Official Bandai 1/60 Scale DX Toy Thread Ver.4

azrael

Got my Luca today. An interesting thing happened. I opened the box in full daylight and there was absolutely no discernable color separation on the figure at all. I put it aside and went to cook dinner, and it got darker. I turned on the lights in my apartment and went back to look at it, and lo and behold, the chestplate, backplate, and wing roots all had the different color separations pictured by posters beforehand. The color of green used is obviously very sensitive to lighting and the colors were probably colormatched in a daylight balanced situation, rather than in flourescent or incandescent lighting.

Green is a pretty notorious color for having these problems in production, actually. Ask someone to specify what color a VIA Rail GE P42 locomotive is supposed to be and you'll get everything from seafoam green to dark blue. The color can be a chameleon sometimes.

Got my Luca today. An interesting thing happened. I opened the box in full daylight and there was absolutely no discernable color separation on the figure at all. I put it aside and went to cook dinner, and it got darker. I turned on the lights in my apartment and went back to look at it, and lo and behold, the chestplate, backplate, and wing roots all had the different color separations pictured by posters beforehand. The color of green used is obviously very sensitive to lighting and the colors were probably colormatched in a daylight balanced situation, rather than in flourescent or incandescent lighting.

Green is a pretty notorious color for having these problems in production, actually. Ask someone to specify what color a VIA Rail GE P42 locomotive is supposed to be and you'll get everything from seafoam green to dark blue. The color can be a chameleon sometimes.

Very interesting, if you think you can capture what it looks like in daylight with a camera, I'd love to see it.

-Kyp

Finally had a chance to take one of my two RVF-25 DX out of the box when I got home last night at about 11pm.

I’m happy to report that both black stripes under the cockpit are present.

However, at night under incandescent lamps, the color separation is much more obvious and immediately noticeable.

You know what though? It doesn’t bother me at all!

I’m a sucker for Elint Valks and think the RVF-25 looks just great, even with the different shades of green.

I love that you can spin the radar dish and had great fun spinning it.

I’ll probably keep the RVF-25 in fighter mode most of the time as I think it looks best in that mode. Also, I’ll probably keep the Super Packs off, as they make it look a bit too busy IMO and distract from the radar dish and ventral Elint fin.

Graham

Finally had a chance to take one of my two RVF-25 DX out of the box when I got home last night at about 11pm.

I’m happy to report that both black stripes under the cockpit are present.

However, at night under incandescent lamps, the color separation is much more obvious and immediately noticeable.

You know what though? It doesn’t bother me at all!

I’m a sucker for Elint Valks and think the RVF-25 looks just great, even with the different shades of green.

I love that you can spin the radar dish and had great fun spinning it.

I’ll probably keep the RVF-25 in fighter mode most of the time as I think it looks best in that mode. Also, I’ll probably keep the Super Packs off, as they make it look a bit too busy IMO and distract from the radar dish and ventral Elint fin.

Graham

I agree with everything said above, with the exception of the "keeping it in fighter mode" because I love the RVF-25's headsculpt too much. Curses! Actually, I have to say I prefer both Lucas Fighter mode and Battroid mode to any of the other 25 valks. It must be the odd seafoam green. I'm a sucker for odd colorways. Spinning the radar dish is strangely soothing, too. The modified backplate that everyone was freaking out about earlier was definitely for Luca and the radome, P.S., in case anyone had any doubts.

RVF-25-Luca-1.jpg

RVF-25-Luca-2.jpg

RVF-25-Luca-3.jpg

RVF-25-Luca-4.jpg

RVF-25-Luca-7.jpg

RVF-25-Luca-8.jpg

RVF-25-Luca-5.jpg

RVF-25-Luca-9.jpg

RVF-25-Luca-6.jpg

The RVF looks great IMO... I've only been able to judge from the pics here, but I almost like the color differences. I know the art says it should be one color, but the variation suggests multiple colors, almost like a disruptive scheme.

Yep, I have that problem. Also, the hip connector is very loose.. gotta find a way to tighten that so his torso doesn't flop back.

That happens to my 25G when I played a few times. Can insert some paper to either side to tighten it. ;)

The modified backplate that everyone was freaking out about earlier was definitely for Luca and the radome, P.S., in case anyone had any doubts.

I suspect the extra holes will also be used for the Super Fold booster as well.

