Bandai 1/72 Scale Macross Frontier Model Kit Thread Ver.3

azrael

Ok first of all, I have to say that is some great work on the kits they look amazing! :lol: now, how the hell are you guys putting these things together! :huh:

I have been building models all my life and I cannot for the life of me put these things together. I have tried on two occasions ( this is my third attempt thinking that I was rushing the other times) but no! these things are floppy the parts don't fit right and don't get me started on the frakin legs! how in the hell are you supposed to make them fit within the small-narrow spaces of the main body in fighter mode.

I am giving up and I think i am about to sell the never opened kits to some lucky person here!

has anybody else had these problems? Bandai makes great gundamskits but these are really frakin with me!!!!! :angry:

thanks, alfye. my bad, it was indeed a lancia. your work is amazing! and where did you get those buildings?!

clear VF-25 were released a few months ago and promptly sold out within a few days. so they are now only available via auction sites. i cannot translate japanese, but i imagine those links you posted are not for pre-orders but for immediate sale.

Edited by Major Focker

Well - I transformed him into battroid mode...

First things first - I had a near fit of rage at the beginning - because I looked at him and was like: HUH!? HOW COME IT HAS DX WAIST/UPPER LEGS!?

It looked JUST like the DX...

until I figured out that the waiste/legs are on a swivel joint and you can actually...swivel them down.

now...somebody tell me - WHY can't the DX legs be on a swivel joint and just - you know - get swiveled down? How simple is that? How wonderful? Why didn't they do it for the DX?

On the other hand - major nags:

1) The legs don't rotate at all - Yamato's VF-1s can rotate their legs. This guy can't - that really limits poseability.

2) I appreciate the feet being semi-swivel for Gerwalk mode - but there is way too little movement going on there.

This guy is basically perfect for a stand in battroid mode - for "in air" poses - or maybe "in space" is the better term...

He's not really suited for land combat - even though that's the battroid's function in a big way...

I dunno.

Overall - Bandai could have EASILY made this the DX in terms of parts design and transformation.

It's frustrating that there are so many Bandai VF-25s to chose from - NONE OF THEM PERFECT!!

I would rather have Yamato doing these. QC issues are better than bad design. If I get a QC Yamato problem - I just chug it asside until a Yammie with no QC issues comes along - but the design is stellar.

With Bandai - yeah yeah - it holds together fine, building it is great fun, it's amazing - wow - bla bla bla - but I would really just prefer if they made a tolerable DX that uses this transformation scheme.

And that the thing actualyl have decent poseability. As such - I'm happy with the 1/72 - but I feel that the VF-25 has not been done justice yet.

2m604yr.jpg

pete

So, did we ever get confirmation of what extras are included with the Armored valks coming out in a month? Like does Alto include the Sniper Rifle or was that just for show???

Alto-ver will include the sniper rifle. That's about it from the looks of it. Both will have reaction missiles.

Looks like Bandai is going to have a good 09 and possibly first quarter 2010. I like that a 1/48 is coming, but really, I don't think I need one. It's gotta impress the poo outta me after all the gapping from the 1/72 line, and the bulkness and QC issues of the 1/60's. It will indeed have to be a PERFECT Grade.

Thanks! Its a LQ diorama, but phone camera makeup result :p

Im very interested on VF-25F ProShop Clear Ver. and i found 2 Japan online stores:

http://bulletmonkey.com/?pid=11272647

http://store.shopping.yahoo.co.jp/first-jp/2103bnd00019.html

Can anyone translate me if the items are "In stock Now"? Or these stores are selling preorders?

Tonight, I saw this clear kit at a "second hand" shop in Akihabara, Japan. They were asking 4800 yen for it. I didn't have my camera on me at the time. Don't know if that indicates a online store release, or if somehow someone got an early one.

Edited by thirty

Thanks MajorFocker & thirty for the info!

MajorFocker, buildings of my diorama are SuperQuick Low-Relief Papercraft Buildings. You also have other manufacturer doing railway-buildings like Metcalfe.

This evening, trying to clarify what happens with VF-25F Clear Ver, I used BabelFish translator over the links i posted yestreday, and i understand that these stores are acepting reservations for a re-sale on last June:

http://babelfish.yahoo.com/translate_url?d...TrUrl=Translate

And that the thing actualyl have decent poseability. As such - I'm happy with the 1/72 - but I feel that the VF-25 has not been done justice yet.

pete

thats right pete vf-25 definitely hasnt been done justice

but for now, 1/72 model kit is as close to justice as we can get :D

Edited by honkhet

Guest sh002

awesome about the qrea and vf-27.

i hope bandai releases everything they can with macross frontier in 1/72 scale and maybe expand to other series. for instance i would love to finally have a 1/72 regult or glaug that i can afford.

And I swear to god I'm about ready to pistolwhip the next person to whine about line art in a thread... line art for anime is not the same as artwork designed with consideration for modelkit/toy production, and as such should not be expected to match with such Nazi-like enthusiasm, nor should it be.

I hope you are not referring to my post about the Qrea hips that was dripping with sarcasm. Ahhhh internet, how you mangle communication and intent so.

I get a chuckle everytime I see someone here complain about the V25 DX's hip placement. Let's consider how much weight that tiny swingbar would have to support, especially with Super pacs or worse yet Armor pacs on-board. The model kits have a hard time standing up with Super pacs on... And the DX's don't. Kinda important design issue.

Edited by thirty

I get a chuckle everytime I see someone here complain about the V25 DX's hip placement. Let's consider how much weight that tiny swingbar would have to support, especially with Super pacs or worse yet Armor pacs on-board. The model kits have a hard time standing up with Super pacs on... And the DX's don't. Kinda important design issue.

