Official Bandai 1/60 Scale DX Toy Thread Ver.4

azrael

Again, it is a totally different division making the kits to that making the toys.

Yeah, I know. But the point is, someone else in the same company managed to pull out a good job. Why can't the DX division?

Let's not look at the Yamatos this time. Look at the GFFMC Psycho Gundam (which is in the same price range, transformable, and somewhat bigger). Bandai has the resources and the technologies; but they don't care, and that's the problem.

Edited by ff95gj

Will the legs hold though if the toy were to be put on a display stand?

Don't have a stand, but I can hold it at the intakes and the legs stay up.

------

I think most people are dissatisfied with the toy design flaws. There's plenty of things that could have been improved without

sacrificing durability. They just need to think about it a little longer. Example, the knee caps prevent a real gerwalk mode.

There should be small pegs at the very end of the back plate to connect to the end of the legs for fighter mode and not

where they have it now, which is behind the knees. The small fins should cant at an angle, they would only of needed to make that slit

a little bit wider. I could go on, but meh. I accept it for what it is.

Edited by Negotiator

Yeah, I know. But the point is, someone else in the same company managed to pull out a good job. Why can't the DX division?

Let's not look at the Yamatos this time. Look at the GFFMC Psycho Gundam (which is in the same price range, transformable, and somewhat bigger). Bandai has the resources and the technologies; but they don't care, and that's the problem.

The Pyscho Gundam transforms from a mecha... into a flying refridgerator. It's true! ;)

Not the best of comparisons IMO.

Anyway, the recent Figure King articles have stated that Kawamori was highly involved in the design of the DX version, not just the Bandai Chogokin group, and he himself admitted there were limitations to making a playable and durable toy. I still don't see why there's still so much vehemence towards Bandai in the light of that article...

The Pyscho Gundam transforms from a mecha... into a flying refridgerator. It's true! ;)

Anyway, the recent Figure King articles have stated that Kawamori was highly involved in the design of the DX version, not just the Bandai Chogokin group, and he himself admitted there were limitations to making a playable and durable toy. I still don't see why there's still so much vehemence towards Bandai in the light of that article...

13779.jpg LOL SO TRUE!!

Well i doubt Bandai will retool the toy. they rarely do. We'll have to wait for another company to do it right... hoepfuly Yamato gets it quickly

Oh please. The "they don't care" belief is ridiculous.

Have you not read what Kawamori has said? Or you think he's a liar?

Either way, to accuse Bandai of "not caring" is pretty disrepectful to Kawamori and those who worked hard on it. You can have an opinion on your dissatisfaction with a product. That's fine. And yes it's not to the level that some of us would like it to be. I too have my own issues with the DX toy which is why I haven't bought it yet. But to say "they don't care" is over the line IMHO.

Hmm... Personally, I take that as a PR article. What do you expect Kawamori to say otherwise?

"We don't care enough, and it'll sell anyways. So here you go!"

Judging from other toys in the same company, and similar toys from other companies, I don't think we need to sacrifice THAT much for durability and playability.

I know the above has been repeated for a million times in this thread, but if it's asked, I can answer it again I suppose. ^_^

P.S. Anyone feels "greasy" when they first open the DX? And fingerprints all around? It only happened on my lower-end GFFs, not on GFFMC, not on Yamatos.

Well i doubt Bandai will retool the toy. they rarely do. We'll have to wait for another company to do it right... hoepfuly Yamato gets it quickly

I don't think so... look at this:

GX-14 Eva 01 Test Type 6.2003

XS-01 EVA 01 Test Type 1.2007

XS-03 EVA 01 Movie Version 9.2007

XS-01R EVA 01 Renewal Version 6.2008

4 versions of the Chogokin EVA-01; 3 are for the SPEC line and released within months of each other. Granted, one is the movie version but still... there are more examples like this.

I do think we'll see some retools... there are minor changes already with the upcoming "more holes" version of the VF-25F

Edited by GGemini

Oh please. The "they don't care" belief is ridiculous.

Have you not read what Kawamori has said? Or you think he's a liar?

Either way, to accuse Bandai of "not caring" is pretty disrepectful to Kawamori and those who worked hard on it. You can have an opinion on your dissatisfaction with a product. That's fine. And yes it's not to the level that some of us would like it to be. I too have my own issues with the DX toy which is why I haven't bought it yet. But to say "they don't care" is over the line IMHO.

Liar is too strong a word. I'd use the word "PR".

If I were him, I would say the same thing. It's the right thing to say. But obviously things don't turn out right then.

