Robotech and HG License Debates

The book was written in large measure by fans (Vincent McHenry, Jon Switzer, and Pieter Thomassen), though the cover bears only Tommy Yune's name, and the announcement that the foreword was written by Carl Macek.

I heard rumors that fans worked on it, which was strange because I thought professionals are usually called in to work on official material like that.

Anyway, how much of the material mentioned in the art book was entirely new and not rehashes from Mospeada and etc.? Was there anything regarding cut material or stuff that the crew wanted to do with the film that could give hints about future works? Just wondering what they were trying to accomplish with Shadow Chronicles and where they wanted to go from here before the backlash(es).

I heard rumors that fans worked on it, which was strange because I thought professionals are usually called in to work on official material like that.

Prior to finding a copy, I'd assumed that Tommy Yune was the main author, and that Vincent McHenry had "consulted" on the book. When I actually got around to reading it, I was surprised to see that virtually none of it is by Tommy Yune, and most of it is copied wholesale from the Robotech.com Infopedia.

While the cover may proclaim that the book is by Tommy Yune with a foreword by Carl Macek, the truth of it is that there are four "contributing authors" who aren't mentioned except on the inside cover and at the back of the book, authors who appear to have been the ones to actually get the work done... Vincent McHenry (McHenry), Dr. Kenneth Olson, Jonathan L. Switzer (Captain JLS), and Pieter Thomassen... four fans whose devotion to the franchise eclipses their common sense.

Anyway, how much of the material mentioned in the art book was entirely new and not rehashes from Mospeada and etc.? Was there anything regarding cut material or stuff that the crew wanted to do with the film that could give hints about future works? Just wondering what they were trying to accomplish with Shadow Chronicles and where they wanted to go from here before the backlash(es).

A lot of the stuff in Carl Macek's foreword on the "creation" of Robotech is obvious stuff that you could find pretty much anywhere. Apart from some minimal details about the new characters and modified mecha, virtually none of the content is new or in any way original. A lot of it is content copied almost word-for-word from the Robotech.com Infopedia, and what little isn't copied from the Infopedia is all blindingly stupid statements of the obvious about stuff from the movie and the Prelude comics. Except for the excessive use of screen captures in the foreword, almost all of the art is new. The only sections that use Mospeada production lineart are those for the mecha and ships, which use the existing lineart as a reference point, and then show the 3D art (based on/modified from) it.

There is literally NOTHING in the book about cut material from the movie, or about the future direction for the series.

Edited by Seto Kaiba

I think the only new materials are the Haydonites and their ships and mecha and the Ark Angel. The rest are carry over from Mospeada and Sentinels. There were rumors i heard around 2006 that HG was planning a new Robotech TV series with Shadow Force serving as a pilot (kinda like Codename: Robotech was).

I am gonna have to say that this is one area where Shadow Rising triumphs Macross Frontier in my honest opinion cause I would dig Maia's ass over Sheryl's any day. Seriously Marcus has it made compared to Alto: no princess idol syndrome to deal with, no tangling in a love triangle, Maia can actually pilot and she doesn't look like an anorexic fashion model, and she tested negative for Vajira AIDs :lol:

but alto doesn't have to worry about the steroids making his testicles shrink.

Re: Mia's ass vs. Sheryl's ass and whether Alto has it better or worse off.

You know what's wrong with Mia's (or whatever her name is) character design? THE HAIR.

Yes -she has a great ass - but her hair is too short and breasts too small to fit that ass. It's a classic case of miss-match. Taken alone - that ass is golden. But put together with rather demure breasts and short care - no. And then look at her face - she so totally DOESN'T have the face to support short hair. Her eyes DEMAND long flowing hair - reaching down to that nice ass.

Sheryl - on the other hand - she has a tighter, firmer, less lush ass - true: but she also have a nice face, a MUCH BETTER SENSE OF STYLE (that is to say - look how many different outfits Sheryl gets for her design while Mia gets just that stupid flight suit, and she also SINGS better.

Pluss - her firm tight ass is the result of a fitness routine which in itself allows for an homage to DYRL Minmey who had the same short shorts we love on :)

But heck - even outside of this - even the uniforms themselves from TSC are terrible compared to Macross: Frontier.

But then again - this is probably because in Macross Frontier, SMS is a private military provider and there's actual thought put into the socio-economic and political landscape of the series. In Shadow Chronicles, it's just kind of a given that people still wear tight fitting jump suits and there really ISN'T any political or economic landscape to speak of. Just some dudes on a space ship fighting some red guys.... nothing more complex than that... Or - if it's there - it never comes into focus, and we never get a chance to see how it effects the main characters...

