Robotech and HG License Debates

It also doesn't help that Macross, the only Robotech anime that ADV dubbed, sounds absolutely horrible dubbed in English with cheesy Voice acting and sound effects and I am not talking about Mari Ijama's english either.

I agree, it was a totally wasted opportunity. I was so disappointed to see all the actors screw every single line up, and only Mari could pronounce the word "Macross" properly! And why is everyone (again, except Mari) shouting their lungs out ALL OF THE TIME? Bizarre.

But the worst thing has to be the language in the show. If they made the dialogue and acting cheesy to appeal to a younger demographic (which I have no problem with, that is the main reason I can justify a dub in the first place), then what's with all the swearing? And it's out of character, too. I never expected Claudia to say "That Minmay, she's a biaotch!"

And those additional "pew pew" 80s laser sound effects they added to "enhance" the 5.1 mix...

The final nail in the coffin is that you cannot even enjoy the original Japanese audio on the DVD because the version they have included is in such terrible condition. I heard they could not license the new remasters Animeigo did, or something, I dunno.

Seriously, it's like they had to screw it up on purpose so that Robotech would remain the superior dub and they would still have product to sell. That's the only explanation!

Part of the problem is that the big chain store Best Buy would not carry anime if it did not have some kind of 5.1 track and a dub track. Of course this places the burden on publishers like ADV to make 5.1 dub tracks for shows made way back before even stereo was widespread. I also think that updating the sound in any way tends to make the show seem older as now you've got a crazy complex effects track with 1980's TV visuals. It just doesn't mesh.

And those additional "pew pew" 80s laser sound effects they added to "enhance" the 5.1 mix...

The final nail in the coffin is that you cannot even enjoy the original Japanese audio on the DVD because the version they have included is in such terrible condition. I heard they could not license the new remasters Animeigo did, or something, I dunno.

If ADV couldn't get the license for the remastered audio that explains why they had to replace iconic "buzzsaw" gunfire with pew lasers. In ADV's Gatchman dub all the music and most of the sound effects are the same, but they do sound a little "washed" from the conversion process to 5.1 stereo. One would think that if they could get a hold of the Macross songs they would be able to obtain the sound effects as well or, at the very least edit sound recordings of a real buzz saw over generic pew lasers.

Part of the problem is that the big chain store Best Buy would not carry anime if it did not have some kind of 5.1 track and a dub track. Of course this places the burden on publishers like ADV to make 5.1 dub tracks for shows made way back before even stereo was widespread. I also think that updating the sound in any way tends to make the show seem older as now you've got a crazy complex effects track with 1980's TV visuals. It just doesn't mesh.

Not surprising considering that 5.1 audio would be required considering

a) having a 5.1 English track looks great advertised on paper

b) Only dubbed animation is shown on TV here in America, because no network wants to broadcast subbed anime and there would be no future for the VA industry if all anime were simplying shown subbed as is

b) Only dubbed animation is shown on TV here in America, because no network wants to broadcast subbed anime and there would be no future for the VA industry if all anime were simplying shown subbed as is

I don't think they intended to show the Macross TV series anywhere on the U.S. except maybe The Anime Network owned by ADV Films. HG's always holding out to show Robotech anywhere to prevent that from happening. It was another reissue of the series so they had to offer something new to get people to buy it again. Too bad they didn't have Animeigo standards when they worked on the thing from scratch. Just like what happened with Shadow Chronicles, maybe they should have spent more money on quality control and stuff that really mattered rather than getting big name icons on board for VA work and marketing purposes.

Edited by Einherjar

Not surprising considering that 5.1 audio would be required considering

a) having a 5.1 English track looks great advertised on paper

The problem with asking for 5.1 audio is that its a double standard especially for older shows. I'm sure Best Buy wasn't demanding they redo M*A*S*H with a 5.1 track. Those M*A*S*H DVD sets have three language tracks all with monaural sound. It forces companies into an unfortunate envelope of cost-benefit. Sure you can spend the time and money (time being the biggest killer since anime fans always want it now) and get it into the big chain stores but really how well was Aura Battler Dunbine going to sell? Even advertising is a double edged sword since you can put all the whiz bang effects into a trailer but at the end of the day you're still trying to sell old animation to the Bleach/Naruto crowd. And as Cartoon Network proved mecha shows are widely panned by viewers anyway.