I maintain my view that Bandai doesn't care enough. No offense to you, but I think I am entitled to my own view...

If we believe everything in a magazine article... We'll all be screwed.

P.S. Anyone feels "greasy" when they first open the DX? And fingerprints all around? It only happened on my lower-end GFFs, not on GFFMC, not on Yamatos.

Yup, at first I thought it was a painting error (it looked as if paint had been removed with thinner), but after touching it and checking it was some sort of oil, I cleaned it with a cloth. No more greasy VF-25. BTW, the "greasiest" so far has been the VF-25S.

Yup, at first I thought it was a painting error (it looked as if paint had been removed with thinner), but after touching it and checking it was some sort of oil, I cleaned it with a cloth. No more greasy VF-25. BTW, the "greasiest" so far has been the VF-25S.

I think greasy surfaces are quite common with Bandai toys. My SOC Gunbuster was pretty greasy when I first opened it.

I reckon that is some mold release agent?

Not a big problem for the toy, but when I open the toy and saw the fingerprints, I was thinking if it is 2nd hand repacked.

I think we deserve a clean toy for this price point...

Just something to watch out for. The tip of the left wing booster on my Michel was missing when I opened it. That's the blue circle on the front tip of the booster.

At least i'm not missing a head like I did with the 1/60 Roy.

And I don't k now about those hip pieces. I put them on my Alto and had a devil of a time getting them OFF! No idea why it's the reverse with the Max.....I mean Michel.

Edited by Alex

LMAO you are quite right but I still like the psycho gundam regardless I just keep it in MS mode because it looks so much better and ppl can actually tell what the heck it is.

NE way I wouldn't say bandai doesn't care because alot of time, money and effort went into creating not only the series but all the new macross merchandise that has come out so far. They wouldn't put so much time and effort buying the license for the series if they didn't care about it or think it wouldn't be profitable. There are literally tons of mecha series that were released in the 80's that most ppl have either forgotten or don't think twice about nowadays.

Wow, we've had this much DX talk and there's even an article stating the DX is the way it is to allow it to be more durable and to function well as a toy and people are still insisting the model should be used for comparisons. The people who make these things disagree... trust them. If you don't trust them SK disagrees, trust him. If you can't bring yourself to trust either then it's your own inner demons you're dealing with. There was no conspiracy to make the DX less like the anime just to giggle at the people who would buy it.

I think Luca is due out this Sunday (?). I'm hoping both my Michel and Luca will ship then. I'm looking forward to them but have some definite concerns about the armor.

I think Luca is due out this Sunday (?). I'm hoping both my Michel and Luca will ship then. I'm looking forward to them but have some definite concerns about the armor.

The Luca is out tomorrow.

And you shouldn't have any real worries about the armour. Apart from the hip pieces and the slight wobble on the connection to the wing root, it's a nice bundle.

Wow, we've had this much DX talk and there's even an article stating the DX is the way it is to allow it to be more durable and to function well as a toy and people are still insisting the model should be used for comparisons. The people who make these things disagree... trust them. If you don't trust them SK disagrees, trust him. If you can't bring yourself to trust either then it's your own inner demons you're dealing with. There was no conspiracy to make the DX less like the anime just to giggle at the people who would buy it.

Personally, I got over the aesthetic issues a long time ago. In my experience, though, if they sacrificed those details to make a durable and playable toy, then they failed in every count, because mine is neither durable nor playable. And yeah, I'm gonna make comparisons to the model because THAT VF-25 STAYS TOGETHER AND THE DX ONE DOESN'T. And no, I didn't glue the kit together or anything.

That said, Yamatos at least look good before they fall apart.

Edited by Renato

I think you're being a little strong there. I wouldn't say they failed on every count. Fighter mode is quite solid. The hip connector aside, battroid is pretty solid too.

I personally think it's also quite playable. I'm more annoyed at the asthetics than the build. Swings and roundabouts (kings and down'n'outs).

Edited by Alex

yup exactly.

the vf-0 although being a terrible chapter in yamato's past,

it was never short of praise in terms of beauty.

but i do hope u manage to fix ur DX hip joint with that nail polish.

let us know the results once ur done...

I don't agree that if I regard that the seller is doing business talk, then I am dealing with my inner demons. I am surprised that people trust an interview so much and say "see, he said it's already the best thing they can do".

I don't mean Bandai intentionally makes something bad to sell. I just think they do not keep a high standard to perform to their capability. The capability we see in their other products, or the quality level from similar products.

And the DX Luca is released already; it's sitting in my living room.

The Luca is out tomorrow.

