Ride Armors, Legioss and Treads! Oh my!

EXO

Be honest Roger, your motivation for doing this was 20% because it was a dishonest thing for members to do (including me) and 80% was just plain spite.

100% of it was to point out what silly geese people were being.

I don't care about how "dishonest" someone is or isn't. It was a matter of being realistic. It was an obvious error, and even after it was corrected there were people demanding that retailers still honor it, as if the typo was some sort of mandate that they should sell the item at a loss on opening day without question.

I won't deny I was being a dick about it, but the bar had already been set.

Wow, talk about resting on your laurels, Roger. I wasn't one of the ones that argued with you, but to keep bringing it up over and over, you must really be proud of yourself... get over it already...

Hey, I've got a reputation around here to uphold! Honestly, if I didn't ruffle peoples' feathers so much around here and the results weren't so entertaining, I wouldn't be here.

When is chowyunskinny getting that Lifetime Achievement Award I nominated him for?

Edited by Roger

Hey, I've got a reputation around here to uphold!

When is chowyunskinny getting that Lifetime Achievement Award I nominated him for?

LOL, I almost forgot about that :lol:

here's what the nomination was for (it was about the wrong price on the Toynami Beta when vendors first listed it)

yeah, just logged in to my account on BBTS and the price was adjusted to 149.99 for my pre-order

gonna cancel also

this might be good though, maybe BBTS will relay to Toynami how many people canceled after the price adjust

Roger, tell your sister.....

you were right

100% of it was to point out what silly geese people were being.

I don't care about how "dishonest" someone is or isn't. It was a matter of being realistic. It was an obvious error, and even after it was corrected there were people demanding that retailers still honor it, as if the typo was some sort of mandate that they should sell the item at a loss on opening day without question.

I won't deny I was being a dick about it, but the bar had already been set.

But it was an error from a TOYNAMI advertisement! TOYNAMI is artificially inflating the price of the toy (we know that b/c someone's already gotten one for $110, so it's AT LEAST a $40 mark-up with no justification). TOYNAMI should have done SOMETHING other than say whoops, our bad guys, all your stores are wrong b/c of our mistake, too bad and sucks for you stores. Seriously, they should have negotiated some price for people that had pre-ordered (like selling them for $110 since that's obviously still above the cost of production). TOYNAMI is shitty company that appears to have finally put out a decent product, too bad they WAY overpriced it. Clearance sales here I come!

And Roger, the majority of your comments are very trollish. You "challenge" for the sake of challenging, not because you have any grounds to stand on.

Hey, I've got a reputation around here to uphold! Honestly, if I didn't ruffle peoples' feathers so much around here and the results weren't so entertaining, I wouldn't be here.

Congrats on earning a reputation on the internet... must be nice on having a life that easy to live.

While it might have been $80* when announced some time ago, I still can't disagree with $150 now. During the time Toynami's Beta has been in production, there has been quite a flux in the cost of production in China. (Which spiked a short while ago - probably while these were in production - and has now dropped to bargain basement. Too bad for Toynami the Beta wasn't delayed another quarter or so.)

While the Beta is relatively simple in comparison to other transforming toys in the genre, it is still a very complex toy, with a significant number of parts. Its large size also requires significantly sized cavities for parts, equaling more steel, larger tooling. $$$$

Compared with other similar products in my collection, with varying complexities and sizes, I still feel the price is right considering the current economics. Jenius, I respect your experiences with a huge range of similar products, but I don't agree with your assessment in this instance because of the differing economics of production and the companies involved. I also suspect these are flying out of retailers' doors (no pun intended, really!) cheaply because they want to move product during a slow period and are willing to lowball on something that they may have actually lost preorders for during the Beta's - ahem - extensive development period.