And last but not least: "Rick Hunter"...

Well - it looks kind of like they are very much effected by the classical Warner Brothers/Batman/Teen Titan design parameters. I kind of liked it in Batman, and I guess it was passable in Transformers: Animated - but in the end, I prefer what anime gives us; which is far more 'European' insofar as what you basically have is realism in terms of settings, background, clothes etc - and only faces are slightly charicatured to give them some character... this SHOULD remind some people of George Remis (known to the world as Herge) and his Tintin books, which employed pretty much the same standards.

Pete

Cos he doesn't have any? :lol:

Seriously, count me in with the Devil's advocates. As much as I detested Shadow Chronicles overall, just putting those last two images together side by side makes the Shadow Chronicle character designs so much more refined and stylish than the Macross Frontier ones. I saw the cartoon and the women's proportions were ridiculous, of course, but in this comparison, Sheryl and Michael look like cardboard cut-outs, compared to... er, whoever the SC guys are supposed to be. I suppose it comes down to the fact that I just don't like straight lines on humans, it looks unnatural. Sadly, a lot of modern anime is going down this path.

Yes -she has a great ass - but her hair is too short and breasts too small to fit that ass. It's a classic case of miss-match. Taken alone - that ass is golden. But put together with rather demure breasts and short care - no. And then look at her face - she so totally DOESN'T have the face to support short hair. Her eyes DEMAND long flowing hair - reaching down to that nice ass.

Okay, so Maia is a more useful version of Kim Kardashian in Robotech. You know the girl famous for having a big ass and a sex tape. :lol:

But seriously, like all the other characters introduced in Shadow Chronicles it would help if we knew more about who she is. Sheryl got an entire series and Maia got an incomplete film, tie-in comic, and a paragraph in an art book. All we know so far is that she's supposedly a Sterling daughter, an alien hybrid, a competent pilot, and has a noteworthy ass (but not a sex tape).

Unless THAT ass is one of the only things the crew wanted us to pay attention to while we waste time and money watching the thing.

The RDF are beef because they weight train a lot in the "Gravity Simulator" as part of their training regiment to take back the earth and the RDF must have a strict drug testing policy because they can't afford to have soldiers wasting any protoculutre just to get high.

Sheryl - on the other hand - she has a tighter, firmer, less lush ass - true: but she also have a nice face, a MUCH BETTER SENSE OF STYLE (that is to say - look how many different outfits Sheryl gets for her design while Mia gets just that stupid flight suit, and she also SINGS better.

Pluss - her firm tight ass is the result of a fitness routine which in itself allows for an homage to DYRL Minmey who had the same short shorts we love on smile.gif

But heck - even outside of this - even the uniforms themselves from TSC are terrible compared to Macross: Frontier.

But then again - this is probably because in Macross Frontier, SMS is a private military provider and there's actual thought put into the socio-economic and political landscape of the series. In Shadow Chronicles, it's just kind of a given that people still wear tight fitting jump suits and there really ISN'T any political or economic landscape to speak of. Just some dudes on a space ship fighting some red guys.... nothing more complex than that... Or - if it's there - it never comes into focus, and we never get a chance to see how it effects the main characters...

1. I think girls with short hair are sexy.

2. Who cares about style when the girls look better without clothes anyway.

3. While Maia can't sing, just shouting my name would be music to my ears.

4. What no messy politics to worry about? I just have to kill some reds and sleep all day count me in!

3. While Maia can't sing, just shouting my name would be music to my ears.

Ok, that's just creepy.

But for the sake of argument, which would you rather wake up to...

this

11sikgm.jpg

or this

347d1qs.jpg

Yeah, I thought so...

Also, I think we're all forgeting who the REAL good looking girls are in frontier

post-4286-1244917561_thumb.jpgpost-4286-1244917578_thumb.jpg

Edited by anime52k8

I know VFTF1 will disagree, but I think a lack of hot girls is one of the least of its worries. ^_^

Just to balance things out, there are also a lot of ugly men in Shadow Chronicles. I can't tell if they wanted to make almost every man in the RDF chunky or buff in those spandex uniforms. :lol:

Honestly, I think Risa Ebata and Yûichi Takahashi (I'm not sure who did with what) are not necessarily terrific artists, but they are great designers. The basic designs in Frontier are really solid and look great in the show and as done by other artists. This is similar to how the artwork from the Touhou series is pretty bland but the same character designs look good when done by other artists. By contrast the Shadow Chronicles designs are really bland and outdated. Their duty uniforms are laughable, combining the worst of modern skintight cheap-o scifi with some of the worst aspects of the old Mospeada designs such as their ridiculous collars.

