Macross Frontier News Thread IV *Read 1st post*

azrael

You don't see many kindergarten or elementary school kids, do you.

Common? Uh, maybe 60 years ago... but that doesn't look like any school uniform I've ever seen here. Far too fancy.

To be honest, this was the most fascinating part of the series fo rme, and partially why I felt that the other characters suffered in comparison. It wasn't that they were badly written, it was just the Sheryl arc was extremely compelling and sad to watch. I think pushing that "punishment" on a character was highly effective, if not a bit uncomfortable. As a result, I think the agony and pain of other characters was dwarfed for me, with the exception being the Klan Klan/Michael resolution .

I completely understand why Sheryl fans are a bit dissatisfied with things. You spend so many episodes tearing down a character, to restore her condition in about 30 seconds in the last ep.

In a way, I wonder how the movie is going to tackle the issue of dying and death in such a short timeframe if it is a retelling. (And if , at all!)

Kind of wonder where Ohnogi would have gone with things if he wasn't constrained by the big sister/little sister theme... seems like Ohnogi is a big fan of drama > plot (cough*Macross Zero*cough), not to mention the change in creative direction midstream, so I guess it explains how alot of loose ends got tied up with 20 second blurbs in episode 25. Like I said over on AS, though... it all makes sense now! Kawamori is a dirty free love hippy with an older sister complex. Still love the man's work, though.

Anyway the rest of the article is about Frontier as a financial and artistic success, apparently sponsors were skeptical at first but now are overjoyed, more and more licensors jumped on board throughout the course of the series, and of course the fact that the ride is not even over yet. Kawamori was pleased that the fandom was split on the ending, but given the number of changes made throughout the series it was to be expected. Leading into Kawamori's favorites and a blurb on each.

There's a bit there about the Vajra as a species, and how they are further along the evolutionary scale. The gist being that there is a scientific theory that postulates that evolution begins with the digestive system, and blooms from there to the heart, and then the mind. It sounds somewhat an actualization theory; that all intelligent species would likely follow a similar path. Once biological needs are met, pursuits of the heart would follow, and from there a species would turn to understanding the secrets of the universe. These are the Vajra.

In regard to the future of the franchise, he basically just talks up romance as the lynchpin of the Macross franchise; and says the lines about society and not having to choose that I'm sure everyone's heard. Then he follows with the line about the movie following DYRL and that pretty much wraps the interview.

Edited by stray

Oh, and a slight revision/addition to the episode 10 blurb... because I think I read previously that the episode was unplanned? So things make a bit more sense in that context. The whole blurb is kind of jumbled, but the gist is that Kawamori always wanted to see (in remembrance of his previous work) how his newer characters would enjoy themselves being able to see a movie about the adventures of his past characters. (hmm... the rationale behind DYRL being an in-universe movie?) The cameo was unplanned. (Ranka's cameo in the movie, since the whole episode was IIRC unplanned?) "But it ended up being counterproductive, as much was demanded of Ranka in later episodes; I don't think it brought her good fortune."

Disclaimer: it's really not clear to me whether Ranka herself became demanding, her character became demanding to the story, or... what makes the most sense is that the the demands placed on her by her newfound fame took her in a negative direction. Take it for what it's worth.

Kawamori on Episode 17 : He's teasing fans who didn't get the pineapple salad concept; it's not fatal for Skull Leaders, just womanizers. That Roy was Skull Leader and a womanizer was just a coincidence.

But Michel didn't eat no stinkin pineapple salad. :( And Roy was already a one-woman-man by that time. :(

And as for the sudden change in direction.....really strange. There was much potential for Ranka's character to be fleshed out as she is shot to fame and becoming the war-hero....but instead we got more of the "make love not war, vajra are our friends" dilemma from her instead. Meh....probably the movie will fix the shortcoming of the series as a whole.

But Michel didn't eat no stinkin pineapple salad. :( And Roy was already a one-woman-man by that time. :(

And as for the sudden change in direction.....really strange. There was much potential for Ranka's character to be fleshed out as she is shot to fame and becoming the war-hero....but instead we got more of the "make love not war, vajra are our friends" dilemma from her instead. Meh....probably the movie will fix the shortcoming of the series as a whole.

The death combination is Blonde guy+womanizer

I'll bet that in the Frontier movie Michel is going to die in his valkyrie, just like Focker in DYRL didn't die on the couch but in his valkyrie.

Impaled in his VF-25 and then sucked to vacuum again...

So Gilliam, Rarania and Michel will have their deaths glorified in the movie?

東京国際映画

ビジョンクリエーター河森正治の世界

Oct. 19

Tokyo International Film Festival

The Universe of Kawamori Shoji

Maybe Macross F Movie info will be uncovered~~

http://www.tiff-jp.net/ja/lineup/works.php?id=237

and....

Sheryl's earring~~~~~~~~~~~~~

http://www.movic.jp/index.php?ctrl=sheet&code=6330

item6330_1.jpg

Edited by kresphy

Thanks! Yet another fabulous mispelling, "Macross Flontier". :rolleyes:

3,000 is not so bad, but I guess I'm just used to all these Macross items being ridiculously overpriced, I was expecting it to be like 10,000 yen. Someone already made their own in the fanworks section, though.

Edited by Renato

Wonder if there's going to be an open forum to ask him questions.

I could imagine the questions:

Q1: "Will Michel survive in the upcoming movie?"

Q2: "Why did you kill Michel, why why"

Q3: "Do you hate Michel that you have to kill him?"

and so on...

:lol:

I could imagine the questions:

Q1: "Will Michel survive in the upcoming movie?"

Q2: "Why did you kill Michel, why why"

Q3: "Do you hate Michel that you have to kill him?"

and so on...

:lol:

Well he was a sniper in a show airing during the so called "Year of Dead Snipers," he really didn't have much chance anyway. :ph34r:

Sales would jump insanely high if English subs were added. Why they aren't in by default, seeing how English is the "universal language" and that anime is quite big in the USA (correct me if I'm wrong), is beyond me (maybe because they fear it might take "Engrish" to a whole new level :lol:).

I'd definitely invest in a BR player just for Macross alone.

Edited by OmegaD3k