TR2N

I'm still holding out hope that this is will turn out to be foreshadowing for a sequel. This one left plenty of room for a TR3N, and I'd love to see him as a villain there. ^_^

I like the actor, but hate the typecast he's in. I'd like him to be somewhat more complicated than an outright antagonist (his role in Inception would be nice) but would even like it if he ended up being a good guy, or at least an anti-hero type. He definitely needs to be digitized, though.

Got these both on Blu-ray finally and liked Legacy well enough. I would have preferred if the light cycles had stayed on right angles,etc and REALLY think the original needs a Trek:TOS HD style remaster bringing in the new SFX over the original. I know it was a different/newer/"perfect" Grid, etc but the old SFX just don't cut it anymore, except maybe for nostalgia and maybe humor (kinda like The Last Starfighter).

I like the actor, but hate the typecast he's in. I'd like him to be somewhat more complicated than an outright antagonist (his role in Inception would be nice) but would even like it if he ended up being a good guy, or at least an anti-hero type. He definitely needs to be digitized, though.

Got these both on Blu-ray finally and liked Legacy well enough. I would have preferred if the light cycles had stayed on right angles,etc and REALLY think the original needs a Trek:TOS HD style remaster bringing in the new SFX over the original. I know it was a different/newer/"perfect" Grid, etc but the old SFX just don't cut it anymore, except maybe for nostalgia and maybe humor (kinda like The Last Starfighter).

Don't cut it how? It'd be strange to have higher end visuals & SFX with the processing power of that day.

Edited by Keith

Don't cut it how? It'd be strange to have higher end visuals & SFX with the processing power of that day.

He said that the old FX do not hold up today. Not that they were not good for their day.

Personally I think the old FX hold up fairly well, other then the baggy jumpsuits that looked like oversize diapers - and that might just have been due to the oversize actors playing the guards...

Even though his face wasn't ever really shown, I'd buy a hot toys Rinzler/Tron in a heartbeat. I'd be less inclined to buy Clu, but he would be easily doable as well. They could even offer the lightcycle in multiple colors if it sells well.

I'm kinda surprised to see the actor who played Sam get criticized. I thought all the acting in the movie was great, and in general the movie is one of my favorites. I really hope the sequel brings back Tron. There was no evidence he actually derezzed, so hopefully he returns.

A Sark/MCP/Dillinger's son vs Tron battle would be pretty epic.

I'm kinda surprised to see the actor who played Sam get criticized. I thought all the acting in the movie was great, and in general the movie is one of my favorites. I really hope the sequel brings back Tron. There was no evidence he actually derezzed, so hopefully he returns.

The actor did OK, it's just the role that was stupid. The "I own the company but all I do when I'm upset with them is play a (highly dangerous) practical joke on them once a year" bit was beyond belief.

I would have preferred if the light cycles had stayed on right angles,etc and REALLY think the original needs a Trek:TOS HD style remaster bringing in the new SFX over the original. I know it was a different/newer/"perfect" Grid, etc but the old SFX just don't cut it anymore, except maybe for nostalgia and maybe humor (kinda like The Last Starfighter).

I've got some good news for you: Hollywood has this covered.

Am I missing something in that link? They have lots of remakes listed but I didn't see anything indicating an updated Tron.

Personally, I'd like to see it, but I'd rather resources went to developing new material in that universe such as Tron 3. It's also probably way too much work for such a cult flick. Legacy is much more accessible to general audiences, and I don't think a new coat of paint on the original would do much to change it's status. It's likely not worth the investment.

The actor did OK, it's just the role that was stupid. The "I own the company but all I do when I'm upset with them is play a (highly dangerous) practical joke on them once a year" bit was beyond belief.

But the part where he's digitized and interacts with sentient computer programs...?

Am I missing something in that link? They have lots of remakes listed but I didn't see anything indicating an updated Tron.

Personally, I'd like to see it, but I'd rather resources went to developing new material in that universe such as Tron 3. It's also probably way too much work for such a cult flick. Legacy is much more accessible to general audiences, and I don't think a new coat of paint on the original would do much to change it's status. It's likely not worth the investment.

I think he was referring to "The Black Hole," but I agree, there's nothing significant that could be done to the original that would give any major improvement. After seein gthe remaster on bluray, what is there looks absolutely fantastic.

I was thinking the same thing. It's easy to suspend disbelief when the entire premise of the movie is based around that idea.

Yeah... if you're watching TRON and getting hung up how it's not an accurate portrayal of the inner workings and political infighting of corporate america versus the open source movement, you're watching TRON wrong.

But the part where he's digitized and interacts with sentient computer programs...?

That is the "hook" for the movie. There is the general rule in sci-fi that you can have ONE unreal thing and expand upon it. In TRON that one thing is being able to get digitized and go into the "computer"(*) world. The interactions outside of the "computer" world should be somewhat believable though.

(*) - Quoated since the "computer" world is a stylized implementation at best.

Yeah... if you're watching TRON and getting hung up how it's not an accurate portrayal of the inner workings and political infighting of corporate america versus the open source movement, you're watching TRON wrong.

