Transformers Super Thread 8

azrael

Well - for what it's worth - I don't like Alternators and Binaltech. There were - to my mind - a few good molds - Hound, Jazz, Smokescreann - but the rest of them were pretty lousy.

One Autobot who has gotten something worse than no love, namely BAD love is Wheeljack. First we had that freeky thing from Superlink, then we had the abominable mustang from Alternators.

I think a Masterpiece Wheeljack that actually managed to transform into a real live car like the one Wheeljack represents would be totally sweet.

Contrary to popular belive, I don't think the Alternators are very G1 accurate - certainly not to the extent of the Masterpieces, and just because they're "to scale" doesn't really mean anything.

So - yeah - go on - do the Autobot cars as Masterpieces - big, blocky 80s proportions and cartoon colors/accuracy combined with perfect representations of the 80s vehicle rather than some modern car that vaguely looks "something like" what the Autobot turned into.

Pete

Er, the Alternators were never supposed to be G1 accurate. They were modern remakes of the characters. I really doubt popular belief says otherwise.

I liked the Alternators, Wheeljack included. Actually, he's one of my favourites. I do see why some don't like them. I've always thought the line needed a companion line to add more variety in alt modes. The Masterpiece toys help, of course, but they're too few and far between. Instead, the line had some characters that were pretty forced. Prime as a pickup (not a terrible toy, but still my least favourite just on concept), Grimlock as a Mustang, etcetera, and then devolved into too many repaints, far too quickly. That most of the Decepticons were slight retoolings of Autobot Alternators certainly didn't help.

Well - I always prefered spark blue for my MP3 anyways; though I have G1 Soundblaster who is nifty as well.

As to Alternators: Yeah; I know they were not meant not meant to be G1 accurate; but that's part of my point. And it's not even so much the robot modes which bother me - since they're just ther result of the car mode actually. I just would prefer my Jazz to be an old porsche like he was in the cartoon and so forth and so on.

Also - you are right - the line suffered from no Decepticon love. Rumble was pretty much the only original mould for a Decepticon other than Ravage v.2 who wasn't as cool.

Well - who ever they pick - we'll all be surprised I'm sure :)

Till then, Grimlock's gonna be greeat :)

Pete

All of Hasbro's movie toys have - for lack of a better word- sucked!

Well - for what it's worth - I don't like Alternators and Binaltech. There were - to my mind - a few good molds - Hound, Jazz, Smokescreen - but the rest of them were pretty lousy.

Wow, don't know if I can agree on that. While Movie line has hits and misses, there are a few thats very good. Leader Prime (Takara Premium MA-21 specifically), Leader Brawl, Deluxe 08 Bumblebee are really nice (not perfect, but which TF toy is really?). BT also has a few really nice ones too. Kiss Hot Rod, Nemesis Prime, Broadblast, Smokescreen, Jazz are really some of the best TFs made. Don't think they suck much at all.

As of future MP, G1 Galvatron & Rodimus Prime (though I am fine with my Kiss Rodimus as is) would be likely candidates, and something I am curious to see, especially Galvatron. Even Henkei missed the mark on Galvatron, so it really needs a better effort to revive this dude, or we'll just get stuck for many more years with sub-par looking Galvatron toys.

I myself am not particularly excited about MP Grimlock. Like the sculpt, but not too fond of the way the chrome is used and the colors, even if its faithful to G1. Not a huge fan of the character, so probably only pick it up when its on sale.

With a bit more work you can do him up proper. ;)

2301456087_85d0fb17ae.jpg

nice custom jetfire. anyone every try removing the heatshield from the 1/48 vf-1s and putting the autobot symbol lower for a custom jetfire? maybe jetfire was never meant to have a heatshield and that's how we grew up seeing the toy anyway.

just got universe cyclonus, starscream version 2, and hound. all of them are cool.

Where at (and what region of the globe, if you don't mind me asking)? I went on a massive shopping run to finish my Christmas shopping, and hit toy stores/departments wherever I could. That'd be a Wal-Mart, a Target, a K-Mart, two Toys R' Us, and two Kay Bees. I *might* try Kohl's early next week, but in all likelihood I'm done until after Christmas.

