Toynami 1/100 line

nightmareB4macross

3 hours ago, mikeszekely said:

Bear with me, I haven't collected Macross or Robotech toys.  Despite being a huge fan of Macross the anime, the only toys I've really been into as an adult are Transformers.

Now, to the untrained eye it looks like Toynami has basically been re-releasing the same basic 1/100 VF-1 for years.  Have they made any improvements over the past couple years?  Reason I'm asking is because it came to my attention that MAAS toys, a company heretofore only known for their unlicensed third-party Transformer releases, got a license to do Robotech toys.  There was some discussion about what toys we might like to see.  Now I only ever cared for the Macross saga of Robotech (which naturally paved the way for me to become a Macross purist).  I figured I might pick up a couple of VF-1s, if the price wasn't too bad.  But that got me looking at the VF-1s that are out there now, namely some Japanese Macross figures that I think are a bit too pricey for my tastes, and the 1/100 Toynami line.  And it looks like Roy's VF-1S and Hikaru/Max/Milia's VF-1Js either have had or will have relatively newer (re)releases.

Long story short, they don't seem very expensive, and while I've got nothing against VF-1Js Max's VF-1A stands out in my mind more from the time they were caught on Vritlwhai's ship, so I found one in stock at Toy Dojo and picked it up.  It arrived today, and while my expectations were pretty low I was still unprepared for how poor the quality actually was.  Terrible plastic, thin parts, loose joints, limbs that are essentially pegged on, etc.  I'd like some other VF-1s, but if this is as good as Toynami gets I'll either have to save and spend on the Japanese Macross toys or quit while I'm ahead.

Other than slight changes in the plastic o-ring swivels, to try and prevent the cracking/splitting and the already mentioned misaligned tabs; nothing has changed from waves 1 to the latest.  If you remove the leg spacer/filler, everything will line up nice and tidy, not tight in fighter.  There have been some changes in plastics to fighter canopy's for the latest pilot editions.  Paint for fast packs change hue depending on which one is purchased and reactive missles have gotten better paint over time.  

As someone who has bought both lines, HMR is far superior in every way. Can't speak on fast packs and armor retention.  That said, at 1/100 I find the cost of HMR too much to swallow, especially when trying to track down older releases.  HMR's do come with a lot more "tiny bits" to keep track of and I personally wasn't thrilled with the parts swapping aspect like Bandai did with the VF-100's when transforming; though it does lead to far better accuracy and articulation.  

I'm hoping the new 1/72 release in the RT line can at least be a decent compromise between the two 1/100 lines at the current price; not that I like giving HG any money.  

Stick to Japanese Macross toys, Mike.  Some of them display very well with similarly-scaled Transformers.

613761737_Arcadia-scaledTF.jpg.f12b88926c31b1ccd26faf2e35053476.jpg

756353362_HMR-scaledTF.jpg.c08923705b5453cb1e8eb02be21a43ce.jpg

Toynami toys, however, are no better than Evolution Toy quality, and far below third-party Transformers standards we're used to.  <_<

4 hours ago, mikeszekely said:

Max's VF-1A stands out in my mind more from the time they were caught on Vritlwhai's ship

"Vritlwhai?"  You mean Vrlitwhai's ship, right?  Didn't your spellchecker catch that typo?  :p

Seriously, who they hell came up with those spellings, anyway?  :unknw:

10 hours ago, tekering said:

Stick to Japanese Macross toys, Mike.  Some of them display very well with similarly-scaled Transformers.

But they're so expensive. I thought Gabriel cost a pretty penny, but I saw the Arcadia VF-4 is going for around $400. I can't say I fancy spending even $250 for something Meteor-sized. Right now I guess the HMRs are looking the most attractive, but still kind of pricey for their size.

10 hours ago, tekering said:

"Vritlwhai?"  You mean Vrlitwhai's ship, right?  Didn't your spellchecker catch that typo?  :p

Not at 2:00am. At least I didn't write "Breetai," eh?

If you want a cheap Hi-Metal R to see how much you like them, the VF-1S Messer is relatively inexpensive if you look around.

https://order.mandarake.co.jp/order/detailPage/item?itemCode=1076181053&amp;ref=list

Probably end up around $75 shipped if you select SAL shipping.

If you limit yourself to the more popular/common releases, you can still find some deals occasionally for the older Yamato VF-1s, especially if you're willing use Shapeways replacement parts to repair first editions with broken shoulder joints.  Also, keep in mind that Arcadia's premium releases tend to push people to sell off their non-premium versions, and you might find some cheaper ones, either here, or on Japanese re-sale sites. 

The VF-1 is probably the only one you'll find in the same price range as 3rd party Transformers though, as it was the cheapest to start, and the most popular by far.  The only other Yamato/Arcadia valk I've seen in recent history to approach that ~$150 price range was a VF-17S I found here on the boards a few months back.

• 3 months later...

They dug up some old stock, it was released a long time ago. I'm sorry I didn't check RT.com a while ago, I would have loved to pick up some of the other stuff they dug out of a closet like some Aoshima Legioss toys..... but I don't really need them.

4 minutes ago, jenius said:

They dug up some old stock, it was released a long time ago. I'm sorry I didn't check RT.com a while ago, I would have loved to pick up some of the other stuff they dug out of a closet like some Aoshima Legioss toys..... but I don't really need them.

