Official Bandai 1/60 Scale DX Toy Thread Ver.4

azrael

You didn't extend the ankles out. That is why it's short. ^_^

OMG, I'm such a freakin' fool. I just update the review and the pics. Thanks for the heads-up Negotiator. I guess that's what I get for skipping most of the instructions.

Dang it looks good now!

PS: Here's my super late review of my DX Alto. I do have similar raves and rants about the VF-25 as most of the comments in this tread.

http://loopydetails.com/index.php?/Core-Ar...tom-review.html

Good read and a nice amount of pictures. The fighter mode "from the bottom up" pic and "from behind" pic is really nice. Really shows that bird-like form of the VF-25. The coloring makes it look even more like a crane.

You seem to have a healthy amount of Valkyrie toys in your room. :D

The VF-25 just doesn't have the charm of a VF-1 chunky. Th chunkies are classics that still hold up after the years. I feel the DX VF-25 will be just another crude toy after a while.

I disagree. From the moment I first pulled the DX out of the box I got a heavy and distinct Chunky Monkey vibe. In my eyes it's the new Chunky. In many ways it's better. :)

I disagree. From the moment I first pulled the DX out of the box I got a heavy and distinct Chunky Monkey vibe. In my eyes it's the new Chunky. In many ways it's better. :)

Although I've never once owned a chunky monkey, I actually like the chunkier (read: beefier) proportions of the DX battroid mode. It's unfortunate though, that the fighter and gerwalk mode suffers a little with that regard. Still, I like the overall look enough to want to collect at least all four 25s. By the way, can anyone confirm whether the DX 25G's sniper rifle can be attached in fighter mode? I haven't seen any pics that show this.

I second the chunky vibe on the DX... mighta had something to do with the styrofoam but then, one blast through transformation without a second of fear and I definitely had the vibe going even stronger.

By the way, can anyone confirm whether the DX 25G's sniper rifle can be attached in fighter mode? I haven't seen any pics that show this.

It can but the landing gears are too short to let the plane rest on the ground so it has to be mounted on the display stand when the Dragunov rifle is attached. You can see in the pic below that the rifle sits much lower than the landing gears can go.

1235277720macross22laun.jpg

It can but the landing gears are too short to let the plane rest on the ground so it has to be mounted on the display stand when the Dragunov rifle is attached. You can see in the pic below that the rifle sits much lower than the landing gears can go.

Oh wow, thanks for the reply. The 25G in the pic you posted looks awesome! I suppose the sound booster and ghost add-ons are another special order items from Bandai's Tamashii site? Anyway, I'm glad I pre-ordered the 25G along with the RVF. Now waiting for Ozma's full armor version and some kind of bundled version for the 25F (if they'll release any...).

Oh wow, thanks for the reply. The 25G in the pic you posted looks awesome! I suppose the sound booster and ghost add-ons are another special order items from Bandai's Tamashii site? Anyway, I'm glad I pre-ordered the 25G along with the RVF. Now waiting for Ozma's full armor version and some kind of bundled version for the 25F (if they'll release any...).

No prob. The Speaker Pods, Super Fold Booster and 1/60 Ranka Lee (standing pose as seen in the pic in my earlier post, standing on the pink circle) are sold as an exclusive set from the Tamashii Web Shop. Should be released around August iirc, orders have not started yet. There will be a discount coupon/voucher to order the set online included with the DX VF-25G.

Edited by IXTL

Good read and a nice amount of pictures. The fighter mode "from the bottom up" pic and "from behind" pic is really nice. Really shows that bird-like form of the VF-25. The coloring makes it look even more like a crane.

You seem to have a healthy amount of Valkyrie toys in your room. :D

Thanks.

I've got some wider shots of the diorama in the galleries section of my site. I was so excited about retaking the photos (with the ankles stretched) and fixing my review that I left my memory card stuck in the computer before I left for my sister's house for dinner with the camera. It was a big feast (we even had a huge king crab), and I took many, many precious family photos... not!

When I got home I realized what had happened and I just laughed my stupid head off... I regret nothing!!! :lol:

Edited by D_Unit

Just pre-ordered the armored 25S, but I have to say my patience is starting to wear thin with Bandai. On one hand I'm happy that they are following through with the Fast Packs, Sound Boosters, Missiles, etc unlike their M7 line back in the day (I'm sure the random holes all over the 19's were supposed to be for supplemental accessories that never materialized - anyone able to confirm or deny that hypothesis?), but I was not expecting to have to re-buy the S and F re-releases (my cautious optimism has been dashed), it just seems to point to poor planning and development. I'm starting to wonder if we'll ever see a DX of the 171EX... :( I really hope that the 25S's neck issues are addressed with the re-release if they're going to be changing it up, at least that would be something posative for the valk itself rather than just extra holes. Given all the hoops one has to jump through to get all these things here in the US already, I'm not impressed with the added hassle and financial bite this entails. I mean, it's not like there is a global recession going on or anything... <_<

Oh, and the 25 DX is totally the 'new chunky'. Or at least as close as we'll get with a newer, sleeker valk. Of course, I doubt we'll see it re-released every 10 years or so like the old 1/55 which to me still has appeal today. I suppose you could say that it is an homage to the 1/55 like how Frontier is an homage to the best aspects of the previous Macross stories.