Graham

I agree with everything said above, with the exception of the "keeping it in fighter mode" because I love the RVF-25's headsculpt too much. Curses! Actually, I have to say I prefer both Lucas Fighter mode and Battroid mode to any of the other 25 valks. It must be the odd seafoam green. I'm a sucker for odd colorways. Spinning the radar dish is strangely soothing, too. The modified backplate that everyone was freaking out about earlier was definitely for Luca and the radome, P.S., in case anyone had any doubts.

Noticed that your RVF has a small "battle scar" on the right shoulder. Was it like that out of the box? Otherwise, awesome pics as always.

Edited by todd77

Just received the EMS shipping notice from OverDrive regarding the Alto and Ozma Super Parts, so I should have them in a few days.

A few minutes later, I received another email from OverDrive as follows: -

We have been contacted by Bandai regarding the Bandai Chougokin VF-25 Ozma

Super Parts having a slight defect in the painting of the item. The

right and left intakes are painted slightly differently than planned.

Bandai has notified us the correcty painted parts will be shipped to us

in late April. Note the toy itself is perfectly usable the paint job is

the only problem with it.

Good that Bandai is taking action to correct this and good on OverDrive for supplying the corrected parts.

Graham

Noticed that your RVF has a small "battle scar" on the right shoulder. Was it like that out of the box? Otherwise, awesome pics as always.

My RVF-25 also came with a small battle scar (paint chip) out of the box, but on the back of the left lower leg.

Graham

Good to hear that the Luca color problems aren't so big.

Reminds me of Masterpiece Starscream; depending on the type of light, it goes from bluish to green.

The head is also a win in my book. Can't wait for mine to arrive.

Yeah, the head sculpt on the RVF-25 is really excellent.

I hope Bandai resculpts the VF-25S's head and uses transluscent platic for the eyepiece this time.

Graham

Are the head antenna on the rvf-25 supposed to be like that, the circular part almost looks like its bent or warped?

Edited by sil80jdm

Are the head antenna on the rvf-25 supposed to be like that, the circular part almost looks like its bent or warped?

Mine came with the antennae wrapped down around the two little white fins that are at the top of the backplate so I kind of got it mussed when freeing it. At some point I'll go the hot-water route to get rid of the warping, but it doesn't bother me enough to do it right now.

Yes, my right shoulder has what looks like a screwdriver gouge on it, unfortunately. I'm going to fiddle with some of my paints and see if I can come up with at least a close approximation of the sickly greenish off-white that Luca's got plastered all over him.

Anyone know if they are going to include the 4 reaction missiles with the Armoured VF-25S? Just noticed in the model thread that the 1/72 model will have them included but haven't noticed them on the DX version. The model looks damn sexy! BTW.

Here are pics of the 1/72 prototype, so you can see what I'm talking about reagarding the missiles.

http://shop.hobbyist-inc.com/online/detail...e=4543112587657

Chris

Edited by Dobber

:) My VF-25G finally arrived yesterday.

I was impressed at how compact the box (must be from the 1/60 scale) was compared to my numerous, far more bulky, Yamato boxes. The toy is absolutely gorgeous. Tranforming is straightforward; toy is solid construction; and very tight in the joints. Although, keeping the armor parts from falling off if I breathe on them was a bit annoying. Also, I had some difficulty locking the head base plate into place as it is difficult to reach from below. And, must be careful about the paint job. Now I just need more money to buy another one...

Edited by funkymonkeyjavajunky

I preordered my VF-25F from bigbadtoystore.com in July 2008 and I still haven't gotten it yet. Should I be concerned? :huh: I'm afraid my Alto-custom super parts are going to arrive before I get my valk.

Best thing you can do is email Joel and ask him. A lot of people haven't gotten the 25 from BBTS yet, which has led to the general assumption that BBTS didn't get any or very few of the initial release and is waiting for the April re-release.

Hello again everyone. Here's my RVF-25 Luca Custom review, in brief.

or

How I learned to Stop Worrying and Love the DX VF-25 (part 3: the RVF25)

You've heard my thoughts on the Mikhail version and on these DX's in general, so I'll spare you my tiring whining about landing gear and magnets. I'll cap off the boilerplate by saying this one has all the same armor gripes (missilepods, loose hips, calf armor), with this added bonus:

There is no place to clip on the gun pod in fighter mode. Not that I can see anyway. Of course, this isn't such a problem, considering the superfluous extra bits that arrived a week before with my Michel Custom, namely the spare gunpod with its little clip. Of course, there is the matter of that bloody great big sensor boom that's in the way, but we'll get to that in a minute. If anyone found a little trick to attaching the gun to the fighter that I'm too thick to discover with my substandard eyes please, do sing out.

