Macross Ace Frontier for the PSP.

For those who can't stream...

The game feels too much like Gundam Battle Universe which I didn't really like. The gameplay is too shallow. :(

:wacko:

Gameplay is very boring and stupid. Very similar to Robotech: BattleCry, though models of valkyries are quite good.

This is one of the reason why I started my macross game project - there is no good macross game.

What the hell happened?? :blink:

I'm much more excited about this game than I ever was about the Frontier TV show itself. I've not played the Gundam games myself but this thread is full of nothing praise for them, and as soon as an incredibly awesome new two minute trailer for AceFrontier comes out, we get two complaint posts in a row?

This is the first I've heard about those Gundam games being bad. Please don't jinx it, I really want this game to be every bit as amazing as it appears to be.

The game feels too much like Gundam Battle Universe which I didn't really like. The gameplay is too shallow. :(

You haven't played it, so you can't say that. Maybe it just doesn't have enough lolita action in it, for you?

:wacko:

Gameplay is very boring and stupid. Very similar to Robotech: BattleCry, though models of valkyries are quite good.

This is one of the reason why I started my macross game project - there is no good macross game.

Again, you haven't played it so you can't really say how boring or stupid it is.

Jumping aboard the hate train at this point is ridiculous because nobody has played it yet.

You haven't played it, so you can't say that. Maybe it just doesn't have enough lolita action in it, for you?

Again, you haven't played it so you can't really say how boring or stupid it is.

Jumping aboard the hate train at this point is ridiculous because nobody has played it yet.

Judgemental aren't we. :rolleyes:

I'm not on any hate train...i'm just stating my reservations that it looks like it plays like recently released Gundam Battle Universe (same makers are making this game)....which I personally do not feel was a great game. GBU's missions were all generally the same with very uninspired maps and missions objectives which were "kill everything that moves and spawns".

Btw, leave my lolis out of this. ^_^:angry:

I think for a handheld game, the video we've seen is pretty great. And yeah, the gameplay in the Gundam Battle games CAN be VERY shallow if you use certain mechs and weapons. And seriously, this is a handheld game. The controls will be a little limited b/c of the PSP's design, but it looks like they are doing a lot with what they have to work with other than using the d-pad to move instead of the thumbstick, which I still feel is a dumb move. But overall, this game looks fantastic for a PSP game.

In the Frontier news section in the TV series forum, Kresphy just posted a link to the new Macross Ace Frontier commercial.

mms://221.243.119.235/macross_acefrontier/pv2_1009_1m_df87.wmv

The game looks even more awesome.

And it's confirmed, you can customize the colors of your mecha!

Graham

COOL!

Well I for one would keep my PSP for a little while longer just to play this game. I like the fact you can choose customized colors for your valkyrie....that's a sale right there for me. These next few months I'm just gonna be CRAMMED with Macross goods.

if its anything like GBU, all the missions will be seperated by timeline and valkyries have to be unlocked as you complete more missions. Pilots are unlocked by getting A or S rank on various missions.

40 VFs!!! :blink: I believe thats include power armors and destroids right? I wish I could play as SDF-1 with Macross Cannon and M3 as ranged attack and Daedalus maneuver as melee attack :lol:

if its anything like GBU, all the missions will be seperated by timeline and valkyries have to be unlocked as you complete more missions. Pilots are unlocked by getting A or S rank on various missions.

I just hope they eliminate they let you use any valk from any timeline after beating all the missions like in the GB series. And for those of you on the board who aren't skilled enough to get A or S on all ranks, most pilots were unlockable by finishing certain stages but could be unlocked much earlier if you got an A or S rank on certain missions. Same goes with unlocking mechs in GB.

A smal scale SDF would be cool. Maybe even all the various ones as secret unlockables??? That would rock.

Edited by protostar8

I dont play many games, and I dont have PSP, but I would buy one if this will work on USA based PSP? Or do i have to get some kind of emulator like the other stuff to play Outside based games? If I have to go that way, its not worth it.

Okay. Let's go over this one last time. Maybe a mod can somehow make this stand out more so everyone will read it. And again, PSP modding from what I understand is NOT illegal as it is a software mod, not a hardware mod.

QUICK INFO GUIDE ABOUT PSP MODDING

NOTHING TO DO WITH INSTRUCTIONS ON HOW TO MOD

PSP's can play GAMES from ANY region.

PSP's can ONLY play MOVIES from the region the PSP was bought in.

PSP's once MODDED can play MOVIES from ANY region.

MODDING requires NO MOD CHIP, it's all software mods. Though you do need either a battery tool or a pandora's (modified) battery to install the software.

MODDED PSP's can play games/movies/applications/etc. from the memory cards (for the most part, there are a few exceptions where a game has to be in the PSP, but it won't be what's played, the PSP just needs to think that it's playing the game by spinning a disk. If you keep a game in your psp at all times, then you don't have to worry about this 99.9% of the time).

Feel free to ask any questions not answered above.

Edited by protostar8

Okay. Let's go over this one last time. Maybe a mod can somehow make this stand out more so everyone will read it. And again, PSP modding from what I understand is NOT illegal as it is a software mod, not a hardware mod.

MODDING requires NO MOD CHIP, it's all software mods. Though you do need either a battery tool or a pandora's (modified) battery to install the software.

