Robotech and HG License Debates

I missed the train wreck of nothingness yesterday, but did get a recap of what was shown and said. Basically, there will be a Maia Beta made at some point with a "synchro cannon" attached. Probably the only thing I'd be half interested in. Also, some European video game company supposedly is gonna make a Shadow Chronicles game, not sure how valid that is or how sure that deal is. They still have Kasdan on their power point as one of the writers of RLAM, and some fans seem to have the idea that this means he's still working on it, although it's just laziness on Tommy's part for not editing the powerpoint enough, or perhaps they were intending to mislead unknowing fans, who knows. Lastly that was already announced, the Yamato, I mean, Toynami 1/100 Stealth valk. Why? I don't know why they're doing it. But it does prove that at least Toynami knows that Macross is where it's at, and always will be.

As far as general talk about LAM, and the Shadow Rising,,,, (crickets)

There was only the announcement of the new writer, the novelist, which means that they still aren't even close to starting on production. As for Shadow rising, I think they skipped talking about that, or skirted the question altogether. A whole presentation about nothing again.

They could have saved money and posted all that information on the website. That's why rt.com exists, right?

One would think, but I think Kevin plans all these public appearances to keep his job. I mean, if he wasn't doing all this, he probably wouldn't be needed at HG, like he's really needed anyway. I think he's just someone who talks for them so that they don't have to deal w/ the fans. But you are right, I thought their site was for the most "up to date and current news"? Now, it's just a site with the same old posts from 5 years ago, complainers, and fanboys. The ones that don't fit into those 3 classes are there for friends only it seems, and that is far and few between times they're actually there. I'd have to say that I believe the silence on the site, and the representation at the cons with no real news is a bad sign for them. It's a facade to make people think that so much is really going on. Not to say that nothing is, but whatever is planned, be it large or small, seems quite a ways away, and mediocre at best as far as interest. Oh well, the news from AX 09 has come and gone, and basically is nothing more than what we already know. So, what's next?

They could have saved money and posted all that information on the website. That's why rt.com exists, right?

Naw, Twitter is cheaper. That, and Kevin McKeever said it would cost them millions of dollars to invest in "web marketing". :wacko:

Remember in Waterworld when the Deacon made an inspirational speech that motivated the Smokers to row their tanker at no specific direction? After the convention season, how long will it take fans to figure out they've been played again this year?

Strange but true, Robotech fans and staff alike just love to count their chickens before they hatch. Why do you think Kasdan and Roven are still listed in the panel presentations?

It's also a sign that they're still banking on the LAMR to fix the rut they're in when the 80's/Japanese revival trend is no longer a guaranteed money maker.

Oho! Got ya' there buddy. If you check out Kevin McKeever's blog, there's an unusual number of posts about the gazillions of dollars Transformers made at the Box Office. Either McKeever's a huge Transformers movie fanboy or... (read between the lines)

...some European video game company supposedly is gonna make a Shadow Chronicles game, not sure how valid that is or how sure that deal is.

Some European game company is willing to invest tens of millions of dollars to possibly develop a "next-gen" Robotech game. A Shadow Chronicles one at that?? :huh: Nah... couldn't be. Maybe a Wii game? Quick cash in? Did anyone hint it would be an uninspired cellphone game?

Why? I don't know why they're doing it. But it does prove that at least Toynami knows that Macross is where it's at, and always will be.

Not quite. If there really are 2 - 4,000 extremely hardcore Robotech fans out there willing to shell out their life savings for $200.00 for a "cyclone" and all-the-colors-of-the-rainbow Beta fighters, what do they need Macross for?

There was only the announcement of the new writer, the novelist, which means that they still aren't even close to starting on production. As for Shadow rising, I think they skipped talking about that, or skirted the question altogether. A whole presentation about nothing again.

Stay tuned. I'll be monitoring San Diego a couple'a weeks from now. Thanks Jason, hope you can provide us more inside dirt.

Also, some European video game company supposedly is gonna make a Shadow Chronicles game, not sure how valid that is or how sure that deal is.

