Macross renaissance

sharky

:angry: I'm confused as to why you think I'm a bad-tempered, difficult, cantankerous person. :p No one I know would call me that. :)

Now, now Misaforever. We use that term in good humor and endearing, friendly ribbing. The same way the SF community uses the term for Harlan Ellison, an old loveable curmudgeon.

Or a puma...

Back to the subject, it's great to be a fan of Macross fan right now in that now on my part I have the disposable cash for it. I may have been a fan of Macross since the 80's but I've never even had access to Macross 7 until recently, let alone the cash for it. Nowadays we've got high quality toys from Yamato and Bandai and a celebration of the franchise in the form of the 25th annivesary series Frontier.

here's an even more interesting possibility: a new Macross series that will air starting September 2012. 3 guesses on what it will be about, but you'd only need one. ;)

um, lemme see:

1. all Mayan calendars end on Sep2012, a cryptic prophecy about the end of the world-- birdman returns to kick our @$$es?

2. collission with Pleiades cluster predicted in 2012-- Macross:Armageddon?

ok, ok, one more guess. gotta make it good. hmmmm, let's see...

edit: why is my avatar back to the old one? :huh:

Edited by Major Focker

IMO, it's been a great time to be a Macross fan since about year 2000 or maybe 2002 onwards.

Graham

It seems to me since Macross Zer0 came out, more people know about Macross (well around my area anyways). Great new series,great toys, great music, great time to be a fan. ^_^B))

I agree. MF has made me remember what I felt when I first the original series and Macross plus. ^_^

Definitely.

But I was also quite excited about Zero, as well (and I saw a lot of parallel scenes with the original series which may or may not have been intended...Sara falling off the flying totem pole (or whatever it was) and Shin jumping after her seemed to echo Hikaru pulling Minmay into the VF-1D cockpit, for example...but that was of course before Frontier showed me who homages SHOULD be done). Seeing the VF-0 transform in episode 1 was one of those truly breathtaking moments.

2002 was also the time I had my first MONTH-LONG MACROSS MARATHON MADNESS, which was the first time I saw the end of Dynamite 7 (since the closest japanese video had volumes 1, 2, and 3, but not 4) and, I believe, the first time I saw ALL of Macross II (I had seen the first two episodes in 1992 or '93, but didn't like it, and never saw the rest. Of course, the fact that it was only available in that atrocious U.S. Renditions dub may have been a factor, as well).

But yeah...that's nothing compared to now. Mostly because I hit on the idea of doing the Mega Macross Torrent, I've been immersing myself pretty thoroughly in all things Macross...finally tracking down previously elusive things like Macross Generation (enh...) and Mylene Beat (surprisingly good!), putting almost two days worth of Macross music on my iPod, and biting off WAY more than I can chew in terms of translation work...

But it's been a hell of a lot of fun. And while I can't quite recapture the passion for the series I had when I was a kid (as I've said elsewhere, I thought the story was happening. When *ahem* "Rick," "Lisa," "Ben," and Max got captured by the "Zentraedi," I really panicked, figuring they would never be able to get home. I completely and utterly didn't understand story logic yet...), at least I can afford more DVDs, CDs, books, magazines, and model kits. And I can understand a lot more of what I watch and listen to, which is always gratifying.

Definitely.

But I was also quite excited about Zero, as well (and I saw a lot of parallel scenes with the original series which may or may not have been intended...Sara falling off the flying totem pole (or whatever it was) and Shin jumping after her seemed to echo Hikaru pulling Minmay into the VF-1D cockpit, for example...but that was of course before Frontier showed me who homages SHOULD be done). Seeing the VF-0 transform in episode 1 was one of those truly breathtaking moments.

2002 was also the time I had my first MONTH-LONG MACROSS MARATHON MADNESS, which was the first time I saw the end of Dynamite 7 (since the closest japanese video had volumes 1, 2, and 3, but not 4) and, I believe, the first time I saw ALL of Macross II (I had seen the first two episodes in 1992 or '93, but didn't like it, and never saw the rest. Of course, the fact that it was only available in that atrocious U.S. Renditions dub may have been a factor, as well).