So... I would like to post some general thoughts I've been having lately about Transformers and see what people think:

I recently acquired pretty much all of the Henkei Autobots and Decepticons (minus a couple on both sides) and while I am well pleased with them; I still find myself being underwhelmed by the newest Transformers that come out. Basically, it seems that we're still getting all of the shortcomings of G1, only with improved poseability. The vehicle forms are still often times lacking and kind of "leap of faith" vehicles with details added sparcely and gaping areas just kind of ...well... there...

Of course, I realize I shouldn't make such complaints, since that's what Masterpiece Transformers are there for- but I find myself oddly prefering the Beast Wars TFs to the "regular" TFs as time goes on; with Henkei being loved merely for its' G1-goodness-ness... And even in Henkei, there are some things which bother me - like Prime and Megatron, who I consider just a tad too much of a departure from their G1 looks (as molds, because obviously the paint job is very good).

I'm probably being picky here...

But what do people think? I got rid of all of my Unicron Trilogy TFs and view that to be the yuckiest part of Transformers.

Also - speaking of which - will we get a Henkei Unicron? I know Universe had Unicron; and while Unicron is technically from Armada; I always figured that Armada was just an excuse for him to finally be produced. In any event - Henkei Unicron would rock....

Pete

I used to be much bigger into Transformers, then from RiD on I found myself getting new Transformers and being really torn on whether or not I actually liked them. After picking up some Armada toys, and some of the G1 reissues, I realized that I didn't actually care for them that much at all and just stopped buying. I started buying Classics and had the same sort of feeling. I loved Alternators while the line lasted, but now I'm just down to the Masterpiece toys. I actually just ordered MP Thundercracker last week. I still kinda wish I'd nabbed a first release of MP Starscream, as it looks like they'll never release a version of that colour scheme with the improvements from all the subsequent releases of that mold.

I've actually got a huge box of RiD, Armada, G1 reissues, and other Transformers that after my most recent move I never bothered to unpack. I might have to look into finding a local eBay store just so I can get them off my hands.

I kinda doubt a Henkei/Classics Unicron will ever happen. The line seems designed around small and relatively cheap figures.

So... I would like to post some general thoughts I've been having lately about Transformers and see what people think:

I recently acquired pretty much all of the Henkei Autobots and Decepticons (minus a couple on both sides) and while I am well pleased with them; I still find myself being underwhelmed by the newest Transformers that come out. Basically, it seems that we're still getting all of the shortcomings of G1, only with improved poseability. The vehicle forms are still often times lacking and kind of "leap of faith" vehicles with details added sparcely and gaping areas just kind of ...well... there...

Of course, I realize I shouldn't make such complaints, since that's what Masterpiece Transformers are there for- but I find myself oddly prefering the Beast Wars TFs to the "regular" TFs as time goes on; with Henkei being loved merely for its' G1-goodness-ness... And even in Henkei, there are some things which bother me - like Prime and Megatron, who I consider just a tad too much of a departure from their G1 looks (as molds, because obviously the paint job is very good).

But what do people think?

I grew up on G1, and kinda left it behind when it faded away. I was surprised to see that Beast Wars was considered Transformers back when it was on, and mostly continued to ignore the franchise until very recently. The Classics reignited my interests, and I quickly found that I'd bought them all. I collected a few of the movie toys, but ultimately I didn't care for them. And while I love the new Animated cartoon, I again collected a few toys then quit, because they weren't really doing it for me. But, I've bought most of the new Universe toys, aside from some repaints. I don't mind if you take a $10 toy robot and turn it into a car with some seams and what not. Even MP Prime has visible shoulder joints in truck mode. Mostly I like them for the exact reasons you said... classic G1 characters, but with improved poseability.

I don't want Yamato to do that though. It would be pointless. If anything, Bandai could do it, and then yeah - we'd have G1 Jetfire and I'd get that and it would actually look good next to my other G1 TFs.

But a 1/48 sitting there next to the G1 TFs? Totally don't fit together. And I can't say the 1/48 would be an "MP" either - because it looks like a Valkyrie from DYRL and not like Jetfire from Transformers.

So - I don't see the point of doing something like that.

