Yamato 1/60 VF-1A/D/J/S v2.0

Dante74

I checked the pins in my hinges - but I can't tell if they are in "correctly" or not. Wierd... but then again - I have no clue how it was possible that my VF-OA's arm broke off and then foot just went and fell into two pieces... I didn't do anything wrong, didn't push the wrong way or pull to hard or anything... pop! snap! (no crackle)... Just like the VF-11B 1/72... I guess that's why they call it a manufacturing defect. If there was some "easy fix" it wouldn't be a defect, but a stylistic issue (like with Beast Wars Rhinox, whose shoulders were mounted on backwards - unscrew, mount correct- done, or like Animated Snarl whose nose apparently was upside-down -snap off/snap on/the snapper! ... ) er...anyways - well... will the day ever come when all of us can rejoice in our fully QC free valk?

I hope so ;)

Pete

I checked the pins in my hinges - but I can't tell if they are in "correctly" or not. Wierd... but then again - I have no clue how it was possible that my VF-OA's arm broke off and then foot just went and fell into two pieces... I didn't do anything wrong, didn't push the wrong way or pull to hard or anything... pop! snap! (no crackle)... Just like the VF-11B 1/72... I guess that's why they call it a manufacturing defect. If there was some "easy fix" it wouldn't be a defect, but a stylistic issue (like with Beast Wars Rhinox, whose shoulders were mounted on backwards - unscrew, mount correct- done, or like Animated Snarl whose nose apparently was upside-down -snap off/snap on/the snapper! ... ) er...anyways - well... will the day ever come when all of us can rejoice in our fully QC free valk?

I hope so ;)

Pete

with the VF-0, graham says that Yamato deduced it was some interaction between the rubber friction pads/rings and the particular formula of ABS plastic making the plastic brittle and weak. Which makes sense from my experience, the the VF-0s had problems with the shoulders but not the bicep swivels since they didn't have the rubber o-rings there while the VF-0a had problems with both cuz it had the rubber inserts at both the shoulder and the bicep swivel joints.

so it wasn't anything you did, the material was going to fail sooner or later.

Well, I got my VF-1J super the other day - absolutely stoked! it's awesome! no crack as of yet to the arm part - as has now happened with VF-1S. The plastic does feel a little different, but I have a feeling it may simply be a paint application (but not sure!). The pin seems to be the same as my 1S, but will let everyone know about the arm if anything does happen.

I must say I really think I prefer the TV fast packs to the DYRL ones - they just seem to go alot better with the color scheme on the 1S (yes and maybe the 1J, but I reckon the 1J looks better without them!!!) - personal preference.

On a related note, the ball jointed right arm on the 1J is a little tight - I think theyve done this to most of the valks because they dont want complaints about floppiness! Its not terrible, but it is tighter than on my 1S (but then, that joint isnt as tight as other peoples complaints...)

Hey thanks for the review! Yeah i agree the 1J looks much better as it's canon no FP/Super self, and am getting one TV FP pack

just for the 1S re-issue one day down the track. Congrats! Still betting the 1J single release will e before the 1S, would like the

1S Hikky to be my first v.2 1/60, but the 1J is soooo iconic, i'll be happy with either one first.

Edited by ruskiiVFaussie

i just got my super vf-1j too while MWF was under maintenance. i'm happy to report that its awesome and has no problems at all! here are some pics i took during the weekend :D Hope u guys dun mind the dirty background as i took them in a factory...

Picture001-1.jpg

Picture002-1.jpg

Picture004-1.jpg

Picture010-1.jpg

Picture016.jpg

Picture027.jpg

Picture032.jpg

Picture038.jpg

Picture040.jpg

this is what hikaru has to say to those who still havent bought their 1/60 vf-1 ver2:

Picture043.jpg

thanks for bearing with the pic spam ;)

happy to hear all the good reports.

In the meantime, my 1/60 ver 2.0 vf-1s shoulder completely failed. The epoxy only held for so long. I requested a replacement from overdrive but in the meantime, I got some think aluminum sheet metal from my local hobby store, cut out a thin strip and used it as a brace. Basically, I made a C clip for the inside of that hinge and glued it in place so that the top of the "C" sits over the top of the hinge and cut a groove for the bottom part of the "C" to grasp onto. That way, when I pull on the arm the stress is supported by the metal brace. Had to sand down a little of the matching part of the hinge to account for the extra width.

happy to hear all the good reports.

