Toynami 1/100 line

nightmareB4macross

28 minutes ago, Gabe Q said:

What in the actual...

What are the roller skates for???

$375! Really?

What am I missing here?

It’s a Jumbo Machinder/Shogun Warriors thing. If you research almost all of what are considered JM/SW they have this as a feature since the legs would not pose as if walking.

Yeah 375 is up there, but considering there will be only 500 made. As soon as JM/SW fans realize this is out, it will be gone.

11 hours ago, nightmareB4macross said:

Yeah 375 is up there, but considering there will be only 500 made. As soon as JM/SW fans realize this is out, it will be gone.

Agreed....low production quantity....multiple niche collector categories...equals no chance of warming any shelves...

Or they can go KitzConcept and keep increasing their "limited" production count until they oversaturate the actual demand...lol

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Finally got around to pulling out my Takatoku 1/100 VF-1's to take a group shot with the Toynami "retro" box 1/100 VF-1's....

large.20221231_192957.jpg.c06471370795d4

..and a pic of all the "retro" Toynami sets released to date....

large.20221231_190730.jpg.118027c8497bf1

These Toynami "retro" releases are probably the only toys I ever bought "just for the boxes"...lol

I think they really do capture the essence of part of what made the old Takatoku Toys Macross collection (and vintage Macross merch in general) awesome....the amazing boxart! 

That is one of the reasons why the recent HMR Macross releases are so great...they capture the nostalgia of toy boxart illustrations...however, these days, the boxart is mostly not needed to sell the collectible inside the box anymore...we now expect to find the toy inside the box to be as close to the original lineart as can be done, thus the added expense of commissioning art from top illustrators to "sell" the collectible is not as important anymore....

However, we are speaking of Toynami, which is still stuck in the "boxart better than actual toy" phase....for decades now....

So the idea to go with an homage to the vintage Takatoku Toys boxes was marketing genius.....so I give them credit for that.....

Since apparently BW still has a strangle hold on the SDFM and DYRL license outside of Japan...I hope they extend this "retro" boxart gimmick into the next year or so and release some "retro" boxed VF's from DYRL.....I think they had teased an Elint Seeker and Super Ostrich at some point...so would be nice to see those released as part of their "retro" series.......and release retro-boxed Strike Valkyries and VF-1A's while they are at it too!

2 hours ago, jvmacross said:

Finally got around to pulling out my Takatoku 1/100 VF-1's to take a group shot with the Toynami "retro" box 1/100 VF-1's....

large.20221231_192957.jpg.c06471370795d4

I like this comparison pic, it is pretty awesome..

I feel, the Toynami box is more like the toy instead and the valk inside is embellishment. It just feels all sorts of wrong, yet probably the best thing that can be done for the awful valk.

4 hours ago, Slave IV said:

While it is cool that something like those exist, I can’t help but feel it’s a waste of a good box. Lol. 

Agreed. After so many prior releases one would figure they would reinvest in the mold and create a better iteration to go with the classic artwork.

6 hours ago, nightmareB4macross said:

Agreed. After so many prior releases one would figure they would reinvest in the mold and create a better iteration to go with the classic artwork.

I'm surprised that anyone at this stage and after several previous "repackagings" would think that Toynami would either want to or be capable of improving their 1/100 toy....it's been about re-boxing for years...the "retro" re-packs were the best idea they've had for a long time....hope they can bring it back....I have more money to burn! LOL

On 12/31/2022 at 10:15 PM, jvmacross said:

large.20221231_190730.jpg.118027c8497bf1

These Toynami "retro" releases are probably the only toys I ever bought "just for the boxes"...lol

I think they really do capture the essence of part of what made the old Takatoku Toys Macross collection (and vintage Macross merch in general) awesome....the amazing boxart!

Toynami would have my money if they'd just sell the boxes along with new plastic trays to fit the Hi-Metal R toys and accessories. 😄

Don't get me wrong, I love the Hi-Metal R boxes, but these pique my nostalgia.

5 hours ago, TheLoneWolf said:

Toynami would have my money if they'd just sell the boxes along with new plastic trays to fit the Hi-Metal R toys and accessories. 😄

Don't get me wrong, I love the Hi-Metal R boxes, but these pique my nostalgia.

yeah...that was my thought when I first saw these...sadly the HMRs don't fit...

la-1463533885-snap-photo

3 hours ago, sh9000 said:

I would buy custom Takatoku trays and boxes for HMR if they weren't expensive.

Same...

"Retro" boxes would be nice...I think the old Yamato/Arcadia 1/60 stuff would actually benefit more by fitting them into some retro-styled boxes....surprised no one has ever tried it...wonder how much it would cost to commission such a project?

On 1/3/2023 at 8:22 PM, jvmacross said:

Cool...is he on eBay or some other site?  Prices seem reasonable...and it looks like he definitely would be up to the task

Its almost half price if you buy from there website Boxformers they have a nice nemesis prime box too:ph34r:

nemesis_orig.jpg

• 6 months later...
31 minutes ago, sh9000 said:

329BFC49-7B4F-4A0B-A6C7-7BA672AFC502.jpeg.1e2a0ef213a0f773110c0380a824f171.jpeg

The SDCC version will probably say only Macross on the package and it looks to be grey instead of white.

I see the grey now....I may want to get one....if anyone is going to attend, let me know if you can pick one one for me

15 minutes ago, Raikkonen said:

What are those red rocket things sticking out on it's back? 

They basically are trying to re-create this as an old Shogun Warrior, which had those same missiles types....

shogun_warriors_jumbo_mazinga_mib_c-7.5_

9 hours ago, jvmacross said:

They basically are trying to re-create this as an old Shogun Warrior, which had those same missiles types....

Got it. So they're intended to be on the wings. For a moment I thought it was meant to be some sort of wind up mechanism. 😅

I know this topic way predates my lurker days on thr forum, but I've always wondered why this topic is in the Toys forum.  Toynami operates under a HG Robotech license, so shouldn't this be under the "Anime or Science Fiction" section?  Just curious, it doesn't really bother me. :unknw: