Macross Frontier Episode 17 Talkback Thread *READ 1st Post*

azrael

Episode 17 Rating  

208 members have voted

1. 1. Episode 17 Rating

• Positive (I want my Pinapple Salad!!!!!)
    • Neutral/No Opinion
    • Negative (You had your pinapple salad 26 years ago and you didn't like it)

BOMBAA!!

(Okay, I'll stop now. :p )

(Well...not completely. First, I have a P.M. to send to MisaForsaken... ;) )

That's fair, :lol: .

The word is hirou 披露, meaning to annouce, to announce to the public, the world, to declare, to present.

Hmm, that seems like a good possibility, but I don't have time to do more research on it (I've got to get some sleep before I disappear for a few days of RL commitments). The CCs had ゲロしやがって, but that might not be as appropriate as 披露. The basic meaning doesn't really change either way, though.

Edited by creamyhorror

Hmm, that seems like a good possibility, but I don't have time to do more research on it (I've got to get some sleep before I disappear for a few days of RL commitments). The CCs had ゲロしやがって, but that might not be as appropriate as 披露. The basic meaning doesn't really change either way, though.

You are right. It's gero ゲロ, which is the same as haku 吐く, not in the sense "to vomit" but in the sense "to confess", like "to divulge", "spill the beans".

Just finished watching episode 17 and it was all good! Hope there weren't too many people who thought Ozma was going to die this episode, even though they tried their best to make us think that; that seems to be the staple of this series. Even though I still don't like Ozma I was glad he did not die, especially like Roy. That would have just been lame, even though it would have paid homage to the original Macross. I was glad to see Ranka have her first concert, and no I don't feel bad that Sheryl has been pushed to the background. It's obvious by the end of the episode that she will confront Grace about the pills, however given next week's trailer, I don't think miss "I am Sheryl" is going to come out on top. Oh, yes give a round of cheers for Nasase who is moving up in the world!! Happy to see that she'll be designing Ranka"s outfits?? and keeping an eye out for her. I know, I know... she's being used by Grace, but it's nice to see her advance anyway. ^_^

Just finished watching episode 17 and it was all good! Hope there weren't too many people who thought Ozma was going to die this episode, even though they tried their best to make us think that; that seems to be the staple of this series. Even though I still don't like Ozma I was glad he did not die, especially like Roy. That would have just been lame, even though it would have paid homage to the original Macross. I was glad to see Ranka have her first concert, and no I don't feel bad that Sheryl has been pushed to the background. It's obvious by the end of the episode that she will confront Grace about the pills, however given next week's trailer, I don't think miss "I am Sheryl" is going to come out on top. Oh, yes give a round of cheers for Nasase who is moving up in the world!! Happy to see that she'll be designing Ranka"s outfits?? and keeping an eye out for her. I know, I know... she's being used by Grace, but it's nice to see her advance anyway. ^_^

P.S. I forgot to mention... I even enjoyed the Fire Bomber music in this episode!!!! ^_^

BTW... I didn't remember until now to say this, but to everyone who was so sure Ozma would die: I told you so. I never believed he would die because then this show would be repeating SDF Macross way too much. I really think they did this episode well.

In light of what Luca said about the origins of SMS being a transport sevice, the episode "Fastest Delivery" and the SMS theme.

SMS Song

Does anybody else think that SMS originally stood for Speed Miracle Spacy then Richard Bilrer changed it to Strategic Military Services for it formally becoming a PMC.

As I said before based on the theme SMS was originally a Zentran or all male outfit.

I guess equal opportunity laws forced them to accept women in their ranks. Womens groups and Meltrans filed protests of sexism.:heh:

Now that you mention it, you may be right! since they were a transport service before, maybe they were called Speed Miracle Spacey. good catch. :)

In fact, I think someone posted way, way, WAY back when the SMS thread was still open, that the song sounded like an ad for an express delivery service. boy, did he get that right. :)

Edited by dreamweaver13

BOMBAA!!

don't tell me you didn't know this was coming.