In the meantime, my 1/60 ver 2.0 vf-1s shoulder completely failed. The epoxy only held for so long. I requested a replacement from overdrive but in the meantime, I got some think aluminum sheet metal from my local hobby store, cut out a thin strip and used it as a brace. Basically, I made a C clip for the inside of that hinge and glued it in place so that the top of the "C" sits over the top of the hinge and cut a groove for the bottom part of the "C" to grasp onto. That way, when I pull on the arm the stress is supported by the metal brace. Had to sand down a little of the matching part of the hinge to account for the extra width.

my vf-1s roy that i got together with fast packs also has the dreaded hairline cracks on the shoulder tabs, but they are not yet broken... its sad but i think i knew very much the risks of getting the first release.

i gues i'm js glad that eversince the vf-1a, things have been A ok :)

please...someone confirm if the VF-1J shoulder has any fixes?? I want this for xmas!

I think the only person that would know would be a guy in the yamato design/problem fix area - the only think I noticed was that the plastic felt different in my hands, but it could be a paint coating - so unsure. Maybe in a month after 25 transformations will I be able to tell you if there is a problem! B))

I think the only person that would know would be a guy in the yamato design/problem fix area - the only think I noticed was that the plastic felt different in my hands, but it could be a paint coating - so unsure.

Definitely looks different, the shoulder hinge looks like it is molded in a completely different shade of white than the majority of the other parts, unlike on the 1S where the hinge is the exact same color as all of the other white parts.

Hello

I just ordered a VF-1S Fast pack combo and also a VF-1J Fast Pack combo. I didn't realise there is an issue with quality..... I ordered from HLJ and live in Dublin, Ireland.

Should I cancel and wait.... Might be too late though.

I also saw that they will have a VF-1D soon. Will it be general release? I'd love one of those!

Thanks,

G

Edited by GianS

Re-release for Roy's VF-1S w/ Strike Parts in December. Hopefully the shoulder has been fixed for the new release.

http://www.hobbystock.jp/item/view/HBY-ACF-00001341

Cool. So for this December, we will be getting the VF-1S Hikaru DYRL, VF-0S version2 and the rerelease of the VF-1S version2. Thats 3 valks in one month. Yamato really wants to suck the $$$$$ out of us.

From what I've told by the shop I reserved mine, the VF-1D would be released in February.

Hello

I just ordered a VF-1S Fast pack combo and also a VF-1J Fast Pack combo. I didn't realise there is an issue with quality..... I ordered from HLJ and live in Dublin, Ireland.

Should I cancel and wait.... Might be too late though.

I also saw that they will have a VF-1D soon. Will it be general release? I'd love one of those!

Thanks,

G

Cool. So for this December, we will be getting the VF-1S Hikaru DYRL, VF-0S version2 and the rerelease of the VF-1S version2. Thats 3 valks in one month. Yamato really wants to suck the $$$$$ out of us.

On top of these 3, I am also getting the Defender, the M&M Queadluun-Rau, and most probably the Tomahawk OD. So that's 7 units for me! :wacko:

On top of these 3, I am also getting the Defender, the M&M Queadluun-Rau, and most probably the Tomahawk OD. So that's 7 units for me! :wacko:

Good thing Im not a completionist hehehe. Im only aiming for the 1/60 valkyries. And only those that has no or minor quality issues. VF-1S Hikaru come to meeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Good thing Im not a completionist hehehe. Im only aiming for the 1/60 valkyries. And only those that has no or minor quality issues. VF-1S Hikaru come to meeeeeeeeeeeeeee

I don't consider myself a completionist by getting the 0S, the two 1S', Defender and the M&Ms... :mellow:

But for Tomahawk OD, yes...

I try not to be a completionist in the 1/60 v2 line. The 1/60 models still haven't grown on me yet, unlike the 1/48 series (I must admit I am a completionist in 1/48... actually completed it). The major reason for me to get into the 1/60 v2 series, is the non-valkyries.

