The Yamato 1/60 "Destroid" Thread

Lonely Soldier Boy

If im only getting one Destroid, should i get the Tomahawk or the Defender ?

For me the choice was clear. I just cant stand the visor on the tomahawk. It just looks too much like a smiley face. I have seen a kit or two in the past where the sculpt was done so that it did not look like a big silly grin but most tomahawks, not only yamato's, kill me. I love the Defender. The only thing that would make it better would be tomahawk arms!

If im only getting one Destroid, should i get the Tomahawk or the Defender ?

Tomahawk.

It just looks better and more badass. Plus, the Tomahawk's cannons are jointed (ala elbow-style) for better torso-twisting directionality and movement, in contrast to the fixed guns of the Defender.

imho, the Defender is overpriced for the features and stuff you get with it.

Tomahawk.

It just looks better and more badass. Plus, the Tomahawk's cannons are jointed (ala elbow-style) for better torso-twisting directionality and movement, in contrast to the fixed guns of the Defender.

imho, the Defender is overpriced for the features and stuff you get with it.

Thats what im thinking too. The Tomahawk seems to give a little more "Bang for the buck" then the Defender does. But then the defender does look cool.

And so it ends like it always does........i buy both......

Logos!

Thank you for those pics! I was wondering if the Tomohawk arms could fit on the Defender. That is my favorite!!!

My defender is in the mail but the question now is where am I going to get a set of (original colored) Tomohawk arms?!! I wonder if someone would do a recast?

Back when I collected the Exo Squad destroids (because you could still find them in certain stores even up into the early 2000s), I had a custom I did mostly just putting a Defender arm onto a Tomahawk. I loved it. Of course, back then I was primarily collecting them because I was a HUGE Battletech fan ;)

Vostok 7

Get the Tomahawk!!

Yeah, get the...wait a minute! Just because the Tomahawk is bristling with guns and the Defender is a glorified bofors AA gun doesn't mean the Tomahawk is "better".

Okay, I'd get the Tomahawk too. But I'd definitely get the Defender over the Spartan.

Edited by DestroidDefender

Yeah, get the...wait a minute! Just because the Tomahawk is bristling with guns and the Defender is a glorified bofors AA gun doesn't mean the Tomahawk is "better".

Okay, I'd get the Tomahawk too. But I'd definitely get the Defender over the Spartan.

c'mon, dude!

The Spartan's got hands! with fingers! and elbows! and can wield a club or something!

:lol:

Edited by treatment

I'd get the Tomahawk in OD green if you can. I really like how it looks with that dark green color. Just screams for me to pull out a paint brush and add some light colored weathering to it. If they come out with a OD green Defender in the future...........:(

Defender is cool but I am not loving the paint scheme right now. As for features on the Defender the Extra Large set of ammo pods are cool and the rotating radar array on top in movable sensor in the middle are pretty sweet too. It by no means has less features than the Tomahawk. Just less missiles.

Oh and if the Spartan comes with the club I think it's going to look pretty pimp in a "rage" stance with all it's weapon hatches open. Besides in you could fit a couple of Valk gun pods in the hands that would look awesome too! Besides from the line art for the center weapons pod hatch

http://www.new-un-spacy.com/sdfmacross/des...tan-details.gif

it will look pretty cool I think.

I keep thinking back to Battletech on these toys and it screws me up. What's sad is that I can still (after all these years) quote most of the weapon stats from all the mechs from the 3050, 3055 and 3058 tech manuals....

Edited by logos

Got my OD Tomahawk yesterday (yeah, I couldn't wait, so kill me).

Quick question: Is it supposed to come with two sets of stickers, or just one? I only got the special OD sheet with all the white stickers on it, but the main ones like the triangles for the missile hatches and UN Spacy markings weren't on it, so it seemed to me that they would include the standard sheet too, but it wasn't in there. :unsure:

I just opened up the OD Tomahawk I got, and it only comes with the special sticker sheet. Can anyone else confirm this, too? Man, I was hoping it would come with the regular sheet, too, and seeing as how I don't live in Japan, getting one would be a hassle and probably not worth the expense to get one from HLJ (though I got it from an eBay seller). It wouldn't be so bad if the OD sheet at least included some Macross kite stickers in the clear and white of the special sheet, or some of the other stickers found on the regular sheet like the numerals. Oh well, maybe takatoys will make some Tomahawk stickers.

By the way, the knees don't really have any articulation, right? I was somewhat disappointed that the waist pivot articulation from front to back isn't tighter as it tends to flop either forward or backward sometimes. Not a bad toy, but I don't think it was worth the $115 I paid for it. They could have at least thrown in more ground crew figures or even some kind of diorama or more opening hatches with detail. Are those boxes on the sides of the legs supposed to be missile hatches like on the GBP armor?

Thats what im thinking too. The Tomahawk seems to give a little more "Bang for the buck" then the Defender does. But then the defender does look cool.

And so it ends like it always does........i buy both......

The defender is very cool. Lots of detail and fun to disassemble as well.

Graham

Just picked up a Defender. Absolutely amazing toy.

IIRC, the next release is supposed to be the Phalanx.

Graham

Would be nice to see a black and red variant on this one as to get the aiwa nagareru version from the TV series climax battle.

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Just got my Defender, in Mustard Yellow. It's not too unpleasant to look at...

My rating for the Tomahawk is a solid A-. The Defender gets a B++ in my books. Here's a quick rundown.

