Ride Armors, Legioss and Treads! Oh my!

EXO

Three notes:

1) The back of the MPC Certificate of Authenticity (that gold certificate within the book flap) does list the people involved in the MPC's production including "ENGINEERING - AOSHIMA"

2) I just rewatched the last 5 minutes of Robotech's TNG to try and remember what note Scott leaves on, turns out Sera (Sorji) has her own ride armor paint scheme variant. My hope is piqued for a future limited edition (it look's like it's the same model as Rand's).

Thanks for verifying that Jenius :)

Whoa! I guess I missed Sera (Sorji) having her own mospeada. Might have to go watch that again. Was it in the final Episode?

No in this pic the gap is less and looks different I think the arms in fighter are higher up that helps lessen the gap. ^_^ Also the nose of the cm is straight while the toynami alpha seems to point up a little.

I'm sure some folks have heard me harp on these points before, but let me just point out the issues I have with the CM's that are clearly evident in that comparison pic:

1) The yellow missile rack in the back is protruding up and out. It should pivot down and lower a hell of a lot more in fighter mode.

2) A significant chunk of the tailfins are still sticking out on the Legioss. The tailfins are supposed to be hidden in fighter combo mode.

3) The fighter combo still looks split-level and not flush. It looked that way in the early prototype pics. It still looked that way when the black prototype pics were shown. And the final product still had the noticeable split. The only time the CM's fighter combo looked anything close to flush was when someone on this board created a modified connecting boom.

Look, I'm not knocking the quality or durability of the CM's. But I do consider the above three items design flaws. At the very least, you have to admit that these are three areas where CM's took "artistic liberties."

-------------------------

Regarding Sera's (Sorji's) ride at the end, I coulda swore she was just riding Yellow's (Lancer's) Mospeada while wearing her usual getup. :unsure:

2) I just rewatched the last 5 minutes of Robotech's TNG to try and remember what note Scott leaves on, turns out Sera (Sorji) has her own ride armor paint scheme variant. My hope is piqued for a future limited edition (it look's like it's the same model as Rand's).

I'll admit I haven't watched Robotech: TNG in a good few years, but I just watched all of the original Genesis Cimber MOSPEADA about a week or two ago, and honestly don't remember this at all... wait, as I'm thinking about it more now, is this in the very very end when you see that she stayed on Earth, as you see her ride off on a bike? Darn, I think you're right...

Anyone have a screen cap of this?

Soooo; as I was requesting before; can someone grab a measuring tape or ruler and tell me how tall is the Cms tread in soldier mode?

Thanks in advance

I don't have the link at hand, but I think I remember reading in one comparison of the two that the CMs is 10" and the Toynami is 12". Does this sound right?

If we do see Aoshima repaints we'll know the hatchet was buried but from everything I've heard those two companies are done working together.

If so, too bad indeed.

I'll admit I haven't watched Robotech: TNG in a good few years, but I just watched all of the original Genesis Cimber MOSPEADA about a week or two ago, and honestly don't remember this at all... wait, as I'm thinking about it more now, is this in the very very end when you see that she stayed on Earth, as you see her ride off on a bike? Darn, I think you're right...

Anyone have a screen cap of this?

No screen cap but you've got the timing right. Yellow is on stage still as a woman and we see Sera racing to his concert on her ride armor. Later we see her in the crowd after Yellow reveals his true identity.

Sorry 007, I looked for a tape measure and couldn't find one.

Edited by jenius

Oooh, I don't own a detolf anymore but I suspect you'll have problems. If my tape measure pops up suddenly I'll try to give you better dimensions. the wing span is pretty huge so even if it would fit length-wise it might prove problematic width wise.

The greenie is going to be volume 3... it's probably the one I'm looking forward to the most as well. The instructions that come with the blue Beta show that Lunk will be the guy on the book.

Oooh, I don't own a detolf anymore but I suspect you'll have problems. If my tape measure pops up suddenly I'll try to give you better dimensions. the wing span is pretty huge so even if it would fit length-wise it might prove problematic width wise.

The greenie is going to be volume 3... it's probably the one I'm looking forward to the most as well. The instructions that come with the blue Beta show that Lunk will be the guy on the book.

Sorry if this was asked before, but does it show who will be on the book for the Shadow Beta?

Another positive Beta review... it's a shame that they're following it up with the Maia MPC Alpha. Someone on Robotech.com confirmed that it really is just a repaint of Rook's MPC so none of the Aoshima improvements AND they didn't even add the slot for the Destabilizer gun so you can't attach the gun in fighter mode... WHOOPS! I'm surprised the CollectionDX guys didn't even mention the fold down cockpit and give a little praise to CMs for how they handled that but maybe it seemed like a dead horse already.

Man. In almost every picture I see of the toynami alphas the heads are always crooked or cocked awkwardly. I'm glad to see from the CDX review that the beta has some super clicky joints. HOT! Maybe I'll pick up a cheap MPC rook and get a red beta. What is the possibility of not getting an alpha with a crooked head or broken crap?

Just saw the review... Excellent review, I gotta recommend that everyone see it in HD so you can see the toy in it's full glory.

Well as one of the biggest Toynami haters here. I gotta say I'm looking forward to receiving this toy. I'll defend my distaste for their Robotech stuff. I liked the Voltron but I'll support them if it's as good as these guys say it is. Also I had the same thought before about Toynami issuing a more plastic Alpha, kinda like what they did with the Voltron toy. As long as they improve the fit and plastic quality. Now if they only worked on improving their cartoons(HG). With the positive review that Save gave the Mospeada, it looks like it's gonna be good for us Mospeada freaks... I'll be looking forward to that 1/100 Regult too if everything comes out OK.