Robotech's biggest advantage was that it was dubbed and finished years ago. All they had to do was re-master it (well the second or third time right?) and press out some boxsets. I've heard that much of the problems with the Macross dub in terms of directing and pronunciation were deliberate. The ADR director was Matt Greenfield, the same guy who did the subpar Megazone 23 dubs with all the fake 80's slang. He seems to be all about the gimmicks for these dubs. The gimmick for MZ 23 was 80's slang and keeping the same voice actors through all three parts whereas in Macross the gimmick was Mari Ijima. Of course both came out having that awful staccato acting and weird dialog changes.

The ADR director was Matt Greenfield, the same guy who did the subpar Megazone 23 dubs with all the fake 80's slang. He seems to be all about the gimmicks for these dubs. The gimmick for MZ 23 was 80's slang and keeping the same voice actors through all three parts whereas in Macross the gimmick was Mari Ijima. Of course both came out having that awful staccato acting and weird dialog changes.

When you think about it, the only thing they had to do was do the job Carl Macek was supposed to do, for both, years ago and they still screwed up. Someone from HG had to have been involved to have it turn out like that. I couldn't care less since dubs aren't my thing anymore, so fixing original audio and visual problems are a bigger priority for me (fixing as in improving quality, not adding unnecessary flair).

Edited by Einherjar

The problem with asking for 5.1 audio is that its a double standard especially for older shows. I'm sure Best Buy wasn't demanding they redo M*A*S*H with a 5.1 track. Those M*A*S*H DVD sets have three language tracks all with monaural sound. It forces companies into an unfortunate envelope of cost-benefit. Sure you can spend the time and money (time being the biggest killer since anime fans always want it now) and get it into the big chain stores but really how well was Aura Battler Dunbine going to sell? Even advertising is a double edged sword since you can put all the whiz bang effects into a trailer but at the end of the day you're still trying to sell old animation to the Bleach/Naruto crowd. And as Cartoon Network proved mecha shows are widely panned by viewers anyway.

I would think it would be a standard policy for Best Buy to require 5.1 on all DVD releases, but considering the case of the M*A*S*H DVDs I am thinking they either made an exception for the popular or they have a grandfather clause on DVDs sets released before a certain date.

I think that honestly Anime distrubition companies shouldn't bother dubbing any series in English 5.1 unless they are licensing the to be broadcast on Cartoon Network or some other channel. I don't see any reason in spending loads of cash to dub classic anime in 5.1 just so it can be put on Best Buy shelves and ignored by the Bleach/Naruto crowd other then as an excuse to pay Voice Actors and increase the price of DVDs.

Advertising old animation to the Bleach/Naruto crowd would be marketing sucide. World Events was smart and evoked memories of the popular Voltron before giving a taste of what was missing: .

I have to disagree with Cartoon Network proving that mecha shows are widely panned by viewers. Granted not all mecha shows have done well, but that is the same with anime of any genre. Several Mecha shows have had tremendous success on CN though such as Gundams Wing and Seed, Eureka Seven, Code Gease, Big O, and of course Robotech. I also know that the only reason the second season of Big O was even finished was because of its large popularity in the US thanks to its CN broadcast. It did poorly in Japan, but was popular with Cartoon Network who saw it as watching Bruce Wayne with a super robot instead of a Batman costume. So Cartoon Network, Sunrise, and Bandai Visual co-produced the second season so they would have the final episodes to show to American viewers. Perhaps your thinking of the negative reception to Cartoon's Network Super Robot Week Event from years back?

Of course with Carl Macek as an executive at ADV since 2000, and several of his previous HG buddies at ADV along with him with there was little reason to aim for a decent Macross dub to truly compete with Robotech's dub. <_<

Edited by Freiflug88

Big O was always the exception primarily because it's different from most mecha shows. SEED and Geass did pretty poorly in America as evident by the fact they were both pushed into incredibly late time slots. Eureka 7 and Wing both came and gone. I wasn't even aware Eureka 7 made a splash at all.

I have nothing against sexualizing anime. I think all life needs to be sexualized everywhere all the time.

As for the pillows - I'd definitely get them if I could squeeze 'em into my budget :(

As for character designs in Shadow Chronicles... I dunno... what can I say? Hmm... look - in SDF-M and DYRL, it was obvious that despite the series/movie being set in the "future" most of the clothing was inspired by 70s/80s fashion. Macross Frontier takes a lot of inspiration from our contemporary fashion. Just like the SDFM/DYRL political landscape was inspired by the politics of the time - so you see a lot of political commentary in MF - despite the series being way out into the "future."