I believe there is a great chance this could be valid for one simple detail: a European company is making the game in other words HG is outsourcing to a cheaper foreign company once again. It also

sounds to me like HG might have gotten an idea from the "Ghostbusters 3: The Movie" Video game. Rather then produce Shadow Rising they could just have some one else complete the story in a video game. Plus they must be hoping to cash in on the trend that several popular games have become more profitable then movies.

Not quite. If there really are 2 - 4,000 extremely hardcore Robotech fans out there willing to shell out their life savings for $200.00 for a "cyclone" and all-the-colors-of-the-rainbow Beta fighters, what do they need Macross for?

If HG is making thousands of Americans lose their life savings in this economy we should notify the government. While we are at lets also tell Obama that ripping off the intellect property of the Japanese and selling it as your own is immoral and that allowing it to continue puts a smear on America's image. Then he can use some of the bailout money to buy the Macross trademarks and hand them back to BW. Problem solved! :lol:

Edited by Freiflug88

Great, now I'm interested in knowing what you can do to make a panel presentation like Robotech last for at least an hour, saying nothing new but keeping people interested at the same time every year.

Honestly, Harmony Gold's creative and marketing staff has perfected the art of talking a lot without actually saying anything. I understand they also devote something like half the panel time to Q&A and other associated malarkey.

I guess the weird thing about it is even on the Internet fans sound conditioned to expect these things every year and are happy with it. All important criticisms reverted to a call for patience that will sort itself out in time, every time. They trust these guys way too much, they haven't done anything creative for Robotech for years and they're mostly pitchmen now.

"Be patient" seems to be the default response of the die-hards these days. They're so utterly convinced that Robotech will finally deliver on the promise it supposedly had back in the 80's and will wow the world when the live-action movie comes out... we just (supposedly) have to give them enough time to make the live-action movie a flawless masterpiece... so our great great great great grandchildren will probably be watching it while they tool around the galaxy at Warp 6.

At least we can take this as a sign that the RLAM is still a go. Since they announced the RLAM to the world rather then keeping it underwraps they got to at least speak to the fans. If the RLAM was shelved Kevin and Tommy would have canceled any scheduled Robotech panels, silently retreated to their offices of solitude, and post that it was all BW's fault for not recognizing HG's copyrights to their "original" series Robotech and scarying WB away with lawsuits so don't blame us fans blah blah blah.

We shouldn't take this as a sign that the LAM is a go... it's out of Harmony Gold's hands at this point. They sold the rights to Maguire Entertainment and Maguire partnered with Warner Bros. Whether or not the movie makes it into production is not going to be Harmony Gold's call. As it still HASN'T entered production, it would appear that it will not be going anywhere for the foreseeable future.

If it falls apart, and I believe it probably will, Tommy and Kevin will only retreat to their fortresses of crapulence once Warner and Maguire tell them it's been axed... odds are they won't bother telling Harmony Gold for a while anyway.

It's also a sign that they're still banking on the LAMR to fix the rut they're in when the 80's/Japanese revival trend is no longer a guaranteed money maker. They've halted work on everything else and waiting as long as they can for the film, it's either profit or bust for them now. That, toys and RPG books are realistically all that's left in the foreseeable future.

One has to wonder how they think they're going to succeed with this live-action movie when the trend they're depending on is dying fast, and they're still dicking around in the earliest phases of pre-production. It looks to me like when the bubble bursts, we're looking at another twenty-year silence from Harmony Gold. Maybe a few more Macross shows can slip through once they're back to having nobody "minding the store".

Basically, there will be a Maia Beta made at some point with a "synchro cannon" attached.

Well, yes, but that much was essentially a given. They couldn't pass up the opportunity to sell another Beta repaint to the masses at $200 a pop. I wonder if it'll sell bugger-all like the Jack Archer YF-1R did.

Also, some European video game company supposedly is gonna make a Shadow Chronicles game, not sure how valid that is or how sure that deal is.

