Official Bandai 1/60 Scale DX Toy Thread Ver.4

azrael

Some theories:

Perhaps Bandai didn't really knew how well these would sell so they didn't bother making the initial 25s with holes to accomodate armor. No reason to waste the money designing something that wouldn't be produced.

Perhaps their original design for the armor didn't require holes at all, but later on after the Alto and Ozma were released they realized it needed extra holes for a more solid connection.

Perhaps the holes are there for a reason we haven't guessed yet.

Perhaps Bandai watches us and knows how quickly Macross World escalates into EXTREME PANIC mode. Amused by this, they thought it would be fun to toss a little fuel on the fire by releasing "OMG HOELZ!!" pics when in fact the final production piece will feature no such holes.

Perhaps the holes are there to accomodate a stand that will hold a tiny cello with which you can play yourself a sad and haunting Yo Yo Ma song when you are ultimately disappointed by the DX 25.

Or, alternately, the holes will hold a bowl to collect the tears of joy you shed over getting such an incredible toy. These tears can then be mailed to Bandai to get 10% off the next DX toy!

Isn't speculation fun? ;)

Edited by eriku

Or, alternately, the holes will hold a bowl to collect the tears of joy you shed over getting such an incredible toy. These tears can then be mailed to Bandai to get 10% off the next DX toy!

I hope this is true! It will probably be for Japan residents only though :( Maybe Overdrive can help us mail our tears :p

Perhaps Bandai didn't really knew how well these would sell so they didn't bother making the initial 25s with holes to accomodate armor. No reason to waste the money designing something that wouldn't be produced.

If it is for full armor(the heavy one) then it makes sense as Ozma and Alto's25's were the only ones seen with that kind of armor on.

The DX toy is not a model kit, or a resin kit, or a scratchbuild! Drilling should be strictly unnecessary! Besides, you can't fix the landing gear bay hinges even if you have a drill. :) As to the holes, whats the point of having some there and some missing anyway? The DX already has holes for the Super parts. It just shows that Bandai wasn't looking far ahead enough.

Hopefully the Armoured VF-25S will look good...

true true : but Dx contains palstic

as for the landing gear I was just thinking about making them longer

:lol:

Edited by Ghostkiller

true true : but Dx contains palstic

as for the landing gear I was just thinking about making them longer

:lol:

I wonder if they can make the gears telescope? Weird I know, but if space is an issue... Of course, it's got to be really tight to manage the weight.

I wonder if they can make the gears telescope? Weird I know, but if space is an issue... Of course, it's got to be really tight to manage the weight.

Bandai sure didn't do a great job on the landing gear length. But looking at the structure of the toy and where the landing gear sits, there is really not much room to make them much longer, unless they telescope like some suggested. But sustaining the weight of the fighter will be an issue, and it may still not have enough height for the sniper rifle. Given the main structure of where the joints and parts are separated, I guess Bandai chose to sacrifice the relatively smaller concern, and just have it long enough for all, other than Michel's with the sniper rifle, rather than scrap the whole design and go back to the drawing board. Still sucks in a way, but just wanna point out that if the landing gears are longer with longer gear bay, then something else will have to give too (how about losing the ratchet knee or longer nose/torso for the front?) and will have a rippling effect to create more things to complain about. But with all things considered, I do feel that Bandai can do better than this. But I wouldn't go so far to say this DX VF-25 sucks.

And for those that think Bandai was blindly praised by the majority here, I think you need to check on more of the older threads. Sound more like Bandai had been beaten to a pulp and barely breathing til now. :lol:

Telescopic and rotating landing gear with locking mechanism to stop them collapsing under the weight of the toy is perfectly feasible in 1/60 scale.

One of the members here once built and sent me a working prototype to show Yamato.

It worked damn well.

Graham

If it is for full armor(the heavy one) then it makes sense as Ozma and Alto's25's were the only ones seen with that kind of armor on.

Except that these holes will apparently be on the DX RVF-25 and VF-25G as well--- it's as if Bandai was producing all the Altos and Ozma and suddenly realised-- oops! we need more holes! :rolleyes:

Re: Landing gear length-- all the info we had so far is that they would be changing the landing gear bay doors, not the landing gears themself. I'd like longer landing gears too--- and looking at the lower part of the legs having longer landing gears could be easily achieved by having the 1/60 YF-21 design of folding landing gears, and the front landing gears could be extended if they didn't have that useless hidden waist joint.

