Macross Frontier News Thread IV *Read 1st post*

azrael

That's awesome news. B))

Unfortunately, Mariya Takeuchi's album, "Expressions" seems to have knocked the OST to 2nd. But, the goal is to remain in the top 3, and hopefully, beat out OST vol. 1's record (linky)

Unfortunately, Mariya Takeuchi's album, "Expressions" seems to have knocked the OST to 2nd. But, the goal is to remain in the top 3, and hopefully, beat out OST vol. 1's record (linky)

It's just the daily rankings, yesterday OST 2 sold more than double Mariya Takeuchi did, and today, Mariya outsold OST 2 by just a few CDs. So there's still hope that OST 2 will make it as #1 in the weekly rankings, which is what really matters. OST 2 is doing quite well, the series has ended more than one week ago which means less publicity for the CD, and yet they managed to snag top 3 daily ranks. There is one concert before the weekly rankings are published, which I suppose should boost the sales, so I'm still hopeful it will get up there.

Edited by mike_s_6

Crossposted from AS, from Famitsu and via Spanish Macross Generation forums and translated from Japanese to Spanish to English (but the gist should be there) :blink: Respect to cheesie, my sistah in crime from IRC/AS for helping cobble it from IRC ramblings into a coherent post.

Episode 1 : Kawamori is finally be able to see the culmination of 3 years of work.

Kawamori on Episode 2: "I always dreamed that Minmay would have an older sister and I felt exactly that when we designed the mini duet of Ranka and Sheryl at the observatory."

Kawamori on Episode 4: "This was a debt to Mikimoto, who forgave me for Minmay winning her pageant. Not only him, but Matsuda Seiko (Mikimoto's inspiration for creating Minmay) never won anything as an unknown. As I was writing the script, I thought to prove that Mikimoto would have been right."

Kawamori on Episode 5: "This episode was written to definitively establish Sheryl as Ranka's big sister, but when we finished the script we discovered a new character through her qualities as a woman. This was our most edited script, and I still wasn't convinced this was an important character for Frontier. But Risa Ebata convinced me to give the changes a chance, and when I saw the fan response, I didn't give credit. Hours later we were in a conference with Big West to send a list of changes for episode 6 to our secondary studio."

Connecting to Episode 18 : Though the script has been changed as early as Episode 5 to work Sheryl's character into the story, expanding Sheryl's storyline is another matter, as Kawamori isn't sure which direction Sheryl should take, so Ohnogi asked to leave everything into his hands; he was given free reign over Episode 18+ onwards as Kawamori watched. Here, this is where Sheryl's character is "remade" and polished in Episode 22.

Episode 7: This episode was a gift to the mecha fans. Completely dedicated to them.

Episode 10 : In the second half, Kawamori's cameo [the director] was unplanned. However, it [Ranka's fame] ended up being counterproductive, as Ranka in future episodes demanded much, so Kawamori believes her fame doesn't bring her good fortune. (The phrasing was vague in some parts, but this is the best I could do.)

Kawamori on Episode 12 : "I only made this episode to make people angry, and from there, the kira. Someone who arrives to a battle singing nowadays isn't as crazy as in the time of Macross 7." (stray: "I think the gist of 12 is that he wanted to go from raaaage... to.... kira!")

Kawamori on Episode 14 : "Here I wanted to pay homage to the work of a great friend (Ohnogi)."

Episode 16 : Another idea of Mikimoto's. To show how a romantic idea (singing) under the perspective of whatever government lose it's romantic meaning to become an instrument of war.

Kawamori on Episode 17 : He's teasing fans who didn't get the pineapple salad concept; it's not fatal for Skull Leaders, just womanizers. That Roy was Skull Leader and a womanizer was just a coincidence.

Kawamori on Episode 20 : "This was the most difficult episode I've had to direct in my career. I read in diverse forums that people were sad. The staff was the same way. But we were able to express exactly what we intended: the desperation."

Kawamori on Episode 21 : "This was the end of a cycle full of trying different things. The innocent version of Ranka Lee was different from the message we were trying to convey. Ohnogi then sent her on a voyage of self discovery. It was hard for us, and for her."

Kawamori on Episode 22 : "Humility is the word. Ohnogi stopped here to polish sheryl. This episode is full of tests of humility."

Episode 23 : Family, the simple life. Dreams and actions. A good episode to show the real motivations of the main characters.

Kawamori on Episode 24 : "The last frontier of the heart is yourself. The fans loved the scenes of Alto and Sheryl, and I must say, so did I! They look great on screen. (laughs)"

Episode 25 was Kawamori's dream made reality.

Q1 : How would you define frontier with respect to your previous work?

