Official Bandai 1/60 Scale DX Toy Thread Ver.4

azrael

The leg problem is caused by a desing that only have one position, fast pack position, so the legs dont fit at all in figther mode, allways stay in lower position :angry: , here a comparation of DX with the exelent kit model:

Thanks for the photos. I can see how that's annoying, but it doesn't seem like a deal breaker to me right now. Maybe I'll feel differently when I see it in my hands. Oh well I guess that won't be for a while since I won't go to Japan for half a year or so. Maybe I'll try to pick up a 1/72 model so I can have a perfect looking version of a VF-25.

Confirmed, the leg parts for the Armored pack do have their own rear landing gear.

The latest pics in the new issue of 'Figure Oh' magazine, show the Armored pack rear landing gear in the open position. Will scan and post when I have time.

Graham

Confirmed, the leg parts for the Armored pack do have their own rear landing gear.

The latest pics in the new issue of 'Figure Oh' magazine, show the Armored pack rear landing gear in the open position. Will scan and post when I have time.

Graham

Sweet. Can't wait for the scans. Do they show the full armoured pack on the VF-25? Or is it just the partial pack or the clear prototype. Thanks, Graham!

Edited by edwin3060

In the real Macross universe, DYRL is only a movie, so Max never piloted a VF-1S... I think?

Sorry that I don't remember that flashback scene... 16.gif

In the "real" Macross universe, neither the tv series nor the movie are exactly what happened. I think it's a pretty safe bet to say the flashback scenes, which are not from DYRL, are pretty much from the true events.

In the "real" Macross universe, neither the tv series nor the movie are exactly what happened. I think it's a pretty safe bet to say the flashback scenes, which are not from DYRL, are pretty much from the true events.

Wait a minute... I am confused... The TV series is not telling the true events? Who said that?

SK has stated many of times that the "REAL" events of the first Macross war is in between the TV series and the Movie. So neither of them are truly accurate according to his definition and reasoning

SK has stated many of times that the "REAL" events of the first Macross war is in between the TV series and the Movie. So neither of them are truly accurate according to his definition and reasoning

He says that as a set up so he can tell the 'real story' when he eventually re-makes SDFM. :p

Man I wish that would happen. I will always hold the original dear but I'd love to see it re-done with Frontier-grade animation.

Thanks for the information. I am still confused though; the events are between the TV and the movie? "Between" means the timeline (which shouldn't be I guess?), or "some events are true in TV, and some events are true in the movie"?

Thanks again everyone for the education. ^_^

Either way, that doesn't affect the flashback, which was from Macross 7 right? So I guess we can safely say that Hikaru and Max both piloted the VF-1S at the same time side by side.

I'm just whiling away the time till Graham posts his magazine scans of the Armoured pack :p

Thanks for the information. I am still confused though; the events are between the TV and the movie? "Between" means the timeline (which shouldn't be I guess?), or "some events are true in TV, and some events are true in the movie"?

Thanks again everyone for the education. ^_^

Some events in the series are true, and some events in the movie are true, but neither as a whole are true. Confusing I know. It is his way of getting around his retcon of the designs and other stuff that was shown in DYRL and has continued in every sequel since.

These guys from HK beats you to it:

http://www.toy-world.com.hk/maga/fk/03_2008/

Macross stuff from fk014.jpg to fk036.jpg, cover tons of thing.

Note they may fix the link once they realize it should be 04_2008 insterad of 03_2008.

These guys from HK beats you to it:

http://www.toy-world.com.hk/maga/fk/03_2008/

Macross stuff from fk014.jpg to fk036.jpg, cover tons of thing.

Note they may fix the link once they realize it should be 04_2008 insterad of 03_2008.

The interview between Bandai's Collector's Toy Division rep and Kawamori is a must read.

VERY interesting comments from Kawamori regarding the DX toy. Page 16 and 17.

It appears he was involved in the design of the toy more so than any of us imagined.

He thought it was going to be as easy as the VF-1 but making a toy of the VF-25 was harder than he thought!

Bandai's guy realizes that they were not able to get it anime correct like the plamo in certain areas. However Kawamori says that it's something that at times can not be helped in regards to chogoukins especially when factoring in elements like locking mechanisms, product safety, and strength. Despite that, he feels it turned out quite nicely.

On page 7 he says he wants a VF-27 and VF-171 made soon. I think that's his hint to Bandai. Bandai's guy says he'd like to get them made as well. Also says he'd like to get a VF100s VF-171 made.

Edited by Vifam7

Thanks for the link!

Well I guess SK himself talking about the difficulties of the DX toy will soothe some of the detractors of the design.

On a related note-- the VF-25S Armoured finally has the back of the legs sticking up past the fuselage! (Scans page 17) After the disappointment of the original and the Super packs, it is good to know that some anime accuracy in that area has been achieved at least ^_^

Page 19 needs some translation--- it concerns the Super packs exclusive release, but there is a heading where the VF-25S and Alto's name are together! Is this the rumored VF-25S Alto version? Translation please! (Highlighted red words in the middle of the page)

Also on page 19--- seems like the re-issued VF-25S and VF-25F will be late March (i.e. this week or next?) I don't see anything on the Super pack release date though??

