Bandai VF100's Official Thread Ver.2

Graham

i agree that price is way too much for such an item.

but the prices in Hk will they drop further ??

I think the planes are good but not that well done as they needed parts removal for transformation.

But for those without modding skills, i think it's not a bad toy as it is ready done for you..

But still the price is bit too much for me now..

Prices are dropping here in HK. Cheapest I've seen the VF-25F go for so far is HK$299 (about US$38.58).

They do seem to be sitting on shelves unloved and unbought.

Graham

Got mine for HK$275 at the Sino Centre in Mong Kok. A lot of people were buying the VF-25F when I got there.

It's the Toynami 1/100 Super Valk 3-pack (HKS$580) that's collecting dust there. Even the clerk told me in very broken English that they suck.

It's already HK$239 (US$31) in Hong Kong.

Not good, I am afraid...

But it is now cheap enough to be tempting.

Edit on March 20: someone bought it in Japan at 2000 yen.

Edited by ff95gj

I just received my VF100 Alto Custom yesterday... And boy do I have some experience...

Like Jenius review, first impression is great, the box is perfect for those MISB collectors. However, pulling the plastic tray out reveals 3 storey of madness! There are just too many parts. First impression aside, I took out the VF25 from its plastic tray and starts to toy with it... Argh... And that's the first word coming from my mouth. There's no problem with articulation (much), but the gripping hand just doesn't grip at all... Every shooting pose is like an advertisement of red bull energy drink, as this toy doesn't seem the strength to hold its weapon. Then the pointy intake hip just bumped straight into the nose section in batroid mode, I need to maneuver the hip around the nose section to pose the legs. In fact, the legs are not too poseable except for forward and back poses.. I might be too harsh on this toy as I collect Revoltechs, which have crazy articulation, so my expectation is a bit too high for the VF100.

Then I decided to transforms the VF25 to fighter mode... And hey! What a surprise, there are not many parts to transform it actually. I only need to replace the head, the nose, the shoulders, the hip section, add a peg for the shield, and the vertical fins. In all, I just need one tray of parts (there are three trays of parts). Knowing Bandai, I expect some engineering magic, and there are some in the VF25. The replaced head holds the transforming part of the torso, and it does so very well. The thigh "flaps" secures the thigh (now the engine intake) to the main body of the fighter mode nicely... Although this is a feature found on the DX model.

The amount of details are great and by far the fighter mode is my most favorite mode. However, another argh moments struck when I want to transform the toy to Gerwalk mode... For the leg to twist 90 degrees, it needs to be fitted with a module... Which are not nicely engineered. I don't know what the term is, but I need to jam the thigh and the module until it "clicks". But the material itself is kind of soft plastic, and my first attempt to transform the leg kills the left module, as its now too lose to hold the thigh in place... And here I am, stuck with Figther or Batroid mode for my VF100 VF25...

To be frank, although it's priced for 5000 Yen, the VF100 line is the most affordable transforming Macross toy today. Another great premise is the complete line of Macross era Valkyries to be made.This is my first ever Macross toy, something that I can afford compared to Yamato and Bandai DX offerings. So I'm a bit forgiving for the partsforming notion, but sadly, the VF100 needs to be reworked to simplify the transformation and avoid constant snapping because in the end the joints will all be loose to a point it cannot be reconnected anymore. This is a toy right? I expect for the toy to withstand rough treatment compared to its model kit counterpart.

I'm quite disappointed, but I hope Bandai reworks the VF100 line and give people with low disposable income a chance of owning their own fleet of Valkyries. And finally we come to conclusion... I'm canceling my VF100 VF25 Michael's custom preorder... Until that is, until Bandai re-engineers the VF100 line.

Hmm.....looking better than the previous pic from a few weeks ago and looks like there may be less parts swapping on the VF-19 than I suspected.

Not much meat on the back of the upper legs though, although that is unavoidable on the 19, unless you have that part swapable.

