Official Bandai 1/60 Scale DX Toy Thread Ver.4

azrael

Well, I just got home from work and opened up the box for Luca. I think I got one of the truly bad ones.

I immediately saw that mine had 4 shades of green. The nose/cockpit area and main backplate were the brightest shade of green. The two wing root pieces connected to the backplate are a different slightly less bright shade of green. The wings, chest and shield were a grayish green. Finally, the back part of the legs were a touch more green than the the shield.

Also, the left side LERX paint came pre-chipped in two areas, and the ELINT antenna is bent a bit at the tip.

That's what I saw within the first minute of holding it. I'll update here when I have time to mess with it more.

On an higher note, the radome is fun to spin and spins very well. smile.gif

I'd say take it back. Anytime I've had a really bad toy I've taken it back.

I'd say take it back. Anytime I've had a really bad toy I've taken it back.

I would if I could, but I live in the US and it was shipped to me overseas from Overdrive. It would cost me another $30-40 just to send it back.

Anyway, here are some other findings. I experimented viewing it under different lights. Under normal incandescent lights of soft white variety, it looks as I described. Under fluorescent bulbs of 3500k color temperature or lower, it also looks as I described. Under fluorescent lights of 5500k color temp (closer to daylight), the colors magically become much more similar. More like the best case scenario pics seen so far on the net.

I'll post pics after I take some to show the difference.

Edit: Just to clarify. I don't really mean I can't ship it back. Just that I'd be out $70-80 in shipping with it being shipped here and then shipping it back just to have nothing in the end.

Here are some comparison pics. I don't think anyone has shown the same toy under different lighting yet so maybe this will help. The camera actually still caught more difference even in the 5500k color temp lighting, but it still looks improved over other lights. These pics were taken with no white balancing, contrast adjustments, or any other edits other than resizing.

3500k lighting

post-10222-1238632078_thumb.jpg post-10222-1238632086_thumb.jpg

post-10222-1238632094_thumb.jpg

5500k lighting

post-10222-1238632103_thumb.jpg post-10222-1238632113_thumb.jpg

post-10222-1238632121_thumb.jpg

Edited by MacrossJunkie

Okay wow wow wow, I missed something, looked back and couldn't really find it, WHERE are these super parts at?

They were on preorder from OverDrive or ToykoHunter.

Save has a few in the For Sale section.

Picked up two RVF-25 DX from my usual Bandai supplier last night. I took them out of the box and examined them in the shop under the shop's flourescent lighting, but couldn't really detect much noticable color difference with the green plastic.

Haven't had time to take them out of the box at home and examine them yet though.

Graham

Is it me or does MacrossJunkie's Luca VF-25 have legs that stick up a bit more in fighter mode? Maybe its just the camera angle? I don't know it looks a little better than photos I've seen of Alto or Ozma DXs.

Is it me or does MacrossJunkie's Luca VF-25 have legs that stick up a bit more in fighter mode? Maybe its just the camera angle? I don't know it looks a little better than photos I've seen of Alto or Ozma DXs.

I believe someone posted a few pages back a trick to do this - something about not fully inserting the peg on the wings or somethings. The side effect is that the legs will touch the floor when grounded.

I had pushed it up more because I couldn't stand it being so low.

More observations:

Shoulders are much tighter than my 25G.

Left foot guard is really loose and just flops down. It won't stay up. I'll have to inject some glue or nail polish to get it to stay better.

Unless I'm not doing something right, I can't actually fold the wings back as far as you're supposed to in battroid because the radome gets in the way.

Crotch lock is still pretty good on this one.

Legs feel a bit tighter than my 25G.

Head antennae seem pretty straight and evenly shaped despite being made of pvc.

Hip armor seems even tighter than my 25G which was pretty good already.

Crotch armor stays on pretty good like my 25G as well.

There's an even greater gap between the shield and arm to make room for the ELINT Antenna.

The shield is pretty loose on the arm and have had it fall off a couple times already.

And finally some pics of the same toy with the super packs attached.

post-10222-1238641299_thumb.jpgpost-10222-1238641308_thumb.jpg

post-10222-1238641318_thumb.jpgpost-10222-1238641329_thumb.jpg

post-10222-1238641338_thumb.jpgpost-10222-1238641347_thumb.jpg

It definitely looks better with the packs on to both hide miscolored areas and to break up the colors so that the mismatching greens are not directly adjacent to each other.

Even under normal lighting, the difference in greens seems much smaller and definitely tolerable with the super packs on.

hate to say it, cause I'm red and green color blind......but I don't really see much of any change in shades of green on there....it all kind of looks the same. Maybe it's good lighting for those pictures? I dunno, besides the bent antenna and the double 004 shoulders, it doesn't look bad.

One thing that I noticed last night on my 25G is that the outer piece of the left leg that lifts out for the stabilizer with the unit number on it (I'm sure that there's a more technical name for them, but I don't know what it is) doesn't click together at the bottom of the shin. The right one does, however, and stays together very nicely. Has anyone else experienced this on a DX?

I suspect this whole color difference thing is something which is much more visible in photos and not so much with the naked eye.

Unless I was lucky, I certainly couldn't see much (if any) difference with my two.

Graham.

And finally some pics of the same toy with the super packs attached.

It definitely looks better with the packs on to both hide miscolored areas and to break up the colors so that the mismatching greens are not directly adjacent to each other.

Even under normal lighting, the difference in greens seems much smaller and definitely tolerable with the super packs on.

That looks really good. Thanks for the pics.

Does anyone else get a kind of sick joy from dismantling their toys to see how they tick? :unsure: When I observed my Alto was starting to get a bit loose in the hip lock I just ripped apart the entire groin assembly to see what was inside. For those who would want to alter the lock to include a locking bar it would be devilishly easy to cut out a bit of the T-bar to make a "hook" and thread a nice heavy gauge brass rod through the inside of the groin. There's a bit of flexibility in the lock so that it could be locked into position by pulling the hip part down once its in, and then released by pushing up on it again when you want to release it.