Telescopic and rotating landing gear with locking mechanism to stop them collapsing under the weight of the toy is perfectly feasible in 1/60 scale.

One of the members here once built and sent me a working prototype to show Yamato.

It worked damn well.

Graham

But will Yamato make use of the prototype? How long ago was this?

Tamashii Web Shop Exclusive Gallia 4 (Super Fold Booster, Speaker Pods, 1/60 Ranka Lee) Set.

http://tamashii.jp/event/event_t.php?eid=00030

exset.jpg

Regular price - 5,250yen

Orders open on 25 March and close on 24 April.

Discount Price (using discount coupon included with DX VF-25G) - 4,200yen (3 purchases allowed per coupon)

Orders for purchases made with discount coupon on 27 April.

Release date: Late July

Edited by IXTL

Tamashii Web Shop Exclusive Gallia 4 (Super Fold Booster, Speaker Pods, 1/60 Ranka Lee) Set.

http://hk.rd.yahoo.com/blog/mod/art_title/...ticle?mid=21669

exset.jpg

Regular price - 5,250yen

Discount Price (using discount coupon included with DX VF-25G) - 4,200yen (3 purchases allowed per coupon)

Looks like the Fold booster will require the new holes to fit onto the VF-- which justifies the need for the RVF/-25G to have those holes as well.

Still doesn't discount the feeling that Bandai rushed the first two releases out without proper planning though.

http://hk.rd.yahoo.com/blog/mod/art_title/...ticle?mid=21669

exset.jpg

Regular price - 5,250yen

Nice! One question though:

If Ranka is 25 mm tall... doesn't that make her taller / bigger than the actual pilots? :blink:

Nice! One question though:

If Ranka is 25 mm tall... doesn't that make her taller / bigger than the actual pilots? :blink:

25mm x 60 = 150cm, so it's the right size...

And I just measured the height of the maintenance crew figures of the 1/60 Defender, and they are around 2.8-3.0 cm. So it seems to be fine.

Didn't measure the pilots (difficu... okay, lazy), but they look in the right scale too. Maybe except Mr. Tomahawk pilot...

:S

what he meant was in comparison with the DX chogokin pilots, not ur destroid pilot or maintenance crew...

the DX chogokin pilots are much smaller than the 1/60 pilots done by yamato.

so although a 2.5cm Ranka might be correct in terms of scale,

the DX chogokin pilots are not in scale :(

:S

what he meant was in comparison with the DX chogokin pilots, not ur destroid pilot or maintenance crew...

the DX chogokin pilots are much smaller than the 1/60 pilots done by yamato.

so although a 2.5cm Ranka might be correct in terms of scale,

the DX chogokin pilots are not in scale :(

My fault... always think about the Macross 1/60 series as the same line...

http://tamashii.jp/event/event_t.php?eid=00030

exset.jpg

Curse you Bandai. I already have two of the first issue VF-25F Alto DX and two of the first issue VF-25S Ozma DX.

That means as they lack the correct holes, I can't use the Super Fold Booster with any of my first generation DX.

So, if I want to mount the Super Fold Booser on an Alto VF-25F, I'm gonna have to buy an all new Ver. 1.5 with the extra holes when they are released in April.......Grrrrrrrr! :angry: These things are not cheap either!

Really short sighted planning there Bandai.... !!!!!!

Starting to loose patience with these shennanigans. Hopefully Bandai will redeem themselves with the Armoured Pack for the VF-25S.

Graham

I think fold booster use the old holes.

The description writes that it suits for evry type of VF-25.

Camopare with VF-25F battriod ver.1

My idea is that the lower two holes use for super pack, and the upper two holes use for fold booster.

Also, compare with ver 1.5

the new holes are upper than those old holes in battriod mode.

Edited by shinjizh

Still doesn't discount the feeling that Bandai rushed the first two releases out without proper planning though.

Starting to loose patience with these shennanigans. Hopefully Bandai will redeem themselves with the Armoured Pack for the VF-25S.