Tatta ikkyoku ni ROCK 'N ROLL

Ashita e hibiite 'ku

Asayake no kanata e

Omae wo saegiru mono wa nani mo nai

Edited by d3v

Now that you mention it, you may be right! since they were a transport service before, maybe they were called Speed Miracle Spacey. good catch. :)

In fact, I think someone posted way, way, WAY back when the SMS thread was still open, that the song sounded like an ad for an express delivery service. boy, did he get that right. :)

Well I also thought that the song is inspired Maximillian Jenius' bagging Meltran ace Millia Fallyna.

That girl is an alien... Hit her with big missiles... Spread our seed across the galaxy... We're hot guys.

Even Quamzin admitted this perk of culture, girls.

Zentrans started to realize... Oh so that's why I feel hot why I stare at Meltrans.

Quite a benefit those miclones.

Then there is Richard Bilrer who likes female miclones in maid dresses addressing him as gogoujin-sama.

Yup the wonders of culture.

Well I also thought that the song is inspired Maximillian Jenius' bagging Meltran ace Millia Fallyna.

That girl is an alien... Hit her with big missiles... Spread our seed across the galaxy... We're hot guys.

Even Quamzin admitted this perk of culture, girls.

Zentrans started to realize... Oh so that's why I feel hot why I stare at Meltrans.

Quite a benefit those miclones.

Then there is Richard Bilrer who likes female miclones in maid dresses addressing him as gogoujin-sama.

Yup the wonders of culture.

You forget Exsedols particularly enjoying the Jamming Birds tryouts specifically because he was watching cute girls in Bikinis (much to Max's chagrin I believe).

First off let me say, that Im a HUGE fan like so many here on the boards being a follower since Robotech and Macross:DYRL.

Am i the only one who isnt that thrilled about the choice for the new OP? It just seems to cheapen the whole Macross Legacy but it could just be me.

Also, Shoji Kawamori is really playing it up to fans with Frontier. I wouldve expected he learned a lesson after the not so positive feedback from Macross 7. He specifically wanted to refrain from including past references to past Macross characters and specific events regarding those characters but gave in when he came up with Macross 7. Now theres past references galore in Frontier.

I really do enjoy the walks down memory lane, so to speak, but this is getting a little carried away. Anyhow this wont stop me from watching!

added:

also, i hope people werent hoping for ozma to die and then alto to take over like Hikaru did when Roy died in the original Macross. There just isnt enough story there for alto to be a leader.

Actually, I thought Kawamori-san could have played this episode out with a cliffhanger ending.

After the scene with Cathy discovering Ozma unconscious, Kawamori should have shown a distraught Alto going backstage to see Ranka. He tells her something and then we see her drop the paper airplane she was holding to the floor. End of episode.

That would have brought some intense moments for new and original Macross SDF fans alike, since we will have to wait until the next episode to find out if Ozma survivied.

But then again, that might be more than most fans can handle. :lol:

Actually, I thought Kawamori-san could have played this episode out with a cliffhanger ending.

After the scene with Cathy discovering Ozma unconscious, Kawamori should have shown a distraught Alto going backstage to see Ranka. He tells her something and then we see her drop the paper airplane she was holding to the floor. End of episode.

That would have brought some intense moments for new and original Macross SDF fans alike, since we will have to wait until the next episode to find out if Ozma survivied.

But then again, that might be more than most fans can handle. :lol:

that's actually what we would expect. so even in that sense, SK turned the ball around on us. ;) pause 5 seconds and then... gotcha!! :)

and besides, waiting one whole week for the punchline (that ozma is all fine and dandy) would be in bad taste, i think. it wouldn't work as well as it did in ep17's ending.

Legend718, most are of the belief that the new OP is just for this episode only. we'll have the "real" new one hopefully come next episode (or the one after that).

I wouldve expected he learned a lesson after the not so positive feedback from Macross 7.

What feedback would that be...? Remember that Macross 7 was a hit in Japan, spawning a movie, a sequel OVA, a number of toys and models, and more than twenty different CDs. So some old-school Macross fans didn't like it. I'm sure he cried all the way to the bank.

He specifically wanted to refrain from including past references to past Macross characters and specific events regarding those characters but gave in when he came up with Macross 7. Now theres past references galore in Frontier.

Huh? Where did he say that? He gave up on Macross entirely for ten years, but then came back with Plus and 7 at the same time. I don't think he ever said he wanted only to make Macross stories that had no references to previous events.