To show that I am not a blind "all that is Macross design is holy" person - I'll be the first to admit that while I very much enjoy the STORY of Macross 7, I think lots of the fashion wear is horrible, particularly Mylene's concert...suite?...

But the problem with Shadow Chronicles is not that it's unenjoyable because the designs are bad - it's just unenjoyable period. There are no redeeming features - except maybe that it ends at some point.

Pete

The venues Cartoon Network used to show anime have took a hit as well. Toonami closed shop last year and Adult Swim has never been the same since the anime boom stopped. Alternatives for showing new anime on U.S. TV are now the Sci-Fi Channel at a late hour, premium movie channels, On Demand services, and The Anime Network, which isn't available everywhere and is a premium channel. In fact, I'm legitimately surprised Shadow Chronicles hasn't been shown on the Sci-Fi channel to monopolize on BSG's run. Though with the similarities between the two, people might think it ripped BSG off.

And isn't Carl Macek with Viz Media working on the Bleach anime? I heard he got fired years ago by someone, but how can he still be involved with ADV?

Edited by Einherjar

Big O was always the exception primarily because it's different from most mecha shows. SEED and Geass did pretty poorly in America as evident by the fact they were both pushed into incredibly late time slots. Eureka 7 and Wing both came and gone. I wasn't even aware Eureka 7 made a splash at all.

Judging by the large number of used Seed and Eureka 7 DVDs I have seen for resale at cons lately, I know that must have created at least a small splash to have gotten people to buy the DVDs in the first place. Honestly though without the actual viewer data from Cartoon Network there is no real accurate way to tell how big a splash the mecha shows made compared to other anime titles. Current scheduling aren't accurate indicators as popular titles of all genres have been dropped in favor of newer titles. I have also heard that Adult Swim started arranging their newer and popular titles to be shown at later times a long time ago when they noticed that viewers would watch the one or two anime shows they wanted to see and then turn off the tube. With the new and popular anime moved to the back many viewers are forced to sit though reruns before they seeing their favorite shows and that equals more advertising dollars for Adult Swim.

I think its safe to assume though that anime in America that are broadcasted on Cartoon Network are generally much more successful then anime that isn't.

Edited by Freiflug88

As for the pillows - I'd definitely get them if I could squeeze 'em into my budget sad.gif

I suggest a DIY project with the pillow. Any design you want for much less.

The venues Cartoon Network used to show anime have took hit as well. Toonami closed shop last year and Adult Swim has never been the same since the anime boom stopped. Alternatives for showing new anime on U.S. TV are now the Sci-Fi Channel at a late hour, premium movie channels, On Demand services, and The Anime Network, which isn't available anywhere and is a premium channel. In fact, I'm legitimately surprised Shadow Chronicles hasn't been shown on the Sci-Fi channel to monopolize on BSG's run. Though with the similarities between the two, people might think it ripped BSG off.

And isn't Carl Macek with Viz Media working on the Bleach anime? I heard he got fired years ago by someone, but how can he still be involved with ADV?

Toonami the TV block and the anime boom on Adult Swims were ended on the whims of network executives at Cartoon Network. The toonami jetstream only offered Blue Dragon, Zach Bell, Naruto and was hardly a serious effort.

I didn't hear anything about Carl being fired and moving to Viz Media, but then again I don't follow Bleach or the anime industry. I should have been more specific. My point is that the anime industry is like a big frat due to the personal connections between the big guys in the anime business. After Robotech quite a number of the Robotech crew moved on to Satellite or ADV, its no surprise that ADV has been licensed by Harmony Gold to re-release Carl's old projects: Megazone 23, Macross, and Robotech. With that in mind its easy to see why Macross was given a subpar dub by Matt Greenfield as a way to appease to Macross fans without seriously competing with Harmony Gold's Robotech. After all why would dievoted fans chose Robotech if a Macross dub were available to them with the familiar VAs performing their Macross counterparts to music that was actually in sync.

All this talk about the declining anime industry in the States is pretty depressing, and the talk about how it needs a "Hollywood hit" is even worse. *sigh* :unsure:

According to wikpediai its about some college otaku students and it sounds like a manga Otaku no Video to me. Let me guess you think I got the ironing idea from Genshikien? I am curious if I should checkout this manga now.

