Yamato $2000 DYRL MACROSS

EXO

I would have wished for a 1/2000 if I am still living in North America (studied university there), a whole basement to be filled up. But now as a poor soul living in a crowded city (Tokyo, Hong Kong) I find a 1/2000 SDF appealing but difficult.

Think of it as your new roomie, it doesn`t cook or clean but it doesn`t hog the shower or make a mess either. ^_^

SDF-1.

However, there is some internal discussion going on at the moment, as to whether to keep it at 1/2000 or make it a bit smaller and thus more affordable and easier for people to display.

Personally, I'm on the side that says make it smaller. I think 1/3000 or 1/3500 would be fine.

Graham

Aw hell no! I want this to be TALLER then Fortress Maximus, just to rub it in Transformers fans faces.

It would also be nice, and a first, to have the giant robot ship in the show be bigger in toy form then the giant transforming planes that go into the ship.

It would also be nice, and a first, to have the giant robot ship in the show be bigger in toy form then the giant transforming planes that go into the ship.

My sentiments exactly!

The show is called Macross for a reason.

Now if you could just convince Yamato to also make a TV-style version. :D

Aw hell no! I want this to be TALLER then Fortress Maximus, just to rub it in Transformers fans faces.

Exactly!! It's the freaking SDF-1. It deserves the commanding presence it would have as a 1/2000, and it deserves to be the centerpiece of a collection. There are smaller scales already available, so if you want smaller, go for those. Kinda like the 1/48 and 1/60 lines, right?

As long is it's bigger than the Bandai's Macross Quarter by a few inches that would be fine with me. I still itch to have the 1/2000 but Yamato is probably being smart on this one, as who could afford it and keep up with Yamato's release schedule! :lol:

Edited by logos

But were would I put my real doll Minmay then???

REAL DOLL!!!! :huh: You actually own those, aren't they rather expensive? and they made a Minmay one?

IMO, 65cm long which is the size of the 1/2000 prototype in cruiser mode is just too damn big and not practical for display.

I'd much rather the toy be 40cm to 45cm long maximum and sell for not more than US$300. US$250, would of course be even better.

Honestly at 65cm long and US$500+ Yamato are really limiting their own sales.

Graham

All you people with standard Detolf set ups will be soooo screwed. You'll have to remove a shelf and display in storm attacker mode. I love the sound of this bohemith but practically I agree with Graham. I'll get one and cherish it either way but I can only imagine the look my girlfriend (potentially wife by then) will say when I take it home and it towers over the shitzus.

it comes with little scale valks.

thats another good point... smaller Macross... less of a chance of scaled valks.

Yamato shouldn't show things they're never gonna release. If they don't make it... someone will.

IMO every line of toys needs that uber OMG wish I could get one of those toys. G1 FortMax is there for the Transformers fan, there’s a 1/35 Jumbo Grade RX-78-2 for the Gundam people, a 1/2000 SDF-1 could be the Macross Holy Grail. A fan that gets one requires a certain level of both dedication & stupidity for buying something so impractical. If they made it a limited run also with numbering it would be an epic win.

IMO, 65cm long which is the size of the 1/2000 prototype in cruiser mode is just too damn big and not practical for display.

I'd much rather the toy be 40cm to 45cm long maximum and sell for not more than US$300. US$250, would of course be even better.

Graham

While a 1/2000 SDF would be cool and something to be admired with, I wonder how many people can afford to house one at home in Japan.

Would someone living in Japan shred us some light?

I wish they release a 1/1200 SDF, just like the 2m tall Gundam/ Zaku you see in stores. I can visit it when I feel like to, and it's too big and expensive for me to even consider buying it. And still, if you are THAT determined you still can order one.

You guys can talk all you want about how "uber-awesome" or whatever a 1/2000 scale SDF-1 would be, but realistically how many of you are going to fork over US$550 plus shipping for this?

Yes, I know back in the bad old dark days of the mid-to-late 90s' many of us (myself included), didn't bat an eyelid at handing over a grand for a mint or near mint 1/55 Strike Valk, VE-1 or VT-1.

But in these tougher economic times, especially as many of us have mortgages, kids education fees and a dozen other damn expenses to pay off, how many of you will really get this, or even be able to justify getting this to your spouse.

Graham

You guys can talk all you want about how "uber-awesome" or whatever a 1/2000 scale SDF-1 would be, but realistically how many of you are going to fork over US$550 plus shipping for this?

Yes, I know back in the bad old dark days of the mid-to-late 90s' many of us (myself included), didn't bat an eyelid at handing over a grand for a mint or near mint 1/55 Strike Valk, VE-1 or VT-1.

But in these tougher economic times, especially as many of us have mortgages, kids education fees and a dozen other damn expenses to pay off, how many of you will really get this, or even be able to justify getting this to your spouse.

Graham

Heh. You cannot take the MW population seriously, we are all hopeless Macross freaks.

Statistics are skewed, from "how big you want the SDF toy be" to "will you sell your first-born for this valk".

That's about 3 Valkyrie Fighters (VF-22, 2xVF-19), but when said as $550 it seems like a lot more.

even be able to justify getting this to your spouse.