This is an interesting point that I had not considered - but couldn't a metal swing bar have been used? I mean - for a company that has made so many innovative transforming robots - this should have been a no brainer...

Pete

This is an interesting point that I had not considered - but couldn't a metal swing bar have been used? I mean - for a company that has made so many innovative transforming robots - this should have been a no brainer...

And we come to an issue with models. Adding metal does things to models that can make them very unbalanced very easily since the plastic is lighter and thinner.

I was refering to the DX.

Anyways - viola! Here's my completed VF-25S in 1:72 scale! I know, I know- you veteran super-modelers (who I greatly admire) probably don't see why I'm so excited - but for me - I put a lot of love into this guy and tried my durndest... at least tried a whole heck of a lot more than with my MG Gundams...

3149sls.jpg

2dtu106.jpg

9zq7o8.jpg

rvc02s.jpg

I love how stable the joints hold together compared to some of Bandai's MG Gundams. Technically, I'm not done- got to build the wheels for fighter mode... But I'm liking him a lot :) Looks good next to Gundams and Yammies :)

Pete

Isn't one included with the kit? I read somewhere that it was...

that's exactly what I heard too, since the kit does NEED one, the stand is included in the box, so together they make the pack cost double the price of a regular "clean" VF-25.

the wing/backplate hinge reinforcement is very welcome, it actually fixes the wings folded, but I am not seeing myself transforming this monster more than once, to get the battroid out after assembly, that's IT! I am implying I will buy it, but...I am a bit scared after looking at the pile of 4 unassembled kits.

I hate you Bandai for coming out with the NEW Decalture decals!!!

http://blog.amiami.com/amiblo/2009/05/48.html

Now i have to buy again!!

where is the order button?

I dont'!

I love the fact that they are doing what Hasegawa has been doing for decades. Re-issuing the same kits with different decals.

Now if only we could ask them to release the deculture decals for the VF-100 series I'd be ecstatic!!! :lol:

errr.....its because 1/60 has become yamato's defacto scale more like.

As for Bandai going 1/48, its simply so it won't compete with their 1/60 DX and 1/72 model kits, that's all. And 1/48 is pretty common aerial model scale.

Well some market trading appears to be going on here as well. Yammie never had access to the Mac 7 licenses before and the 1/100 VB-6 is conspicuously absent from their current re-issues.

As for the 1/48 kit, it's hard to say if Bandai is responding to Hasegawa's YF-19 or the other way around. There has been a market for 1/48 scale valks for a long time, but the market needed to mature for them. I'm sure the research departments from both companies realize that the Macross franchise (like gundam) has a legacy fanbase old enough to now be able to afford the higher end kits, unlike before and with other franchises.

Hmm, no the real question is:

Where can I find the artwork that they used?

Wow, I'm sooo stoked over the 1/72 Q-rea! (although, it does really seem a little small...)

Some of the artwork was lifted from the masters already published in books or CDs, etc... Other ones seem to be new works.

I count 6 new ones on the horizon, 7 news ones since the Ranka and Sheryl sheets were released.

1. Ozma Armored - Kathy sheet

2. Alto Armored - Sheryl sheet

3. Micheal - Klan custom sheet

4. Luca - Nanase custom sheet

5. Ranka custom sheet - New

6. Ozma - Planet Dance w/Kathy custom sheet

7. Ozma Fast Pack - Kathy sheet (ships with the Ozma FP version of the kit)

Very exciting!

Who knows what will come out for the VF-27 after it gets released?

Bandai, can we get these for the VF-100 series, Puleeze!!! <_<

Why does Model Graphix always tease us with these customs and decals =( but a 1/48 Ozuma or Alto with Armour would be massive

Tradition would be my guess... ;) They've been publishing Vf customs forever....

thanks, alfye. my bad, it was indeed a lancia. your work is amazing! and where did you get those buildings?!

clear VF-25 were released a few months ago and promptly sold out within a few days. so they are now only available via auction sites. i cannot translate japanese, but i imagine those links you posted are not for pre-orders but for immediate sale.

Well considering their first run is already sold out, I'm not surprised. I suspect we'll be seeing other VFs from the series get the same Hobby Pro treatment over the next few years.

It wouldn't surprise me if the sales of the Hobby Pro line prompted them to do the clear VF-25F DX toy. Obviously there is market interest in this type of product.

Edited by Zinjo

So, got bored today, built my last super pack on my Ozma and WOW parts don't seem to fit that well at all, the wings wont fold down properly at all do to the restriction of the leg armor...and the hip kibble is extremely loose! They wont even stay in place in fighter mode either! Even the wings in Battroid wont support the weight, even adding a lil nail polish after a quick dissembly of the main body to dabble on the wings didn't even help!

I...I feel so helpless that I dunno if I'd buy another super pack as I'm 2/2 on just making an expensive paper weight that flops.

So, got bored today, built my last super pack on my Ozma and WOW parts don't seem to fit that well at all, the wings wont fold down properly at all do to the restriction of the leg armor...and the hip kibble is extremely loose! They wont even stay in place in fighter mode either! Even the wings in Battroid wont support the weight, even adding a lil nail polish after a quick dissembly of the main body to dabble on the wings didn't even help!

I...I feel so helpless that I dunno if I'd buy another super pack as I'm 2/2 on just making an expensive paper weight that flops.

Would thickening the ball-joint with nail polish or the like on the hip gun do any good?

As for wings being too heavy... lean it forward, Wing Zero style? :rolleyes:

Edited by shiroikaze

I use paint to thicken the joint and it work too well.. broke one of the ankle in the RVF-25, otherwise it is pretty tight all round

And for fighter mode you have to angle the legs so the wing can be put down more