Just pre-ordered the armored 25S, but I have to say my patience is starting to wear thin with Bandai. On one hand I'm happy that they are following through with the Fast Packs, Sound Boosters, Missiles, etc unlike their M7 line back in the day (I'm sure the random holes all over the 19's were supposed to be for supplemental accessories that never materialized - anyone able to confirm or deny that hypothesis?), but I was not expecting to have to re-buy the S and F re-releases (my cautious optimism has been dashed), it just seems to point to poor planning and development. I'm starting to wonder if we'll ever see a DX of the 171EX... :( I really hope that the 25S's neck issues are addressed with the re-release if they're going to be changing it up, at least that would be something posative for the valk itself rather than just extra holes. Given all the hoops one has to jump through to get all these things here in the US already, I'm not impressed with the added hassle and financial bite this entails. I mean, it's not like there is a global recession going on or anything... <_<

Oh, and the 25 DX is totally the 'new chunky'. Or at least as close as we'll get with a newer, sleeker valk. Of course, I doubt we'll see it re-released every 10 years or so like the old 1/55 which to me still has appeal today. I suppose you could say that it is an homage to the 1/55 like how Frontier is an homage to the best aspects of the previous Macross stories.

I agree wholeheartedly. It seems that most of the people here have been "immunised" or "hoodwinked" bu Bandai. While i do agree that the DX is a superbly durable toy, it baffles me that Bandai took a circuitous approach in releasing the variants. it's like one of those, "hey-lets-do-it-this-way" on the spot thinking, no planning as to how to approach the market, seeing as Yamato has done that pretty well lately (and please dont start with giving Bandai a chance speech now, Bandai has to learn to stay competitive, and im pretty sure they have what with their Gundam line being so successful).

also, check out the Yamato 1/60 VF-11b thread; some are annoyed by the small rear fins (and those some people are also here in this thread, praising Bandai)... what about the GLARING weakness of the VF-25 DX where the sniper gun would not allow the VF to LAND!!! :wacko:

that's a MUCH BIGGER mistake/weakness than small tailfins....

Moral of the story: if you want a toy, get Bandai's DX, if you want a toy/model, get Yamato's, if you want a model, get Bandai 1/72s.... Otherwise, stop comparing them as if Bandai is the omnipotent company when they have obviously misplanned their marketing for the DX, not to mention the designs (despite the good durability)

Edited by Gastric

I'm not particulaly pro or anti-Bandai, I just like the VF-25 and want a decent toy of it.

So far, despite it's various issues and inaccuracies, the DX is the best choice IMO.

Graham

My problem with the DX VF-25 is that it's overpriced. Over the weekend, I scouted all over Hong Kong and Kowloon to look for one. So far, I only found them in the Mong Kok district for HK$1,280. In the end, I bought a 1/100 VF-25F (HK$285), a 1/72 VF-25S kit (HK$250) and a 1/72 VF-25S Super Messiah kit (HK$540), as well as a Tenjin Hidetaka Valkyrie illustration book (HK$550).

My problem with the DX VF-25 is that it's overpriced. Over the weekend, I scouted all over Hong Kong and Kowloon to look for one. So far, I only found them in the Mong Kok district for HK$1,280. In the end, I bought a 1/100 VF-25F (HK$285), a 1/72 VF-25S kit (HK$250) and a 1/72 VF-25S Super Messiah kit (HK$540), as well as a Tenjin Hidetaka Valkyrie illustration book (HK$550).

That's the price inflated by the shops, not the price set by Bandai. For 12000 yen toys/ models, typically in HK we expect the price to be around $750 (or lower in many cases, just like your VF-25S kit). So I won't say the DX itself is overpriced... I blame that there're no offical products for the DX line here!

That's the price inflated by the shops, not the price set by Bandai. For 12000 yen toys/ models, typically in HK we expect the price to be around $750 (or lower in many cases, just like your VF-25S kit). So I won't say the DX itself is overpriced... I blame that there're no official products for the DX line here!