So they're ditching Vicious Cycle Software as a developer? Maybe they've hired the cheesy French pricks at Ubisoft to handle it this time. If Robotech: Invasion was anything to go by, they don't have a goddamn clue what the fans want. I can't believe they think there's actually enough content in RTSC to make a game. Why, WHY am I thinking that this'll be a Chronicles of Riddick: Assault on Dark Athena-style repackage of Invasion billed as a new game because of the addition of an expansion pack that was too short and too poo to be a stand-alone title was tacked on to the end?

"Be patient" seems to be the default response of the die-hards these days. They're so utterly convinced that Robotech will finally deliver on the promise it supposedly had back in the 80's and will wow the world when the live-action movie comes out... we just (supposedly) have to give them enough time to make the live-action movie a flawless masterpiece... so our great great great great grandchildren will probably be watching it while they tool around the galaxy at Warp 6.

Don't forget "We own everything in Robotech..." and similar garbage. Hope they're still not using that one constantly in the Q&A section. I still think they should be preparing a plan B at this point and stop bragging until they have something worthwhile to show the world. We'll make fun of whatever they come up with, but at least it would be something to make money on.

Hope the fans haven't put Robotech on a very high pedestal after all these years. The final product probably won't meet their high expectations, especially if they're hoping for flawless.

And what audience are they catering to these days; the Hollywood crowd, anime crowd, comic book crowd, sci-fi crowd, novel crowd...?

EDIT: The pedestal thing might be happening with the MacF movies Macross the First, but at least those involved are giving people hints on what exactly they're doing with them. That's called effective communication in the Internet age HG.

Edited by Einherjar

If HG is making thousands of Americans lose their life savings in this economy we should notify the government!

To give credit where it's due, they did issue a full refund for the horrid Maia Sterling Super Duper Shadow Fighter toy. ^_^

Thanks for the link! Let's see now which is worth mentioning...

1.NEW SOURCEBOOK RPG BY PALLEDIUM CALLED

MARINES. TAKES TIME AND COULD EXPLAIN MUCH ON THE SENTINALS TIMELINE

Wait... is this even worth mentioning?

VF STRIKE VALK STEALTH WITH GOLD TRIM FROM DYRL 3 MODE. WILL BE EXCLUSIVE COMIC CON BOX AT UNDER 30BUCKS. LIMITED SALE AT COMIC CON.

Hail DYRL. Boo Toynami.

SHADOW RISING AND RLAM IN THE WORKS

The same joke, three years running. Shadow Rising better be the best damn piece of B-grade Korean animation the world has ever seen. Again, is this even news worthy?

ALL RIGHTS BEING PULLED LIKE THAT FROM TAKE 2 (THEY DID BATTLE CRY) AND MIGHT BE SELLING TO WB. WICH INCLUDES OTHER LICENSES OUT THERE BUT NOT IN DEPTH OF WHAT THEY WERE.

So right now, WB has both the comic book and video game rights? I guess the rumored Shadow Chronicles game is a bust (unless Tommy Yune and McKeever were able to sell to WB executives that Shadow Chronicles was a super hit and deserving of a videogame)

25TH ANIVERSARY WILL BE ROLLING OUT WITH MANNY(sic) CONS AROUND U.S.A. AND MAYBE PARTS OF THE WORLD.

USA, World... be afraid.

The final product probably won't meet their high expectations, especially if they're hoping for flawless.

I believe deep down, hardcore Robotech fans expect rubbish, Z-grade quality merchandise from Harmony Gold (sans WB for now)

A Comic Con exclusive 1/100 Roy Foker stealth VF-1S from DYRL? for about 30 bucks? Now I know where it's coming from, and it's not Yamato.

http://www.robotech.com/store/viewproduct.php?id=259

It's a freaking Toynami recolor! They're repackaging something they already sell at a premium, in limited quantities, and at an exclusive event. Oh, and it probably comes with a certificate of authenticity or a portrait of Roy Foker by Tommy Yune to make it worth more on eBay.

EDIT: And you also get the Strike Pack for your trouble.