I wish the VF-27 would come out too! but it seems that the transformation would be even more complicated than the VF-25, especially because of the weird quad-canards on the front-- those things are really out of place and can potentially break easily during transformation, which would violate the chogokin durability rule. Hopefully we will get at least a 1/72 kit though ;).

The VF-171 is definitely more doable, I hope Bandai does a better job on it than their old VF-17. I also hope that the missiles that come with Luca's web exclusive kit will be compatible with the VF-171 DX toy!

It actually validates my assertion that the DX looks the way it does out of necessary compromise due to the materials and not that it's the design Kawamori actually had in mind or wanted.

Though he does say he got what he wanted from the chogokin toy.

So does that make Kawamori an inexperienced third party Chinese designer?

LOL! I still like the DX line even though it's not line accurate.

page 17 doesn't look like the VF-25 leg is higher up in jet mode. looks the same to me but now with armor parts.

I take it to mean that he is satisfied that the chogokin is the best it could possibly be given the constraints of durability, materials, etc.

For my part I'm just glad that the DX toy finally has a variant where the backs of the legs actually look good and the bent wings are covered by the missile pods to boot! That, along with the supposedly fixed neck on the reissue VF-25S, is probably as close to perfection for the DX VF-25 line as you can get, even if the armour pack landing gear is probably going to make it look like a drag racer on the ground.

Now, on to the VF-27 and the VF-171!!

Edited by edwin3060

LOL! I still like the DX line even though it's not line accurate.

page 17 doesn't look like the VF-25 leg is higher up in jet mode. looks the same to me but now with armor parts.

Yes the position of the leg itself is the same, but the top of the armour on the back of the legs is actually above the fuselage now, as in the lineart for the Armoured variant, unlike the DX toy or even the super parts.

True. And I'm not debating that. I'm just saying it clears up the speculation that the DX is more faithful to the lineart than the show or that it was based off of a more finalized design. It is what it is and that includes some necessary compromises.

And again, if they just fix the leg positioning in fighter mode, and I'm a stickler for this because the nacelles are a prominent feature of the design which is one of the few differentiating features from the VF-1 in fighter mode, I'll live with the other compromises and happily plop down my money for one.

Some additional notes from the Figure Oh article -

Kawamori really liked the way the shoulder turned out sturdy with the use of diecast metal. This was one area he was concerned about in terms of sturdiness. He is also happy that the articulation turned out nicely. The Bandai rep says the initial prototype had difficulty raising the shoulders and after floating many ideas it was decided to simply use the transformation system as part of the joints. Lo and behold he says it worked great.

There is one area Kawamori wishes he attended to better - the shield. He says that he should've designed the shield attachment simpler. That had he done so, it would've done away with attaching the shield support part and would've allowed the back to fully cover the canopy in battroid mode. He regrets this point and admits it's something he needs to put in mind.

*I don't have the DX toy yet. Does anyone know what he's talking about in regards to the shield?

Some additional notes from the Figure Oh article -

Kawamori really liked the way the shoulder turned out sturdy with the use of diecast metal. This was one area he was concerned about in terms of sturdiness. He is also happy that the articulation turned out nicely. The Bandai rep says the initial prototype had difficulty raising the shoulders and after floating many ideas it was decided to simply use the transformation system as part of the joints. Lo and behold he says it worked great.

There is one area Kawamori wishes he attended to better - the shield. He says that he should've designed the shield attachment simpler. That had he done so, it would've done away with attaching the shield support part and would've allowed the back to fully cover the canopy in battroid mode. He regrets this point and admits it's something he needs to put in mind.

*I don't have the DX toy yet. Does anyone know what he's talking about in regards to the shield?

the back plate in battroid doesn't fully cover the canopy of the cockpit when looking at it from the side.

True. And I'm not debating that. I'm just saying it clears up the speculation that the DX is more faithful to the lineart than the show or that it was based off of a more finalized design. It is what it is and that includes some necessary compromises.

I never buy that one... The valkyrie is not "final" in the show, but in some other linearts? 45.gif

And of course he's "happy" with the DX... It wouldn't be nice to say "I hate it but I need to push it out of the door". When the next generation of MF toys releases (not until a few years from now), we may learn more truth in another interview. 16.gif

I understand that there are compromises to be made; but I am unsure that with current technologies (look at all those Chogokins!) we need to compromise that much.

17.gif

I never buy that one... The valkyrie is not "final" in the show, but in some other linearts? 45.gif

And of course he's "happy" with the DX... It wouldn't be nice to say "I hate it but I need to push it out of the door". When the next generation of MF toys releases (not until a few years from now), we may learn more truth in another interview. 16.gif

I understand that there are compromises to be made; but I am unsure that with current technologies (look at all those Chogokins!) we need to compromise that much.

17.gif

well, it's open to debate and we could get into discussion on some of the nuances of Japanese culture specifically the ideas of 'face' and 'social harmony' but I'm going to chose to accept what the article says at face value.