Graham

Hmm.....looking better than the previous pic from a few weeks ago and looks like there may be less parts swapping on the VF-19 than I suspected.

Maybe the rumored poor sales of the 1/100 VF-25 made them realize that valkyrie toys should actually transform. Yeah, I said it. What the 1/100 VF25 does is not a transformation.

14kfplz.jpg

It says in the caption that the folding main body/torso will be transforming rather than partsforming.

I'm not expecting full perfect transformation but less partsforming is better indeed. The VF-25 is more of a model kit than a toy!

Edited by Vifam7

I get the 19 regardless of how much partsforming there is. I prefer none, but I'll be willing to deal with it if there is. I got rid of my VF-25 1/100 because I knew I wasn't going to touch it when I had the far superior DX sitting there. I'll use the 1/100 as my 19 representative until a better 19 toy comes along.

Edited by eriku

It says in the caption that the folding main body/torso will be transforming rather than partsforming.

I'm not expecting full perfect transformation but less partsforming is better indeed. The VF-25 is more of a model kit than a toy!

Sweet! I guess the VF100s line will improve then!

Any idea when the -19 will come out?

Edited by edwin3060

VF-19 seems to be coming along good. Still iffy about the legs, especially the thigh half.

I hate the carve-out and weird pointy intakes on the Yamato 1/60 and I was looking forward to 1/100 not having that issue.

Oh and before I forget can someone please, please, please post a close up shot of the VF-25 cockpit. Thank you.

VF-19 seems to be coming along good. Still iffy about the legs, especially the thigh half.

I hate the carve-out and weird pointy intakes on the Yamato 1/60 and I was looking forward to 1/100 not having that issue.

Oh and before I forget can someone please, please, please post a close up shot of the VF-25 cockpit. Thank you.

Here you go. I hope that helps. The canopy is non-removable, and there's no pilot in the seat.

P.S. I was lazy and didn't want to go through the hassle of transforming to fighter so I just plucked the head off and flipped the back plate over!

post-10385-1237830927_thumb.jpg

post-10385-1237830968_thumb.jpg

Edited by edwin3060

Making the whole upper body/torso fully transformable seems easy enough. What I expect from future VF100s are partsforming without the need of extra parts. I believe Bandai is capable enough to make VF100 line transforming parts to detach and transforms rather than having lots of removable bits. Bandai could make the major body parts like torso, legs and arms to be removable, transforms and reattached to make the various modes of the Valks.

Anyway... I'm holding my purchase of anything VF100 until I saw a thourough review for the VF-19. VF100 VF25 just left a pretty bad taste...

Objectively... The VF-19 sculpt looks very good... The legs seems proportional, the waist seems to be held with a screw, and off course... the obvious open palm.

Sweet! I guess the VF100s line will improve then!

Any idea when the -19 will come out?

I don't know about that. The main body of the 25 transformed. Though it does kiiiinda look like the 19 might only need parts-forming on the head and lower arms alone. i hope so.

Its going to take alot of tooling and detail to ever make the VF-19 Kai look really good. I'd rather see a VF-4 or VF-2SS come out next. Then again until they get the kinks worked out, I'm holding off on these toys!!

So are those two next, followed by Luca and then the 19?

I'm just trying to figure out how long I'll have to ignore the 1/100 line until a non-25 is released.

Fire Valk is scheduled to come out this Fall.

Fire Valk is scheduled to come out this Fall.

Cool, thanks. Until then I can focus on the DX Luca, the DX armored Ozma, the 1/60 VF-11, the 1/60 TV Max, the Quarter if it's out by then, the...cripes, Macross is going to kill me this year.

The folding of the torso and the carving on the upper leg means that the 19 will be very close to PT since those are usually the tricky areas. The landing gear will surely be swappable just like the hands, 'cause they seem too big to be storable in the forearm, so if the head section isn't swappable, I'm in (unless they announce the Blazer before the Kai comes out, of course).