Kawamori : "While Macross plus is a history where conflict arises in profound mental and physical trauma, adding emotional problems, in Frontier I wanted to express the type of conflict that could occur if it is not possible to understand suitably. To continue, Frontier is an example of the tragedies that can occur when [one] could not understand someone, by the fault of lacking a suitable language."

Kawamori on Macross Frontier Movie : The Macross Frontier movie will follow the guideline of "Do You Remember Love, I'd like for all to see Frontier on the big screen, with great sound."

Edited by stray

Ah, so it will be a retelling.

I find these comments really interesting in that the character of Sheryl probably was the least planned from the start. I wonder about Alto though. Is it possible that he just got eaten alive character-wise by the two female leads?

Episode 7: This episode was a gift to the mecha fans. Completely dedicated to them.

Kawamori on Episode 20 : "This was the most difficult episode I've had to direct in my career. I read in diverse forums that people were sad. The staff was the same way. But we were able to express exactly what we intended: the desperation."

ZOMG :ph34r: SK is here somewhere lurking and reading all of our post :ph34r:

Btw, nice job on episode 7, the episode title should be changed into "First Attack, dedicated to Macross mecha fan" ^_^

Kawamori on Macross Frontier Movie : The Macross Frontier movie will follow the guideline of "Do You Remember Love, I'd like for all to see Frontier on the big screen, with great sound."

I hate to beat a dead horse but DYRL is STILL the s#it!!! If Kawamori can bring the level of Macross F up to the same degree he took Macross to DYRL that WOULD BE DECULTURE!!!! Just in case Mr. Kawamori is reading this: "GIVE YOUR BOY MIKIMOTO SOME LOVE AND LET HIM DO THE CHARACTERS FOR THE MACROSS F MOVIE!!!" ^_^

Hopefully that means a full blown reimagination and not just a re-edit of the series.

-Sergorn

Ah, so it will be a retelling.

I find these comments really interesting in that the character of Sheryl probably was the least planned from the start. I wonder about Alto though. Is it possible that he just got eaten alive character-wise by the two female leads?

Actually, I find that despite his looks, Alto is pretty much a throwback to older anime space opera leads in that he's above average as a pilot, but not the best and that he doesn't carry much emotional baggage and was pretty much willing and able to fight the war, unlike alot of modern mecha anime leads who often undergo some period of not wanting to fight and doubting their cause.

Japanese forums?

Btw, nice job on episode 7, the episode title should be changed into "First Attack, dedicated to Macross mecha fan" ^_^

snip.......

YAY!!!! :D DYRL-route. :D

So...does this mean we get MOAR graphic violence (chopped heads, point blank headshots -->reserved for Leon :), bullet riddled bodies, etc. etc.)? :ph34r:

I hope te movie isn't a re-editing of the series. :unsure:

If your reading this SK, thanks a million for bringing us MACROSS!!! :D

Edited by grss1982

Crossposted from AS, from Famitsu and via Spanish Macross Generation forums and translated from Japanese to Spanish to English (but the gist should be there) :blink: Respect to cheesie, my sistah in crime from IRC/AS for helping cobble it from IRC ramblings into a coherent post.

Episode 1 : Kawamori is finally be able to see the culmination of 3 years of work.

Kawamori on Episode 2: "I always dreamed that Minmay would have an older sister and I felt exactly that when we designed the mini duet of Ranka and Sheryl at the observatory."

Kawamori on Episode 4: "This was a debt to Mikimoto, who forgave me for Minmay winning her pageant. Not only him, but Matsuda Seiko (Mikimoto's inspiration for creating Minmay) never won anything as an unknown. As I was writing the script, I thought to prove that Mikimoto would have been right." .........

So what is the source of the these comments? Video commentary? Interview? What?

Edited by Zinjo

Considering his recent record of epic trolls, I'm keeping an eye out on the HFH just in case he's pulling off another on with this. :ph34r:

Also, I'm pleasantly surprised at Ohnogi's involvement as I haven't seen him mentioned working on Frontier in most sources online.

Edited by d3v

The source is an interview that Kawamori gave to the magazine Famitsu and was partially translated to Spanish by Shaloom from the Macross Generation Forum. I don't know were the english translation comes from, but it is almost completely accurate with only a few unimportant imprecisions.

Considering his recent record of epic trolls, I'm keeping an eye out on the HFH just in case he's pulling off another on with this. :ph34r:

Also, I'm pleasantly surprised at Ohnogi's involvement as I haven't seen him mentioned working on Frontier in most sources online.

