Penguin

• 2 weeks later...

The Super Dimension Fortress Macross Encyclopedia
January 2024 Release
Y4400

https://www.amazon.co.jp/超時空要塞マクロス超百科-講談社/dp/4065337127/

IMG_0008.jpg.e75ed9aaeae8362fdff7c5bed054c8aa.jpg

超時空要塞マクロス超百科

『超時空要塞マクロス』が1982年10月3日に初回TV放送がされてから、昨年2022年に40周年を迎えた「マクロス」シリーズ。その40周年を記念して、今までの「マクロス」シリーズの、テレビアニメ、劇場版、OVAなどの情報をすべてまとめた一冊を昨年刊行しました。それがテレビマガジン『マクロス超百科』です。

おかげさまで大変な好評を博し、第2弾の発売が決定しました。今回、『超時空要塞マクロス』『超時空要塞マクロス 愛・おぼえていますか』『超時空要塞マクロス Flash Back 2012』を、とことん掘り下げた一冊『超時空要塞マクロス超百科』を発売いたします。

今回の一番の売りは、立体的でアクロバティックなアニメを実現させた「板野サーカス」を生み出したアニメーション監督、特技監督、アニメーターの板野一郎氏が、40年ぶりにアーマードバルキリーを描いたこと。カバーイラストでご覧いただければ分かりますが、そのミサイルの躍動感、ポージングなどは、往年とまったく変わらないクオリティーです。

中身も、前作以上に充実しています。『超時空要塞マクロス』と『超時空要塞マクロス 愛・おぼえていますか』『超時空要塞マクロス Flash Back 2012』の、キャラクターやメカニック設定、当時の貴重な資料なども掲載予定。ライトなファンからコアなファンまで納得できる充実した内容を予定しております!

定価:4400円(税込)
体裁:A4サイズ 、カラー112P
発売日:2024年1月17日
発行所:株式会社 講談社

The Super Dimension Fortress Macross Encyclopedia

The "Macross" series celebrated its 40th anniversary last year in 2022, since the first TV broadcast of "The Super Dimension Fortress Macross" on October 3, 1982. To commemorate the 40th anniversary, we published a book last year that compiled all the information on the "Macross" series up to now, including the TV anime, theater version, and OVA. This is the TV magazine "Macross Super Encyclopedia.

Thanks to the great popularity of the magazine, we have decided to release a second volume. This time, we are releasing "The Super Dimension Fortress Macross Super Encyclopedia," a volume that delves into "The Super Dimension Fortress Macross," "The Super Dimension Fortress Macross: Ai o Mochoete desu ka," and "The Super Dimension Fortress Macross: Flash Back 2012.

The main selling point of this issue is that Ichiro Itano, the animation director, special effects director, and animator who created the "Itano Circus," which brought three-dimensional, acrobatic animation to life, has drawn Armored Valkyrie for the first time in 40 years. As you can see in the cover illustration, the dynamism of its missiles and its posing are of the same quality as those of yesteryear.

The inside of the book is also more substantial than its predecessor. It will also include character and mechanical settings and valuable materials from "The Super Dimension Fortress Macross" and "The Super Dimension Fortress Macross: Ai omoete desu ka" and "The Super Dimension Fortress Macross: Flash Back 2012". The contents of the book will satisfy both light and hard-core fans alike!

Price: 4,400 yen (tax included)
Format: A4 size, 112 pages in color
Release date: January 17, 2024
Publisher: Kodansha Ltd.

On 10/4/2023 at 2:30 PM, Shawn said:

Nice-thanks for the info!

I like the focus on the original trilogy instead of covering all the series-it gets too thin when each one has to get a few pages.
TV/DYRL/Flashback is perfect!

You're welcome @Shawn! I agree. It's going to be nice to have something just dedicated to the original series and its movie and OAV special. :good: 

On 10/5/2023 at 1:21 AM, Graham said:

Defintely gonna order this.

As everyone should. :good:

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/9/2023 at 9:39 PM, no3Ljm said:

You're welcome @Shawn! I agree. It's going to be nice to have something just dedicated to the original series and its movie and OAV special. :good: 

As everyone should. :good:

Anyone find this somewhere other than Amazon Japan? I seem to be unable to order due to being in the US. Checked HLJ and CD Japan and no luck yet. Amazon Japans region issues seem random almost, as they just shipped my Tenjin book today.

I ordered 8/31 from Amazon JP and still no shipping notice for me yet. Hoping they process it soon!

If you have a Buyee.jp account, there is a 10% off Honto.jp (a big Japanese bookstore there) coupon right now and they have both versions available for sale.
These are the pre-coupon prices below.

https://shop.buyee.jp/honto/shopping/search/category?translationType=&query=macross

image.png.56b8c1dfa2ba2d1d1bb7e24114c71216.png

My order of 2 of the larger editions coming from Amazon JP says arriving 11/2-11/11.

Predorders are closed for the smaller edition on Amiami but the larger edition is still available to preorder.

https://www.amiami.com/eng/detail/?gcode=MED-BOOK-036258

Smaller edition.

https://www.amiami.com/eng/detail/?gcode=MED-BOOK-036259

Larger edition.

lol mine came in a paper bag as well…first time I had something delivered this way…tiny cardboard sheet was the only ‘protection’ and is smaller than the book..

no wrapping on the book either.. 🤪 :unknw:

only a tiny little scrape on the big west cover insert but other than that is unscathed..it looked to be delivered by a local personal courier so perhaps lucky in that sense somewhat ..

IMG_0241.jpeg.590fbff5f4e9b37fd5d20951e5e443c4.jpeg

from a quick glance: paper stock feels nice..not too glossy..

photos and colors are on point…found the latest HMR photos included ..

