Official Bandai 1/60 Scale DX Toy Thread Ver.4

azrael

It's just the nature of the game that companies change and update products all the time based on new research, new developments, new demand. Is Yamato 'alienating' it's valk customers by making their own versions of toys obsolete? Sometimes twice? Is Apple alienating their base by releasing a new kind of iPod sometimes twice per year? There are a lot of customers out there, and what doesn't appeal to one will probably appeal to another. Companies typically know what they're doing, espeically ones that are as well established as Bandai, Yamato, Apple. If they didn't then they wouldn't still be around and they wouldn't be relevant.

I don't presume to know why Bandai or Yamato does what they does. I can speculate, just like the rest of you, but at the end of the day we're not part of the industry (well, mot of us) nor are we as familiar with the industry as many of us like to think we are. Still, I don't think either Bandai or Yamato fumbles around like the drooling idiots so many people characterize them as with all of the "der, dey jus 'tupid!!" posts I've read over the years.

there is a HUGE difference between releasing a product then several years down the line releasing a similar product that offers significant improvements and changes to match improvements in technology and changes in buyer preferences; as apposed to releasing a product then 4 months down the line releasing the EXACT SAME product only now it has 4 holes to accommodate an accessory that it should have been able to from the start.

one of these is good business seance and the other bad planning. It's that old adage "an ounce of prevention," putting in that little extra time and effort early on would have saved them from ending up with egg on their face and would have made them more money in the long run.

Edited by anime52k8

there is a HUGE difference between releasing a product then several years down the line releasing a similar product that offers significant improvements and changes to match improvements in technology and changes in buyer preferences; as apposed to releasing a product then 4 months down the line releasing the EXACT SAME product only now it has 4 holes to accommodate an accessory that it should have been able to from the start.

one of these is good business seance and the other bad planning. It's that old adage "an ounce of prevention," putting in that little extra time and effort early on would have saved them from ending up with egg on their face and would have made them more money in the long run.

Why should they have made it to accomodate an accessory they might not have had any intention of making? Egg on their face? Losing money? Please. That's all nothing but elementary conjecture especially considering how this line only just got started and you have absolutely NO way of knowing if or how much money they will lose.

Look, I'm not saying it doesn't suck that a future accessory may or may not be compatable with an existing toy. It just seems silly to reach for the tar and feathers so quickly with so little information and fact to go on.

It's far more likely that the modifications to Michel and Luca's fighters will be to support the Fold booster and Radome, respectively. I doubt it'll be for the armor. Since Bandai is now retooling the molds for the fighters, that means future versions of Alto and Ozmoa will also have the same holes, even if they wont be mounting the radome or booster. That's probably all it is.

But, you know, mountains, molehills, yadda yadda yadda.

Edited by QuinJester

There is a huge difference between Yamato and Bandai, in terms of both size and how many transforming products they have released.

Bandai is a ginormous (spell check didn't flag ginormous :D) company with many different branches, kinda like Sony. Yamato is a much smaller company that produces niche products.

Bandai isn't worried about losing a few customers because of poor planning on the holes on the early VF-25's, cause they have a gabillion customers to begin with. Not only that, but they are the only game in town when it comes to Macross Frontier toys, so even though people will gripe about it, they will still buy them, just like how people bought the old Yamato VF-11b when they knew it had defective hips, or the VF-0s with the defective shoulders.

Anyone who bought a first run Yamato Valk will know the anger of having a defective product, and then have a "ver. 2" released a few months later. Remember the 1/72 YF-19, VF-11b, 1/60 VF-0s? I think people have come to expect that from Yamato, so they don't blast them anymore on it. Personally, when I drop $100+ on a toy, I expect it to be defect-free, no legs falling off in the box, no flaccid shoulder syndrome, etc.

Yamato has pissed me off more than any other toy company, but I still buy products from them, because no one else offers what they do.

I'm not a fanboy for either company, I'll buy a valkyrie toy from whoever makes one, but is it too much to ask for my money's worth?