Aside from the comic book character bodies, and the ridiculous uniform in Shadow Chronicles, the characters were somewhat decent. My issue with the female designs was the fact that Maia has a thick @$$, thick thighs and waist, but from there up, she's slim. She looks a little bottom heavy, like a girl that you can tell if she goes on an eating binge, she's gonna be the chunky one in a few years. Actually, Ariel kinda has the same problem, not as prominent, but the boob job she got, and the wannabe Marvel uniform was just stupid. For JANICE, if she wasn't an android or whatever, I'd say she was ready for child bearing too, and was about to balloon herself. I've seen plenty of anime characters that have curves, but it looks firm. Shadow Chronicles women don't look like that.

Macross F had better character designs, even with the females. They all may not have the super curves (although, points to Nanase, Grace, and Klan), but they don't look overly designed and "comic book-like" Don't go telling Tommy Yune that though, he'll probably blame the Koreans again.

My issue with the female designs was the fact that Maia has a thick @$$, thick thighs and waist, but from there up, she's slim. She looks a little bottom heavy, like a girl that you can tell if she goes on an eating binge, she's gonna be the chunky one in a few years.

The funny thing about the description is that IIRC those features were how the audience was introduced to Maia in the first place. She had no lines and the film just had a shot of her bent over showing off her assets while working on a plane. Of course it was from Marcus's POV, but still an awkward introduction for the character she turned out to be unless it was a shout-out to her sister's, Dana, antics.

Ok, that's just creepy.

Getting wild and into it isn't creepy, its just great sexy fun. :D

But for the sake of argument, which would you rather wake up to...

Not really fair comparison shots considering the huge difference in lighting and mood. I also have to say that any girl would look great with a smile cast in a soft blue light. ^_^

QUOTE (Ginrai @ Jun 13 2009, 04:29 PM) *

I'd rather wake up next to a real woman, thanks.

NEEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRDS!

Sounds to me like someone is just jealous that someone would rather sleep with women like this:

2053094.jpg

Over a fictious woman like her:

av-1819.png

:lol: :lol: :lol:

This Macross sex topic has given me an idea. Lets start start a new thread where you not only say which Macross character you would do, but when and where. It could turn out to be quite funny and at the very least it will be something other then just recycling jokes and taking crack shots at RT and HG for eternity.

Edited by Freiflug88

I think the only new materials are the Haydonites and their ships and mecha and the Ark Angel. The rest are carry over from Mospeada and Sentinels.

Nah, there's a few more... there's the Haydonite ship, their two mecha ("Wraith" and "Infiltrator"), the super parts for the Shadow fighter and Shadow beta, the VR-057 "Super Cyclone", the Icarus, and the Ark Angel.

But seriously, like all the other characters introduced in Shadow Chronicles it would help if we knew more about who she is. Sheryl got an entire series and Maia got an incomplete film, tie-in comic, and a paragraph in an art book.

Actually, she didn't even get that much.

Maia Sterling appeared in two, maybe three, panels of the Robotech: Prelude to the Shadow Chronicles comics, and only then in the epilogue of the final issue. All she really has to her credit is the incomplete film and that one short paragraph in Art of Robotech: the Shadow Chronicles.

Unless THAT ass is one of the only things the crew wanted us to pay attention to while we waste time and money watching the thing.

That's exactly it... it seems they expect that, if nothing else, the sex appeal of Maia, Janice, and Ariel will endear them to the movie's target audience... teenage anime viewers. The Shadow Chronicles movie was never targeted at the fanbase in general, the stated goal was to use it to bring new, younger fans into the franchise. So of course, since the average anime fan has nothing but contempt for Robotech, they had to try and appeal to the next best thing... the teenagers with holes in their pockets.

Just to balance things out, there are also a lot of ugly men in Shadow Chronicles. I can't tell if they wanted to make almost every man in the RDF chunky or buff in those spandex uniforms. :lol:

Remember... prior to Robotech, Tommy Yune's chief credentials were drawing for Superman and Danger Girl... that's just what he does...