I really do enjoy the walks down memory lane, so to speak, but this is getting a little carried away. Anyhow this wont stop me from watching!

I remember when the Deculture Edition first came out, and a bunch of people were ragging on it for being too close to the original series...but lately, that talk seemed to have died down a lot...Not to be rude, but are you following the story? The Vajra? Macross Galaxy? Grace? The political intrigue? Conspiracies? What other Macross story is like this one?

also, i hope people werent hoping for ozma to die and then alto to take over like Hikaru did when Roy died in the original Macross. There just isnt enough story there for alto to be a leader.

And I hope you weren't hoping to hope that people were hoping for that...because I don't think anyone was. Well, not that I saw, at least... ^_^

Great episode! To me it seemed like the show was coasting the past 2 episodes (15 & 16) but now it looks like everything is moving forward again. They really got me with this episode, I was almost ready to open a bottle of Haterade when the end seemed to line up to a T with Pineapple Salad from SDF:M. Glad to see they didn't go that route. It also makes sense as this is the future and all; it'll take more than that to kill Ozma! Even Brera couldn't take him out, in the dark no less!

First off let me say, that Im a HUGE fan like so many here on the boards being a follower since Robotech and Macross:DYRL.

Am i the only one who isnt that thrilled about the choice for the new OP? It just seems to cheapen the whole Macross Legacy but it could just be me.

Also, Shoji Kawamori is really playing it up to fans with Frontier. I wouldve expected he learned a lesson after the not so positive feedback from Macross 7. He specifically wanted to refrain from including past references to past Macross characters and specific events regarding those characters but gave in when he came up with Macross 7. Now theres past references galore in Frontier.

added:

First, on the opening I kinda have a "feeling" that this was a one time deal for this episode, and that the new opening is comming next week; but I do agree that the new OP is not what I expected.

Second, when you speak of the not so positive feedback from Macross7, I believe you are confusing what a number of viewers (myself included) here in the US feel about Macross7. Macoss 7 was popular in Japan, and probably would have done well in the US give the Macross name; but there are those of us who didn't like it. As far as feedback from the US

viewers of Macross 7, I don't think Kawamori got any (at least any that I'm aware of) because Mac7 has not been released

in the US.

Third, Kawamori wants to make each Macross different, but that does not mean he can refer to past series. Heck, he's done

it in every Macross series he's every made.

Finally, I dont think people were "hoping" for Ozma to die, they just theorized he would. As far as what's left of the story, I dont know but, I don't think Alto going to be Skull Leader. ^_^

Ahhh. Aside from the Macross references, there's a funny reference to Gundam SEED season 1. When Ozma intercepts the attack on the Quarter by placing himself in between...

I was pretty sure that they were referencing the part where Mwu protects the ship Capt. Murrue was commanding and then bites it. At least until... he comes back in season 2 on "the other side" as someone else with a bad case of amnesia.

Needless to say, i was amused. It was a clever poke at Gundam SEED and their inability to keep characters dead.

I dunno, it wasn't all that similar a feel to what happened in SEED to me. I don't think it was a reference/nod or anything of the sort, even if Cathy was cosplaying as Miriallia Haw...

I wouldve expected he learned a lesson after the not so positive feedback from Macross 7.

lolwut? Macross 7 was a smash hit. The companies that produced and financed Macross 7 don't give a poo if a handful of Americans bitch loudly about Basara; they're too busy swimming in giant pools of money made from the DVD and CD sales.

Anyhow this episode was awesome; it made me RAGE SO HARD when the flight tech looked in the cockpit, followed by Ozuma's bleeding scene. But Michel's "Wouldn't it have been Dramatic if he died?" comment had me laughing myself into hiccups. Kawamori trolled us, successfully.

Also, hearing Firebomber in this series is always a treat. It's interesting how Frontier has helped tie the disparate series' into a coherent knot for me; all it took was a little reference here, a nod there, and a song now and again.

Edited by Sketch

Hmmm... I wonder what Grace and Sheryl's talk going to reveal? :blink: I'm banking on your a clone of someone else, but could be anything :p

also a little news from wonderfest but dunno if it should be posted here :p Klan Klan PVC fig :D

http://www.flickr.com/photos/xenohawk/2728416529/

Oh boy, wait til Misaforever sees that!