But yeah...that's nothing compared to now. Mostly because I hit on the idea of doing the Mega Macross Torrent, I've been immersing myself pretty thoroughly in all things Macross...finally tracking down previously elusive things like Macross Generation (enh...) and Mylene Beat (surprisingly good!), putting almost two days worth of Macross music on my iPod, and biting off WAY more than I can chew in terms of translation work...

But it's been a hell of a lot of fun. And while I can't quite recapture the passion for the series I had when I was a kid (as I've said elsewhere, I thought the story was happening. When *ahem* "Rick," "Lisa," "Ben," and Max got captured by the "Zentraedi," I really panicked, figuring they would never be able to get home. I completely and utterly didn't understand story logic yet...), at least I can afford more DVDs, CDs, books, magazines, and model kits. And I can understand a lot more of what I watch and listen to, which is always gratifying.

I think the best part is, I saw macross as a kid (through Robocrap) and macross plus as a teen, with out hardly any money. Now I have a good well paying job, and internet access.I can now try to catch up to my nostolgia (although it rapes my wallet hard), and continue with all the new goodies, as an adult with disposible income. ^_^

I just realized: it's now September 2008...which, according to the Macross Chronicle Timeline, is when Zero is supposed to happen... :ph34r:

And since, as I mentioned before, the Macross launch date is coming up...and since, while South Atalia Island doesn't exist, there really IS an island where it's supposed to be, I'm telling ya...

The time: February 7, 2009

The place: South Iwo Jima

The event: MACROSS PARTY!! W00T!!

Anyone else up for it? :lol:

I don't see Macross Zero as a high point for Macross. In fact, I think from an anime market point of view, Macross Zero seems to have hurt Macross more than anything else.

Macross Zero barely made any showing among North American fans and what little impression the show did make was largely uninspired or negative. It's been my impression that Macross Zero soured a lot of potential fans to Macross who were totally underwhelmed by the show. More often than not I find myself apologizing for Zero and when I try selling Macross Frontier to potential fans, I always have to distance the new show from Macross Zero to win people over. Although response to Macross Frontier has been really good, I think response would have done better if Macross Zero never existed (though the CGI lessons of Zero obviously benefitted Kawamori and Co. more than audiences).

I remember well the atmosphere on other anime sites like AN or MAHQ after Macross Zero was finished; it was morose to say the least. Even the long time Macross fans were pretty much writing off the franchise at that point.

Macross Frontier by comparison has definitely been a high water mark for the franchise; at least so far. As far as I can tell in the fan circles and general anime fandom, there has been far more interest in Macross Frontier than there ever was in Macross Zero. The buzz surrounding the show and mention of Macross appears to be at it's highest point since Macross Plus (which was itself an OVA/Film). The show has even won a lot of Robotech fans over (there's currently a huge topic running at the megaverse forums).

Whether Frontier turns out great or not in the end, it has definitely put Macross back on the map as far as North American fandom. It's gone about as far as it can without an official Region 1 DVD release.

What, March, is that mean M7 is actually better than M0?

Story is another issue. But...

From a marketing stand, M0 suffered because it's an OVA series. Inconsistent release times, less exposure compared to a TV series (in fact, there was no TV series on at the time to help it along). Macross Plus got marketing help from M7 since it aired right around the time M+ was released (i.e. OMG! More Macross to spend money on!). M0 was sitting on it's own when it came out. No re-runs on TV, no big video game. Mass marketing helps. ;)

Well, what happened in Japan and what happened here are two totally different things. I can only relay what my experience has been walking among NA fandom. Perhaps Macross Zero did good in Japan, but it was definitely not a boon to the fandom over here from what I can see.

IMO, it's been a great time to be a Macross fan since about year 2000 or maybe 2002 onwards.

Graham

Its always been a great time to be a Macross fan!!!!!!!! Macross is an Anime unlike any other, whether there was a series that we really liked or could have done without, doesn't matter. We all got together as friends and devoted fans to talk about & complain about it!!! We've laughed, we've cried and even said Holy %*$^#@!! that was awesome!!!

