The Future of Macross - Where will it go from here??

taksraven

ok, if they really want to be a bit different, how about this:

So far, the macross stories have been just 1 or 2 generations apart (2009-2059, hey this is one lifetime). So why not take it to the next level. 300 years ahead. or maybe a 1000 years ahead. when most of the galaxy has been colonized by humans, and they have established themselves as the next protoculture. and then a new threat will force them to revisit the reason why they started colonizing space in the first place, and rediscover earth, and the power of song.

I wonder where i got this idea. all i've been doing is re-reading Asimov's Foundation novels...hmmm..... :p

So far, the macross stories have been just 1 or 2 generations apart (2009-2059, hey this is one lifetime). So why not take it to the next level. 300 years ahead. or maybe a 1000 years ahead. when most of the galaxy has been colonized by humans, and they have established themselves as the next protoculture. and then a new threat will force them to revisit the reason why they started colonizing space in the first place, and rediscover earth, and the power of song.

I wonder where i got this idea. all i've been doing is re-reading Asimov's Foundation novels...hmmm..... :p

Lord no Robotech 3000!!!!

Then pray tell how did they deal with...

1. 2000+ Bodol sized Zentradi fleets

2. The Supervision Army

Actually that is not a bad idea. A Zentradi-Supervision Army War with colony fleet or planet caught in the crossfire.

Maybe a return of Vrlithwai.

I'd like to see a series or maybe a OVA that focused more on the political aspect of the Macross universe. How the Earth government interacts with the various colonies and fleets and the different corporations that via for power in the universe. How the generals and politicians see and view the military would be interesting to see on a larger scale since we've had both good and bad versions in various shows but only to a limited degree. We haven't really seen things from their point of view.

Or if if there is another show about a fleet but the focus on the captain of the Macross ship and his bridge crew and not the pilots.

Then pray tell how did they deal with...

1. 2000+ Bodol sized Zentradi fleets

2. The Supervision Army

Actually that is not a bad idea. A Zentradi-Supervision Army War with colony fleet or planet caught in the crossfire.

Maybe a return of Vrlithwai.

precisely what i'm talking about. i make a suggestion about a far future story (just so things can be different), but you still want details on the battles that were fought during the 1000-year interval? if the macross storyline is gonna animate humanity's battles with zentraedi fleets and SA for the next 300 or 1000 and so years, then that wouldn't make for anything different than what we've seen before, would it? and besides, how many different series would that take?

Didn't Mari Iijima do the voice in the ADV remastered and dubbed release of Macross? I remember watching the interview on YouTube. It seems at one time she did hate being type-cast into Minmay, but has since come to accept it. I'll bet she would do it if they asked her. I mean, look at how Frontier is doing and how popular the songs are becoming. I think it would really boost her career to a new level.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dgO3I7uVn4I

I tell you what, she still looks cute after so many years! :D

I don't think she'd be quite as enthusiastic to do a Japanese voice acting job...and I think the penduluum may have swung back from "I Am Minmay" to "I Am NOT Minmay." At least, she hasn't performed "DYRL" at any of her shows in Los Angeles for a few years now (and still seems a little annoyed that most of the new people who show up at her concerts do so mainly because they know her as the voice of Minmay), and she really didn't seem terribly happy to sign my copy of "Macross Love Story" a few months ago.

I don't think she'd be quite as enthusiastic to do a Japanese voice acting job...and I think the penduluum may have swung back from "I Am Minmay" to "I Am NOT Minmay." At least, she hasn't performed "DYRL" at any of her shows in Los Angeles for a few years now (and still seems a little annoyed that most of the new people who show up at her concerts do so mainly because they know her as the voice of Minmay), and she really didn't seem terribly happy to sign my copy of "Macross Love Story" a few months ago.

hehe. well, leonard nimoy eventually accepted his role in pop culture. hopefully, Mari Ijama will come around and get there one day. :)

At least Mari Ijima didn't sing a hobbit song, so i'm hoping she'll come around sooner. :lol:

Yeah, I see what you mean. But, I suppose if it were a decent paying gig she would. I think it's always a struggle between being famous for her role as Minmay and being appreciated for her music talent. It seems she does want to promote that she is a talented singer, composer, songwriter above anything else which is understandable. It's not like she earns extra money for singing any Macross songs or for signing Macross related autographs. I am one to admit that I don't really follow her music other than her Macross stuff, and I guess that's sort of the problem as she might see it.

hehe. well, leonard nimoy eventually accepted his role in pop culture. hopefully, Mari Ijama will come around and get there one day. :)

At least Mari Ijima didn't sing a hobbit song, so i'm hoping she'll come around sooner. :lol:

Its always funny when actors either accept or refuse to accept being famous for the roles that they play. Leonard Nimoy is a famous example (I think that the first autobio was "I am not Spock" and the second was "I am Spock" :lol: )

Tom Baker is another classic example, as openly admits that he still considers himself to be The Doctor. A true legend.

I know that a lot of actors fear typecasting and rabid fans, but quite a few also forget that there are a lot of unemployed actors out there who would be happy to be associated with the same role forever.

