Official Bandai 1/60 Scale DX Toy Thread Ver.4

azrael

I love the vf-25s design, in all three modes, it is the best thing since sliced bread!

Now that I have tried transforming the dx I just got, I am seriously disapointed with it. Talk about a floppy mess. The waist lock does not lock in and unless I lean the battroid way far forward it flops apart......... What is up with the shoulder design? Why is there no articulation in the shoulder??? It is a solid piece until you get to the elbow. The lack of shoulder articulation is really super disapointing. If they had just made it so the hips could slide down to the anime position the dx could have way better posability and not have a problem with paint rub on the fuseloge.

I am seriously torn about this toy right now. I want another to display one in fighter mode and one in battroid. But after paying $150 to HLJ to get this toy I am thinking it is a $80 to $100 toy and not $150. I may try a 1/72 model version.

I really dont see how through all these pages there has not been any complaints about these issues (or I missed them). If I had seen those issues I might not have bought one. Did I just get a defective one where the hip mechanism doesn't lock in.

Also has anyone translated the instructions? That might be of some help to some me.

I thought the same thing about my Yamato YF-19 and -21, "this toy is a mess!"

but then you fiddle with it, and find all the little locking tabs, and things snap together nice and tight, and you completely rethink your opinion after a few days.

I love the vf-25s design, in all three modes, it is the best thing since sliced bread!

Now that I have tried transforming the dx I just got, I am seriously disapointed with it. Talk about a floppy mess. The waist lock does not lock in and unless I lean the battroid way far forward it flops apart......... What is up with the shoulder design? Why is there no articulation in the shoulder??? It is a solid piece until you get to the elbow. The lack of shoulder articulation is really super disapointing. If they had just made it so the hips could slide down to the anime position the dx could have way better posability and not have a problem with paint rub on the fuseloge.

I am seriously torn about this toy right now. I want another to display one in fighter mode and one in battroid. But after paying $150 to HLJ to get this toy I am thinking it is a $80 to $100 toy and not $150. I may try a 1/72 model version.

I really dont see how through all these pages there has not been any complaints about these issues (or I missed them). If I had seen those issues I might not have bought one. Did I just get a defective one where the hip mechanism doesn't lock in.

Also has anyone translated the instructions? That might be of some help to some me.

I think you should spend more time with your VF-25! :) The crotch piece actually has a fold out tab and a covered slot for the tab to lock everything together tightly. The 'hidden' waist can just be locked down so that the top half of the battroid does not flop forward. The shoulder has a ball joint at the five dot block, and there is a rotating joint in the middle between the elbow and the shoulder-- the five dot block is connected by a hinge to a metal piece, and there are another hinge before the ball join that connects of the back of the upper intake--- in fact the VF-25 shoulder may have the most moving parts of any VF-25 shoulder! There is also no issue with the legs rubbing the LERXs as long as you understand that, just like with the VF-1, to position the leg forward, you are supposed to use the gerwalk joint rather than the ball joint.

Basically, no one has mentioned those issues because the issues that you mentioned are non-existent. :)

No, I'm with Spiff on this one. The DX has some appeal to it, but all of the issues he brought up are spot on. I was fiddling around with my alto last nite and I keep think about the paint rubbing off the fuselage behind the top of the hips when in Battroid mode. I was also really disappointed in how poorly the tab that locks the crotch piece and waist are. I think over time this will be a potentially big issue because the tab will become retarded and the toy will fail to lock.

Edited by Golden Arms

There is shoulder articulation. That spot is extremely stiff right out of the box though. I can't really explain it right now but if you watch one of the movie reviews I think they'll show you where the shoulder is supposed to be articulated (I'm pretty sure Wizartar does this but I can't recall for certain). It sounds like that should help your opinion of this toy out. My toy locks fine enough, it's only when I try to pose it in a way that would push the tab out that the tab actually does get pushed out. If this continues to be a problem you can always just put a piece of clear tape on the tab to make the fit tighter.

Edited by jenius

If you're thinking of getting Ozma Armored, Anime-Export.com has a pretty good deal on it.

Pre-order price of 15000yen plus 1500yen for EMS shipping. Much better deal than hlj's 18000yen price which doesn't include shipping.

https://safe.anime-export.com/u_productpage...rodotti_id=4939

Thanks for the heads up, any of you order from these guys before?

Yeah, does sound like you need to spend more time on the VF-25. I understand your complains, but those are all non-existing issues, after you figured out the toy and understand the structure, unless you are unlucky and got a lemon.

The chest and neck locks good (if you know the angle to transform the chest/neck) with no wobbleness, the crotch tab locks tight. Hip won't scratch the paint if you position the hip giving it 1 click forward on the hip ratchet joint in battroid mode, like Graham suggested in an older post. And about the shoulders, this VF-25 probably has one of the most (if not the most) articulated shoulders you can find on a diecast toy (to a point it almost got too many moving joints LOL).

Give it some time, transform it a few more times and watch some video instructions if you need to. You'll probably end up liking it more.

guys, i dont understand these different extras. Is there fps and armor comming out for these figures? What is the difference, can someone show pictures??

