human and Zentradi characters and possibly others with similar backgrounds.

I believe it's because Robotech RPG players live in a bubble, sealed from the rest of humanity.

I believe it's because Robotech RPG players live in a bubble, sealed from the rest of humanity.

Eh, I'd say Robotech fans live in a sealed-off bubble away from the rest of humanity... Robotech RPG players doubly so.

If they're following the Warhammer 40,000 model of archaic extremes for the RPG, it's a stretch, it might be understandable. It wouldn't be fun if everyone in the galaxy wasn't fighting each other.

If they apply it to the main series, whatever counts as canon these days, it might make it repetitive and kind of disturbing. In fact, there could be some similarities with both from just unfortunate implications.