That show opened my eyes alright... Wish I can go to one of those doushinji convention thingies... :lol:

But the problem with Shadow Chronicles is not that it's unenjoyable because the designs are bad - it's just unenjoyable period. There are no redeeming features - except maybe that it ends at some point.

Hehe, I remember some fans speculating based on Tommy Yune's comments that they would try to link Robotech: Shadow Rising with the LAM...

I suggest a DIY project with the pillow. Any design you want for much less.

You can try finding wallscrolls as well.

This might be a sign of WB's priorities for the near future.

Good. No Robotech:LAM = No Shadow Rising

Or so they say...

I looked for more stuff about the Licensing International Expo and it sounds like it would have been a good opportunity for HG to do something for Robotech. Since they haven't posted any news about it yet, I'm guessing it was another missed opportunity they couldn't pay to send a rep to.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Licensing_Show

The previous news post may also be a spoiler for what HG will reveal at this year's convention tour; they're still working on the script, have some more toys.

This might be a sign of WB's priorities for the near future.

Expect To See More Of The Same In 2010

This just means there will be few if any "artsy flims" and more action flicks made from movie adaptions of familiar franchises. In all honestly there is no way to know for sure how the execs at WB percive Robotech's a popularity as a franchise. Thouogh with the Live Action Akira movie dead things are looking darker for the LA Robotech. http://io9.com/5290575/live-action-akira-film-is-dead

I looked for more stuff about the Licensing International Expo and it sounds like it would have been a good opportunity for HG to do something for Robotech. Since they haven't posted any news about it yet, I'm guessing it was another missed opportunity they couldn't pay to send a rep to.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Licensing_Show

The previous news post may also be a spoiler for what HG will reveal at this year's convention tour; they're still working on the script, have some more toys

I won't be surprised if HG representatives have been attendees of the Exbo in the past as its a short flight from LA to Vegas and attendee registration is free before May 29 and only $50 at the door. I doubt the real issue is lack of money for the registration fee for exhibition booths, its the fact that they barely have anything original to show and license out to interested parties at the expo. If the Robotech LAM is made though this will likely be the place Warner Bros would exhibit their reimagined Robotech designs for those interested in merchandising toys.

to

Edited by Freiflug88

I doubt the real issue is lack of money for the registration fee for exhibition booths, its the fact that they barely have anything original to show and license out to interested parties at the expo. If the Robotech LAM is made though this will likely be the place Warner Bros would exhibit their reimagined Robotech designs for those interested in merchandising toys.

It would've been a good, practical approach to work on Robotech's future, but I'm guessing they want something that gets more exposure to announce anything (that is, if they actually have somethingto talk about).

For those savvy in the entertainment industry, what is the biggest promotional event anywhere in the world that's best to premiere or hype about something like the LAMR? Is Comic-Con or Anime Expo the best you can get?

In all honestly there is no way to know for sure how the execs at WB perceive Robotech's a popularity as a franchise.

Somehow, when I ponder this, all that comes to mind is Maguire Entertainment filing a lawsuit against Harmony Gold for fraudulent misrepresentation of the Robotech live-action movie license. I can't help but think that Harmony Gold might've... exaggerated... Robotech's popularity and the live-action movie's prospects a bit, in much the same way that Robotech.com moderators and staffers like Maverick_LSC and Kevin McKeever do on the message boards.

Then again, Cerberus Capital Management let the Daimler group off the hook after they supposedly misrepresented the state of Chrysler, so who knows? If it's one of those things where you have to prove deception and/or malice, it'll be in court forever, since Harmony Gold's employees and volunteer staffers have started believing their own lies.

I doubt the real issue is lack of money for the registration fee for exhibition booths, its the fact that they barely have anything original to show and license out to interested parties at the expo.

Isn't it really a matter of them having nothing at all to show and/or license out to interested parties?

With the live-action Robotech movie still very much a "what if" rather than a certainty, and Robotech: Shadow Rising mired in pre-production, I can't quite see them having anything new to peddle. I suspect that they probably signed over the merchandising rights to the live-action movie to Maguire Entertainment in exchange for royalties, and this early in the game, there isn't even a script, let alone mechanical or character designs to peddle to the toymakers. They're not known to be working on any new comics, novels, etc. and it's unlikely that they'll part with their usual toy manufacturers for the Shadow Rising toys, if any are ever produced.