New Alphas please, don't let a good Beta go to waste... and take advantage of those molds! (but fix them first!)

I'm not sure I like the CDX review too much, good video quality and all, but lacking in not mentioning the any faults with the beta. Like Jenius said the cockpit and dissing CMs Tread like that, they seem a bit amateurish. Toyamami could have done something better with that cockpit, the bulbous shape kind of reminds me of the old Matcbox Robotech toys, but I digress. I'll probably still end up buying a beta anyhow, just wish that detail was taken care of, but Toyanmi has come a long way if we compare it with the alpha. So props to them for that.

well the biggest disconcert for me is the Beta cockpit..how come no one has figured how to make a new prop for it made of resin or something else so is more accurate with a new chest plate?

well the biggest disconcert for me is the Beta cockpit..how come no one has figured how to make a new prop for it made of resin or something else so is more accurate with a new chest plate?

It's still way early for that... many people haven't even gotten their's yet. Then there will be the engineering phase. I still like my idea for doing it, like thus:

1) Have a solid piece of plastic that connects to the hinge and forms the back part of the cockpit.

2) In the center of this pieace of plastic, mount the cockpit (it will have to have its own rear as well) in such a way that you can spin it around.

3) Make the bottom of the new cockpit look like the chest you'd want to see on the Beta (obviously you'd have to make some compromises so the bottom of the cockpit didn't look too freakish.

4) When transforming, simply spin the cockpit around before folding it down. It'll still probably be rounder than the CMs but I think you could probably come up with a substatial improvement.

I have no talent for modifying or modeling whatsoever, that just seems like a good way of doing it to me.

I'm totally salivating over that Mospeada but DREADING transforming it for the first time. I get the feeling I'm going to have to dedicate an entire evening after work to putting it through a couple transformations.

Great Review jenius, a great thing to read on Christmas morning! Looks like next year is going to be an incredibly awesome year for all of us Mospeada fans, I am glad I got into it this past spring! So many things to love about it, so many things done well, yet the series is so overlooked.

I know this is out of the loop, but is it possible to mount the CMs Legioss somehow on the Toynami Beta's connecting booms?

After seeing how the Beta turned out in Toynami/Aoshima's hands, I'd hope to see Aoshima engineer an all new Alpha/Legioss from scratch, and just have Toynami distribute it here in the states. I bought an Aoshima Legioss this year and had buyer's remorse..hadn't had that in a very long time! I remember hearing about what went wrong, and things certainly did go wrong on mine, so rather than taking Toynami's Alpha as a base, it would be better for Aoshima to just make their own, still compatible with the new Beta.

I might pick up a red Beta later next year, even if my red Legioss is busted, the Beta looks like plenty of fun by itself. It looks incredible. Maybe between now and then, I can figure out ways to mod my Aoshima Legioss.

Edited by Shin Densetsu Kai 7.0

Now that I think of it, it seems to me that that cockpit is a little too large for the toy. All the line-art I've seen suggests that the cockpit is smaller than that...

Ya, my biggest problem with the cockpit isn't that it folds down, it is what you mention; that it is too large, too wide, and incorrectly shaped. If that was fixed, this toy would be ace!

(I actually want the legs a tad closer together in fighter, but I can let that slide).

I've always loved that short scene in the Robotech intro where you see the blue Alpha and Beta combined cruising in the air. I don't mind the cockpit issue since I'll probably be leaving it in the combined mode anyway. Glad they included a stand for it. I'm just content it looks as solid as it does and that it finally came out. I know I would never be able to get the Lansay version since that thing was way beyond what I'd be willing to pay for it. I was tempted to get the CM's version if I found it at around $150 or so, but I'm glad I held out for the Toynami version, since I had already bought all the Toynami Alphas.

I've always loved that short scene in the Robotech intro where you see the blue Alpha and Beta combined cruising in the air. I don't mind the cockpit issue since I'll probably be leaving it in the combined mode anyway. Glad they included a stand for it. I'm just content it looks as solid as it does and that it finally came out. I know I would never be able to get the Lansay version since that thing was way beyond what I'd be willing to pay for it. I was tempted to get the CM's version if I found it at around $150 or so, but I'm glad I held out for the Toynami version, since I had already bought all the Toynami Alphas.

QFT. Just... QFT.

Well, I ordered the Beta and the Maia Sterling Alpha and they arrived Wednesday. I can say as everyone else has said, the Beta is awesome. Yes, the hips are a little loose, but still, I like the toy.

Now for the Alpha, what a piece of JUNK! I opened the box, pulled out the plane and first off the paint is not gloss and does not have a smooth feel to it. That's makes sense because it is supposed to be a stealth fighter. I looked it over and noticed right away the glue spots below the intakes, but I figured I could deal with that because you don't see it unless you turn it over. So I decided to transform it, and it was very stiff, as if over glued. I moved the arms over and tried to fold them down for battloid mode, and one of them wouldn't move. I looked at the joint to make sure that there was something missing. I rotated it and some glue that was preventing it from moving finally let go, and under that was a mess, but I decided to continue on and try to fold it down again thinking I could move on. It was still stuck, so I applied more pressure. First the fore arm broke off, and then the sholder peeled right off as if it was made out of paper. The small hinge that allows the arm to fold down was glued solid.

Don't think I am just rough on my collection, I'm not. I am trying to get in contact with the seller of the item to see what can be done.

I need to rewatch that episode where the crew first finds the Tread... I could have sworn the cockpit looks very similar to how it does on the Toynami Beta. I thought they nailed it in bomber mode but maybe my memory is faulty. If it was smaller I don't think the bomber would look nearly as good.