And you shouldn't have any real worries about the armour. Apart from the hip pieces and the slight wobble on the connection to the wing root, it's a nice bundle.

My VF-25G's breastplate and the left leg armor just keep falling off too. The right side is good though.

I wouldn't mind if they up scaled the kit to 1/60 and make it with slightly stronger material and sell it as an assembled kit/ toy. Basically what Yamato toys are right?

I've been saying this since the start! A PG Grade 1/60 MF model kit, since the normal 1/72s are considered MG level. With a PG grade, we could even have movable flaps and other interesting stuff! It's not likely to happen though. There doesn't even seem to be much progress with the model kits after the VF-25 series is done. :(

ff95gj: Pics and review please! You can't leave us waiting like this, it's evil!

At the same time, official release date for the Luca is 28th of March, which is tomorrow.

And we still don't know when Alto's and Ozma's super packs will be released. It's supposed to be March, but next week has only 2 days of March left and that's Monday/Tuesday, whereas releases usually occur on Friday/Saturday, except for Michael DX.

Edited by edwin3060

Can you please take a few pictures? ^_^

I have 2 exams tomorrow... So I can only go this far...

The green in the breast and shield and the wings and the hip armor is different from the other parts! Yikes!

3388973525_c50b11a0e1.jpg

Just to show if the legs are high enough. Are they?

3389784452_0d3e79d4cc.jpg

The belly. With the... rudder thing.

3388974255_cbb94ceb10.jpg

The super parts. Nice.

3388974749_a63db8e62c.jpg

The radome is here

3389785814_d3f8113a60.jpg

I am sorry that I force myself not to transform it and pose it. I should be studying, not playing or net-surfing! Me bad.

Edited by ff95gj

I have 2 exams tomorrow... So I can only go this far...

3388973525_c50b11a0e1.jpg

The green in the breast and shield is different from the other parts! Seems I'll have to keep it in Super Mode.

Thats weird! The shield, upper intakes, hip guns, radome and wings look to be a different green from the rest of the plane! Is it supposed to be this way?? The model kit doesn't seem to indicate these colours, even for the paint colours. Also, the SMS logos on the model kit are orange like Alto's model rather than yellow like Ozma's model-- whereas in this toy the logos are yellow?

All these point to sloppy workmanship on the RVF-25! I don't think I will be getting these until an improved edition comes out.

rvf-25-fighter.jpg

Edited by edwin3060

Personally, I got over the aesthetic issues a long time ago. In my experience, though, if they sacrificed those details to make a durable and playable toy, then they failed in every count, because mine is neither durable nor playable. And yeah, I'm gonna make comparisons to the model because THAT VF-25 STAYS TOGETHER AND THE DX ONE DOESN'T. And no, I didn't glue the kit together or anything.

Im agree, my VF-25F turned into display piece after two days and three transformations when the toy starting to lose paint ... SMS stamp ... numbers ... chest lines ... only putting the fingers over during transformations :huh: , also is fair compare the toy cos we are not comparing Bandai and Yamato, we are comparing VF-25 models. ;)

After see the "two greens" my choice is turned on, cancelled my pre-orders of RVF-25 and VF-25 armour, looking for model-kit stuff.

I've been saying this since the start! A PG Grade 1/60 MF model kit, since the normal 1/72s are considered MG level. With a PG grade, we could even have movable flaps and other interesting stuff! It's not likely to happen though. There doesn't even seem to be much progress with the model kits after the VF-25 series is done. :(

You are not the only that was dreaming with that ... a PG 1/60 could be epic :rolleyes:

Edited by SVF-Gerwalk

Thats weird! The shield, upper intakes, hip guns, radome and wings look to be a different green from the rest of the plane! Is it supposed to be this way?? The model kit doesn't seem to indicate these colours, even for the paint colours. Also, the SMS logos on the model kit are orange like Alto's model rather than yellow like Ozma's model-- whereas in this toy the logos are yellow?

All these point to sloppy workmanship on the RVF-25! I don't think I will be getting these until an improved edition comes out.

I don't think the greens are different for those areas in the lineart. :angry:

It's not painted job which would be understandable... Why would molded parts have different green?

(The other green looks like the plastic has been oxidized by sunlight! Just a feeling)

Edited by ff95gj

The commercial pics for the VF-25G had the underside of the intakes in the correct colour as well, but on the toy itself it is blue rather than green.

I guess we'll have to wait for more people to post pictures before we can make a definitive statement, but from what it looks like now I don't think Bandai has done a very good job on these toys-- PR interviews aside.