If a Super Armor Alto gets announced I'll order that one and use this as my modification testbed :lol:

I'm tempted now to continue dismantling it to see how much I can get apart. If it's easy to get to the waist joint I might look into installing a heavy spring to put some tension there and make it a bit tighter.

Edited by QuinJester

My 25g contribution:

post-10971-1238647810_thumb.jpg

Flip the sniper rifle around and attach the connector thingy.

post-10971-1238647874_thumb.jpg

Wedge the connector between the wrists.

post-10971-1238647965_thumb.jpg

You can't 'whoosh' around with it like that, but it does the job for display without mutilating anything.

Also a few layers of super glue(with the brush applicator) on the thigh armor attach points have helped it stay nice and snug.

And please, attach it when it's dry...lol

Does anyone else get a kind of sick joy from dismantling their toys to see how they tick? :unsure: When I observed my Alto was starting to get a bit loose in the hip lock I just ripped apart the entire groin assembly to see what was inside. For those who would want to alter the lock to include a locking bar it would be devilishly easy to cut out a bit of the T-bar to make a "hook" and thread a nice heavy gauge brass rod through the inside of the groin. There's a bit of flexibility in the lock so that it could be locked into position by pulling the hip part down once its in, and then released by pushing up on it again when you want to release it.

If a Super Armor Alto gets announced I'll order that one and use this as my modification testbed :lol:

I'm tempted now to continue dismantling it to see how much I can get apart. If it's easy to get to the waist joint I might look into installing a heavy spring to put some tension there and make it a bit tighter.

Don't get sick joy per se, but feel some accomplishment when I was able to tighten the diecast left crotch hinge, with the entire crotch block taken apart, as well as tightening the left hip ball joint. You might be surprised on what made it work. Dental floss and clear food wrap. :lol:

But some areas are really hard to take apart, as the screw hole covers are very tight and flushed. Won't be able to get those suckers out unless you scratch and pry them open and damage the plastic.

Edited by mpchi

I wonder what's the deal with anime man-boys with the Lancia Delta? Frontier has it and so does OO Gundam.

Maybe it's because the Lancia Delta Integrale is a bad-arse car?

My VF-25G and RVF-25 should be here by the end of the week. I hope they don't suck :(

Vostok 7

Maybe it's because the Lancia Delta Integrale is a bad-arse car?

No need to tell me that. Just wished they'd use something less, um, famous? ^_^ Maybe a Stratos since the Gundam character shares the same name anyway but hey, that's for another thread. Sorry for the derailment.

No need to tell me that. Just wished they'd use something less, um, famous? ^_^ Maybe a Stratos since the Gundam character shares the same name anyway but hey, that's for another thread. Sorry for the derailment.

I'm pretty sure there's been other animes with the Stratos. And of course, there's the uber-sexy Alpine A310 in Evangelion.

The Japanese sure love their old school rally cars ^_^ Not that there is anything wrong with that!

Anyhoo, how about that multi-colored plastic?

Vostok 7

I suspect this whole color difference thing is something which is much more visible in photos and not so much with the naked eye.

Unless I was lucky, I certainly couldn't see much (if any) difference with my two.

Graham.

Got my RVF, agreed that it's not as bad as shown in the pics, hardly can see the different. Only problem so far is the sms logo and my RVF can smell very strong paint smell when taken out of the box. :blink:

Got my RVF, agreed that it's not as bad as shown in the pics, hardly can see the different. Only problem so far is the sms logo and my RVF can smell very strong paint smell when taken out of the box. :blink:

That smell is normal though. Most toys I open up have that. I like the smell. Technically constitutes a form of substance abuse though B))

That's the only reason I go into gashapon shops in Akiba......duuuude.

That smell is normal though. Most toys I open up have that. I like the smell. Technically constitutes a form of substance abuse though B))

That's the only reason I go into gashapon shops in Akiba......duuuude.

:lol: Maybe coz it's carton fresh, whereas my VF-25G is not, that's y no smell :p

:lol: Maybe coz it's carton fresh, whereas my VF-25G is not, that's y no smell :p

My 25G smells great. New valk smell.

Someone will try to bottle it, like they did with new car smell, and they'll fail. The sad thing is that this is my first "real" valk toy, for which I paid a handsome sum. Already, though, I'm like, this guy needs an ally or an enemy, and the VF-11B and the 1/60 v2 VF-1D are in my sights...

Edited by wintermute

You guys must have gotten good ones then. There was a post a few pages back about how a guy looked at 3 RVFs and how they had color variations compared to each other where one was not so noticable and the other was.

I swear to God that mine looks pretty much like my pics. I immediately saw the color differences when I took it out of the box long before I took any pics and the difference was quite stark in contrast.

If anyone wants to trade their hardly-detectable-color-difference Luca with mine, I'd be happy to trade :)

Not willing to trade but I am happy that the only stand out-color difference on mine is the shield.

Everything else looks good...thankfully I have all the black stripes.

Don't know about the shoulder markings yet.

For my first 1/60 VF-25 the RVF is very nice and WOW is that a box of stuff considering that the stand and armor are included.

One thing that I noticed last night on my 25G is that the outer piece of the left leg that lifts out for the stabilizer with the unit number on it (I'm sure that there's a more technical name for them, but I don't know what it is) doesn't click together at the bottom of the shin. The right one does, however, and stays together very nicely. Has anyone else experienced this on a DX?

Yep, I have that problem. Also, the hip connector is very loose.. gotta find a way to tighten that so his torso doesn't flop back.