The Future of Macross - Where will it go from here??

taksraven

I know that I am starting this thread a little bit prematurely with a few more weeks to run with Macross Frontier, but I think an interesting discussion would be the future of this great franchise.

Basically, where do you think the series will go after Frontier (that is assuming that Frontier will not have a Space Runaway Ideon style ending with much of the universe being destroyed). Maybe another series set aboard a colony fleet, maybe a story set on Earth or some other planet. Maybe another prequel-style series set in some part of the history of the Macross universe.

As well as speculation about where we may be taken next, I think that opinions should be sought as to where people believe a future series should go. DO we want another series set on a colony fleet, would people be happy to see a return to a place such as Eden, maybe there should be a further exploration of the Zentradi race since everybody seems to have enjoyed it so much in this series?

Well, have a think about it and share your thoughts.

Personally, I would like to see a series about humans living in a macronised Zentradi society. Maybe a Valk squadron assigned to a Zentradi fleet for some reason. It would be a bit of a role-reversal and could serve to give some interesting perspectives on living in alien cultures.

Another colony fleet like Macross Galaxy or a return to Earth and the original Macross would be nice.

Perhaps a squadron like the VFX Ravens or Dancing Skulls dealing with rouge Zentradi or Anti-UN in colonies.

As for a protagonist after Hime I think I'd rather have spunky girl next time around rather than an angst guy.

Frankly I was wondering about what plot line they had on Macross 3D characters Carno and Rolin.

From the trailer it was about Zentradi making a new society making a new society.

why would kawamori not have anything to do in a megaroad project? XD

yeah colonial inhabitation of a planet ftw :)

i think we should see this in frontier as they only have 3 months left of supplies so they got to make peace to that triangler/protoculture planet then live in peaceful coexistence XD

Edited by shinkirou

If Frontier doesn´t get a second season, I think the next series should focus a good bit more on the galactic scale, with different factions emerging. We already know that at least the cyborgs of Galaxy have a grudge against normal humans, so it wouldn´t be difficult to infer that this attitude could be more widespread.

Then we have other non-human factions, like the Supervision Army... who says that there aren´t some more genuine alien races are out there?

In any case, following a colonization fleet has now been done two times in a row. Time to do something bigger.

Macross: MEGAROAD!!!!

:blink:

Yes. How about we finally find out what happened to them? It doesn't have to star any of the original cast. It could be just a lone VF-4 found near the center of the milky way, with a dead skeleton pilot, holding a grainy video or some kind of transmission, and then NUNs can send a new fleet to find out what did happened to hte Megaroad. Or maybe we can have astory on what happened to Isamu or Myung. i personally want to know what has happened to M7, and Basara, Gamlin, Mylene, and Sivil, and the rest of the Protodevlin.

DYRL should be reanimated with the existing audio track, but with added scenes so that it actually has a begining and and end... Sort of like a Star Wars style special edition.

DYRL should be reanimated with the existing audio track, but with added scenes so that it actually has a begining and and end... Sort of like a Star Wars style special edition.

Sounds good. Perhaps they could add the scenes from the Playstation I game intro... It was a prequel of sorts to the DYRL movie... ^_^

And Macross Flashback 2012 should be added as the real ending (the important parts only, hehe)... B))

Edited by Kronnang Dunn

DYRL does have a beginning just that it is animated in the game. Hikaru isn't a fan jet barnstormer but already a pilot in Skull Squadron with Max and Kakizaki as squad mates.

Something without Kawamori would be nice. :o

That's about the ONLY way we're ever going to find out what happen to Hikaru, Misa, Minmay, and the Megaroad-01!

Mr. Kawamori has said in the past that their story is finished, and that he wants each Macross to be "different". If you look at each series Macoss Plus, Macross 7, and Macross Frontier, you can see the difference, he covers new ground with each series. As much as I would love for there to be a Macross: Megaroad story, I can't see it happening with Kawamori. This is like way back in the day, when he was asked about the VF-4 fighter and if it transformed (because in Flashback 2012 it's in fighter mode) and he replied: "I suppose so, I guess it does." or something along those lines. Not giving the fans a direct answer and from what I've read had an attitude with his answer, leads me to believe that he doesn't want to deal with those characters anymore. I suspect that it's the real reason the Megaroad "gets lost" in the center of the galaxy, in order to bring an end to Minmay, Misa, and Hikaru. Could they do a Macross story without Kawamori? Sure, they made Macross 2

didn't they, but the question should be asked: "Do they want to make a Macross without Him?" and the answer would probably be no. There is no reason to do so. With Macross, DYRL, Macoss Plus, Mac 7, Mac dyn 7, and now Macross frontier under his belt, Kawamori will be associated with Macross until he dies or until he goes "Kawamori" again. ^_^

Edited by aerocombatpilot

Sounds good. Perhaps they could add the scenes from the Playstation I game intro... It was a prequel of sorts to the DYRL movie... ^_^

And Macross Flashback 2012 should be added as the real ending (the important parts only, hehe)... B))

That is terrible.. It sounds SO unprofessional, and rife with Robotech nomenclature. There is hissing in the audio recording and the music is muted and skips. Good idea, garbage execution.

How about a new Macross series in which the Valks are designed by someone other than Kawamori? Or better yet feature several different Valk designs each one by a different mech designer including Kawamori.