I think we've found your real reason for not wanting a 1/2000 scale. Where's the wiped emote? :lol:

To be honest I never thought they would procedure this, companies just aren’t that crazy anymore. Or maybe the Management lacks the vision to see why it can work.

Edited by wizartar

maybe we can send it to each other as "gifts"... lol...

1/2000!!! Cmon!

I don't really understand why all of a sudden Yamato would all of a sudden have our wallets in their best interests... after sucking the wind out of it for the last... what? 7-9 years? I mean really... We're the type that buy the same exact toy over and over and over... in different scales. Same toy! different colors. You think it would make a difference if we gave it all to Yamato in one shot or in three?

maybe we can send it to each other as "gifts"... lol...

1/2000!!! Cmon!

I don't really understand why all of a sudden Yamato would all of a sudden have our wallets in their best interests... after sucking the wind out of it for the last... what? 7-9 years? I mean really... We're the type that buy the same exact toy over and over and over... in different scales. Same toy! different colors. You think it would make a difference if we gave it all to Yamato in one shot or in three?

I think it's more in their own interest. As Graham said so convincingly, not too many Japanese fans, even seriously wacko ones like me, have the space at home to house something this big. This will limit the sales numbers.

And economically, all of us globally aren't doing too well. So not many of us are willing to fork out US$500 + shipping to buy one, even if we have the space.

I will probably get one, but maybe only after reviews. Too bad it ain't a 1/60 Monster. That'll be a multiple must-buy without waiting for review in my book. ^_^

For some outside perspective, the recent Star Wars BMF (Millenium Falcon) is around the same size as the proposed 1/2000 SDF-1.

And the old G.I. Joe Phantom X-19 Stealth Fighter is roughly around the same size (and is nowhere near the biggest toy to come out of that old line :blink: ).

Again, this would be the centerpiece, the capstone to anyone's Macross collection. My main reason for not wanting it is because it's in the DYRL scheme, not my more preferred TV-style scheme. If it were the TV-style SDF-1 coming out, I would definitely be already saving up for it.

Comparing the modern toy lines with those of the bygone era of the 80's is never a fair one. I get this same argument from hardcore collectors at work over the new GI Joe line. Back in the 80's, the mantra truly was "bigger is always better" in the toy industry. It was the decade of greed; the "Me" generation where the world economies and stock markets were booming. Hasbro never batted an eye at releasing a 7-foot-long aircraft carrier for 3.75" figures...or huge multi-level Defiant Shuttle playsets that could hold literally 50+ figures comfortably. And this is what a lot of the older collectors want to see again: vast aisles of huge product from one specific toy line (in this case, GI Joe) with four or five different big-ticket playsets dominating the bottom shelves. It must be a nostalgia thing...lol

Back in the day, stores allocated shelf space a lot more liberally to a particular toy line than they do today. In 1989, you would have seen an entire (or mostly entire) aisle dedicated to GI Joe merchandise. Not so in 2009. The TRU where I work generally only allocates 4 to 8 feet of shelf space per toy line, and sometimes more than one toy line shares that same 4 feet. Star Wars usually gets the lion's share of space at 8 feet, along with whatever movie-merchandise is currently being sold in tandem with its theatrical release. But everything else is condensed into 4 foot areas. The "BFM" Millennium Falcon was not purchased in huge quantities by stores last year, and were generally placed in floor stacks in the middle of walkways. And those did not sell well AT ALL for TRU.

And this is the major issue that someone at Yamato seems to have realized. Just because they COULD make it ridiculously large, doesn't necessarily mean that it SHOULD be done. And it definitely doesn't guarantee that the sheer size will make it a sure-fire seller. Quite the opposite in today's economic environment, just as Graham said. If you go back through this thread, you'll find several of us NOT living in Japan even wondering aloud where the heck we'd put a 2 1/2-foot SDF-1 in our homes...so its not like Yamato is totally off-base in rethinking the scale.

Either way, if it doesn't simply end up another case of vaporware like the Monster ended up being, it will be released in whatever scale Yamato ultimately decides upon...and we can all choose to purchase it or turn our collective noses up at it in favor of hoping that another company will release one the size of an '84 Buick at some point in the future. :rolleyes:

Edited by Cyclone Trooper

personally, I don't care if people don't buy one. That will leave an extra couple for me. :D

And I live in the heart of Tokyo with not enough room to display more than a single valk!

Edited by optimator88

We deserve the 1/2000 DYRL? Macross!!!!!

Sorry but I don't buy the $$ or little space "issues". A lot of us have the VT-1, VE-1, VF-22, VF-1J CF, VF-1A TV CF on preorder!!!!! That's more than $500 combined. I'm not even adding the upcoming 1/60 Armored Ozma, all the 1/60 VF-25 DX's we bought this year.

Obviously food, health, kids education come first, but I WMAO (work my a s s off, so to speak ^_^ ) so I demand the 1/2000 :lol:

I'm just expressing what I wish, so don't stone me!!

Edited by Ignacio Ocamica