I guess you have not watched the Macross Frontier anime?

The VF-25 can be fitted with either Super Packs, or Armored Packs, to use the correct terminolgy, used in the show.

The Super Packs for Alto's VF-25F and Ozma's VF-25S are being released as Tamashii webshop exclusives. IIRC, these will be shipped at the end of March or April.

Both Michael's VF-25G (release date 21 March) and Luca's RVF-25 (release date 28 March), come bundled with the Super Packs. I forget if a Bundled Alto with Super Packs has been announced or not.

An Ozma VF-25S, possible with slight retooling will be released with the Armoured Pack around teh middle of the year. The Armoured pack for Alto will be released as a non-bundled webshop exclusive.

Graham

I definitely echo what most people have been saying. Spend some more time with your VF-25 toy!

With the hinge joints and the 5-hole shoulder block ball joint, the VF-25 DX has the most articulated shoulders of any VF toy ever IMO. I really don't know how you can say there is no articulation.

Although I initally had the paint rub problem with the hips rubbing on the swing bars in battroid mode, it's easyily avoided, buy opening the Gerwalk mode hip ratchet joints one click in Battroid mode, this keeps the backs of the hips well away from the swing bars to prevent them rubbing against each other.

While 1 or 2 people have reported having a loose groin lock, on most toys, it's reasonably secure. Most of it is just learning the limitations of how to pose and position the toy. Of course, some poses will pop the lock, but must of the time it should stay together.

Graham

The groin lock didn't hold well on mine and after a couple of transformations it got so bad that the peg would freely slide out of the slot. I fixed it with some clear nail polish but it still annoys me that it wasn't better. I know it's not a common problem so I assume the next one I get will be better.

If you're thinking of getting Ozma Armored, Anime-Export.com has a pretty good deal on it.

Pre-order price of 15000yen plus 1500yen for EMS shipping. Much better deal than hlj's 18000yen price which doesn't include shipping.

Thanks for the heads up, any of you order from these guys before?

I recently purchased the Taito 1/665 Super Mechanics Yamato from them. No issues.

They seem to be able to get a relationship with certain manufacturers as they sometimes have special versions that are unique to their shop. For example, a weathered version of the Queen Emeraldas spaceship model was supposedly exclusive to them or specially commissioned by them.

I recently purchased the Taito 1/665 Super Mechanics Yamato from them. No issues.

They seem to be able to get a relationship with certain manufacturers as they sometimes have special versions that are unique to their shop. For example, a weathered version of the Queen Emeraldas spaceship model was supposedly exclusive to them or specially commissioned by them.

Do they charge you when they are ready to ship items like HLJ or at the time you place your order like Overdrive?

Graham,

Thank, i did see the frontier show, i just never noticed an armor version, i just thought it was a fast pack. Can anyone show pictures comparing the two, specially what the armor looks like?

Thx in advance

Here's the links to the mecha pages of the official site: -

Ozma VF-25S Armored.

Michael VF-25G Super.

Note 1. In episode 1, when SMS first launch against the Vajra, you can hear Captain Wilder authorise the use of Super Packs for normal ream members and Armored Packs for squadron commanders. He actually says "Super Pack" and "Armoured Pack" in English.

Note 2. The VF-25's Armoured Pack, is the first full armor in Macross that allows transformation to all three modes.

Graham

BTW, Alto more than once awed at what Ozma can do (in terms of mobility) with that kind of heavy equipment on his VF-25S. :rolleyes:

I have pre-ordered my VF-25S AP too, at approximately US$167.

That may be the start of my DX collection... When the price comes down, I may get the full squad... Who knows!

Edited by ff95gj

Looking at the super fold booster add-on made me realize that if skull squadron ever had to deploy somewhere needing the use of either the super or regular fold booster Luca's would be the only one that would require some kind of trade-off in order to deploy. He would have to lose his radome in order for the fold booster to be equipped. The RVF-171 doesn't seem to have that problem as it has a fold booster attached to each wing. I guess Luca's VF could have the fold boosters attached the same way in place of the super pack boosters, but that would exclude the use of those boosters.

Also speaking of fold boosters and super packs, it would be cool if Bandai came up with a way to have the packs and the fold booster fold up together when detached from the VF like in episode 12 upon arrival at Gallia IV.

Shops in Singapore have started taking orders for Armored Ozma. Price is approx 290 SGD, or 188 USD.
Sounds like what we would be paying to import here to the US(give or take a few $$).
BTW, Alto more than once awed at what Ozma can do (in terms of mobility) with that kind of heavy equipment on his VF-25S.
True, hell I was awed by it too. Alto did, however, actually get a shot at Ozma, while flying a VF-171EX....yeah he had more experience by then but it was cool to see the main character grow as a pilot.

Weird anime export's pre-order price for the Armored Ozma is 15,000 yen , but they asked me for a payment request of 16,020 yen plus shipping? Anyone know what's up with that? Apparently for this one you have to pay in advance.