Yamato does fill a niche of goods you won't find elsewhere. They 'try' to produce toys that are of the highest visual quality each time they release anything. Whereas Bandai may have taken it safe with the initial DX launch, I'm pretty sure Yamato would have done what they usually do and if they were to release a VF-25, it'd be made as accurate as they could with a much heftier price tag, and thus a smaller market to sell to.

Of course, just because Yamato tries to reach this objective, doesn't mean they always reach it, but it does put them ahead of the other more mainstream producers, but they will always suffer from QC issues because they aren't like the others. Either you have a company that produces a smaller number of highly detailed figures, with higher prices and QC problems or you have one that will produce a lower detail toy at much larger number with lower prices and an inherent ruggedness to the toys. You can only have one or the other, as the business objectives are entirely different. Releasing highly detailed figures raises the prices, leaving you with fewer customers to sell it to, and results in a smaller operation more prone to error... or releasing lower detailed figures in mass production lowers the prices, but increases the scale of production and the ruggedness.

If you buy highly expensive hand made collectors vehicles... But you try to drive it like your average automobile, you're going to run into problems, despite paying an outrageous price tag. Its not like a high price tag automatically makes your collectible also double as a toy - you're going to need to pay an even higher price for that, and your market then becomes even smaller.

Edited by Cent

I just had my DX out again last night \to compare to the 1/100... I think there's a good bunch of crazy in this thread. That toy is fun, I have no paint chipping, it transforms easily, it poses well, and I have absolutely ZERO fear when I handle it. Sure, I'm probably pretty lucky so far on the paint chipping front but I think this toy is EXACTLY what Bandai intended it to be and I think the strong sells just prove that they knew what they were doing even if it irked some of the true line-art diehards that Yamato usually satisfies (ignoring the incorrect head placement on the new 1/60 that irks me to no end). The 1/100 on the other hand... well I guess that's for another thread. Anyway, I wouldn't be surprised if the original DX releases were planned from the get-go to match with future accessories but then Bandai did a little play testing and realized that stuff popped off a little too easily. Some companies might have just released the accessory sets any way only to release a version 2 later after a string of complaints, maybe Bandai is just heading those complaints off. The intention isn't to screw early adopters, it's to NOT screw late adopters. Besides, we still don't know enough to even know what we're complaining about just yet.

they're probably going to lose more money because of dissatisfied customers then they would taking the time to make sure that the product has a way to mount accessories that may be coming out. with a business the most important thing is making the customer happy, because if you alienate a customer not only do you lose his business but you also loose the business of all his friends.

Yeah that applies to Yamato and the durability of their toys too.

Do you guys think 4 little plastic speakers, a 1/60 ranka, and a pod are worth 5,250yen? That's more than $50 USD!

Personally, no. Armor, yes. Speakers and some figurine? No.

Yeah but Manufactures do that all the time. They'll change products from 1 year to the next just to add an option they thought nobody would want or additions so that they can support new products or fix problems that crop up. If I have learned anything working in the Manufacturing sector is to avoid at all costs buying the "first ofs" if possible. You usually end up being their genie pig.

True.

Btw, aren't we jumping the gun a bit? I mean, has anyone positively confirmed that the new armor packs will not fit the current DX toy? One shady pic is not something to base all of this I think.

No one has confirmed anything at all, and yes people are jumping the gun.

You keep using this phrase but you don't know what it means.

Frankly, I don't know what it means either. But I think the crazy gypsy lady off of route 301 might.

you know her too? :blink: she's the one who said to use big words like that to make my posts sound more edumacated. :p

Curse you Bandai. I already have two of the first issue VF-25F Alto DX and two of the first issue VF-25S Ozma DX.

That means as they lack the correct holes, I can't use the Super Fold Booster with any of my first generation DX.

So, if I want to mount the Super Fold Booser on an Alto VF-25F, I'm gonna have to buy an all new Ver. 1.5 with the extra holes when they are released in April.......Grrrrrrrr! :angry: These things are not cheap either!

Really short sighted planning there Bandai.... !!!!!!

Starting to loose patience with these shennanigans. Hopefully Bandai will redeem themselves with the Armoured Pack for the VF-25S.

