Official Bandai 1/60 Scale DX Toy Thread Ver.4

azrael

I don't know if anyone has looked at the color differences on the Ozma DX. Under lighting (sun, fluorescent, incandescent, pick one), compare the shades of grey between the grey plastic, and painted grey metal.

If you're freaking out to such a high degree from seeing Luca's, why aren't you freaking out and returning/rejecting Ozma's?

Keep in mind, that colored injected plastics and painted metal will always look different. Go outside and compare the colors between your car's body and a plastic piece (bumper or something). Having collected die cast cars and planes for the last 20 years of my life, there are huge differences between painted metal and painted plastic - more so on metallic paint, but you get over it after a while.

I don't know if anyone has looked at the color differences on the Ozma DX. Under lighting (sun, fluorescent, incandescent, pick one), compare the shades of grey between the grey plastic, and painted grey metal.

If you're freaking out to such a high degree from seeing Luca's, why aren't you freaking out and returning/rejecting Ozma's?

Keep in mind, that colored injected plastics and painted metal will always look different. Go outside and compare the colors between your car's body and a plastic piece (bumper or something). Having collected die cast cars and planes for the last 20 years of my life, there are huge differences between painted metal and painted plastic - more so on metallic paint, but you get over it after a while.

Aren't even the plastic pieces such as bumpers on cars painted too? I haven't seen many cars that have a color matched unpainted bumper. Most use the same paint on the entire body. As for toys, you're right that there is a big difference in color between the colored plastic and painted areas, especially as you said for metallic paints. Some companies actually do give the extra effort to paint the plastic areas when necessary though, like in the Binaltech line of transformers which had the die-cast parts. My Silverstreak has the entire car body painted with a metallic silver finish. On the other hand, for Sideswipe/Lambor they painted only the diecast parts, but I suspect it is because it uses a non-metallic paint so the difference is not so big.

Regarding the DX VF-25s, I think most people have accepted the fact that painted areas and colored plastic areas will look different. What is bothering people with Luca is that plastic areas were showing multi tones in those pictures shown earlier in the thread. I think it wouldn't be an unreasonable expectation for pieces that are plastic to have a uniform pigmentation. I guess it's possible that they used different plastics.

However, my 25G came with two sets of hip guns. One without the armor and one with the armor attached. In regards to the shape, they are the same in every way except one has two holes to accommodate the armor piece. Color-wise, they are not the same for some reason. It wouldn't make sense to me that they would use a different type of plastic and the texture looks the same as well. For some mysterious reason they were just made with a different color. It's not a huge deal to me as the color difference is small, but I'm just illustrating my point that the color difference in the plastic areas seem rather needless and that is why a lot of people are upset with the Luca.

Wow, Micheal's Valk looks super sexy and I have an offer from a source who is willing to sell cheap..decisions, decisions!

I'd definitely recommend it. Mine is super tight, really well fitting, and it just looks ... well. You can see how it looks. I most certainly like it more than my Alto.

There may be subtly discernable coloration differences on my Michel, but I'm blowed if I can see them under my daylight-lit apartment. Blue is beautiful!

EDIT: I checked the two different hip guns on my Michel. They're both the same molded blue color. How odd. Maybe there were different batches of parts runs that had variant blue levels?

Edited by QuinJester

EDIT: I checked the two different hip guns on my Michel. They're both the same molded blue color. How odd. Maybe there were different batches of parts runs that had variant blue levels?

I think the color and type of light may have something to do with it. Under The 2700k color bulbs I use for normal lighting in the house, I can discern the difference, but under the 5500k color bulbs, which are closer to daylight, that I use for photographing stuff like my valks, the difference is much harder to spot.

Edited by MacrossJunkie

The root problem is not that they are different, but how different they are. :huh:

If my wife asks, it's your guyses fault I just ordered a DX VF-25G and a DX RVF-25.

I feel bad for you guys who got raped by exchange rates. They're just right at $200 US shipped now.

Vostok 7

No raping here. I ordered back in November and December respectively for Michael and Luca and paid $185 and $195 shipped from Overdrive. :p

I'm sure you'll enjoy the 25G. Despite any complaints with I have with the toy, I am fairly happy with it and have no regrets getting it.

After applying nail varnish to the groin connectors on the 25G, I can say that it does not work (at least it does only until you transform the thing) and now the toy will no longer stand straight in Battroid mode.

So I phoned Bandai and they said they would have to see just how bad it is as that is apparently a tricky area, and that I would have to send it to Tochigi Prefecture where they have their "Omocha no Machi" ("Toy Town"). Watch this space for further developments.

Time to change my signature and update the scoreboard!

sad to hear that man :(

i still have money in hand for either DX vf-25g, or the 1/60 vf-11b,

till now i'm not really sure which to get,

hopes the vf-11B reviews would come out in time before the vf-25g gets sold out (in case vf-11b turns out bad) :unsure:

Edited by honkhet

After applying nail varnish to the groin connectors on the 25G, I can say that it does not work (at least it does only until you transform the thing) and now the toy will no longer stand straight in Battroid mode.

So I phoned Bandai and they said they would have to see just how bad it is as that is apparently a tricky area, and that I would have to send it to Tochigi Prefecture where they have their "Omocha no Machi" ("Toy Town"). Watch this space for further developments.

Time to change my signature and update the scoreboard!

Ouch. Sorry to hear that! Would a stronger setting glue like cyanoacrylate (Super glue), applied like the nail varnish, do the job? If you haven't sent your toy off to Bandai yet you could try it.

^_^ Good to know that Bandai listens to their customers! Please keep us updated on the progress!

Thanks for the Alto w/Michael Super parts QuinJester! All we need is that super fold booster now. Even though some may not like the sniper rifle, I'm just glad for the detail of it, including the tiny rocket stabilizers on the inside of each tine.