Somehow, when I ponder this, all that comes to mind is Maguire Entertainment filing a lawsuit against Harmony Gold for fraudulent misrepresentation of the Robotech live-action movie license.

I highly doubt that would ever happen. First off, no one knows if Warner Bros/Maguire Entertainment is content with their license. Second, if WB/ME does feel that they were deceived, the burden of proof would fall on WB/ME, not Harmony Gold. WB/ME would have to prove, beyond a doubt, that HG materially misrepresented themselves. That would be difficult to prove if HG claimed that it was just a misunderstanding. Third, WB/ME's legal fees could easily outweigh their initial investment.

I highly doubt that would ever happen. First off, no one knows if Warner Bros/Maguire Entertainment is content with their license. Second, if WB/ME does feel that they were deceived, the burden of proof would fall on WB/ME, not Harmony Gold. WB/ME would have to prove, beyond a doubt, that HG materially misrepresented themselves. That would be difficult to prove if HG claimed that it was just a misunderstanding. Third, WB/ME's legal fees could easily outweigh their initial investment.

Exactly. And WB & Maguire Entertainment can just sit on the license if they don't want to proceed. Eventually, the license will expire and revert back to HG, at which time, HG can go shopping again. Why go through the courts when you can just sit on a project. If they don't want to spend the time and money to produce, they can sit on it. Happens all the time.

Exactly. And WB & Maguire Entertainment can just sit on the license if they don't want to proceed. Eventually, the license will expire and revert back to HG, at which time, HG can go shopping again. Why go through the courts when you can just sit on a project. If they don't want to spend the time and money to produce, they can sit on it. Happens all the time.

While HG probably got money from giving them the license, can they survive another couple of years being unproductive if WB does nothing? Maybe they should try to do something for themselves if it doesn't work out in a few months/years.

While HG probably got money from giving them the license, can they survive another couple of years being unproductive if WB does nothing? Maybe they should try to do something for themselves if it doesn't work out in a few months/years.

I stand by my prediction that nothing will come of WB licensing this.

Taksraven

Isn't it really a matter of them having nothing at all to show and/or license out to interested parties?

They have some original Shadow Chronicles BS they could attempt to license out, but its obvious no one would be interested in making merchandise for an animated movie that is practically nonexistent to 95% of America.

Exactly we have no idea how WB/Maguire sees their licensed movie franchise. Plus the only real undeniable empircial data on Robotech's popularity are records on TV ratings and Sales records of Robotech Merchandise. I don't know about sales records, but there is little doubt that Robotech: The Macross Saga enjoyed hight TV ratings all over the country.

Watchmen's sales records in the mid 80s and the success of superhero movies were enough to convince WB to pour $150 million into Watchmen, who is to say WB wouldn't be willing to make a Robotech movie for a similiar amount. Hell, the New York City block set could cheaply converted into a Macross City set.

HG would have bankrupted long ago if its survival rested in its Robotech franchise. Potential revenue from a Robotech LAM is a great opportunity to lose though. As far as producing something on their own with Robotech, that is the biggest probelm. HG never was and will probably never be a real animation production studio. They are just an Real estate company with a small time distribution business on the side that is trying to exploit a one time syndication deal as their own original franchise.

Want some answers to your most burning Robotech License questions?

Check this thread out:

http://www.robotech.com/community/forum/re...mp;pagenumber=1

I feel Rapier is ready to stab himself after his little round with the Robotech mods!

(Better hurry before Steve deletes it)

Seriously, why hasn't anyone just contacted the Warner Brothers office and be done with the speculation? :wacko: Easier said than done?

Edited by chrisk

Guess the LAMR was mostly an elaborate scheme to get WB to pay for HG's outstanding bills. No one intended work to begin immediately or perhaps at all, just to get some of that Hollywood cred and money until someone remembers to pay attention to the license.

Guess the LAMR was mostly an elaborate scheme to get WB to pay for HG's outstanding bills. No one intended work to begin immediately or perhaps at all, just to get some of that Hollywood cred and money until someone remembers to pay attention to the license.

Yeah right like HG covered up the legal issue from WB by blocking their "Robotech" search results on the internet and kidnapped all the anime fan in WB's animation studio to prevent the WB executives from learning the "Truth" till it was too late and the contract was already signed. :wacko:

Fox bought Voltron and WB bought Robotech licenses hoping to follow Paramont's success with Transformers. If they forked over the cash before doing adequate research into the legal baggage the properties carry then its no one's fault, but there own.