Yeah, it ain't cheap wherever I go. At the V-Mall in Greenhills, the DX VF-25S is going for PHP8,900. But the worst example of price gouging is at the Hong Kong Airport, where one of the Duty Free shops has a Yamato 1/60 VF-1J (2.0 without FAST Pack) for HK$1,180.

Yeah, it ain't cheap wherever I go. At the V-Mall in Greenhills, the DX VF-25S is going for PHP8,900. But the worst example of price gouging is at the Hong Kong Airport, where one of the Duty Free shops has a Yamato 1/60 VF-1J (2.0 without FAST Pack) for HK$1,180.

Except Japan, that is. ^_^

Saw the DX selling at lower than 12000 yen on Yahoo Japan - which is typical in Japan because things are normally sold cheaper than the offical price - and thus they are not inflated. The 25S is under 10000 yen.

I hope the re-issues come with clear green blade made of the same material as alto's visors. That would make it look like it's glowing - just like the anime!

I also wished Bandai was listening to some of the suggestions on this forum.

tho... as much as we all wish/complain, I don't think they'll redo the DX mold to look more like the model (i don't recall Bandai redoing molds... like they've never released a better mold to the VF-1 after the chunky monkey). It's sold well so why mess with a working formula.

The price on the first releases should drop after the april re-issues ;)

Edited by edwin3060

You guys should try getting Valks here in SG from the local shops (if you happen to drop by). They're relatively cheap compared to other shops around. I got my DX alto for 200sgd/6200php/12800yen. This price excludes the shipping fees that usually discourage me from ordering online. I even get discounts through preorders. Just one of the perks of residing here. I just preordered my armored 25s for 280sgd. I can't wait for June!

I agree wholeheartedly. It seems that most of the people here have been "immunised" or "hoodwinked" bu Bandai.

It doesn't seem like that at all, you are just surprised that people have warmed up to Bandai's valkyries in a place predominantly populated by Yamato fans. By far, most people here are Yamato loyalists, the only time this place was full of Bandai die-hards was back when MacrossWorld first started, and the sight of a Joons bootleg was reason enough to be excited.

also, check out the Yamato 1/60 VF-11b thread; some are annoyed by the small rear fins (and those some people are also here in this thread, praising Bandai)... what about the GLARING weakness of the VF-25 DX where the sniper gun would not allow the VF to LAND!!! wacko.gif

that's a MUCH BIGGER mistake/weakness than small tailfins....

I don't think anyone here has defended the VF-25G DX for having a sniper rifle that prevents it from sitting on it's landing gear in fighter mode.

The small tail fins on the VF-11B are annoying, they aren't as bad in the newest pictures, but still annoying nonetheless. They aren't the significant improvement that one would expect from Yamato 8 years after releasing their very 1st VF-11B toy. None of Yamato's previous Macross Plus toys in 1/60 scale have smaller tail fins than we would expect, and neither do the DX VF-25's from Tamashii.

It is stupid to claim that guys who like the DX VF-25's are complaining in the VF-11 thread just to irritate the Yamato fans, or have some nerd-rage revenge over the internet. Most of the complaints are legitimate reasons to be disappointed with the VF-11. That's the only modern valkyrie toy with tail fins that are shorter than anyone wanted them to be. Yes some may overlook that, and I myself have already said it isn't as bad in newer pics, but the complaints for it have nothing to do with liking the VF-25's from Bandai/Tamashii.

Moral of the story: if you want a toy, get Bandai's DX, if you want a toy/model, get Yamato's, if you want a model, get Bandai 1/72s.... Otherwise, stop comparing them as if Bandai is the omnipotent company when they have obviously misplanned their marketing for the DX, not to mention the designs (despite the good durability)

Obviously misplanned? If that were the case, those toys would not have sold out quickly upon release. Moral of the story: don't believe someone who claims to know what the target market/audience wants based on his/her own particular bias towards another company.

The DX toy is not a result of Bandai/Tamashii being incompetent and not being able to make an accurate toy.

Edited by Shin Densetsu Kai 7.0

well I was not a big fan of the DX but the pics made me ordered the Awacs and Sniper version

I found them cool ^_^

it is toy after all and I easily imagine myself playing with it and I think that retooling the gears is possible "making them detacheable could be an option"

can not wait for them to land in france !

v1 will just need a driller and you get a V2 :lol:

easy fix with a modeling driller !

The DX toy is not a model kit, or a resin kit, or a scratchbuild! Drilling should be strictly unnecessary! Besides, you can't fix the landing gear bay hinges even if you have a drill. :) As to the holes, whats the point of having some there and some missing anyway? The DX already has holes for the Super parts. It just shows that Bandai wasn't looking far ahead enough.

Hopefully the Armoured VF-25S will look good...