It could turn out to be quite funny and at the very least it will be something other then just recycling jokes and taking crack shots at RT and HG for eternity.

We're not exactly planning to do this for eternity, Freiflug88. We're just killing time until Warner Brothers releases the Live Action Movie... oh wait. :blink:

I'd rather wake up next to a real woman, thanks.

So I'm guessing... you don't own these pillows?

Pillo.jpg

(last I heard, currently out of stock at reputable online retailers...)

I stumbled upon this thread at Robotech.com:

Well I thot I would never openly admit this but I decided to peek into the Macross world and see what the hype is all about and what is generating all the hatred to us Robotech fans (I say that in a nice way because I see how Macross fans continues to insult us fans and HG at Youtube in the comments) and I was wondering if anyone has a link to a site that allows me to watch some parts of certain Macross episodes and movies on s Playstation 3?,I never got a home computer yet so I just watch what I can.

Other notable quotes from fans:

I still explore the Macross world to get my Zentradi fix, but I'll never convert. Not when there's Robotech apocrypha around that also holds my interest.

LINK: http://www.robotech.com/community/forum/re...&forumid=24

Keep up the good PR work, Seto!

It could turn out to be quite funny and at the very least it will be something other then just recycling jokes and taking crack shots at RT and HG for eternity.

We're not exactly planning to do this for eternity, Freiflug88. We're just killing time until Warner Brothers releases the Live Action Movie... oh wait. blink.gif

What may be an eternity to man is a moment for god.

I have no need for hesitation. ~Krelian

Pillo.jpg

(last I heard, currently out of stock at reputable online retailers...)

Erotic pillow covers for the horny otakus sold out, that is hard to believe...

Its ironic that we were all making a big deal of HG using superhero character designs as sex appeal to sell Shadow Chronicles to teenagers when Big West has been marketing a variety of erotic supplementary material.

Just take a look at the Macross Frontier CD singles that were censored in stores for their erotic covers. What's also amusing is the fact that the CDs are advertised with the AD:

"Hey, the nose art stickers are ERO!

Ranka’s not wearing any (pantsu)…

Sheryl seems like she’s egging us on….

You’ve got to buy these stickers!"

No mention of the SONGS. Just buy the CDs for the erotic artwork to frap to and toss out the CDs.

I mean its one thing to complain about HG using sex appeal to help market the Shadow Chronicles, but I haven't seen them make any shred of erotic material to sell on the side since the Robotech Sentienls Winter Wonderland Special way back in 1995. There isn't even a miniature figure of the sexy Maia Sterling to go along with her pink shadow fighter. Compare that to all the erotic PVC figures and pillows marketed by Big West. Yet when erotic Macross stuff is sold we laugh, when its Robotech that is being erotic we complain that the guys at HG are horribly perverted. Where is the fairness in that?

http://www.sankakucomplex.com/wp-content/g...23-3082zaio.jpg

Edited by Freiflug88

I stumbled upon this thread at Robotech.com:

LINK: http://www.robotech.com/community/forum/re...&forumid=24

Keep up the good PR work, Seto!

Same guy in both cases...

Pizza the Hutt, formerly known as Wraith_Knight, was hating on Macross because he'd had some bad experiences with Macross fans criticizing Robotech, and he didn't know anything about Macross beyond the existence of the original series and DYRL. I filled him in on what he was missing, explained some of the more common reasons why Macross fans criticize Robotech, and hooked him up with DYRL. He numbers among the Macross faithful now. I totally misjudged him, when he's not all defensive, he's actually a pretty cool guy too.

*puts down his bazooka*

I am the great communicator...

Edited by Seto Kaiba

I haven't seen them make any shred of erotic material to sell on the side since the Robotech Sentienls Winter Wonderland Special way back in 1995.

That was awesome. Still, I don't get it...

Disturbance.jpg

... Why was stuff like that so popular in the 90's? Poor Frakes...

Erotic pillow covers for the horny otakus sold out, that is hard to believe...

It's a hugging pillow, around ¥10,500.

There's another design as well, if you're interested:

Ebay Link: http://cgi.ebay.com.sg/new-beauty-Macross-...5QQcmdZViewItem

Its ironic that we were all making a big deal of HG using superhero character designs as sex appeal to sell Shadow Chronicles to teenagers when Big West has been marketing a variety of erotic supplementary material.

I'm going to speculate that if Macross was actually distributed in the States, Bandai Fashion/BW wouldn't dare sell it there...