Now, the ventral sensor boom. BE CAREFUL WITH THIS. My first time transforming it back from Battroid to fighter, I wasn't thinking and the end of the boom ended up tucked between the folding waist and the body. No not make the mistake of thinking "oh, it's just tucked in why don't I give it a quick yank?" You'll end up with a bent antenna on the end and a nagging doubt in your mind as to whether the thing will snap, like me. Honestly as a design feature I miss the little Cyclops Eye the VE-1 had. Why it's on Ozma's Super Armor and not Luca's arm is a mystery to me.

The sensor dish is marvelous. It spins on its own little housing and the two tines deploy with a crisp pop. The annoyance here is that the struts holding it up off the body are a bit short, so the missile doors on the pods don't clear, and the FAST pack nacelles allow barely any clearance when the tines are deployed. Annoying, but not a big deal.

Now, the good. THERE IS NO DISCOLORATION. Not on mine, anyway. I took the attached pics (at least, I hope the attachment feature worked...) with only natural light. I know, some of them show a little difference in tone due to the lighting, but looking at it with mine own eyes, I can tell you the coloring is consistent. I was worried it would be a tri-toned mess as seen in others horror stories, and it's not.

However, mine does have the double "004" marking error. Dammit. Oh well.

As a post script, Over Drive helpfully informed me that Bandai had screwed up the Ozma FAST packs and were sending new, correct one by the end of April. At this rate they're going to supplant Hobbylink Japan as my supplier of Cool Japanese Things. Hobbylink continues to keep my business by getting my valkyries to me in a mere 8 days and their Early Bird Specials.

post-3709-1238787724_thumb.jpg

post-3709-1238787941_thumb.jpg

Hate to tell you but looking at your fighter your backplate's green is different from the radome, shield and wings. Legs look slightlier minty greener then the backplate.

Battroid : Forearms and upper legs are two greens.

You've got a two tone.

I see the color differences too. This only proves what we've already established though, which is that this range of green can look different depending on the lighting and the individual's eyes. That said, even the most drastic color difference I've seen in some pics doesn't bother me in the least. I'm still hawt for Luca. :D

The two tone color differences don't bother me either.

In fact, I think it's a pretty cool custom paintjob when people paint different panels just slightly different shades. There was a YF-21 fighter model someone did like that a few years back.

Woohoo, my RVF and 25G are finally here. Here are my first impressions:

25G: Came with the neck portion of the plane slightly mis-transformed - it was angled downwards a little bit revealing portions of the battroid's chest. The paint job is quite nice barring a slight smudge (like a light pencil stroke) on one of the white stripes but it doesn't bother me. Otherwise, I've discovered no major paint chips thus far. I was really cautious in transforming it for the first time due to the amount of painted parts on it. Can't handle it as roughly as my 1/60 v2s or my YF-21 but then again, it is my first time. Now I understand the fuss about the two portions that click together on the hips. On my 25g, there is a click but it isn't as strong as the one on my RVF (which actually sounds like a double click). One bad thing though: in the midst of transforming it and despite being very careful about it (or perhaps because of it?), I accidentally broke off one of the tiny pegs at the back (the part that slides upwards) that locks in the arms in fighter mode :( Managed to fix it with some super glue but I don't think it'll hold. For those of you with more experience with the toy, how crucial are these pegs? Anyway, I'm quite relieved that the shoulders aren't scarred in anyway and the paint job here is really smooth.

RVF: Echoing the thoughts of others, the color difference isn't really noticeable when you're holding the toy in person. To me, it has a more beautiful finish than my 25G (whose 5-dot block has a more noticeable hue shift than the rest of the body). Again, no paint chips on mine or slop. And like I said before, the hip blocks click together more tightly than my 25G which is a plus. I did notice though that one side of the headphone antenna is slightly longer than the other, resulting in a slightly lopsided arc. Again, it's only a minor quibble. And mirroring what Quinjester has mentioned, the RVF's head sculpt does look menacing. Evil more like, as it has a sort of bird-of-prey kind of look (it looks like a beak to me with evil red eyes). And yes, I love the spin-happy radome. And the underside antenna / tail fin looks really nice too.