For me I always feel nostalgic when watch Macross, I saw Robotech on the very day it debuted in 1985, I was still in 4th grade and ran home everyday after to tape it on my VCR (That's pre DVD and DVR for some of you, j/k) I saw a bootleg copy of Macross DYRL later in 85' and was hooked ever since. Even though macross 7 wasn't great, its still a part of macross History!!

Just like "Sharky" said, I remember going to conventions or too Little Tokyo at the Pony Toy Go Round at Yohan Plaza, Los Angeles just to look at all the new toys and model kits that were out!! And its true, back in the day people would be like Anime whats that.... "you mean speed racer??" So its come along way, Anime. But macross will always be the most the special and dedicated or series because of its fan base and Websites like macrossworld.com!!!

Macross 4 life!!!!!

Some of my friends on my area are getting to know Macross due to Frontier from Anime forums, youtube and post i do in myspace, I will try now to show them Zero, DYRL? and then start showing Frontier.

You are right, this is a Macross Renaissance of the type that we haven't seen since the days of Macross Plus. There is so much stuff around now that it is brilliant.

The only aspect that bothers me is the fact that it is very likely that once Frontier ends we will probably have to wait for the 30th anniversary to get new Macross. I don't mind as long as the quality is good, but the long waits are annoying. Especially, since as fair as I am concerned, there are few other shows that enertain me as much.

Taksraven

When I started posting toy reviews I figured I'd do it for a few months, maybe a year, and then everything I owned would be on the site and I'd have to move onto something else. It's now been more than a couple years and new stuff is being released so frequently that I can't even come close to keeping up. I definitely did not see this coming. If I did one post a week I could go through the rest of the year posting nothing but renaissance toys that currently aren't on my site. Wow... so much good stuff.

The only aspect that bothers me is the fact that it is very likely that once Frontier ends we will probably have to wait for the 30th anniversary to get new Macross. I don't mind as long as the quality is good, but the long waits are annoying. Especially, since as fair as I am concerned, there are few other shows that enertain me as much.

Taksraven

I consider each new Macross like eating a dinner cooked by a high class international chef and most of the other anime like eating at MacDonalds

I just realized: it's now September 2008...which, according to the Macross Chronicle Timeline, is when Zero is supposed to happen... :ph34r:

And since, as I mentioned before, the Macross launch date is coming up...and since, while South Atalia Island doesn't exist, there really IS an island where it's supposed to be, I'm telling ya...

The time: February 7, 2009

The place: South Iwo Jima

The event: MACROSS PARTY!! W00T!!

Anyone else up for it? :lol:

:lol: awesome idea! i can see it now....

February 7, 2009:

UN Admiral: What do you mean a group of foreign otakus are coming to Iwo Jima today??

Aide: Yes sir, and for one reason or another they seem to have picked our exact coordinates as their first tourist destination. and it's a BIG group sir. since the japanese immigrations department doesn't know about "Project WarpSpeed", they approved the visit.

Admiral: What the?? Is this just a coincidence? How did those tourists find out about the "launch"?? How did they even know we have an alien ship here?? Was the information leaked?

Aide: No way sir! we make sure all our pilots are always drunk on duty, so they don't actually know what's going on.

Admiral: I KNEW we shouldn't have called it project WarpSpeed. Dammn trekkies. should've followed Focker's advice and just called it "project ASS-1"...

Aide: *Stifles some laughter.*

Admiral: what the hell are you laughing about? that was a serious project name.

Aide: um... sir, are you forgetting WHO suggested that name?

Admiral: .....

oh...... oh sh*t... no wonder everyone was smiling in the war room. damn that Focker. oh what the hell. continue the launch. i don't care if those idiots are beside the ASS... er... "space ship" when it does. Start countdown!

Edited by dreamweaver13

Well, Macross Zero was excellent (for me at least), but it was Frontier what made me watch the 36 episodes of the original SDF Macross in Youtube (God bless the internet) a few months ago...