BTW, I didn't get the weathering Tomahawk, and don't feel the urge to. I am so proud of myself! :p

Probably without the need to pay shipping and full exchange rate, it's much cheaper to buy in where I live. So I need fewer jobs to pay for these relics than many others in the brotherhood. :rolleyes: Still, this would be a bloody December for me. A memory for years to come. :ph34r:

Just completed playing around with my 1/60 VF-1J. Its nice. I like the proportions. My biggest gripe was the shoulder ball joints though. The ball joints were incredibly tight making it nerve wracking to pose the arms. Funnily enough the folding plastic hinge to which the shoulder is attached [the one that needs to be rotated] is a bit loose and doesn't lock in place very well even when you rotate it past the lip on the backplate and into its groove. The hip swing bar clip is a pain to lock and unlock as well and I was having difficulty getting the nosecone and cockpit section to lock into place when transforming from battroid to fighter until I realised that the whole section needs to be slid out a few mm.

Overall its probably aesthetically the best representation of a VF-1 toy I've ever owned but the shoulder and hip joints just give me the heeby jeebies and I still feel my 1/48 is a more solid and safe transformation.

The super pack attachment on the 1/60 is awesome though. The boosters sit really securely with the new clip attachment and the super battroid doesn't feel too back heavy at all.

I've resisted the new 1/60s but the Hikaru VF-1S is my favorite...and I don't own any 1/48s or old 1/55s anymore....gah :unsure:

Easy!!!

Hit the preorder button now :lol:

If you fear first releases because of the QC wait for the pics and sooner or later you will give in!!!

Good Morning! Whats a glorious morning! I just pre-ordered mine too!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Hikaru VF-1S coming at me DecemBAR time!

Why didn't the jerks give us an early bird option though? If it pops up let us know everyone, i'll cancel this and early bird it.

http://www.yamato-toys.com/items/detail.php?gid=1247

Edited by ruskiiVFaussie

Good Morning! Whats a glorious morning! I just pre-ordered mine too!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Hikaru VF-1S coming at me DecemBAR time!

Why didn't the jerks give us an early bird option though? If it pops up let us know everyone, i'll cancel this and early bird it.

http://www.yamato-toys.com/items/detail.php?gid=1247

I don't think there will be an early bird option - its due out in december - I just think they dont want to sacrifice ANY money on this bad boy - they would be pre-sold out in 5 minutes!

I'll probably pass on the 1S hikaru strike - already have the 1A and S; is it worth it to fork out $250 for a red stripe? sigh... probably. Will debate this until its sold out then I'll regret it. But I'll have saved money... then the 1D and 1A low vis with strike parts (please?) will come out and I'll be laughing... LAUGHING!

point. lol. BUT, they could be used pre-atmosphere, launched outer orbit, quickly waste whats in your wake, then jettison

the Armour and carry on with the uber low vis mission. :p Afterall it's only paint, they (assigned group) just want to make it look pretty. :p

I think it's a given they invented the Strike/Super FP parts to be a disposeable item and not used for the majority of a space mission.

schmungbeen mate this will be my first v.2 1/60!!!!!!

Edited by ruskiiVFaussie

point. lol. BUT, they could be used pre-atmosphere, launched outer orbit, quickly waste whats in your wake, then jettison

the Armour and carry on with the uber low vis mission. :p Afterall it's only paint, they (assigned group) just want to make it look pretty. :p

I think it's a given they invented the Strike/Super FP parts to be a disposeable item and not used for the majority of a space mission.

schmungbeen mate this will be my first v.2 1/60!!!!!!

Practicality was never on my mind. I just like the look. I'd imagine in space anything could be stealth if they took all those flight lights off them. Also if they actually used those strike parts in the atmosphere, judging by the way the jet was designed, theyd probably break up in the atmosphere, but that just ruins the fun of it!

RuskiiVFaussie - you enjoy that valk as much as I've enjoyed my VF-1S! Also hope that them arms won't fall apart on you - but seeing as the 1A and 1J I have dont seem to have that problem, you're prolly on easy street! and oh what a street it is! ^_^