Pete

I can see the point. Just like how while I might personally be perfectly happy with Alternators Rodimus and not so interested in an MP Hot Rod, I can still see how others would be very keen on the idea of MP Hot Rod.

But what do people think? I got rid of all of my Unicron Trilogy TFs and view that to be the yuckiest part of Transformers.

Also - speaking of which - will we get a Henkei Unicron? I know Universe had Unicron; and while Unicron is technically from Armada; I always figured that Armada was just an excuse for him to finally be produced. In any event - Henkei Unicron would rock....

Pete

The Classics/Universe is really an answered prayer for me, for the most part. I picked up some Armada and Energon figs, but ultimately I've been waiting and hoping for a release of G1 toys with modern poseability, and that's essentially what we've got. And, at $10 a pop, they're cheaper than most of the originals, which retailed around $13 in the 80's. I have nearly all the Classics, except the triple changers and Jetfire, the designs of which i didn't care for, and I'm pretty happy with them overall. I've never bought any of the Henkei versions; they seem hit or miss, but I'm happy enough with Hasbro's versions. I wish they were all more like Kubalski's Mirage, which was about as perfect IMHO as you can get in both modes. I'm looking very much forward to Hound/Ravage (which looks better to me all around than even the BT Hound, which itself is a damn nice version, despite the poor shoulder poseability), and Cyclonus. I had mixed feelings about Animated in the beginning, like alot of people, but I picked a few up, liked them alot, and just continued. I'm pretty happy with most of them, although like anything, there are a few that I wish were better. I just remember what bricks transformers were in the 80's and it makes these new toys seem much better.

If Hasbro/Takara-Tomy did rerelease a Universe Unicron, I'd like to see a new toy that transformed closer to the animation, has a completely round planet mode, about the size of Primus, or DS Vader. Even better, Unicron's a character that would make a good MP; if it was engineered to transform as closely to the animation as possible, had great poseability, some neat features, and matched the animation aesthetic in both modes, then that would truly be a masterpiece worthy of the series, worthy of the name, and maybe worthy of the hefty price tag that came along with it. :p And btw, i do have Armada Unicron and found him to be, I dunno, subpar. I thought about getting Primus, but didn't. Alot of things i want more.

Edited by M'Kyuun

Not AFAIK. Hasbro doesn't seem able to copyright paint schemes--otherwise you wouldn't have seen the zillion "rich golden yellow with black stripes" Camaro toys the past year...

Not to mention the Jetfire paintjob is pretty close to the Hikaru DYRL scheme already.

Ignoring FAST packs, you just add a red nosecone and visor.

I can see the point. Just like how while I might personally be perfectly happy with Alternators Rodimus and not so interested in an MP Hot Rod, I can still see how others would be very keen on the idea of MP Hot Rod.

Good point. As someone dissatisfied with the Alternators/Binaltechs, I would actually be happy with MP Hot Rod or MP Jazz, Hound etc etc for that matter.

Also - Bandai's Soul of Chogikin has different price points depending on the heft, height and complexity of the figure. Couldn't we concievably get an in scale Masterpiece Jazz or Hotrod at a subesquently lower price point? And no - the Alternator version won't cut it - I'm talking a Masterpiece Jazz that actually turns into the porsche we see on TV and then has a robot mode EXACTLY like what we see on TV etc.

If Hasbro/Takara-Tomy did rerelease a Universe Unicron, I'd like to see a new toy that transformed closer to the animation, has a completely round planet mode, about the size of Primus

But...they did release Universe Unicron. I mean - it's not a new mold - but the old one from Armada is - I think - fully up to the task, no? I was just wondering what it would look like as a Henkei.

Pete

I've been happy with the recent TF lines ... Alternators was an awesome line and it's a shame it was killed; Animated is surprisingly very fun and I too, was initially unimpressed with the 'teen titans cartoon like' designs; and I absolutely LOVE the Universe line, well, except the excessive repaints.

And I did selectively collect the RID, Armada, Energon, & Cybertron TF lines - there were some great molds in those lines.

Edited by Vermillion21

i remember a long time ago after g1 and g2 toys were pretty much exhausted and then beast wars came out that it wasn't as interesting for me. then rid came out and it got me hooked on transformers again.

you know one of these nonofficial companies can easily make a 1/48 or smaller vf-1s jetfire scheme and mass produce it.

