Graham reviews the new Yamato 1/60 VF-1

Shawn

alex: i would have gone ballistic if i were in your shoes man.. hope it's just bad luck.

Speaking of ballistic, the missile boxes don't open btw. No storing of small parts anymore.

And I AM really pi#$ed off. 12000en down the tube if I can';t get a refund.

I really want this to be an isolated case but each of the breakages i've had on just released items have been reported elsewhere.

I'd be pissed too man, I am planning to buy this if I see it in person at a con for a good price, but I'm going to inspect the thing from all angles just to be sure, and hope I am not buying a lemon.

I really want this to be an isolated case but each of the breakages i've had on just released items have been reported elsewhere.

True

Hey any advice on how to avoid breaking the piece that broke on yours? It seems like the hip connection bar and placement in the nose in battroid mode is the area I have seen referenced in other reviews.

The head is just a press fit. It is not supposed to be screwed on.

It is designed to come off, so you can remove the nose cone.

Graham

How about yours Graham? Does the hip bar seem difficult to remove when getting it back into fighter? They've pinned the door in rather than having it click in and out. It would have been better if it had been the latter. As it is, the plastic is way too thin so the pins just tore right through.

Edited by Alex

The reactive armor only showed up for 5 secs. Even the GBP had more screen-time. And the VF-11's had more than that. But they all still fall under the "Star Wars cantina alien" category--people ask for them, no matter how little-known, unimportant, and barely-seen they are.

The only valk that really needs to have full armor made for it as a toy is the VF-25.

IMHO.

More than 5 secs and it sh^t scared DD! Cannot forget the look on his face when the smoke cleared! :lol: Can't really blame it for getting only 30 secs of screen time, it's an OVA epi afterall.

Edited by ruskiiVFaussie

Speaking of ballistic, the missile boxes don't open btw. No storing of small parts anymore.

what other places has reported QC issues??

damn, and I thought Yamato has gone past the first release curse, sorry to hear about your problems man

Pic from 2Chan, posted at ToyBoxDX. I know nothing about this breakage other than the pic, but I do know this shoulder hinge was something I was concerned about.

WTF.. so does that mean that new VF-1 didn't only inherited the zero valks (1st rel) transformation, but also its major issue as well???

:blink::unsure:

Seriously, I don't understand it. Gotta be careful and gentle with these collectibles. I never had any problems with my Yammies, including the VF-0 line. All are still in one piece and the joints are nice and tight (after some modding). Must be lucky I guess.

In any case, this isn't a turn-off for me. Still getting the rest of the 3rd gen 1/60 line. Hope this breakage was not due to QC.

Edited by OmegaD3k

WTF.. so does that mean that new VF-1 didn't only inherited the zero valks (1st rel) transformation, but also its major issue as well???

:blink::unsure:

Apparently, MaveRick, apparently...:rolleyes: This is the most disappointed I've been in a long, long time...

-Kyp

Edited by Kyp Durron

Ok that last picture has me a little worried. However I wonder how much force that person really used on it. Seriously when I held it at AX that shoulder joint felt quiet sturdy and it held up all the days people were handling it. Additionally could this be a choice of bad material, if so why haven't we seen more breakages at the shoulder for the 1/48 as their designed so similarly. Yamato should consider making most of the joints metal to prevent something like this from ever happening.

So far, 1 person with a missing head and swing bar damage and this shoulder incident. If there is anymore of this non sense I'm not impressed with Yamato's quality control. The most recent valks were perfect (Nora, YF-21, VF-0 w/ghost, YF-19 W/ booster etc) why does this re hash of the beloved VF-1 have these problems. I hope the incidents will stop coming in.

It's also possible that the shoulder hinge was already stressed or cracked from the factory, maybe the arm got twisted somehow. If dozens of people experience the same breakage then we'll know it's a real problem.

Pic from 2Chan, posted at ToyBoxDX. I know nothing about this breakage other than the pic, but I do know this shoulder hinge was something I was concerned about.

Oh, for the love of poo! :wacko::blink:

Well, mine is already on its way from Toyntoys , so I might as well light a candle and hope it's just an isolated QC fluke and not a design fart up. :(

Anyways, here is one of those image heavy two part picture review:

http://gamu-toys.info/goukin/yamato/60vf1s/01.html

http://gamu-toys.info/goukin/yamato/60vf1s/02.html

The long neck doesn't stand out so much in these pics.

Whoa, news of QC problems is not what I wanted to hear. I'm totally happy with the design and proportions of the toy from what I see in pictures. I just hope it's not a floppy, crumbling mess in reality.

At least we know Yamato fixes these problems for later releases. But if my 1/60 shows up missing a head, I'll probably throw it against a wall. I've been waiting so long for this -- it better be perfect!

Regarding head/neck height: I'd suspect that the appearance could be adjusted by how you place the chest plate---if it's not "slid all the way down"---the head wouldn't look as high. I think that's what's going on in these pics:

http://gamu-toys.info/goukin/yamato/60vf1s/02.html

:edit: Specifically, compare these two pics:

http://gamu-toys.info/goukin/yamato/60vf1s/DSC08668.JPG

http://gamu-toys.info/goukin/yamato/60vf1s/DSC08685.JPG

That's not the photo angle, the chest plate is several mm higher in one than the other.

:lol: Had hundreds of toys in my life and never broken one...except for one of every yamato toy i've owned: 1/60 backpack hinge, 1/48 backpack hinge, and my vf-11's hips eventually broke when I shipped it.

garlands, -0As, tab Bs...it's almost mandatory that something is prone to snapping with everything they release.

hopefully this shoulder is just a freak accident

It will be interesting to have a poll in a few weeks to see the precentage rate of members who have the new V.2 1/60 VF-1S that have problems. So far the precentage is high but it may be in the numbers.