Additionally, how many of these will Toynami sell, to diffuse the cost of development and production and lower the price over the whole run? Not as many as what they got out of their Alpha/Legioss tooling, I expect. That's probably the key factor in my estimation. And a 10,000 unit production run? That's a minimum quantity for most of the sort of vendors that manufacture these sorts of toys. Toynami isn't getting any huge price break for this. Similar small-scale toymakers would probably think Toynami is nuts for even bothering, with the economy the way it is. And I think we might find the other editions canceled, or released in similar minimal quantities if they're already on the production line.

I will admit, however, that I do not own one yet, nor do I own one of Yamato's Destroids (not yet, anyway... sigh...) or larger-scale Valks for comparison.

* I can understand that error. I've seen it happen with a couple of other small toy companies. Their overwhelmed graphics or book-keeping department uses a previous product as the template for a new product, and entries get transferred over inaccurately. It sounds as though the MSRP for an "Alpha" found its way into a solicitation for the "Beta", and a couple of retailers got the error before it was corrected. Common sense should have told anyone familiar with the TLEAD/Beta design that the big toy would have been more expensive than the Legioss/Alpha. Retailers aren't always that familiar with all the products they're offering.

Edited by AcroRay

While I'm thinking about it....

Jenius - Any update on that individual or company that was considering making similarly-scaled toys of Mospeada Inbits you'd mentioned at Anymoon?

(Personally, I want to see sofubi or vinyl kit Inbits.)

Oh God, a LOLCat reference.... nice. The latest update regarding the Inbit toys (and I think the style of toy you're thinking about is approximately the type of toy that was planning on being made) is still under consideration but looks extremely doubtful at the moment due to the economic crisis at hand. It was almost impossible to convince Japanese investors to make a bad guy toy right from the onset when times were great.

My Beta should be arriving any minute (I hope) so maybe I'll see something in it that will convince me it ought to cost $150. That said, the economy of scale issue I'm kind of tossing out the window. Toynami is making about 40K Betas. CMs probably made less than 10K total for all variants (some say they made about 5K total). I think I even read somewhere that the CMs was made entirely out of POM and even if it's not the plastic feels super sturdy. So, if the CMs Tread represented about $150 of the cost of that combo I would think, given the 4 to 8x larger quantity Toynami is producing, there's some cost savings there. But it is pretty pointless trying to figure out what goes into the numbers like that, maybe this toy will really bowl me over.

Oh God, a LOLCat reference.... nice. The latest update regarding the Inbit toys (and I think the style of toy you're thinking about is approximately the type of toy that was planning on being made) is still under consideration but looks extremely doubtful at the moment due to the economic crisis at hand. It was almost impossible to convince Japanese investors to make a bad guy toy right from the onset when times were great.

Darn. Ah, well....

Looking forward to your review! Think you'll have it up in the next couple of days? Hot topic!

I'd heard 10K was the edition for the blue one. Do you mean 40K for the blue run, or for the 'complete set' of each in 4 styles?

My overall impression of Toynami is that the economics of their situation push their MSRPs up a bit higher than companies like CMs, even if Toynami's results aren't quite as shiny, as it were.

I wonder where the larger potential number of sales are for any given Mospeada product? Japan, or the US? Its cetrainly something of a cult interest in either market.

My Beta should be arriving any minute (I hope) so maybe I'll see something in it that will convince me it ought to cost $150. That said, the economy of scale issue I'm kind of tossing out the window. Toynami is making about 40K Betas. CMs probably made less than 10K total for all variants (some say they made about 5K total). I think I even read somewhere that the CMs was made entirely out of POM and even if it's not the plastic feels super sturdy. So, if the CMs Tread represented about $150 of the cost of that combo I would think, given the 4 to 8x larger quantity Toynami is producing, there's some cost savings there. But it is pretty pointless trying to figure out what goes into the numbers like that, maybe this toy will really bowl me over.

I'll bet the Robotech license and royalties are a heck of a lot more than Mospeada in Japan too.