Graham

Lol. Years of working with/buying from Yamato and you still buy first releases? Who be shortsighted, yo?

The 1/100 on the other hand... well I guess that's for another thread.

Post your thoughts (in the appropriate thread of course)! Let the hatred flow through you! :p

I don't mind the 1/100 but I can't say I would ever recommend it to anyone. Sorta like CMs ride armor - I like it even though I know I should hate it. :D

And I agree about the 1/60. I had mine out again the other day and was having a blast. My one lingering complaint is that I wish the screw holes on the shoulders weren't covered because I'd like to adjust them and I don't know how to pop the covers off without damaging them.

Curse you Bandai. I already have two of the first issue VF-25F Alto DX and two of the first issue VF-25S Ozma DX.

That means as they lack the correct holes, I can't use the Super Fold Booster with any of my first generation DX.

So, if I want to mount the Super Fold Booser on an Alto VF-25F, I'm gonna have to buy an all new Ver. 1.5 with the extra holes when they are released in April.......Grrrrrrrr! :angry: These things are not cheap either!

Really short sighted planning there Bandai.... !!!!!!

Starting to loose patience with these shennanigans. Hopefully Bandai will redeem themselves with the Armoured Pack for the VF-25S.

Graham

I guess if you were feeling a little ambitious, it seems it would be feasible to modify your existing DXs to accomodate the booster as it appears Bandai only made subtractive modifications (made holes) to the existing mold rather than add something to it to allow connecting the booster. From the CG pic, it looks like you would only need to make 4 holes (2 round ones and 2 flatter ones). Not sure what the 5th new hole is for. Of course, you would have to make sure that the holes are lined up properly and of the right size since you wouldn't want them too big or the booster would fall right off.

I guess if you were feeling a little ambitious, it seems it would be feasible to modify your existing DXs to accomodate the booster as it appears Bandai only made subtractive modifications (made holes) to the existing mold rather than add something to it to allow connecting the booster. From the CG pic, it looks like you would only need to make 4 holes (2 round ones and 2 flatter ones). Not sure what the 5th new hole is for. Of course, you would have to make sure that the holes are lined up properly and of the right size since you wouldn't want them too big or the booster would fall right off.

O just sell it now! The 2nd hand market of these 2 is still quite strong. Probably not everyone knows that there is a v1.5 coming.

And also that not everyone is planning to put the new equipments onto their DX. If I have a 25F, being able to wear the Super Parts is okay.

Got my DX Ozma today, yea, have a couple of questions.

1. Is the knife supposed to stow in the shield? Or is that a 1/72 model feature I saw?

2. There is a card included in the manual showing a stand with a release date of 12.25.08 (I think). Has that come out? Is it for the 1/60?

Edited by Spiff

Got my DX Ozma today, yea, have a couple of questions.

1. Is the knife supposed to stow in the shield? Or is that a 1/72 model feature I saw?

2. There is a card included in the manual showing a stand with a release date of 12.25.08 (I think). Has that come out? Is it for the 1/60?

The knife storage is a 1/72 thing, the DX can't do it.

No idea about the stand.

Anybody care to translate?

for DX Chogokin VF-25 Messiah Valkyrie

Ghost and Weapons Set

1. Luca type unmanned Ghost fighter

2. Display stand

3. Fold communications sensor x 2

4. Reaction missiles x 4

5. Missiles (3 types) x 2

* does not include VF-25 Messiah Valkyrie

* can be attached on all VF-25 Messiah Valkyries

Edited by Vifam7

for DX Chogokin VF-25 Messiah Valkyrie

Ghost and Weapons Set

1. Luca type unmanned Ghost fighter

2. Display stand

3. Fold communications sensor x 2

4. Reaction missiles x 4

5. Missiles (3 types) x 2

* does not include VF-25 Messiah Valkyrie

* can be attached on all VF-25 Messiah Valkyries

Thanks for the translation! Is the fold communication sensor the part that goes on the Super pack?

Ok, im confused now

Help me clarify something

1. So the first release VF-25 can't fit the SUPER PACKS or the ARMOR PACKS(GBP)?

How many Tamashi Webshop exclusives are there???