Edited by Einherjar

A Comic Con exclusive 1/100 Roy Foker stealth VF-1S from DYRL? for about 30 bucks? Now I know where it's coming from, and it's not Yamato.

http://www.robotech.com/store/viewproduct.php?id=259

It's a freaking Toynami recolor! They're repackaging something they already sell at a premium, in limited quantities, and at an exclusive event. Oh, and it probably comes with a certificate of authenticity or a portrait of Roy Foker by Tommy Yune to make it worth more on eBay.

EDIT: And you also get the Strike Pack for your trouble.

HG knows how to fool lunatics as I can see. <_< Fooling lunatics is not that hard when you are playing the "nostalgia" (aka an*l) card anyway.

If it falls apart, and I believe it probably will, Tommy and Kevin will only retreat to their fortresses of crapulence once Warner and Maguire tell them it's been axed... odds are they won't bother telling Harmony Gold for a while anyway.

I doubt Tommy and Kevin are the only ones who discuss with Warner and Maquire directly about Robotech. The very founder and CEO of Harmony Gold, Frank Agrama has been a producer and writer for every Robotech so far and no doubt keeps taps on how the RLAM is doing as its not everyday something from HG's catalog gets a chance to become a hollywood blockbuster.

To give credit where it's due, they did issue a full refund for the horrid Maia Sterling Super Duper Shadow Fighter toy. happy.gif

Thats it! We just need to buy up all of HG's toys then complain that their broke to get full refunds from HG until they exhaust all their funds and abandon Robotech. I do have to admit it was nice of them to give the fans a full refund though.

The Cyclone you refer to is made by Beagle, and simply repackaged by Toynami. With the limited number of these that are out, the fact that they sell out isn't that epic, almost expected. Toynami's numbers have always reflected well with the Macross license, not as strong with any other. A $25 toy repaint is probably quite profitable for them, as people like the price point, a new paint scheme, and the molds and research are already done for the toy, so no R&D needed.

The Cyclone you refer to is made by Beagle, and simply repackaged by Toynami. With the limited number of these that are out, the fact that they sell out isn't that epic, almost expected. Toynami's numbers have always reflected well with the Macross license, not as strong with any other. A $25 toy repaint is probably quite profitable for them, as people like the price point, a new paint scheme, and the molds and research are already done for the toy, so no R&D needed.

If the stealth toys are being made by Toynami and have no additional R&D put into it, won't these exclusive toys be the same quality as the other Macross toys they've released? They'll still lose money if they turn out to be defective and the people who bought them ask for compensation.

The Toynami 1/100 scale toys aren't too bad, actually. They are simple, have many removable and swappable parts, and aren't as bad as the MPCs. Either way, I find it kinda cheap that they would use a scheme so similar to Yamatos though. If they were gonna do a "stealth version" they should've made it a bit more different in color scheme. Just my thoughts

Tommy is also a i-reporter for CNN. He won vouchers to the Michael Jackson Memorial.

This... certainly came out of left field. Uh... congrats on the tickets?

Amazing.jpg

Hey Tommy, instead of wasting time going to Anime Expo and Tribute shows, why don't stop ripping off from the Japanese and do something original for once? Stop turning Robotech into a cheap Battlestar knockoff! And while you're at it, stop exploiting fans to do your dirty work!

If you're one of the lucky folks who has a RobotechXTREEEME account, check out their image gallery.

http://www.robotechx.com/index.php?option=...&Itemid=137

Can anyone figure out why RobotechX moderator (MEMO) intentionally took a number of shots of the panel audience?

They'll still lose money if they turn out to be defective and the people who bought them ask for compensation.

Have faith in Toynami's Chinese partners. Their probably paying them slave wages, so there won't be much of an impact in their financial statements if the toy flops (which it won't, trust me).

I would've had a problem with it if he used the segment to promote Robotech or HG. Good for him for showing restraint, well, maybe except for the stuff in his cubicle.

EDIT: It's not really related to Robotech or HG anyway.

Edited by Einherjar

I would've had a problem with it if he used the segment to promote Robotech or HG. Good for him for showing restraint, well, maybe except for the stuff in his cubicle.

True. Its a pretty harmless video - although it practically screams (at least to naive Robotech fans) "Look! We're not screwing around! We're working on Shadow Rising!"