MODDED PSP's can play games/movies/applications/etc. from the memory cards (for the most part, there are a few exceptions where a game has to be in the PSP, but it won't be what's played, the PSP just needs to think that it's playing the game by spinning a disk. If you keep a game in your psp at all times, then you don't have to worry about this 99.9% of the time).

.... But what would Michael Cain do??

K after watching that movie, I have to say, right now, the biggest downside to this video game is this ONE thing:

ALL OF THE SFX'S ARE THE SAME AS THE GUNDAM GAMES

There isn't a single Macross related SFX to the game...that is such a huge let down as I would of LOVED hearing the gunpod flack from the VF-25...or the classic transformation sounds.

Additional information:

The upcoming PSP 3000 (to be released in Oct) CAN'T be modded. And apparently the PSP's released lately include a different motherboard that also can't be modded.

K after watching that movie, I have to say, right now, the biggest downside to this video game is this ONE thing:

ALL OF THE SFX'S ARE THE SAME AS THE GUNDAM GAMES

There isn't a single Macross related SFX to the game...that is such a huge let down as I would of LOVED hearing the gunpod flack from the VF-25...or the classic transformation sounds.

Uh, but Gundam and Macross and many other robot shows from Japan in the 80's use the same SFX library and many of the same sound effects are in both shows all the time. Like the computer shutting off noise from DRYL in the Protoculture city is in Gundam all the time. They use the same robot stompy sound effects and stuff like that.

Additional information:

The upcoming PSP 3000 (to be released in Oct) CAN'T be modded. And apparently the PSP's released lately include a different motherboard that also can't be modded.

I know I meant to post here on how to mod your PSP but others have posted a lot of what I was going to say since.

IIRC my first gen PSP was a 1.1 firmware version when I bout it in Japan. I updated the firmware with a game I bought with it to 1.2 then at some time I down loaded the 1.5 verson. My friend found a downgrader that puts it back to 1.1 and then upgrades to the modded firmware. I now have the brick proof firmware installed and every newer moded version of firmware that comes out can just be installed from a memory stick, without the posibility of bricking my PSP.

I am no expert when it comes to this but this was done without the pandora battery and uses firmware modded by darkalex. Later firmwares and newer PSP's will need the Pandora battery trick to mod because AFAIK nobody has made firmware that will go straight on like the older versions of the firmware.

Sony fixed the loop hole and newer PSP's all leave the factory already with an Alex proof firmware on them, so only the battery trick will work. Thats not to say that some one will get round it eventually.

Additional information:

That's right, because you can't hack what isn't out yet. Expect it to be hacked a few days after it's released.

Edited by yellowlightman

Uh, but Gundam and Macross and many other robot shows from Japan in the 80's use the same SFX library and many of the same sound effects are in both shows all the time. Like the computer shutting off noise from DRYL in the Protoculture city is in Gundam all the time. They use the same robot stompy sound effects and stuff like that.

Not 100% factual, but close. As a mixer, Gundam and Macross use similar sounds but have many different styles. If I was at my PC Id give examples.

However for Ace Frontier, the sfx library is identicle to the last set of Gundam games. Which is a bit of a let down cause I liked the unique transformation sounds from SDF-Frontier.

That's right, because you can't hack what isn't out yet. Expect it to be hacked a few days after it's released.

That's what many people said about the PS3 and so far... nothing. Still, I hope that's true.

BTW, the latest PSP's with the new motherboard haven't been hacked yet...

Anyway, there are moddable PSP's still available and most important, the game should be out in a couple of weeks :)

From Side-BN Vol.39 October 2008

Confirmed song list:

SDF:M

- Ai Oboeteimasuka *

- My Boyfriend is a pilot *

- shao pai lon?

- ???

- Macross

- Dogfight

- Zentraedi

PLUS

- Information High *

- After in the dark

- Torch song

- Fly up in the air -tension

- Totsugeki Love Heart *

- Holy Lonely Night*

- My Friends *

- Try Again *

- Planet Dance *

F

- Lion *

- ?????

- Don't be late *

- Aimo

- Triangular

- The Target

* Including vocal track :ph34r:

Fire Bomber fans, prepare yourself for massive BOMBAAA!!!!

post-653-1222322905_thumb.jpg

post-653-1222322910_thumb.jpg

post-653-1222322917_thumb.jpg

post-653-1222322922_thumb.jpg

Actually, it's likely that the PSP 3000 has the new motherboard in it which is causing hackers a little bit of grief at the moment. However, it's only a matter of time before they crack it. Think of it like a psp 1000 when it was released, it takes time to learn how to manipulate things when they are brand new. There wasn't any modding stuff (from what I can remember) on day 1, and even then it took a long time to get good custom firmware. So just give it time and for now, pick up a psp 2000 b/c the screen really isn't bad (hell, I have a psp 1000 and I think the screen is just fine on the brightest setting). It's on of those things where it might be nicer to have a brighter screen, but you shouldn't need it and likely won't regret getting a psp 1000-2000 if you find one used (buying new might end up getting you a motherboard that currently can't be modded).

Edit: Try Again as a vocal track...now I'm all giddy with glee! J/K, but it is one of my favorite songs from the Macross franchise. Add to that Information High and I'm all set for the game. No adding your own soundtrack to this one (it can be done with an advanced level of skill in modding and hacking of PSP's and PSP games from what I understand)

Edited by protostar8