Does that include shipping cost? For me it doesn't. Shipping is another 2,800 yen. I think there's a mistake in the shop. Also, according to the info on the front page, orders at or below 15,000 will be shipped using SAL, hence the 1,500 yen price. At 16,020 yen however, shipment will be via EMS, I think. They'd probably figure that Ozma's armored pack shouldn't be that "cheap" anyway. Still slightly cheaper than on HLJ, even with the early bird though I'm not sure how it'll pan out once the shipping cost is factored in.

Edited by todd77

I appreciate the input from each of you. I must have got a lemon.

If I were to rate the firmness of the groin tab locking on mine on a scale of 1 to 10, 10 being "good god I am going to break something trying to get it apart again". Mine is maybe a 1. Possibly a .08. When the tab goes into the hole there is a slight hint of connection being made. But any slight movement or pressure makes it pop out and turn into a floppy mess. I am going to have to do the nail polish trick or get in there and wedge something on each side of the tabs to give it a positive locking grab on the tab.

I figured out what you guys were saying about the hip bars and moving them forward which helps with keeping the intakes from rubbing on the fuseloge.

i just put in a preorder for 2 and theyre trying to charge me 16020 each and 4700 yen 36740 total, for combine shipping thats 3x the asked shipping costs when you figure it should be cheaper for the combined order... The page i ordered it from does say 15000 each and 1500 shipping for 1.. I did email them about this so hopefully it gets fixed..

Edited by sil80jdm

As far as the shoulder articulation I am talking about the joint refered to by the pink arrow in the picture below. When I say shoulder I dont know what else to call it, the upper arm shoulder joint? If the shoulder holds the horizontal plane (blue line), and the arm holds the vertical plane (red line) when you move your arm up from your side that would be the shoulder joint to me. Now if you bend your arm at the elbow that would be another point of articulation. All other vf toys have a shoulder joint, IIRC. Did bandai over look this joint? I just dont understand how there is no articulation there. Yes I see all the articulation in the whole shoulder aparatus. But it is still not the same as what I am wanting/expected a shoulder joint.

VF25-2.jpg

Edited by Spiff

i just put in a preorder for 2 and theyre trying to charge me 16020 each and 4700 yen 36740 total, for combine shipping thats 3x the asked shipping costs when you figure it should be cheaper for the combined order... The page i ordered it from does say 15000 each and 1500 shipping for 1.. I did email them about this so hopefully it gets fixed..

I got the same problem too. I'm going to shoot them an email.

I got the same problem too. I'm going to shoot them an email.

I've just received a reply from them and they said there was an error in the product listing and they'll issue a refund for the excess payment. Whew! So it is 15,000 yen. But the shipment stays the same due to the value of the product. They mentioned that the shipment listing is not correct as their system is "old." Oh well... At least they are lightning quick in their response.

which shops would these be? TFH charges SGD300 and TnT says they can't guarantee stock

Well, I did say 'approx' 290. I buy regularly from Ng and he gets stock from Roy/TFH. I believe the pricing will fluctuate depending on the state of the Yen.

BTW, I still have issue one of Chronicles on hand. Want it?

As far as the shoulder articulation I am talking about the joint refered to by the pink arrow in the picture below. When I say shoulder I dont know what else to call it, the upper arm shoulder joint? If the shoulder holds the horizontal plane (blue line), and the arm holds the vertical plane (red line) when you move your arm up from your side that would be the shoulder joint to me. Now if you bend your arm at the elbow that would be another point of articulation. All other vf toys have a shoulder joint, IIRC. Did bandai over look this joint? I just dont understand how there is no articulation there. Yes I see all the articulation in the whole shoulder aparatus. But it is still not the same as what I am wanting/expected a shoulder joint.

I fail to so what you're getting at, IIRC there's a ball joint right where you're talking about (where the 5 dot block and the arm connect)

if you hold the toy by the little 5 dot block you should be able to move the arm

I get what he's saying. Even though there is a ball joint there, you're only able to spin the arm around like the old star wars figures. Of course you could move the rest of the shoulder to make it more dynamic. The 1/72 model does actually have a joint there that lets you move the arm outwards.

BTW, I still have issue one of Chronicles on hand. Want it?

yupyup! please PM me how you want to meet up. i'm in town this week.

i would've paid 300 to pre-order the ozma armor, but the bit about not being able to guarantee the order will be filled just plain spooked me. i hear too that bandai is only releasing this directly to japanese toy shops and not to other retailers in asia. don't know how true that is, but that is supposedly why stocks cannot be guaranteed and why the price is a bit higher than expected.

Weird anime export's pre-order price for the Armored Ozma is 15,000 yen , but they asked me for a payment request of 16,020 yen plus shipping? Anyone know what's up with that? Apparently for this one you have to pay in advance.

Hi this is Boris From AX,

sorry about the confusion our system as a glitch sometime on the preorder. The actual price is 15000 yen without shipping. Shipping is an estimate for EMS as we do not know the weight...as the manufacture does not provide the numbers. We need advanced payment to keep prices low but in this way we can assure your items.

Are we safe to buy from?

Yes, we are one of the Happinet (Bandai)official distributors in Tokyo; it means other shops by from us wholesale.

Anyways any questions drop us a line we answer right away timezone and weekends permitting ...thank you for undestanding.

Regards

Boris Suban