Anyway, those are my first impressions. Haven't even fiddled with the super parts. As of now though, I'm really happy with both purchases. Here's a quick snap that I took of both of them under normal daylight conditions. The RVF actually looks a lot less green in the pic, sort of desaturated. Took it with a white balance of 4550k.

post-5445-1238804607_thumb.jpg

Edited by todd77

Woohoo, my RVF and 25G are finally here. Here are my first impressions:

25G: Came with the neck portion of the plane slightly mis-transformed - it was angled downwards a little bit revealing portions of the battroid's chest. The paint job is quite nice barring a slight smudge (like a light pencil stroke) on one of the white stripes but it doesn't bother me. Otherwise, I've discovered no major paint chips thus far. I was really cautious in transforming it for the first time due to the amount of painted parts on it. Can't handle it as roughly as my 1/60 v2s or my YF-21 but then again, it is my first time. Now I understand the fuss about the two portions that click together on the hips. On my 25g, there is a click but it isn't as strong as the one on my RVF (which actually sounds like a double click). One bad thing though: in the midst of transforming it and despite being very careful about it (or perhaps because of it?), I accidentally broke off one of the tiny pegs at the back (the part that slides upwards) that locks in the arms in fighter mode :( Managed to fix it with some super glue but I don't think it'll hold. For those of you with more experience with the toy, how crucial are these pegs? Anyway, I'm quite relieved that the shoulders aren't scarred in anyway and the paint job here is really smooth.

RVF: Echoing the thoughts of others, the color difference isn't really noticeable when you're holding the toy in person. To me, it has a more beautiful finish than my 25G (whose 5-dot block has a more noticeable hue shift than the rest of the body). Again, no paint chips on mine or slop. And like I said before, the hip blocks click together more tightly than my 25G which is a plus. I did notice though that one side of the headphone antenna is slightly longer than the other, resulting in a slightly lopsided arc. Again, it's only a minor quibble. And mirroring what Quinjester has mentioned, the RVF's head sculpt does look menacing. Evil more like, as it has a sort of bird-of-prey kind of look (it looks like a beak to me with evil red eyes). And yes, I love the spin-happy radome. And the underside antenna / tail fin looks really nice too.

Anyway, those are my first impressions. Haven't even fiddled with the super parts. As of now though, I'm really happy with both purchases. Here's a quick snap that I took of both of them under normal daylight conditions. The RVF actually looks a lot less green in the pic, sort of desaturated. Took it with a white balance of 4550k.

post-5445-1238804607_thumb.jpg

If you're talking about the pegs that go into the forearms, they don't seem to do much other than help align the arms for fighter mode. Once the shield is in place, it does most of the work of keeping the arms locked in position.

Best thing you can do is email Joel and ask him. A lot of people haven't gotten the 25 from BBTS yet, which has led to the general assumption that BBTS didn't get any or very few of the initial release and is waiting for the April re-release.

I preorered Alto ages ago as well, and BBTS basically told me they somehow didn't get any of the first release. They're waiting for the April re-release, and I'm in the same boat as you, having the armor set ordered and paid for, but at this point, since I got my Alto preorder in at the $129 BBTS price before they jacked it up, it's just not worth the hassle or actual dollars to cancel and find one somewhere else. They did seriously screw up tho, and they have a terrible track record of not making it known when items are going to be delayed, or are simply not going to be stocked. Last week BBTS FINALLY got the Revoltech YF-21 and 19 figures... there are also multiple Gundam import item preorders that are well over two years old and still listed as arriving next month... their computer system I think just auto pushes stuff back, and things slip thru the cracks.

Edited by promethuem5

I got my RVF-25 today as well. I was surprised, I suppose I hadn't been following the thread too much but I expected the discolouration to be between the plastic and metal parts. That's not the case with mine, the wings are a different green than the wing sleeves and backplate, the forearm shield is different from both.

The armour exhibits the same issues which convinced me to cancel my order for Alto's armour. I do enjoy that both Michel and Luca's Valkyries came with stands.

I'm overall pleased with the set, though as I said I've canceled my order for Alto's armour, and I'll likely skip Ozma's Full Armour unless I hear great things.

I am still interested in seeing what Bandai does with the VF-171.