Eugimon, honkhet: +1000! A 1/60 sized model kit with the same looks as the 1/72, and even more detail/features made possible by the 1/60 scale would be awesome! Heck, I would even accept a simple scaling up of the 1/72 kit, just like how Bandai's Gundam non-scale 1/100 kits are basically upsized 1/144 HG kits (True for Gundam SEED at least, I'm not sure about the non-scale 1/100s now).

Edited by edwin3060

Ironically even in panic mode off you can see the colour difference between the wings/hip intakes, and apparently someone from that forum checked out 3 separate boxes of the RVF-25 and saw variations in the amount of colour difference between the toys. ^_^

Sorry to hear that. I wonder what is different between yours and mine. I've transformed mine a few times after applying one coat of clear nail polish and it still works perfectly. Maybe the brand? In any case, sorry to hear it didn't work for you and hopefully Bandai will take care of it for you.

RVF-25 review with good photos:

http://gamu-toys.info/goukin/gouki/dxf03Rvf25/01.html

Even account for our eyes' sensitivity to green, the colour difference is quite obvious.

This reminds me of the colour complains about LEGO Knight bus some years ago:

http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=1295046

Even LEGO couldn't get it right when all of them are same ABS plastic.

Edited by CF18

Annoying and baffling though the color differences may be, I don't intend to display my Luca without armor so it'll be a minor niggle in my eyes. As long as the joints are as nicely tight and the groin lock is as tight as my Michel I'll be happy. Taking the photos with Alto reminded me how much I had abused him :lol: His joints just aren't as tight as they used to be and he was most definitely not as well behaved as Michel was while wearing that armor.

Hopefully Bandai will put out a deluxe set with Alto and armor at a later date and I'll use my current alto as my "abuse and play" copy.

Annoying and baffling though the color differences may be, I don't intend to display my Luca without armor so it'll be a minor niggle in my eyes. As long as the joints are as nicely tight and the groin lock is as tight as my Michel I'll be happy. Taking the photos with Alto reminded me how much I had abused him :lol: His joints just aren't as tight as they used to be and he was most definitely not as well behaved as Michel was while wearing that armor.

Hopefully Bandai will put out a deluxe set with Alto and armor at a later date and I'll use my current alto as my "abuse and play" copy.

Unfortunately the Alto Armour pack seems to be a web exclusive. I guess we'll have to wait for a possible movie version then.

I realized that part of the color difference on my 25G is from a slightly different "finish" on the plastic. The plastic that makes up the back plate of the fighter, the shoulder piece that you connect the missile pods to, the thigh, the part that holds the cockpit, and the piece on the leg with the "U" shaped hole that connects the leg armor are all much glossier than the plastic that make up the other blue parts. The other parts have a duller finish and the blue doesn't look as deep, possibly due to the finish itself.

While I have no doubt that Bandai is having some problems with varying colors of green with the differences being more apparent on one toy than the next, I think part of the basic color difference is due to this difference in finish. So even when the colors are pretty close, they can look different because one part is just that much glossier than another.

Looking at the various Luca photos, the parts that have a deeper green are the same parts on my 25G that are glossy.

Sorry to hear that. I wonder what is different between yours and mine. I've transformed mine a few times after applying one coat of clear nail polish and it still works perfectly. Maybe the brand? In any case, sorry to hear it didn't work for you and hopefully Bandai will take care of it for you.

So the honeymoon is over for me with the 25G. The crotch lock is loose and battroid caves in with light pressure or movement. Where exactly would I apply the nail polish and what brand since maybe it matters

So the honeymoon is over for me with the 25G. The crotch lock is loose and battroid caves in with light pressure or movement. Where exactly would I apply the nail polish and what brand since maybe it matters

I applied a single coat of over the entire surface of the T-shaped peg that flips out.

As for the brand I'll have to look at the name when I get home, I don't remember off the top of my head. Something like "N.Y.C". Clear of course. ;)

If you do this, make sure you let it dry thoroughly first. It should only take several minutes but I let mine dry overnight just to be safe.

Edited by eriku

I applied a single coat of over the entire surface of the T-shaped peg that flips out.

As for the brand I'll have to look at the name when I get home, I don't remember off the top of my head. Something like "N.Y.C". Clear of course. ;)

If you do this, make sure you let it dry thoroughly first. It should only take several minutes but I let mine dry overnight just to be safe.

Thanks Eriku. I'll stop by target tonight to get some polish and give it a shot.

Thanks Eriku. I'll stop by target tonight to get some polish and give it a shot.

Is this a common problem with the vf-25g? After watching all the vf-25 transformation videos that tab always clicks, Is it just the vf-25g that has the problem and is very loose? I dont feel like paying that much for a toy to have to put polish on it =(

It seems to be a random problem with all of the VF-25 variants. Some are like that, some aren't. The problematic one I have is an Alto.

:EDIT:

The nail polish I used is "N.Y.C." brand, Extra Shiny Top Coat 271-A

Edited by eriku

Quite happy with my VF-25G so far. The only complaints I have are: -

• The loose hip armor.

• Some chipping of the black paint on the top of the left 5-hole shoulder block, despite being very careful with transformation (easily touched up with a Gundam marker).

• Two of the tines on the sniper rifle get knocked off very easily.

On the plus side, the joints are nice and tight and I have no problem with the groin connector on mine.

Also, until somebody mentioned it, I never noticed the different shades of blue plastic. Doesn’t bother me a bit though, as it’s hardly noticeable IMO.

Will be picking up my RVF-25 tonight and will open the box to check before I pay, as the color difference issue does seem more worrying with the green plastic.

Graham