... Yet when erotic Macross stuff is sold we laugh, when its Robotech that is being erotic we complain that the guys at HG are horribly perverted. Where is the fairness in that?

It's the beauty of the thing. When certain conservative Robo-fans started chiming in on the big boobed characters of Shadow Chronicles, Tommy Yune quickly passed the blame on his horny Korean animation partners. Didn't even have the balls to say he drew up those initial designs. Whereas the Japanese are pretty unapologetic about their kinky-kinks...

Also, I believe majority of Robotech fans aren't into anime, have a thing for "realism". :wacko:

I totally misjudged him, when he's not all defensive, he's actually a pretty cool guy too.

Now I know why you stay at Robotech.com...

Edited by chrisk

I mean its one thing to complain about HG using sex appeal to help market the Shadow Chronicles, but I haven't seen them make any shred of erotic material to sell on the side since the Robotech Sentienls Winter Wonderland Special way back in 1995. There isn't even a miniature figure of the sexy Maia Sterling to go along with her pink shadow fighter. Compare that to all the erotic PVC figures and pillows marketed by Big West. Yet when erotic Macross stuff is sold we laugh, when its Robotech that is being erotic we complain that the guys at HG are horribly perverted. Where is the fairness in that?

I always thought HG wanted to turn Robotech into a giant space opera, no nonsense epic or something of that nature over the years; more Star Trek, Star Wars and etc. references/derivatives added in addition to whatever was there originally whenever they could. But to put more focus on boobs and the like on an official animated film which is meant to be seen by the entire fandom, not just people willing to pay money for supplemental in comics or sci-fi novels to continue the story, it's kind of a step back. The comic book stuff I can understand because, despite what people say, it's mostly additional merchandise overseen by the creator(s) but mostly done by other people. They shouldn't be taken as seriously since all of this began with animation, which is now the story ironically with that and the novels non-canon.

Also, HG doesn't have the money or guts to give it the Japanese merchandise treatment. Guess that's why the most you'll see from HG themselves are mugs, t-shirts, and key chains. Why do you think they bring over toys and stuff made by other companies months later rather than make original things?

EDIT: I don't know if the Macross crew made any promises like that. It might be why sequels are all over the place in terms of mood.

Edited by Einherjar

The thing with the sexy characters is that if you're gonna try and emulate Japan's usage of boobs for dollars then you have to do it well. Having every female character share the same weird body type right down the disinterested background bridge lady is like the director saying, "look! hawt babes everywhere! you want this right?" The characters in Shadow Chronicles seem to be complete oblivious to how they look outside of "i like ur patch huurrr." And it doesn't help that main lead Maia has two outfits, neither of which are terribly interesting. Guess what guys? The demographics in anime and manga have shifted to having a much larger female proportion (something like 40% for Shonen Jump readers last I heard) and like my friend Bea would say, "girls like pretty things!" You don't get cosplayers to watch your poo with stuffy jumpsuits and outdated armor.

I'm not an internet tough guy. I never threatened to beat anyone up, which is exactly what we are talking about here.

Just a joke. Don't Panic.

Taksraven

This Macross sex topic has given me an idea. Lets start start a new thread where you not only say which Macross character you would do, but when and where. It could turn out to be quite funny and at the very least it will be something other then just recycling jokes and taking crack shots at RT and HG for eternity.

And there would be puritans screaming for such a thread to be shut down, so its not worth the effort. (Yes, I am still pissed off about the "sexiest moment in Frontier" or whatever the hell thread it was I started that was shut down. Not that it was closed, but because of the reason it was closed)

Taksraven

Nobody makes fun of Drill Asamin and gets away with it. Oh mai waifu.

Who is Drill Asamin? All I get from google is 'Did you mean: drill osama" :lol:

t's a hugging pillow, around ¥10,500.

There's another design as well, if you're interested:

Ebay Link: http://cgi.ebay.com.sg/new-beauty-Macross-...5QQcmdZViewItem

To paraphase the ebay description:

"A (( 抱き枕カバー dakimakura)) is a kind of large pillow from Japan. The name means "hugging pillow"; they are similar in shape to body pillows in the west." Usually pictures of young anime girls are used blah,blah... "Some of these printed dakimakura can be considered love pillows."

Right... the two-sided Ranka pillow with one side that shows Ranka bottomless is just a hugging pillow. I'd love to see some otaku who buy these pillows tell that to the women in their lives. :lol:

I think these $100+ erotic pillows most sell though with the nerds who live don't do their own laundry and wouldn't see the logic in just ironing a printed design of their choice onto a $30 pillow.