I can't wait to see some Macross F merchandise (toys!!!)... ^_^

That's awesome to hear, that even though you started watching the newer Macross series, you went back to to see how it ALL started with the original TV series!!! And yes Macross Zero was great!!!! :rolleyes:

Well, Macross Zero was excellent (for me at least), but it was Frontier what made me watch the 36 episodes of the original SDF Macross in Youtube (God bless the internet) a few months ago...

I can't wait to see some Macross F merchandise (toys!!!)... ^_^

Oh come on. The original, no matter how dated, deserves to be viewed under better conditions than that. :mellow:

I have never been so glued to a anime series not since mac + and mac 0 (f#@# great but too short), dyrl and mac II were those animes you just watch for the entire day, they were great still bring such great memories. BUT MAC F, I got to say it is something that just makes my week, every thursday or friday I just get off school take the rest of the day off, "chill and relax", and just go down to my favorite tea bar and just watch that episode over and over, and relax. honestly I remember getting fired and not being as depressed because I was watching mac f the day after making a living off ebay, (it makes my day), and this is scary but I hate the idea of the series ending, I know it will happen but I tell myself it will go on and on. SOME ONE TELL ME THAT ITS NOT GOING TO END, RIGHT :wacko:

Edited by deadghost

That's awesome to hear, that even though you started watching the newer Macross series, you went back to to see how it ALL started with the original TV series!!! And yes Macross Zero was great!!!! :rolleyes:

Same here. I stumbled onto Frontier while watching Gundam 00 because the same fansub group was subbing these 2 shows. I watched ep1 of Frontier and the introduction of the war with zentradi really intrigued me. I went to look up Macross on wiki and I was amazed at the history of this franchise. That was when I know I have to watch the original series. I wasn't even born when SDF macross was showing, so imagine my awe and surprise when I realized that it was one of the most beautiful stories ever told in the world of anime. It was totally awesome.

I was still very young when Macross 7 was showing but of course I went finish the entire series after watching SDF Macross. Then I went on to Macross Plus and Macross Zero. After that I continued Frontier. I always used to think that gundam was THE mecha anime to watch but after discovering this old gem that is Macross, I couldn't believe how much I've been missing out. I'm really glad I get to watch these wonderful series.

Same here. I stumbled onto Frontier while watching Gundam 00 because the same fansub group was subbing these 2 shows. I watched ep1 of Frontier and the introduction of the war with zentradi really intrigued me. I went to look up Macross on wiki and I was amazed at the history of this franchise. That was when I know I have to watch the original series. I wasn't even born when SDF macross was showing, so imagine my awe and surprise when I realized that it was one of the most beautiful stories ever told in the world of anime. It was totally awesome.

I was still very young when Macross 7 was showing but of course I went finish the entire series after watching SDF Macross. Then I went on to Macross Plus and Macross Zero. After that I continued Frontier. I always used to think that gundam was THE mecha anime to watch but after discovering this old gem that is Macross, I couldn't believe how much I've been missing out. I'm really glad I get to watch these wonderful series.

SOMEONE GET THIS MAN A YOSHINOL! NOW! ^_^

An advice to you: don't just think that Gundam or Macross is THE only mecha show. There are plenty of mecha shows that are actually quite good, so be bold and try to see some others.

BTW, nice to see another converted Macross fan.

i Dont have Yoshinol to offer right now, but here, DRINK UP!

drinkup.jpg

welcome to the jungle...

Its a disguised blessing that Macross comes out only every 5 years

because Mr. Kawamori decided to stay within the same universe

each consecutive series expands on the story universe.

It's enough time for each new generation of Macross fan to absorb and be absorbed by the ever expanding Macross universe -

when the next series comes along he has matured enough to be nostalgic of the time when he was the newbie -

he is wide eyed in anticipating the arrival of the new series and just all-too eager to share this excitement with the new batch of wide-eyed Macross fan, too.

more often than not, a Macross fan doesnt look down on the newbie, in fact he welcomes him.

AND Welcome to the jungle !!!

Edited by polidread