1. Alto Super pack

2. Ozma Super pack

3. VF-25 Messiah Ghost and Weapons Set with ranka figure (This fits all VF-25)

Ok, im confused now

1. So the first release VF-25 can't fit the SUPER PACKS or the ARMOR PACKS(GBP)?

1. Alto Super pack

2. Ozma Super pack

- The super parts would fit on all VF-25. Unsure about the armor pack though.

- The Ghost set and the Ranka sets are 2 sets. Ghost set (Luca set): ghost plus missiles stuffs; the Fold (Michael) set is the one with the fold booster, Ranka and fold speakers.

Ok, im confused now

Here's the best clarification you can get at the moment: NOBODY HERE KNOWS. Anything anyone else says, weather it proves to be wrong or right in the future, is pure speculation.

Ok, im confused now

1. Alto Super pack

2. Ozma Super pack

The 1st release VF-25 should be able to fit the Super packs, since they were pictured with it on at trade shows. They could be resin prototypes though.

As for the Tamashi webshop exclusives, there are 4:

1) Alto Super

2) Ozma Super

3) Ghost+Weapons

4) Superfold booster + Ranka

Ok, im confused now

1. Alto Super pack

2. Ozma Super pack

lets see

the SUPER parts will fit first release figures

the ARMOR parts MAY or MAY NOT fit first release, we don't know.

the web shop exclusives are

1. Alto super pack

2. Ozma super pack

3. 1 Ghost plus several missiles (for lucas set but should fit all VF-25's) (you'll need to buy three to get all of luca's Ghosts)

4. Galia IV set, with super fold booster, speeker pods and a 1/60th scale ranka (set is meant for Micheal's valk, the fold Booster MAY or MAY NOT fit first issue VF-25's)

Well, best day evar.

Found a 2100en 1/60 Alto.

The reason for the low price? The guy at the store told me that it was broken at the neck. I look, only to find that it has been modded with the white double-hinged Revoltech joint. In my mind, i was like "but that makes it even cooler! Broken!?

Next he tells me that it's all marked and dirty. Yep, with a pretty cool custom paintjob.

He then tells me that it's been befouled with dirty decals. Yeah......which further increase the awesomeness. (and what IS with these "No STEP" decals? Who is walking all over the Valks in the first place?)

So I happily payed the obscenely low amount and plan on selling my boxed Alto.

YAR.

Edited by Alex

Well, best day evar.

Found a 2100en 1/60 Alto.

The reason for the low price? The guy at the store told me that it was broken at the neck. I look, only to find that it has been modded with the white double-hinged Revoltech joint. In my mind, i was like "but that makes it even cooler! Broken!?

Next he tells me that it's all marked and dirty. Yep, with a pretty cool custom paintjob.

He then tells me that it's been befouled with dirty decals. Yeah......which further increase the awesomeness. (and what IS with these "No STEP" decals? Who is walking all over the Valks in the first place?)

So I happily payed the obscenely low amount and plan on selling my boxed Alto.

YAR.

"one man's trash is another guy's treasure..."

EDIT - the guy probably nicked it... :p

Web Shop Exclusive VF-25F Alto Full Armor Pack Coming Soon!

http://tamashiiwebshouten.jp/

76012242.jpg

exclusive?!?!?!? *%#*&%$#! why couldn't they just come out w/ a bundled set like the ozma... <_<

Edited by m0n5t3r

"one man's trash is another guy's treasure..."

exclusive?!?!?!? *%#*&%$#! why couldn't they just come out w/ a bundled set like the ozma... <_<

they probebly will, eventually. it would be nice though if they actually showed something of the actual product.

Isn't it that it's web-exclusive to be curse-worthy?

I think standalone packs are better than bundled sets...

The VF-25S will be the only DX I am getting. For the forseeable future (and I am short-sighted). I am hoping that with the movie coming, Bandai gets an excuse to issue new VF-25's so we have a better mold.

"If a man does not dream, he is not different from a salty fish."

Edited by ff95gj