Also, I believe majority of Robotech fans aren't into anime, have a thing for "realism". wacko.gif

No doubt. I mean Robotech has got to be just the most realistic cartoon of all time. With 30 foot tall humanoid aliens with bones denser then titanium that actually move, lush Amazon forests that regrow from scorched earth in less then 2 years, a city that can be rebuilt like new with no visible sign of damage from scrap in mere days, and thermonuclear hallengentic planets with no obvious side effects on peoples health.

And there would be puritans screaming for such a thread to be shut down, so its not worth the effort. (Yes, I am still pissed off about the "sexiest moment in Frontier" or whatever the hell thread it was I started that was shut down. Not that it was closed, but because of the reason it was closed)

Funny how it works that discussing sex issues in Macross is a big no-no, but posting erotic pictures of Macross and Robotech girls and discussing them is not.

Also, I believe majority of Robotech fans aren't into anime, have a thing for "realism". :wacko:

I'm not even going to ask how they made that work. Knowing that there's another original version of each Robotech era out there is as far away from realism as you can get.

I think these $100+ erotic pillows most sell though with the nerds who live don't do their own laundry and wouldn't see the logic in just ironing a printed design of their choice onto a $30 pillow.

Have you seen Genshiken?

No doubt. I mean Robotech has got to be just the most realistic cartoon of all time. With 30 foot tall humanoid aliens with bones denser then titanium that actually move, lush Amazon forests that regrow from scorched earth in less then 2 years, a city that can be rebuilt like new with no visible sign of damage from scrap in mere days, and thermonuclear hallucinogenic planets with no obvious side effects on peoples health.

You also forgot how the plucky heroes of Shadow Chronicles escaped a black hole using "technobabble"... Ah, screw it!

According to Wikipedia:

Suspension of disbelief or "willing suspension of disbelief" is a formula devised by the poet and aesthetic philosopher Samuel Taylor Coleridge to justify the use of fantastic or non-realistic elements in literature. Coleridge suggested that if a writer could infuse a "human interest and a semblance of truth" into a fantastic tale, the reader would suspend judgment concerning the implausibility of the narrative...It might be used to refer to the willingness of the audience to overlook the limitations of a medium, so that these do not interfere with the acceptance of those premises. According to the theory, suspension of disbelief is a quid pro quo: the audience tacitly agrees to provisionally suspend their judgment in exchange for the promise of entertainment. These fictional premises may also lend to the engagement of the mind and perhaps proposition of thoughts, ideas, art and theories.

The most powerful defense of any Robotech fan on the "realism" of the beloved continuity. ^_^

Seriously, Tommy Yune believed big-breasted characters would sell to casual, conservative Robotech fans. Sorta didn't considering the "backlash".

Kinda... sorta... the same thing happened when Lucas approved professional artists to render "sexy Jedis" in recent years.

Jedi_Babes_by_AdamHughes.jpg

Edited by chrisk

Have you seen Genshiken?

Never even heard of it till now. According to wikpediai its about some college otaku students and it sounds like a manga Otaku no Video to me. Let me guess you think I got the ironing idea from Genshikien? I am curious if I should checkout this manga now.

I'm not even going to ask how they made that work. Knowing that there's another original version of each Robotech era out there is as far away from realism as you can get.

I don't think its the realism that really grips Robotech fans. Its the fact that its a well animated show (due to its japanese origins) with a decent English dub that typical western cartoon fans who aren't into watching subs can enjoy. The realism that draws fan isn't from the visuals but from the English VAs who sound realistic. It also doesn't help that Macross, the only Robotech anime that ADV dubbed, sounds absolutely horrible dubbed in English with cheesy Voice acting and sound effects and I am not talking about Mari Ijama's english either.

Edit:

You also forgot how the plucky heroes of Shadow Chronicles escaped a black hole using "technobabble"... Ah, screw it!

I didn't even want to get to mentioning Shadow Shronicles. I also don't want to criticize that blackhole sequence after watching the episode of the Stargate Atlantis/SG-1 crossover episode where there was a space fight with a Wraith cruiser over the disc of a black hole with little sign of actually being pulled by the black hole with engines on full power, in Shadow Chronicles at least it was used to dramatic effect that they were getting sucked in despite engines being set to max.

Edited by Freiflug88