The gist for episode 18 blurb was that Hiroshi Ohnogi was brought into the staff for that episode onward, and... had a difficult task ahead. The changes early on left the writing staff unsure of where to go with Sheryl's story, so Ohnogi asked Kawamori to put everything in his hands. And... Kawamori did. "It was cruel, because we pushed Sheryl to the limit farther than any other character until the end of the series, but I think this is where we see Sheryl Nome reborn by Ohnogi."

I assume that his involvement was kept under wraps considering his involvement with SDFM and other Kawamori projects. 

The source is an interview that Kawamori gave to the magazine Famitsu and was partially translated to Spanish by Shaloom from the Macross Generation Forum. I don't know were the english translation comes from, but it is almost completely accurate with only a few unimportant imprecisions.

I actually did the tl to English, mostly from the Spanish.  :rolleyes: (and I did get lazy in a few spots, and skip a handful of lines... I may get to them) Glad to hear it was relatively true to the source, however.

I think this is a big mistake. Sure, it'll be great and look great, but we still have these gigantic plot holes left over from the series with no answers in sight.

There's certainly things I would enjoy seeing expanded on, but I really don't know that there's anything one might call a plot-hole. I definitely agree that we don't need a condensed version of Frontier. Though I'm sure I'll be constantly refreshing the usual fansub sites in eager anticipation of getting to see it.

I think this is a big mistake. Sure, it'll be great and look great, but we still have these gigantic plot holes left over from the series with no answers in sight.

As long as the animation and the designs are superb, I don't mind plot-holes... B))

I really really hope we see re-designed mecha on the film... ^_^

As long as the animation and the designs are superb, I don't mind plot-holes... B))

I really really hope we see re-designed mecha on the film... ^_^

I dunno about that so much as seeing additional bolt on equipment for the VF-25 and maybe even the VF-27! Much like how the Strike PACKs made their debut in DYRL...

The gist for episode 18 blurb was that Hiroshi Ohnogi was brought into the staff for that episode onward, and... had a difficult task ahead. The changes early on left the writing staff unsure of where to go with Sheryl's story, so Ohnogi asked Kawamori to put everything in his hands. And... Kawamori did. "It was cruel, because we pushed Sheryl to the limit farther than any other character until the end of the series, but I think this is where we see Sheryl Nome reborn by Ohnogi."

To be honest, this was the most fascinating part of the series fo rme, and partially why I felt that the other characters suffered in comparison. It wasn't that they were badly written, it was just the Sheryl arc was extremely compelling and sad to watch. I think pushing that "punishment" on a character was highly effective, if not a bit uncomfortable. As a result, I think the agony and pain of other characters was dwarfed for me, with the exception being the Klan Klan/Michael resolution .

I completely understand why Sheryl fans are a bit dissatisfied with things. You spend so many episodes tearing down a character, to restore her condition in about 30 seconds in the last ep.

In a way, I wonder how the movie is going to tackle the issue of dying and death in such a short timeframe if it is a retelling. (And if , at all!)

I dunno about that so much as seeing additional bolt on equipment for the VF-25 and maybe even the VF-27! Much like how the Strike PACKs made their debut in DYRL...

You know I'd like to think that SK actually lurks on MW and read your sig, THUS in episode 25 he gave as this scenes: :D

dualwieldinggpbg1.th.pngthpix.gif

screenshottz1.th.pngthpix.gif

dualwielgp2nw1.th.pngthpix.gif

SK going John Woo on us? :lol:

You know I'd like to think that SK actually lurks on MW and read your sig, THUS in episode 25 he gave as this scenes: :D

dualwieldinggpbg1.th.pngthpix.gif

screenshottz1.th.pngthpix.gif

dualwielgp2nw1.th.pngthpix.gif

SK going John Woo on us? :lol:

I hadn't noticed Nene's Q'rea in the background of the first screenshot before.

Now, what are Alto, Michel, and Luca all dressed up for?

Just like so many sharp-eyed and quick-witted people here predicted, Michael did indeed survive a gaping hole in his chest and the vacuum of space, and made it back in time for Sheryl and Alto's wedding. :p

Just like so many sharp-eyed and quick-witted people here predicted, Michael did indeed survive a gaping hole in his chest and the vacuum of space, and made it back in time for Cathy and Ozma's wedding. :p

FIXED!!! :p

It's a common young-boys' school uniform here. It also means that he doesn't have any nicer clothes than his school uniform AND he has no sense of fashion/style/taste in clothes.

What is it with Luca and shorts? Who would wear shorts to a wedding?

It's a common young-boys' school uniform here. It also means that he doesn't have any nicer clothes than his school uniform AND he has no sense of fashion/style/taste in clothes.

Of course he has nicer clothes than his school uniform, he family owns L.A.I. He's got like a bajillion dollars.