Well, if you do feel like picking up those Legioss toys, RT is having a sale...

ei?u=http%3A%2F%2Fi1.cmail20.com%2Fei%2Fr%2FC7%2F192%2FCD5%2Fcsimport%2FRT2018_BigSale_wide_starts11-23.141407.jpg&d=2018-11-24T18%3A50%3A13.791Z

• 1 month later...

Yesterday, I decided to put a little more lipstick on the pig,and got creative with some sharpies and highlighters.  Yes, I know the coloring on the missiles is not cannon, but I just wanted to add some color.  I also added the marker lights and whatnot.  Why does every valk use blue instead of green for the starboard side?  That's just wrong.  The standard color world over for starboard side markers is GREEN and it just makes sense since the sky is BLUE.  And yes, I realized after painting it that the red band is broken across the air brake, but why is it not so on the VF-1S?  I think it looks better this way.  I need to put the stickers on too but haven't gotten to it yet.1000077811_IMG_20190118_1531561.thumb.jpg.579b4e92169be2a38a73ace45f112243.jpg698189293_IMG_20190118_1532071.thumb.jpg.18d8b9495af1ca28446cb20116443c92.jpg1075273487_IMG_20190118_1532521.thumb.jpg.f4c6464e54895ba164ac63bec7ca086a.jpg

3 hours ago, Mazinger said:

The fighter mode on those things isn’t horrible. I have one that’s falling apart. Been thinking about glueing it in place as a fighter.

On mine, the tiny plastic pins broke on the piece that allows the chest to assume fighter or battroid position.  At first, I tried to find a tiny drill bit and put a pin in from a piece of paperclip, but then I realized it was plastic and that, being in electronics repair, I had sharp dental picks and a soldering iron.  Worked wonders.  You can see the pin I installed in my pics if you look at the chest piece.  It's a PITA to get that little plastic piece to snap back into the body tho and it comes out easily.  I'm thinking of putting in another pin there.

Also, if you have issues like @jenius describes in his review where your tail section never lays flat, you can make a little slot where the backpack thrusters meet the... wing base?  Anyway, cut a slot there and it will snap together in fighter mode much better.  Also note the aforementioned pin off the right on the chest piece - much better than tiny plastic ones.

IMG_20190118_1532072.jpg.7e7e6b2b96518f9ddf683dc4f9c69708.jpg

19 hours ago, Pontus said:

I also added the marker lights and whatnot.  Why does every valk use blue instead of green for the starboard side?  That's just wrong.  The standard color world over for starboard side markers is GREEN and it just makes sense since the sky is BLUE.

People usually paint the starboard marker lights blue because they generally look blue when not illuminated.  That varies by aircraft type though, because certain aircraft will use clear lenses with blue-green bulbs inside, rather than white/yellow filaments inside blue lenses.

US_Navy_040608-N-0382O-001_Aviation_Structural_Mechanic_Airman_Jason_Powers_and_Aviation_Structural_Mechanic_3rd_Class_Daniel_Johnson_conduct_final_checks_of_the_wings_and_flaps_of_an_F-14B_Tomcat.jpg

• 1 month later...

If an HMR was reissued with vintage packaging, I’d totally buy it.  I may or may not get this.

Instabuy for sure on a similar HMR....

Surprised this hadn't been done sooner....

Last ones to have a similar throwback packaging were the Megahouse's SDF-1 and Hi-spec Orguss release...

I think I'll need to get this Toynami release

It looks like they are using this to release a gray VF-1S which is the opposite of what Takatoku did. For Takatoku, the individual VF-1S was gray and you needed to buy the gift-set if you wanted a white one. Still, super clever on their part... I wouldn't be surprised if the GBP-1S gift-set is next. 

It looks like they are using this to release a gray VF-1S which is the opposite of what Takatoku did. For Takatoku, the individual VF-1S was gray and you needed to buy the gift-set if you wanted a white one. Still, super clever on their part... I wouldn't be surprised if the GBP-1S gift-set is next. 

The GBP gift set also came with a "grey" VF-1S....

gbp1s_set.jpg

I have to admit, the credited artist, Jay Sullivan, really captured the "look" of the old school Yoshiyuki Takani boxart used on the packaging for Macross Takatoku Toys and IMAI/ARII model kits of the day.  It looks great! :good:

Ironically, this Toynami release is taking us aboard the wayback machine to the days where the box art was better than the toy inside.....in Toynami's case, much, much better.... 8) 

This is one of the few pieces I would keep new in box if I ever bought it.  The limited release means I probably won't, but if they end up making this general release, I might actually bite.

I wonder what the legality of that kind of boxing is.  I know Takatoku is gone now, and HG is definitely not a company that has any qualms about pushing legal boundaries for their own gain.  Would there be any company, maybe Bandai(?), that could even theoretically bring a suit against HG for copying the box art?  Or did those rights die with Takatoku?

Packaging designs are indeed protected by copyrights. Assuming that Bandai acquired all of Takatoku's intellectual property, and not just their toy moulds, they would have a leg to stand on.

But I don't see Bandai doing anything. Bandai never used that packaging design under their own brand, not to mention that the 1/55 line is long dead; it'd be hard to argue that they're suffering actual harm. The best that they could hope for is an injunction, which doesn't net them anything.

On the plus side, this is probably one of those rare releases where you're really not missing out on anything if you leave it in the box forever. :lol:

Agreed. It is pretty cool to look at. Personally I'd pass on buying, but I can't help but think that this is exactly the Super VF-1S set that I keep hoping Bandai will release in HMR. I still consider getting one of the original 1/55 sets (the Bandai reissue, not the Takatoku original).

• 3 months later...