Then the character should have made the program open source, he owned the company after all. The plot could still have followed along with his getting sucked into TRON land while trying to find the source code. (requires rewriting some of the plot, but that really would not be a bad thing)

I thought the movie did rather well for itself as-is, but it did need a little more exposition. If the Matrix went overboard with the wordiness, this is a movie that needed more. Why are the games being played? Where are the programs who compete in them com from? Are they from the general citizen body or what? And tell us more about the idle programs inhabiting the Grid.

I thought the movie did rather well for itself as-is, but it did need a little more exposition. If the Matrix went overboard with the wordiness, this is a movie that needed more. Why are the games being played? Where are the programs who compete in them com from? Are they from the general citizen body or what? And tell us more about the idle programs inhabiting the Grid.

It looked to be a closed system that Flynn was working on in his basement, so assumedly, all programs there in were either created by Flynn, or ported over from the old system. The games seemed to be entirely for CLU's entertainment, and or his attempt to piss off Flynn. The programs inhabiting the grid were a combinations of original programs written by Flynn, some potentially ported over from the old Encom system, and some of the aforementioned that had been "reporposed" by CLU. This not including the

autonymously appearing ISO's that Flynn's OS seems to have randomly generated, that were subsequently whiped out by CLU.

Now was there access to outside systems since CLU was able to activate the phone-line & call the pager? Hmmm. Perhaps it was a failsafe that only went one way, since that too was something setup by Flynn.

That is the "hook" for the movie. There is the general rule in sci-fi that you can have ONE unreal thing and expand upon it. In TRON that one thing is being able to get digitized and go into the "computer"(*) world. The interactions outside of the "computer" world should be somewhat believable though.

Then the character should have made the program open source, he owned the company after all. The plot could still have followed along with his getting sucked into TRON land while trying to find the source code. (requires rewriting some of the plot, but that really would not be a bad thing)

SCBBWXLZ5E42XESYG2QF7ELFOOB2IFQT.jpeg

Edited by eugimon

SCBBWXLZ5E42XESYG2QF7ELFOOB2IFQT.jpeg

If the face palm is supposed to be a negative comment on my post - sorry but no matter how far-fetched the science in a movie may be it does not excuse the characters acting stupid. (If not, then please ignore)

[edit] - same goes for Lex.

Edited by Dynaman

If the face palm is supposed to be a negative comment on my post - sorry but no matter how far-fetched the science in a movie may be it does not excuse the characters acting stupid. (If not, then please ignore)

[edit] - same goes for Lex.

I think he's trying to tell you that your nitpick is a bit arbitrary. You're making the assumption that "he can take ownership of the company any time he wants, he should just do this." When he is obviously "not" thinking under such terms, and realistically so. He's an angry youth about to pass iinto the age where no, it's not "cool" anymore to act the way he does. He harbors bitterness towards his father for disappearing, and by proxy, his father's company. He "doesn't want" to take charge of it, he wants to play & be irresponsable. He knows he can play & be irresponsable with this dad's company, because they can't really do anything to him. The base comparison is that Sam is just like CLU, angry at KF for abandoning him, and taking it out on the thing his father built.

Edited by Keith

• 3 months later...

So I just watched this on Blu-Ray. I have to say, I enjoyed this go-around much more than my first time. One thing I noticed now is how awesome the music is; it's perfectly atmospheric and uses just enough bass to be in the backgound without over-the-top bombasticness. The plot was much easier to follow, the VFX came together better... basically, this is a movie that I'm now quite pleased with and want to watch again, and again, and again...

So I just watched this on Blu-Ray. I have to say, I enjoyed this go-around much more than my first time. One thing I noticed now is how awesome the music is; it's perfectly atmospheric and uses just enough bass to be in the backgound without over-the-top bombasticness. The plot was much easier to follow, the VFX came together better... basically, this is a movie that I'm now quite pleased with and want to watch again, and again, and again...

It made so much sense to use Daft Punk that I'm surprised Disney actually did it.

Edited by Keith

There's a lot about this film that is unDisney-like, from the almost shocking violence (how many Disney films show people, even mooks, getting shot in the face and leaking out gibs?) to the aforementioned soundtrack. That only made this film that much better.

One of my earlier complaints was that there wasn't enough exposition, and I'd focused on the games as a prime example. Why do the games exist? Why do the resident programs cheer on the gladiators despite not wanting to become one? I got thinking about this and decided that when Flynn made the Grid and all its base code, he was still the overachieving ego maniac who hadn't grown out of his teen years. He prided himself on his game playing ability and that ego carried over to when he started playing God. What better way to play games, and make newer and better games, then by playing them on the Grid? So his Egoness programmed the Grid and its programs to play games for his own amusement and when Clu took over, he made the games into something more sinister as yet another middle-finger to Flynn.

So yay or nay?

But you know, the movie doesn't say whether it was flynn who made the games in the new grid or if it was clu who did it.

As for people cheering for the games when they didn't want to compete, how is that different from the gladiators in the past or war today? How many people wave little flags and call for war but have never served or would want their children to serve?

Violence is entertaining, as long as the violence isn't being done to you. I think it's a universal truth.

according to the Tron Betrayal comic, Flynn made the games but there was no Derezz allowed so those who took part in the games could improve over time as Tron was still the reigning champion while being the head of security on the Grid. It was sometime after CLU came on board and the Grid having so much trouble adapting to the ISO's that the Games started to change and Derezzing was manditory unless Tron was participating. Then Derezzing was slowed down as Tron would not kill another program no matter what they did.