First, on the opening I kinda have a "feeling" that this was a one time deal for this episode, and that the new opening is comming next week; but I do agree that the new OP is not what I expected.

Second, when you speak of the not so positive feedback from Macross7, I believe you are confusing what a number of viewers (myself included) here in the US feel about Macross7. Macoss 7 was popular in Japan, and probably would have done well in the US give the Macross name; but there are those of us who didn't like it. As far as feedback from the US

viewers of Macross 7, I don't think Kawamori got any (at least any that I'm aware of) because Mac7 has not been released

in the US.

Third, Kawamori wants to make each Macross different, but that does not mean he can refer to past series. Heck, he's done

it in every Macross series he's every made.

Finally, I dont think people were "hoping" for Ozma to die, they just theorized he would. As far as what's left of the story, I dont know but, I don't think Alto going to be Skull Leader. ^_^

Alto can't be SKULL LEADER, because its a very MANLY Title and his not MANLY enough. :lol:

I roll my eyes everytime someone says something like that :rolleyes: Usually it's the fans that do the worst damage to a series.

And that was not the new OP, the new OP is Lion. There is always a new song for a new OP.

Also watch this.

after the not so positive feedback from Macross 7

He did get positive feedback in his home country.

He specifically wanted to refrain from including past references to past Macross characters and specific events regarding those characters but gave in when he came up with Macross 7.

It was references to Hikaru, Misa and Minmay.

Now theres past references galore in Frontier.

This is writer Yoshino's fault, Kawamori told the staff to stay easy on references to keep the show understandable by the new watchers, but oh well. There was an interview in the news thread, it was very interesting.

There just isnt enough story there for alto to be a leader.

He won't be a leader also there is someone else with superior rank (Michael).

FV

Phew, I really had a scare when the ozma scene was played out almost exactly like roy focker. When I saw the technician guy all puzzled after peeking into ozma's cockpit, I was thinking, where have I seen this before. Then it dawned on me, damn that was exactly what happened to roy! Thank goodness, they didnt do a roy on him. I guess pineapple cake ain't as strong as pineapple salad.

I was really glad they have fire bomber inserts for this episode. To all macross7 fans, Basara's songs transcend time and space, fire bomber all the way...BOMBER!!!

Oh, and what is that pill in Michel's locker? Is that the 'medication' which grace gives sheryl?

Edited by hikennoace

Am I the only one wondering how Ozma suffered a massive open wound like that in space but no decompression? :)

I think it can be attributed to sci-fi hand-wavium, but come on, run-flat cockpits/spacesuits?

Am I the only one wondering how Ozma suffered a massive open wound like that in space but no decompression? :)

I think it can be attributed to sci-fi hand-wavium, but come on, run-flat cockpits/spacesuits?

I think the current generation of space suits much like cockpits and city domes have a self sealing system.

Heck it could be the practical application of Basara's speaker pod sealant for space suits.

Hmmm... I wonder what Grace and Sheryl's talk going to reveal? :blink: I'm banking on your a clone of someone else, but could be anything :p

also a little news from wonderfest but dunno if it should be posted here :p Klan Klan PVC fig :D

http://www.flickr.com/photos/xenohawk/2728416529/

WOOOO!!!! Me likey :wub: Very nice. :D But of course I'll need a Macro-Klan to go with it. ^_^

I think the current generation of space suits much like cockpits and city domes have a self sealing system.

Heck it could be the practical application of Basara's speaker pod sealant for space suits.

Or maybe they're like those garbage bags that can wrap around sharp points, but the point still dug into Ozma.

Great episode, good trick. Not really anything left to say what's not been said...

Oh, and BOMBA!! :p

Edited by Kelsain

Actually, now that I think about it - other than gg, are all the subbers on vacation? I appreciate what gg does for us, but my current system doesn't play well with the big mkvs. Though the quality's not as good, I prefer divx or xvid (whatever) because it runs smoothly. Hopefully I'll be upgrading soon b/c my mobo's on the fritz and I'll get around that... Until then, what happened to Kei and Lunar?