Taksraven

(A bit off topic, I know)

hmmm... where does the series go from here.... that is a question with some really broad possibilities.

as to the current series, I am thinking that if frontier is continued beyond 25 or 26 eps it will not be immediate or in the form of an OAV or movie. I am thinking (hoping actually) that a Full Metal Panic style season 1.5 (fumoffuu-style) would be a really good departure from the typical expectations of macross, that would flesh out events that happened in the background of frontier season 1 and its' aftermath, leading into a real season 2 at a later date. this way, it could be a year or more between installments, yet still keep the fandom alive and involved.

lol I can just imagine a rip of the hot springs ep (tessa's vacation/birthday iirc) in fumoffuu using the frontier gang instead! ^_^

Edited by Shaka_Z

But Zola is at the Rim they are on the Vajra planet at the Core regions.

Does it involve Space Whales?

what?? zola is the only planet with hot springs in the macross universe or something? ^^

just think... ranka, sheryl and the gang head to a spring for a weekend...

brera/alto=souseke (think 2 shades of souseke - 1 is the protector, the other is the horny guy trying to get some)

michel (before his death)=kurtz

ranka=tessa

sheryl=kaname

klan=mao

luca=the mecha fan that always hangs around souseke

etc

things would have to be altered a bit to fit the rest of the gang in, but it would be hilarious

[edit]oh man... alto, michel and luca storming the springs - and getting pwned by brera's traps - in ex-gears dressed up as enormous teddy bears[/edit]

Edited by Shaka_Z

[edit]oh man... alto, michel and luca storming the springs - and getting pwned by brera's traps - in ex-gears dressed up as enormous teddy bears[/edit]

:wacko: wow... just wow...

AANNNYYYWWAAYS... I think they'll have a season 2 for Frontier, I kind of think once the Vajra storyline is resolved this season, the next season will be about dealing with Grace and the Galaxy.

Further down the line I would like to see any of the fallowing: 1) a macross prequel set before zero that focuses on the development of the VF-1, basically "The Right Stuff" with transforming aircraft. 2) something set in the time frame between 2012 and mac+ so we can see all the little featured valks (VF-14; VA-3; etc.); and 3) something set around or after the time period of frontier that's not about military or war at all. Instead involving civilian valks, like a pro stunt team or Valk racing.

Really though, we'll probably see something completely different from what we think we will

:wacko: wow... just wow...

AANNNYYYWWAAYS... I think they'll have a season 2 for Frontier, I kind of think once the Vajra storyline is resolved this season, the next season will be about dealing with Grace and the Galaxy.

Further down the line I would like to see any of the fallowing: 1) a macross prequel set before zero that focuses on the development of the VF-1, basically "The Right Stuff" with transforming aircraft. 2) something set in the time frame between 2012 and mac+ so we can see all the little featured valks (VF-14; VA-3; etc.); and 3) something set around or after the time period of frontier that's not about military or war at all. Instead involving civilian valks, like a pro stunt team or Valk racing.

Really though, we'll probably see something completely different from what we think we will

A civilian pro stunt team? Actually I'm thinking of writing in my fic such a team. A team composed of 4 girls, all sisters.

Flying respectively thermonuclear engine upgraded VF-0D, VF-0A, VF-0B, and VF-0S Phoenixes.

Miracle. twins Muse and Therese, and Miranda Jenius.

It'd be interesting if they did a season 2 but with a slightly different cast, this time a new triangler with the current one already resolved. The conflict will be between normal humans in Frontier vs cyborgs/augmented humans in Galaxy. The music will now come not from an idol, but from a band.

How about a series set 500,000 years ago, during the heyday of the Stellar Republic?

Actually, how about one set during the original galactic civil war when they had just unleashed the Protodeviln. We can have a story dealing with the original Anima Spiritia and how they eventually stopped the first Spiritia Black Hole.

Edited by d3v

The current year is 2059 right?

19 years after Macross Plus.

What if Isamu Dyson had a daughter with Lucy McMillian?

What if Guld had a son with Myung when Myung had him stay for the night?

And these two become rival pilots in a love-hate relationship?

Then insert singer character here to complete the love triangle.

Edited by RedWolf

The current year is 2059 right?

19 years after Macross Plus.

What if Isamu Dyson had a daughter with Lucy McMillian?

What if Guld had a son with Myung when Myung had him stay for the night?

And these two become rival pilots in a love-hate relationship?

Then insert singer character here to complete the love triangle.

See, I told you, this is just a fan fiction thread.

They should rip-off Cowboy Bebop and do a new Macross with bounty hunters.

We already got the Sword Fish rip-off with the VF-27.

Pirates and Smugglers (Macross Dynamite 7), the Mafia (Macross Generation), Rogue Zentradi (Macross VFX), Anti-UN rebels (Macross VFX-2) and private security groups like SMS (Macross Frontier).

Then insert NUNS conspiracy.

Man sounds like Outlaw Star.

It wasn't animated, doesn't count.

It's part of the Chronology. Also saying that is just as saying the events of VF-X2 did not contribute to the current political landscape of Macross Frontier.

Not to mention the VB-6 Koenig Monster which was introduced in VF-X2 and the Frontier stealth cruisers that appear to be a variant of the Algenicus of M3.

Edited by RedWolf