Yeah right like HG covered up the legal issue from WB by blocking their "Robotech" search results on the internet and kidnapped all the anime fan in WB's animation studio to prevent the WB executives from learning the "Truth" till it was too late and the contract was already signed. :wacko:

The hell? The deal with WB to make a movie gave HG money while leaving WB to sort out a revival, doing most of the work for them. While they're struggling to make that work, HG can just wait and do as little as possible until then. No pressure to attempt work on their animated sequels and other plans that would cost them a lot money to move Robotech along for a couple of years. They can just pay the bills and import toys if they wanted with the extra cash.

Edited by Einherjar

I never said HG wasn't sitting on their asses with regards to Shadow Chronicles. I meant that there was no "elaborate scheme" to keep the truth from WB. HG is no doubt thankful of the revenue from the license sale, but that doesn't make them con artists who just wanted quick cash from WB. Looking back I think its obvious WB is well aware of the legal situation considering Maquires himself talked of the movie having new reimagined technology shortly after the initial news of a LARM was released. Just because fans aren't happy with Hollywood's standard practice of remakes doesn't mean WB isn't happy turning Robotech into a BSG with a few transforming mecha.

To be honest - on this subject of the popularity of Robotech....

I think it's something like - oh... zero.... in the US.

First of all - on the East Coast; where I grew up - in never even aired on TV. I only heard of it through the Palladium roll playing games. So already there's a huge swath of the Country that didn't even see it. I know the west coast got it - and look at how many folks here at MW are from California or thereabouts.

I swear - I spent half my life in the USA and never ever ever did I ever ever hear anybody mention Robotech outside of that Palladium role playing game.

By contrast, everyone knew - at least - what Transformers were, as well as GI Joe. Heck - people even had rudimentary knowledge of what anime was (though I'll admit that I never hung with anime fans as such and was the only otaku I knew in the States)...

Of course - this could just mean I was isolated and out of touch - but you'd think I'd have heard...I dunno...SOMETHING about Robotech before?...

Pete

First of all - on the East Coast; where I grew up - in never even aired on TV. I only heard of it through the Palladium roll playing games. So already there's a huge swath of the Country that didn't even see it. I know the west coast got it - and look at how many folks here at MW are from California or thereabouts.

I swear - I spent half my life in the USA and never ever ever did I ever ever hear anybody mention Robotech outside of that Palladium role playing game.

By contrast, everyone knew - at least - what Transformers were, as well as GI Joe. Heck - people even had rudimentary knowledge of what anime was (though I'll admit that I never hung with anime fans as such and was the only otaku I knew in the States)...

Of course - this could just mean I was isolated and out of touch - but you'd think I'd have heard...I dunno...SOMETHING about Robotech before?...

Pete

When did you grow up on the East Coast? I grew up on the East Coast and, mid '80s, it DID air here (at least in Western Mass), which is when/where I watched it. Of course, it aired at weird times, like 6am for a while, and then 1:30pm for a while.

I lived in France briefly (about when Robotech stopped airing here, like '86 or '87) and it aired there at much more normal times, with a bigger following too, I think.

When did you grow up on the East Coast? I grew up on the East Coast and, mid '80s, it DID air here (at least in Western Mass)

That's amazing - I grew up in Cambridge and saw nothing. And I was up at 6:30 in the morning for Transformers which got pushed into that time slot for a while ... Does that mean I just should have gotten up half an hour earlier!? Jesus - if I'd only known :) Hah hah! But then - I don't even remember any commercials :)

I guess I was isolated and out of touch :)

Pete

Edit - oh - and the "when" part - from 1983 to 1990.... but I do remember loving the Palladium books and getting them all... I also remember reading the Jack McKiney Novel "Zendradi Rebellion" and enjoying it. But no cartoons...

Edited by VFTF1

That could actually work to WB's advantage in making Robotech, doubly so since a revised adaption is pretty much certain at this point. No one could make a successful superman movie that was simply a Captain Marvel under the Superman banner to avoid legal conflict with DC because everyone knows Superman's origins, who is, what his world looks like etc. On the other hand only the Robotech and Macross fans would really complain about Macross elements removed or heavily changed in a RLAM.

Edited by Freiflug88

Unfortunatly even if the RLAM gets made and is succesfull there is no guarantee HG will release it's stranglehold on Macross.