IMG_0243.jpeg.b8f9308fc51c647ed6b94680a229482c.jpeg

only annoyances are the large spreads across 2 pages break the aesthetics of the photos, especially if some cut across important areas..IMG_0244.jpeg.519c176b3c93dff13992c3471af9fcf5.jpeg

Edited by seti88

Yikes Amazon JP shipping stuff in paper bags now?! Such a pity.. they were for longest time still using carton boxes when other Amazons have stopped, even if the boxes were little better than tissue boxes.

@seti88 Now we know how Max's 1A upcoming HMR box art look like. But I feel Tenjin just kinda mirror flipped Kakizaki's box art and swapped the color palette. :lol:

4 hours ago, MKT said:

Yikes Amazon JP shipping stuff in paper bags now?! Such a pity.. they were for longest time still using carton boxes when other Amazons have stopped, even if the boxes were little better than tissue boxes.

@seti88 Now we know how Max's 1A upcoming HMR box art look like. But I feel Tenjin just kinda mirror flipped Kakizaki's box art and swapped the color palette. :lol:

LOL now you mentioned it, yes that would be Max's HMR boxart. Nice catch! :yahoo:

With HMR Kaki's boxart included a Max1A in the background, I guessed HMR max cover would look similar somehow.

edit: so similiar, kakizaki looks like max in cockpit of the HMR kaki illustation :rofl:

Like what you said...2 valks in 1 shot eh, tenjin-san! 🤭

On the packaging...maybe i will return to CDJ for better delivery protection...esp for heavy books...magazines, maybe amazon can still suffice..

Edited by seti88

Hrm... ordered my copy of the Artistry of the First Macross book (Deculture Ed.) from CD Japan and it arrived today in pristine condition via FedEx.

CD Japan seems to be pretty paranoid about shippers, since they packed it in a plastic sleeve inside of a bubble pack bag inside of a cardboard box padded with packing paper.

3 hours ago, Shawn said:

Still no movement from my from Amazon JP...

For those that have it-we see the awesome Max sneak peek above
Is the new Queadluun Rau tucked away in there too?
image.png.da16ad62387f4d47d137a0c9f35d1a95.png

Nope

At the price...the Deculture version also should have used fold-outs instead of the awful two page spreads...

Even Macross Chronicle used fold-outs...incidentally, much of the art from this book can be found in the issues of the Macross Chronicle...as fold-outs!..

Still...I think there are some HMR illustrations and Hasegawa boxart that are well printed as single pages....so if you think bigger is better....the book could be worth the extra expense...

On 10/31/2023 at 3:39 PM, seti88 said:

LOL now you mentioned it, yes that would be Max's HMR boxart. Nice catch! :yahoo:

With HMR Kaki's boxart included a Max1A in the background, I guessed HMR max cover would look similar somehow.

edit: so similiar, kakizaki looks like max in cockpit of the HMR kaki illustation :rofl:

Like what you said...2 valks in 1 shot eh, tenjin-san! 🤭

On the packaging...maybe i will return to CDJ for better delivery protection...esp for heavy books...magazines, maybe amazon can still suffice..

I guess Kakizaki looking like Max is Tenjin's way of being consistent with the actual pilot figures in the toy. :lol:

19 hours ago, Shawn said:

Still no movement from my from Amazon JP...

For those that have it-we see the awesome Max sneak peek above
Is the new Queadluun Rau tucked away in there too?

Guess the hase q-ray was too new..Instead we have a illustration done sometime ago..
IMG_0258.jpeg.744f07aebb024d7be9cdfbf2c97b1922.jpeg

however her recent vf-1 battroid (hase I think?)is featured prominently on one of the pages..IMG_0253.jpeg.315b33801a92a3623c8bdec27e2f233b.jpeg

15 hours ago, jvmacross said:

Nope

At the price...the Deculture version also should have used fold-outs instead of the awful two page spreads...

Even Macross Chronicle used fold-outs...incidentally, much of the art from this book can be found in the issues of the Macross Chronicle...as fold-outs!..

Still...I think there are some HMR illustrations and Hasegawa boxart that are well printed as single pages....so if you think bigger is better....the book could be worth the extra expense...

Yes was about to say they missed the mark by not including foldouts. Maybe there will be another poster book version🤪

The single panel HMR art pages certainly made me return to them quite often..nice fit on the pages..additionally I think there were tamashii event illustrations which were not on the box? I can’t remember the individual box arts after so many HMRs…case in point..IMG_0260.jpeg.866c9bc91198e5a0020ffa3b4d5453ca.jpeg

7 hours ago, MKT said:

I guess Kakizaki looking like Max is Tenjin's way of being consistent with the actual pilot figures in the toy. :lol:

I like the way you think Like bandai  😅

Edited by seti88

Tenjin Deculture Edition VS Macross Chronicle

Deculture'd...

large.20231102_190905.jpg.f64c37387eae42

Chronicle'd...

large.20231102_191051.jpg.2d5ebe53534110

Deculture'd...

large.20231102_193403.jpg.3487b1cb5e0dfa

Chronicle'd

large.20231102_193715.jpg.a396e57bd6ae53

Deculture'd

large.20231102_193106.jpg.9fc9475ec1750f

Chronicle'd

large.20231102_193153.jpg.67450b7f2af97c

Deculture'd

large.20231102_194147.jpg.aca7c7618f089f

Chronicle'd

large.20231102_194414.jpg.a6d276dad0dd74

Basically....all of the images that are not crossing over into 2 pages are more or less Macross Chronicle sized.  The larger images are awesome, but I feel it was a missed opportunity to have not utilized the "centerfold" approach...

I also have the "standard" edition and it is certainly less impressive, but still worth getting if you don't want to shell out the extra cash for the deculture'd version...