Yes, I know that's blasphemy around these parts but I think it'd be interesting to see how different mech designers take on the variable fighter idea within the world of Macross.

I've always enjoyed the different takes done to the "Gundam" - ranging from Katoki's minor touchups on the RX-78 to the radical Zeta (Fujita) and TurnA (Syd Mead) designs.

How about a new Macross series in which the Valks are designed by someone other than Kawamori? Or better yet feature several different Valk designs each one by a different mech designer including Kawamori.

Yes, I know that's blasphemy around these parts but I think it'd be interesting to see how different mech designers take on the variable fighter idea within the world of Macross.

I've always enjoyed the different takes done to the "Gundam" - ranging from Katoki's minor touchups on the RX-78 to the radical Zeta (Fujita) and TurnA (Syd Mead) designs.

I'd like to see that too.

In the short run I expect an OVA and a maybe a movie about Frontier. After that... then it's anyone's guess. If Frontier is very succesfull, Big West may ask for more Macross. But Kawamori seems to have full control over the franchise and he can't be rushed. On the one hand I dread having to go cold turkey again for another 5 years or so but on the other hand a Gundam like franchise that poors out crappy series is not really an option either. I think I'll side with Gubaba on this: as long as SK makes sure its new, good and long I'll be happy when ever it comes.

That's about the ONLY way we're ever going to find out what happen to Hikaru, Misa, Minmay, and the Megaroad-01!

Mr. Kawamori has said in the past that their story is finished, and that he wants each Macross to be "different". If you look at each series Macoss Plus, Macross 7, and Macross Frontier, you can see the difference, he covers new ground with each series. As much as I would love for there to be a Macross: Megaroad story, I can't see it happening with Kawamori. This is like way back in the day, when he was asked about the VF-4 fighter and if it transformed (because in Flashback 2012 it's in fighter mode) and he replied: "I suppose so, I guess it does." or something along those lines. Not giving the fans a direct answer and from what I've read had an attitude with his answer, leads me to believe that he doesn't want to deal with those characters anymore. I suspect that it's the real reason the Megaroad "gets lost" in the center of the galaxy, in order to bring an end to Minmay, Misa, and Hikaru. Could they do a Macross story without Kawamori? Sure, they made Macross 2

didn't they, but the question should be asked: "Do they want to make a Macross without Him?" and the answer would probably be no. There is no reason to do so. With Macross, DYRL, Macoss Plus, Mac 7, Mac dyn 7, and now Macross frontier under his belt, Kawamori will be associated with Macross until he dies or until he goes "Kawamori" again. ^_^

first of all, as recent discoveries seem to indicate, the megaroad didn't really get lost near galactic center. it was a mere "what if" scenario in a game, IIRC. for all intents and purposes, the megaroad 1 has either found a planet, retired or still searching for new worlds. explains why the jenius and ichijo couples get together to compare notes every now and then.

and to share your sentiments, yeah i guess fandom is left with a choice: a kawamori-macross story without the original SDFM crew, or a new story about the original SDFM crew but without kawamori. i'd go with the first, if only because i'm quite frightened what could happen to a macross story without any input or control from SK.

I'd like to see the original series reanimated without deviating from the original designs or intent, going as far as keeping the original vocal tracks. But, if I had to pick something new, I'd like to see a Megaroad era OVA. I am not looking for the -01, but there are some absolutely wonderful and totally underused designs waiting to shown in all their glory. The mid to late 80's Macross art is just better than anything before or since, in my mind. Everytime to see the VF-4/Misa on the bridge scene in Flashback, I just get so jazzed about how great they look. Alot of what they'd produced design wise since then just seems so uninspired.

and i still want macross to be driven by the macross man himself

Ditto. Having a Macross series without any of the original creators really makes it nothing more than a high-budget fanfic.

If years of Tomino-less Gundam has taught me anything, it's that Gundam suffers without him (except for 0080 and 0083, which seem almost like flukes to me now). I'm assuming it would be the same for Macross.

I'd like to see the original series reanimated without deviating from the original designs or intent, going as far as keeping the original vocal tracks. But, if I had to pick something new, I'd like to see a Megaroad era OVA. I am not looking for the -01, but there are some absolutely wonderful and totally underused designs waiting to shown in all their glory. The mid to late 80's Macross art is just better than anything before or since, in my mind. Everytime to see the VF-4/Misa on the bridge scene in Flashback, I just get so jazzed about how great they look. Alot of what they'd produced design wise since then just seems so uninspired.

I agree, design wise, DYRL/Flashback was the pinacle for Macross...

Everything since then has been a poor second.

Reanimating the series (or what I suggested earlier, to reanimate DYRL) would be awesome.

I agree, design wise, DYRL/Flashback was the pinacle for Macross...

Everything since then has been a poor second.

Reanimating the series (or what I suggested earlier, to reanimate DYRL) would be awesome.

That would be an awesome idea to reanimate the original series or DYRL. I wonder if Haruhiko Mikimoto would go back to Macross again after Mac2. His style is so much refined now than in the 80s though I still loved it back then. I'd love to see it in the same quality of animation as in the PSX game.

If they ever reanimate the series I wonder if they'll keep the DYRL aesthetic designs which seem to be canon to the Macross universe. I hope maybe it will be like a movie (or 3 part movie like MSGZ and the new Eva) or OAV series to retain a high quality in animation.

+1