I always wondered what that dickhead looked like.

Screw him for taking a good storyline and wiping his ass with it (I'm talking about Eternity Comics' Macontent Uprisings).

Pretty harsh words, but that's plain as vanilla Tommy Yune for you. He can take remotely interesting ideas/premise and make them the most bland, derivative trash.

Can anyone figure out why RobotechX moderator (MEMO) intentionally took a number of shots of the panel audience?

I think he just wanted shots of all the Robotech fans filling the panel and he probably didn't want to use up all his digital film snaping shots of Tommy, Kevin, and their annual PowerPoint presentation.

A bit off topic, but does anyone know if their were any announcements at Anime Expo about WB's other anime adaption in the works, Gatchaman? I know a new trailer was revealed, but I am curious if its still set for a 2010 release or if the rumors are true that it has been pushed back to 2011.

HEHEHE

DANG.. ALREADY ANOTHER THREAD?

HI TO THE GUYS THAT I KNOW AND HI TO THE NEW....

chrisk

SIMPLE.. JUST AS SAME AS I TAKE AS MANNY PICS FOR MACROSS FANS AT MACROSS EVENTS..

FOR FANS OF BOTH WORLDS WHO CANT ATTEND THESE EVENTS OF MACROSS AND ROBOTECH AND GIVE THEM AS MUCH OF THE SHOW AS POSSIBLE. BEEN TAKING PICS OF MACROSS/ROBOTECH PANELS SINCE 2002 ALL ACROSS U.S.A. AND LATIN AMERICA.

WHATEVER THE USE... LIKE YOU HAVE USED THEM, IS WHAT COUNTS. HATE OR LOVE AT LEATS THEY GET USED AND GIVES FANS OF BOTH WORLDS AN IDEA WHATS GOING ON.

BTW, DO I NEED TO READ FROM THE START OF THIS THREAD FOR ANY CHANGES OR WE STILL IN LICENSING MOVIE DEBATE?

WILL HOPE TO SEE SOME OF YOU GUYS AT COMIC CON.

True. Its a pretty harmless video - although it practically screams (at least to naive Robotech fans) "Look! We're not screwing around! We're working on Shadow Rising!"

Funny you say that, because as of this posting it hasn't become a big deal with the fandom. People probably don't know about it yet, but knowing them it could become something, though morbid, in the next few hours/days. Maybe make a connection between Robotech, Tommy Yune, and Michael Jackson to make it relevant. But come on, it's an iReport, anyone can post there. To everyone else, he sounds like any other tech savvy nerd out there, and the flair in his work space helps the image. Too bad it's questionable whether or not he's actually doing work there anymore.

At least he knows when not to be a self promoter like Joseph Jackson.

Hey Tommy, instead of wasting time going to Anime Expo and Tribute shows, why don't stop ripping off from the Japanese and do something original for once? Stop turning Robotech into a cheap Battlestar knockoff! And while you're at it, stop exploiting fans to do your dirty work!

Hey, if you take the tribute shows and convention tour away from him, he won't have anything to do at all.

Since Harmony Gold isn't calling the shots on the live-action movie, he doesn't have anything to do on that front, and it's highly doubtful that they're actually doing anything about Shadow Rising. Maybe he's cooking up another plot-critical limited-edition comic book to tie Shadow Chronicles and Shadow Rising together, so they can keep the same level of storytelling quality... y'know, overlong intro cutscenes that explain nothing and go nowhere.

Funny you say that, because as of this posting it hasn't become a big deal with the fandom. People probably don't know about it yet, but knowing them it could become something, though morbid, in the next few hours/days. Maybe make a connection between Robotech, Tommy Yune, and Michael Jackson to make it relevant. But come on, it's an iReport, anyone can post there. To everyone else, he sounds like any other tech savvy nerd out there, and the flair in his work space helps the image. Too bad it's questionable whether or not he's actually doing work there anymore.

No doubt the fans will try to make something major of it.

I think he's probably spending his time harrassing Mark "Beast Master" Singer into doing a cameo voice for his new flash animation, i mean "movie."