It's not like Yamato did anything different, the v1 1/60 VF-1A Hikaru and others in that line did not have the proper holes drilled in for FAST packs until later on. Also none of us know for sure if the packs pictured are incompatible with the 1st run 25's.

Edited by Shin Densetsu Kai 7.0

It's not like Yamato did anything different, the v1 1/60 VF-1A Hikaru and others in that line did not have the proper holes drilled in for FAST packs until later on. Also none of us know for sure if the packs pictured are incompatible with the 1st run 25's.

which reinforces the point that Bandai is 6~7 years behind Yamato in terms of macross products.

Yes, but just because their competitor made a mistake years ago doesn't mean that Bandai has to come along and make the same mistake, right? It is always better to learn from the mistakes of others.

I still think it's fully within the realm of logic that Bandai was just practicing cautionary business and, not knowing how well these toys would sell, didn't bother designing them to be compatible with the full armor, ghost pack, etc. It's only short-sighted in terms of them not wanting to waste money on an uncertain venture. Sure, they could study the rest of the Macross oeuvre and get a good idea of how well toys would sell from those series, but when they were developing the Frontier valks they probably didn't know enough to make much of a gamble with. Why spend the money developing a full set of armor when, for all they knew, nobody would buy the valks to go with them?

I still think it's fully within the realm of logic that Bandai was just practicing cautionary business and, not knowing how well these toys would sell, didn't bother designing them to be compatible with the full armor, ghost pack, etc. It's only short-sighted in terms of them not wanting to waste money on an uncertain venture. Sure, they could study the rest of the Macross oeuvre and get a good idea of how well toys would sell from those series, but when they were developing the Frontier valks they probably didn't know enough to make much of a gamble with. Why spend the money developing a full set of armor when, for all they knew, nobody would buy the valks to go with them?

how is that good business seance though? they're probably going to lose more money because of dissatisfied customers then they would taking the time to make sure that the product has a way to mount accessories that may be coming out. with a business the most important thing is making the customer happy, because if you alienate a customer not only do you lose his business but you also loose the business of all his friends.

Yeah but Manufactures do that all the time. They'll change products from 1 year to the next just to add an option they thought nobody would want or additions so that they can support new products or fix problems that crop up. If I have learned anything working in the Manufacturing sector is to avoid at all costs buying the "first ofs" if possible. You usually end up being their genie pig.

how is that good business seance though? they're probably going to lose more money because of dissatisfied customers then they would taking the time to make sure that the product has a way to mount accessories that may be coming out. with a business the most important thing is making the customer happy, because if you alienate a customer not only do you lose his business but you also loose the business of all his friends.

I suppose it could be good business sense in the case of the product not selling well. Because if the Dx line failed at least Bandai never promised or raised expectation of the fans of releasing armor packs.

Btw, aren't we jumping the gun a bit? I mean, has anyone positively confirmed that the new armor packs will not fit the current DX toy? One shady pic is not something to base all of this I think.

If the speaker set had the level of detail of Yamato's VF-1 v.2 strike pack, I might consider this set. But looking at my 1/60 Alto pilot, I'm hoping Ranka doesn't turn out to just look like a green, red, and yellow blob.

Edited by anotheran

Btw, aren't we jumping the gun a bit? I mean, has anyone positively confirmed that the new armor packs will not fit the current DX toy? One shady pic is not something to base all of this I think.

That's a point I tried to make before, most of the ~PANIC!~ is based on assumptions.

It's just the nature of the game that companies change and update products all the time based on new research, new developments, new demand. Is Yamato 'alienating' it's valk customers by making their own versions of toys obsolete? Sometimes twice? Is Apple alienating their base by releasing a new kind of iPod sometimes twice per year? There are a lot of customers out there, and what doesn't appeal to one will probably appeal to another. Companies typically know what they're doing, especially ones that are as well established as Bandai, Yamato, Apple. If they didn't then they wouldn't still be around and they wouldn't be relevant.

I don't presume to know why Bandai or Yamato do what they do. I can speculate, just like the rest of you, but at the end of the day we're not part of the industry (well, most of us aren't) nor are we as familiar with the industry as many of us like to think we are. Still, I don't think either Bandai or Yamato fumbles around like the drooling idiots so many people characterize them as with all of the "der, dey jus 'tupid!!" posts I've read over the years.

Edited by eriku