Nice big ass box there, question -

Who are they going to place on the Red and Green and Shadow and and and Sterlings Beta box?

Mint, Hunk, uhh

Be nice if they give the nod to Corg and Sera, please not Mint r Hunk... >_< save them for the jeep release. :p

Edited by ruskiiVFaussie

Nice big ass box there, question -

Who are they going to place on the Red and Green and Shadow and and and Sterlings Beta box?

Mint, Hunk, uhh

Be nice if they give the nod to Corg and Sera, please not Mint r Hunk... >_< save them for the jeep release. :p

The instruction booklet shows Mint with the Red Beta, and Lunk with the Green. No art for the shadow. The only unused character is ariel/marlene though, so might as well go with her.

Edited by Phyrox

Ahh so it's Lunk. sorry it's easy for me to get those 2 mixed up! :lol: duh!

The instruction booklet shows Mint with the Red Beta, and Lunk with the Green. No art for the shadow. The only unused character is ariel/marlene though, so might as well go with her.

Thanks for that! Would have preferred to have Ariel on the Red Beta. :/ Oh well. We never see the Red Beta though Better to have Areil as the Red, and Lunk or Mint respectively for the Greeny and Shadow.

Edited by ruskiiVFaussie

Ok, after reading this thread for weeks... planning on saving my money for the various MOSPEADAs... watching Genesis Climber MOSPEADA on dvd...

I took the plunge and ordered an alpha and a beta. I say alpha and beta, since I ordered them from Robotech.com.

I ordered the Shadow Alpha and the Blue Beta. I plan on getting the Shadow Beta too, when it comes out. Meanwhile, I guess it's time to start searching for the Blue Alpha to match. Does anyone have any ideas where I could find one? It's Toynami, right? So a Toynami one will fit, but if I wanted the Robotech-labeled one, is Robotech.com (or possibly eBay) the only place to get it, or does anyone else resell Robotech items?

Thanks.

Scott's blue MPC Alpha is sold out everywhere. There's some conspiracy theories that Toynami never made 15K of them and may some day release the rest. For now though eBay is pretty much your only place to find one and expect to spend way too much.

Scott's blue MPC Alpha is sold out everywhere. There's some conspiracy theories that Toynami never made 15K of them and may some day release the rest. For now though eBay is pretty much your only place to find one and expect to spend way too much.

Darn. I was hoping that there was some online retailer that somehow still had some stock left. I knew I should've sucked it up and bought it when it first came out.

MOSPEADA was just too influential a cartoon for me when I was a kid... can't say no.

there are still a couple of online retail places that have them but as everyone else has said..... be prepared to pay lots....

try this link

blue alpha

Good God! $300!?!?!?!?!

Some of the other stuff is insane too. $175 for the bookends that are available on Robotech.com for $99... and other similar things...

Well, I appreciate the link. That you very much. Let me know if you see it anywhere for... more reasonable. I fully expect to have to pay a premium, but $300 is way too much. Rather put that money towards a a couple different Garlands.

Good God! $300!?!?!?!?!

Some of the other stuff is insane too. $175 for the bookends that are available on Robotech.com for $99... and other similar things...

Well, I appreciate the link. That you very much. Let me know if you see it anywhere for... more reasonable. I fully expect to have to pay a premium, but $300 is way too much. Rather put that money towards a a couple different Garlands.

Yup... agreed. but bare in mind that $300 is for a mint one. They are pretty rare these days. If i see one i'll let u know B))

Yup... agreed. but bare in mind that $300 is for a mint one. They are pretty rare these days. If i see one i'll let u know B))

Thanks, I appreciate it. Don't need it mint in box, though would like it complete, including having the box for displaying.

So if I am interpreting all of the hub bub correctly the Toynami Beta is getting good reviews so the Toynami Alpha is now “cool” again?

Out of all (what is it 2? Toynami, CM, ???) Alpha/Beta combos out there what is the consensus on which pair are the best?

thanks