Found Cheetor and Cyclonus at my local TRU and they never have stuff. I also nabbed the last hound in the the store, easily the nicest figure in this series with cyclonus being a close 2nd, and cheetor a far far far 3rd. So they must be rushing to get everything new out for the holidays, collectors, start your engines.

saw a lot of ironhides, streaks, sideswipes, and a few acid storms at a walmart. already have all of them except acid storm so i passed. i would have jumped to get another cyclonus. damn hopefully when smokescreen and ratchet come out i can find it in stores so i can cancel my preorders at bbts, especially since i don't want to have to purchase dinobot.

btw the next reissue will be a cassette set with ravage, laserbeak, eject, and rewind. i'm probably going to pass on it. that and the universe wheelie even though its kind of cool with the painted slingshot inside of the arm.

Pete

Hard to say. i was a fan of the series as a kid, like everyone my age i think. I hate heaps of G1 stuff, some great figures in there an a few that even then i knew werent that great. My favourites were Magnus, Hot Rod and Prowl and Grimlock. As a kid i loved the series, and kept them for many years. then GI Joe hit Australia, and most of the other lines i collected faded into the background, including Transformers. I eventually sold them off.

Beast Wars was when i came back, with the first series anyway. I liked the figures that became the 'real animals' so Transmetals and Fuzors didnt do much for me. But the articulation on some of those early figures blew me away! Primal and Cheetor are 2 favorites of mine. Then the line went transmetal, my interest waned, and i was out again.

Until Armada.

Looking back now, Armada isnt all that great as a line. There are some molds in their i really like (I STILL wish a better articulated version of Armada Prime in a leader scale had come out; what an awesome and powerful look!) and i thought the minicon gimmick was great. But there were still some weird choices in there, and though it got me interested, it didnt win me over. Plus Unicron was just awesome!

Energon had some great stuff in there, but overall came in slightly under Armada for me. The powerlinx gimmick wasnt as nice, the molds were so-so and the overall story idea was a bit less interesting to me. Still some great ideas, and i loved Omega Supreme (Still do)but overall not the best.

Cybertron I LOVED. I loved 90% of the molds, I htought the concept of the settlers on different planets and thus different Primes or leaders was great...I just loved it! To many standouts in the line for me to name, though Prime is STILL on my display shelf after all this time soley because of how awesome he is. But man, Hotshot, First Aid, Clocker, Wheeljack...so many AWESOME AWESOME molds in the line. i regret not being able to display them all, but shelf space is so tough to find, and some of them are pretty big.....Gah, its a shame. Probably my overall favourite Transformers line to date.

And now Animated, which is an amazingly fun line with great characters and molds, and such a slick STYLE to the whole thing that I just cant help but love it! Jazz is probably my favourite so far, but its a closer race than some TF series let me tell ya.

Then outside themain lines you have the side lines. There was some cool stuff in Universe, Classics is a great fun line and the new Universe classics has some cool stuff in it as well. Alternators was amazing in its prime, though faultered as it went a long which was a shame, especially Since Prime himself came towards the end and is towards the wqeaker side of the series. The movie stuff was big (And I guess still is) and has some neat stuff, but while i got a few none of them stand out as favourites for me. I loved the flick itself, but the toys arent for me. i got a few of the RID series, but while they're ok, they are very fiddly and less fun to play with.

Overall I think Transformers is better than ever, with some ideas that appeal to both fans and new fans alike. I know a lot of people sucked in by animated, and brought back to the line by classics. Sure its not eprfect, but no toyline is! :)

Viva la Transformers, I say!

Is Cheetor really as bad as pictures make him out to be? It's almost too bad to be true...?

Pete

Cheetor's pretty crappy. They should have just made his arms in bot mod his legs in cat mode, but they tried to be all fancy and we ended up with practically unposeable arms.

Be nice if these repaints werent just repaints but had a lil difference like head sculpt atleast.

I only need cyclonus and hound and i am all caught up. But will pass on cheetor and dinobot...they just dont fly with me.

also love the 25 av legend universe toys and I was never big on legends.