1. Very solid construction. What's not screwed down tends to be snap-fit plastic, sensibly designed. Very little glue from what I can tell. That's good in a sense, things that might break are designed to snap off instead of break. I managed to dislodge the back vent but a quick push got it back in.

2. Hip posability still sucks. Yes, I know about the drop down hips. It still sucks. :) The arms can be extended out and that's a nice touch.

3. Don't like the sensor eye. The gimmick is cool, the adjustment is not. Considering that you have to take the torso apart each time to tweak the position means it's really just decorative. That the torso had to have the drop down side clamps means more moving parts that isn't really that necessary.

4. Even with the take-apart torso, you can' frankenstein with the Tomahawk. Yes, I've tried. The Defender torso is just too small to use the Tomahawk parts.

5. Cockpit cover is fiddly, and can get lost. Keep an eye on it (of course I don't like it...)

6. Ammo containers, nice, but I've already got a paint chip. Read the instructions before trying to remove, this is one part that might get damaged on removing.. or attempting to remove.

7. Thighs lost the "heat sinks". That's good, less parts to lose.

8. Antenna feels nice and solid, but have to see how it holds up over time.

Overall a fun toy to play with, decent posability especially with the extended arms. You can't expect much from a design that didn't include elbow joints after all. :D It's really a solid, no-frills design with a few fanciful add-ons. The solidity of the design makes it quite fun to play with, but it does lag behind the Tomahawk in terms of presence.

The Weathered Defender looks great. Will try for that one.

Yamato should heavily consider including some missile installation or tech vehicles with the Spartan and Phalanx, and some extra ground crew.

Those models don't quite have the universal appeal of a Tomahawk, and may need those extras to keep sales going.

We won't be able to resist the cool diorama making possibilities and will have to get the remaining two.

Here we go with that weathering effect...yet, again.

http://www.yamato-toys.com/dev/release_015/index.html

DAMNIT!!!! I just paid for my Defender (was going to be the only destroid I get - probably), and it has shipped (SAL) from HLJ and now THIS!!!!?!?!?!? This is what I really want, the weathered Defender!

Does anyone know if this is an exclusive or if it will be readily available via the normal sources? I may decide to resel my incoming defender to pay for the weatehred version. So how do I get this?

Well looks like Jan 23 at noon (Nippon time), will be the limited preorder for members only.

After looking at the pics I think I will pass anyway (I am a member though) because I like the more yellow color of the non weathered version. I may try to do some weathering on mine anyway. Will definitly be doing some gundam marker lining and perhaps more. I am glad that I did not have to obess about this weathered version very long! However we will see what happens when I see actual production pics and reviews.

DAMNIT!!!! I just paid for my Defender (was going to be the only destroid I get - probably), and it has shipped (SAL) from HLJ and now THIS!!!!?!?!?!? This is what I really want, the weathered Defender!

Does anyone know if this is an exclusive or if it will be readily available via the normal sources? I may decide to resel my incoming defender to pay for the weatehred version. So how do I get this?

Come on now, this was inevitable! As soon as they came out with the tomahawk weathered, the defender would definitely be next! It wouldn't make sense to just have the tomahawk weathered while the other destroids are all clean.... ^_^

Come on now, this was inevitable! As soon as they came out with the tomahawk weathered, the defender would definitely be next! It wouldn't make sense to just have the tomahawk weathered while the other destroids are all clean.... ^_^

Do you think that all the destroids will have a normal, weathered and OD version? That would be interesting.

Do you think that all the destroids will have a normal, weathered and OD version? That would be interesting.

I would say definitely yes just so they can milk the mold since this is a new one for them to do so. Look at the tomahawk, it already has two versions, the OD one, and the weathered one. I'm sure they'll make a different colored defender as well. It's just a matter of time. ^_^

From what i understand it's another Yamato website exclusive, for Yamato club members, available for order January 23rd.

1/60 Yamato Destroid Tomahawk Olive Drab Weathering Special

Whoops, gotta look more carefully. ^_^

Edited by BoBe-Patt

First of all super duper props to charger69, the member of the week!

Secondly, WTF??? 4 variants of the tomohawk? I guess they are selling well! No? Yamato is really pumping out the macross merchandise!

And finally I am just so happy that I do not want this one. phew!

Ha! Fantastic job on the lilly pads. I might want one now!

I always thought the OD version needed to tone down the bright white of the missiles. Still do.

I guess they technically would not get dirty if they were covered. It just doesn't look right to me.

I think I am going to just be happy with what I have for now. I like the destroids but I am not going to go out of my way for the weathered version for any of them. I applied some decals to the OD green Tomahawk and the Defender and they look allot better now in my opinion.

Oh and I borrowed decals from both boxes to make something a bit custom.

post-9075-1231968005_thumb.jpg

post-9075-1231968021_thumb.jpg

post-9075-1231968034_thumb.jpg

post-9075-1231968076_thumb.jpg

post-9075-1231968109_thumb.jpg

Edited by logos

Inspired by the pics posted here I took out my Tomahawk again.

The hip joints are to dang loose, floppy even! I've only handled it twice.

He does look great though . . .

I don't know about that. If you look at the last pick I posted you see them balanced on foot! I find that they are stiff enough to hold most posses. Especially the Defender. The Tomahawk is pretty top heavy though so you have to be carefully about that waist joint that could be a little stiffer.

What I really love are those ankle joints. They make the bloody toy! The range of motion is perfect and stiff enough to hold a pose!

Edited by logos