No reason, I just get that vibe. Also, he probably spends his time dodging invisible pies, the nightmares that man must have :)

HEHEHE

DANG.. ALREADY ANOTHER THREAD?

HI TO THE GUYS THAT I KNOW AND HI TO THE NEW....

chrisk

SIMPLE.. JUST AS SAME AS I TAKE AS MANNY PICS FOR MACROSS FANS AT MACROSS EVENTS..

FOR FANS OF BOTH WORLDS WHO CANT ATTEND THESE EVENTS OF MACROSS AND ROBOTECH AND GIVE THEM AS MUCH OF THE SHOW AS POSSIBLE. BEEN TAKING PICS OF MACROSS/ROBOTECH PANELS SINCE 2002 ALL ACROSS U.S.A. AND LATIN AMERICA.

WHATEVER THE USE... LIKE YOU HAVE USED THEM, IS WHAT COUNTS. HATE OR LOVE AT LEATS THEY GET USED AND GIVES FANS OF BOTH WORLDS AN IDEA WHATS GOING ON.

BTW, DO I NEED TO READ FROM THE START OF THIS THREAD FOR ANY CHANGES OR WE STILL IN LICENSING MOVIE DEBATE?

WILL HOPE TO SEE SOME OF YOU GUYS AT COMIC CON.

Caps_Lock.jpg

Hey, if you take the tribute shows and convention tour away from him, he won't have anything to do at all.

Don't forget the 25th anniversary celebrations planned sporadically throughout the country up to next year. This might be the busiest and most costly year to come around since Shadow Chronicles came out. By busy, I mean more PowerPoint Presentations, same as usual rhetoric, and accommodating special guests at planned events. By costly, I mean more freebies to give away, really over priced stuff to sell, and other expenses that would probably be better spent on actually making something new to show.

Too bad the podcasters are no longer here to help them out.

Edited by Einherjar

RDF Underground, Space Station Liberty, Captain JLS, they've completely disappeared from the fandom. I assume they helped the fandom stay excited for Robotech, even getting a chance to interview the crew sometimes to invigorate everyone. With this being the 25th anniversary, you'd think their presence online would be extremely important for the online scene in addition to all the plans HG supposedly has since they've been enthusiastic supporters for the franchise. Also, because including them would cost nothing. The most you get these days is reports on anime sites and what's posted at rt.com or rtx.com.

Edited by Einherjar

Hmmm, well congrats I guess for getting to go to a funeral :blink: Not something I particularly like going to, even if a bunch of performers will be there. NOTE: I wonder why Tommy didn't mention taking his wife, and getting a babysitter? I feel bad for her.

The pics in the background seem to only be of RTSC and nothing new. Even if it was, they're just reusing the same 3D models from the first, maybe a couple new ones I'd guess, but still.

Neither of those podcasts was that great and podcasts die all the time when people get tired of putting in the necessary work.

Still, as the only people at the time doing something dedicated to Robotech, one or both of them were used by HG and co. as mouthpieces for what they were doing or wanted to do with the franchise. They probably won't be coming back to it anytime soon, but their sudden departure must have made an impact. Guess it's up to The New Generation to take their place.

It's up to Doug Bendo to lead thee flock as the one true prophet.

And when I vest my flashing sword And my hand takes hold in judgement I will take vengeance upon my Robotech enemies And I will repay those who hase Macross, O Lord raise me to Thy right hand And count me amoung Thy Otaku.

Whosoever shed last blood. By man shall his blood be shed. For immunity of god make he the man. Destroy all that which is Robotech. So that which is Macross may flourish. And I shall count thee amoung my favoured sheep. And you shall have the protection of all the angels in heaven.

Never shall innocent blood be shed. Yet the blood of the wicked shall flow like a river. The valkyries shall spread their blackened wings and be the vengeaful striking hammer of god.

Pretty harsh words, but that's plain as vanilla Tommy Yune for you. He can take remotely interesting ideas/premise and make them the most bland, derivative trash.

That's tame for me. After I read the first few issues of the new comic (after #0 that is), I wanted to lynch the man for what he did to Johnathan Wolff.